Jesus Christ, why are they so stingy?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17201687
most-expensive.com/oscar-statues
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>a ceremony by jews, for jews
>is surprised by stinginess

>15 grand for one night of work
>do a short stand-up routine then spend then just delegate most of the ceremony to random celebs

And now here to present the award for...

The statue value is from auction value, it costs a few hundred bucks to make a statue.

FAKE NEWS

>$42 million for everyone in Hollywood to blow each other on tv for four hours

i doubt its true, wheres your source

and how much did ricky gervais get paid ?

Is he the best "talent" to ever host the oscars?

it's a small budget compared to some big movies

This. They would not be giving out 50 statues if they were 700K a pop.

But movies make money, I can't imagine they get a lot from selling the livestream to a half dozen cable channels around the world.

You're forgetting all the baskets they give out with 10-30k worth of shit

you need to see the big picture famalam, they are not selling the actual show. Next time they make a movie they'll slap "from academy award director..." or "academy award winner/nominee..." in the trailer.

>they give

That stuff is gratis from companies like Apple and shit who then write it off their taxes. It's not paid for by the organizers.

Wrong. A mess up, one not even your fault, could ruin your career losing you millions. That requires compensation.

I'm pretty sure they have no auction value because by accepting an Oscar you enter into a contract which allows the Academy buy-back priority for $1 guaranteed before any other sellers.

>Is he the best "talent" to ever host the oscars?
wait, gervais hosted them? I don't think so.

I can't believe the Oscar is worth that much.

I think it's 10 bucks, actually. And they're valued at around 700 bucks.

Which goes to show OP's graphic is bullshit.

>implying those statuettes are worth that much
just the outer layer is gold, most of it is just heavy shit.

>I'm pretty sure they have no auction value because by accepting an Oscar you enter into a contract which allows the Academy buy-back priority for $1 guaranteed before any other sellers.
I saw a tv show talking about oscar celebrity bullshit and there was a dude who had a pawn shop for rich people and he had an oscar by some winner and gave him money for that in exchange. he obviously didn't show it, because you can see the name

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17201687
>A collection of 15 Oscar statues sold for more than $3m (£1.8m) at an auction in Los Angeles, just two days after the Academy Awards took place.

The clause is real, though. Maybe he just pawned it. That said, how is the Academy going to know if someone sold it?

If they ever hear about it sold and the person it was awarded to didn't report it stolen.

That said, these guys are clearly lying/wrong because they have been sold, as mentioned in and other links which you can easily google, like most-expensive.com/oscar-statues

>bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17201687

Do you read the articles or just look at headlines?

>Normally, winners are banned from selling their awards, but these prizes were handed out before that rule came into place, in 1950.

The sale included Oscars for the films Wuthering Heights and Citizen Kane.

The highest bid in the online auction went to Herman Mankiewicz's Oscar, which he won in 1941 for the screenplay to Citizen Kane.

The award, which had previously been sold in 1999 by Christie's auction house, fetched $588,455 (£369,556).

Last year, Orson Welles' Academy Award for the same film sold for $861,542 (£541,083).

The 1934 best picture Oscar, which was presented for the Noel Coward adaptation Cavalcade, went for $332,165 (£208,597).

In a statement the Academy said: "Members and the many film artists and craftspeople who've won Academy Awards believe strongly that Oscars should be won, not purchased,"

"Unfortunately, because our winners agreement wasn't instituted until 1950, we don't have any legal means of stopping the commoditisation of these particular statuettes."

The 1950 agreement is still signed by all Academy winners. It states that Oscar statuettes can only be sold back to the Academy for the nominal sum of $1 (63p).
They were all old Oscars from the golden age.

>15,000
>compensation

Ah, so you admit they can be sold and the estimate in the OP is in fact pretty good based on those sale prices?

how the fuck do you enforce that? do winners have to sent the academy a weekly photo with a current newspaper to prove that they still own it or what? hell no

>A mess up, one not even your fault, could ruin your career losing you millions

Wrong. James Franco was pretty much as terrible as anyone could ever be and his career is stronger than ever.

which career was ruined by that? I can't think of one, there were plenty of shitty hosts over the years, but I can't remember one whose career died after it

Nope. Because the value is based on the fact that they can't be sold anymore. What's more, they're old Hollywood awards for iconic movies.

technical oscar for good lightning or whatever the fuck they give out there isn't worth a lot.

>$696,000
are they solid gold? at the current price of gold each statue would have to weigh ~38 pounds

that seems pretty heavy considering how easily people manage to hold one

Just gold plated. The very first ones were gold-plated solid bronze. Those must have been heavy.