Anyone here miss Grantland?

Anyone here miss Grantland?

Other urls found in this thread:

grantland.com/features/the-consequences-caring/
grantland.com/features/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps/
youtube.com/watch?v=eLzKQUHiTto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hi bill

Yes. The Ringer is a disaster, the inability to rehire the good writers from Grantland shows

>10,000 word articles
>100 footnotes
>zero editing

nah

>Against All Odds Podcast
Is this the best podcast on the Ringer network??

I'm center-left and even I can't stand that site

Grantland was always going to be first on the chopping block once ESPN started having money problems, it was an insanely expensive site. That said, I do miss it.

>I'm center-left
What does that have to do with this?

I don't think Bill Simmons really knows anything about basketball, so his opinions are pretty much worthless.

I don't really miss long form sports writing. It was overly indulgent and wanky.

Bill Simmons wrote the book of basketball...

exactly. it was 1000 pages of bullshit. The 60s celtics were not the GOAT and he doesn't have any idea what makes a good basketball team or a good basketball player.

He has no playing experience and was only an armchair fan.

ok then mr. expert, what exactly does he get wrong?

Well he's wrong about Bill Russell. His Celtics homerism blinds him to the fact that Russell is probably more like the sixth or seventh greatest player of all time, instead of the second, which is where Simmons puts him. If it weren't for his masters at ESPN continuing to push Jordan, Simmons would probably have Russell at the top of the list.

I miss Norm Macdonalds articles. Begs the question why does everything based Norm touches turn to dust?

And yet he still knows even less about baseball and football.

>giving weight to championships in consideration of athletic legacy is a crime

>Disregarding the talent discrepancy between the 50-60s and the 90-00s

Such a great collection of sportswriters. Generally avoided the pop culture half of the site tho

>you will never listen to bill barnwell and robert mays talk football again

you do know his everyman shtick was what led him to success right? obviously those wear out, so you have the backlash against him when he has every tool, game, player, whatever at his disposal in order to make more professional, qualified opinions

Guess the lines and against all odds are probably the only good things from the ringer, maybe the bill Simmons weekly piece (sometimes)

Everything else is pretty weak, though I still read it because I have nothing else to do at work

I used to really like the BS report when it was on espn. Bill had some really good guests on. On the ringer most of his guests aren't related to basketball, and he always goes on about his daughters soccer

At least the lowe post is still decent

I should read more of their articles. Here are two that I liked. Both basketball related

grantland.com/features/the-consequences-caring/

grantland.com/features/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps/

Miss it nearly every day. Was a fantastic blend of sports and pop culture. Some of the writers he had on there were amazing.

Rembert Browne is a piece of shit

zzzzzzzzzz. i dont like that people like you who dont know any better are mad at that. he is just posting whats acceptable, what other people let him type. it's like not letting your children get too rowdy. the current twitter atmosphere is laughable, and statements like those get applauded all the time. don't blame the child that is trying to see what he can get away with, blame those who enable this type of behavior. and you know exactly the type i mean.

on a related note, google "patrice o'neal white slave" and watch that bit, its hilarious.

I miss Bill Barnwell and Robert Mayes. The Grantland NFL Podcast was one of the non-work family workout food or dog related highlights of my week for a long time.

Patrice Oneal was an equal opportunist, Rem ONLY rags on white ppl. Big difference

youtube.com/watch?v=eLzKQUHiTto

I didn't come here to feel today.

That's why I said on a related note, genius. It's not the same note.

fuck those faggots

It means they're the type of writers who go out of their way to not say Redskins.

You drew the correlation and I showed the difference.

Apparently, according to Kevin Clark, if the Eagles win the super bowl it doesn't mean they're a good team it just means the NFC is bad.

If you listen to the podcast, that was always very clearly tongue-in-cheek. Mayes and Barnwell, at least, thought the whole thing was ludicrous.

he always was better with getting the right talent to surround him. Like zach lowe, washington wizards fan, and jalen rose were great at analyzing. but man does he know shit

yeah he was only acting retardd

It was too good for this world. Disney couldn't afford to give the content away, yet putting it behind a paywall like ESPN insider would have killed it even faster. A shame really, especially when you consider their representatives have stated on the record that "The Undefeated" will continue to be funded regardless of profitability.

if you arent yelling "hot takes" you arent in sports anymore

>WENTZ GETTING HURT IS A BIG BLOW TO THE EAGLES SKIP

bills mistake was not being black clearly