Merry Christmas /who/

Merry Christmas /who/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12511589/
change.org/p/bbc-give-the-master-missy-from-doctor-who-their-own-series
youtube.com/watch?v=OEq7aUYF9jI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for RTDfags fuck off, especially if you're new.

i hope this is fake news

they're fake.

well, some are. (god, when did episode titles become SO CONSISTENTLY SHIT)

Aliens disguised as Humans taking over the Government is pretty good I thought. At least for Doctor Who, I don't think it had been done before on the show. But imo the Slitheen were pretty bad and the fart jokes ruined it. Should have used the Zygons.

kek, I said THE FIRST PLANET the other day

Someone's been reading /who/

/lbg/ say hello :3

fake. the haunted hub was confirmed by moffat as the title of the bartlett one.

eaters of light is pretty good I think.

Just saw Sammi Carter's video on this]

It's worth it for when he says "And if you're a cold-hearted fan..I mean, an old-school fan..."

>still not making a thread about the basement
you have failed /who/

>fake. the haunted hub was confirmed by moffat as the title of the bartlett one.
True but titles can (and have) change right up to the last minute

I don't necessarily disagree that Eccleston was the best thing about the series, but I find every series 1 episode to be comfy good times at worst and GOAT at best. Even le farting aliens don't ruin any episodes for me.

But series 9 had the best episode titles.

This.

basement

basement jaxx

basement jacks

basement jack harkness CONFIRMED

true. where's that picture even from though?

Why would Capaldi keep Hartnell / McGunn / Chris Marshall / Hayley Atwell in the basement anyway?

It actually makes sense with Hayley Atwell if you think about it.

>But series 9 had the best episode titles.
Really?

Just cos they mirrored each other... they were mostly shit. Whoever decided "The Zygon Invasion" instead of "Invasion of the Zygons" should be shot

when have they ever changed a title last minute?

I thought it had been determined that it was Missy that had them locked up.

"Forest of the Dead" was "River's Run" right until the week before it aired.

Nothing has been determined except there's something locked in the basement.
How do people know its from the finale though? What if its something from the middle of the series that has nothing to do with anything in the finale?

The only one I can think of is The Claws of Axos, which even had titles made for "The Vampire from Space".

But that was quite a while ago...

When will people care about Doctor Who again? Last time they did about halfway into series 6, after that they were never able to hype it up again as before.
DotD is the exception.

Series 10

Never.

Chibbers will kill even the hardcore fandom before getting the show cancelled after series 13.

strawpoll.me/12511589/
strawpoll.me/12511589/
strawpoll.me/12511589/
>KEEP POSTING POLL UNTIL EVERYONE IN /WHO/ HAS ANSWERED IT

Marketing team is doing poorly so far.

People don't care about Doctor Who.

Fans care.

Kids care—and not the same kids as 10 years ago, because those aren't kids anymore, and anyone who still cares is now a fan.

And that's the way it's supposed to be. Shows for normal people run for 3-7 years. Doctor Who ran for 26 years, and would have run longer if JNT didn't lose the kids.

Fuck you, poorly designed aliens, shoehorned humour and homosexuality are the cornerstones of science fiction.

>McGunn

The public lost interest after Tennant.

They just need to play the new trailer on TV every time something popular is on. The trailer's fucking great, even Gareth thinks so.

Surely every few years, the show should be aiming to capture a new generation of fans, not just cater to the ones who've grown up with it since 2005

It's a sort of meme.
Series 1-6a were popular and people were actually interested in watching it. After that it all went to hell, normies and not us totally given up on the show.

By fans here, I mean the show should be aiming to appeal to a whole new generation of kids who've never so much as watched any Who before.

Dylan's not British stop claiming our god tier comedians and actors. Literally nobody here in England has a problem with an Irish Doctor from the republic, only Scottish rangers fans and those guys British orangemen in Ulster would give a shit about a Doctor from the ROI. Brits and Irish have the same humour and culture even if elements our society like to think otherwise .

>Surely every few years, the show should be aiming to capture a new generation of fans
Yes. As I said:

>Kids care—and not the same kids as 10 years ago, because those aren't kids anymore

The episode titles are fake - episode 11 is Return of the Cybermen and episode 12 is Return of the Humans

I know this because I know someone who went to set last week.

>Just cos they mirrored each other...
Pretty much. Plus The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar was pretty clever, not only referring to the different roles Clara plays in each episode but playing on the fact the Doctor and the Master as opposites. The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived represents Ashildr's progression while implicitly comparing her to Amy. Heaven Sent/Hell Bent doesn't have a very clear meaning but at least they sound cool.
>Whoever decided "The Zygon Invasion" instead of "Invasion of the Zygons" should be shot
>it's an X of the Y title
Boring.

I'll be amazed if those are real. I'm pretty sure they'll come up with something a little more exciting than "Return of the Cybermen"

Capaldi uses his regeneration energy to heal the Mondas Cybermen of their wounds.

The Master isn't a strong enough character to carry his/her own series, most of his/her plans fail chaotically. Only in Sound of Drums and Dark Water does he do everything correctly.

>Heaven Sent/Hell Bent doesn't have a very clear meaning but at least they sound cool.

Oh, so fuck the actual episode. As long as it sounds cool, who cares!

>"boring" X of the Y"

Implying "The Zygon Invasion" isn't also boring

Time of the Doctor also got 11 million viewers.

What are the worst Monsters and aliens that have appeared in the show? by worst I mean baddly written, stupid even for Doctor who and of terrible physical design.

The Master needs the Doctor to bounce off, hence the character only works in Doctor Who.

If the Master got a spin-off, people would be asking "where's the Doctor", then you introduce him and you've essentially got Doctor Who again anyway.

the Vervoids

That's why you expand the character and give them more dept. For example Angel was a terribly boring character in buffy the vampire slayer, but then they expanded his character and gave him his own show and his series surpassed buffy's in many respects. I remember everyone saying they would never make an Angel spin-off as he was not a strong enough character. Now look.

Probably off the back of the 50th hype and Matt leaving.

There isn't a wave of hype to ride this time around - I bet Capaldi's finale is lucky to get 6m on the day. Maybe a peak of 7m if people are curious about the new guy.

Most of the Pertwee monsters.

>Implying "The Zygon Invasion" isn't also boring
Why didn't they call it "Truth or Consequences" ffs. Too obvious? Gotta be better than "The Zygon Invasion/Inversion" though.

Skovox Blitzer and the Ice Queen from Series 10

Mysterio had a final rating of 7.83.
I think the S10 ratings could potentially be pretty good.
We'll have to wait and see though I guess.

Baddly written
>The Cybermen
Stupid even for Doctor Who
>Lazarus Monster
Terrible physical design
>Erato

Dear god Gatiss' episode looks bad this time.
> this shitty ice queen design

>this time

There really is no big change.

Doctor Who had one series with low ratings in England—while it had record-breakingly high ratings in the rest of the world, and while every other popular show in England also had low ratings. Trying to make some big trend out of that about series 7-9 is silly bullshit.

Of course the English entertainment press is made of silly bullshit., and Moffat doesn't know how to play them the way RTD did, but they really don't matter. The only thing they actually know is what the people who go to the same parties as them are watching.

Gatiss' episodes are always shit

>implying the general British public haven't lost interest and are still talking about and loving it the same way they did during 2005-2009

I pretend those Cactus people didn't exist. They were stupid even for Doctor Who. Most of RTD monsters and aliens were pure shite. Moffat generally tended to make ''realistic'' monsters which I prefer.

The Fisher King is an example of a Kino who Alien.

>Oh, so fuck the actual episode. As long as it sounds cool, who cares!
Pretty much. I mean isn't the point of a title mostly to make the episode sound interesting? Any kind of deeper meaning is a bonus, one that a lot of series 9 titles have. I mean obviously you can't just give misleading titles but slapping something vaguely evocative on a thematically rich pair of episodes is fine.

>Implying "The Zygon Invasion" isn't also boring
It's better than Invasion of the Zygons.

That would be a pretty good title. I don't know what they'd call the other one though. They probably considered it.

>fisher king
>kino
>literally a top heavy costume with a poor bloke stumbling around in it for 5 minutes
>It's better than Invasion of the Zygons.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. There's something pretty comfy about X of the Y, especially with bigger known monsters IMO

Honestly the only really dissapointing one was Sleep no More. The rest was... forgivable. Sometimes even fun.

They're just average. Nothing exciting or bold or brave or new about any of them. Some Gatiss is comfy, but it's just completely middle of the road borderline yawn.

Reminder

>The original makeup design for the Vinvocci was not completely green. After principal photography had finished, Russell T Davies reconsidered the creatures' design and decided to have the footage digitally recoloured.

BRAVO. They did such a bad job, completely different shade of green. There's actually a scene where they forgot to color it in too.

Sleep no more was actually okay. It was the Girl Who Died/The Woman who lived which was pure shit.

I didn't know you posted here Mark.

>BRAVO. They did such a bad job, completely different shade of green. There's actually a scene where they forgot to color it in too.
Is there!?

>rewatching parnters in crime
>donna literally kills the women at the beginning

wtf?

>donna wn sit on your lap and swear at you

Gatiss can do nostalgia. Gatiss cannot do exciting new ideas.

Even without comparing between episodes, where there could be other factors involved, just compare the first half of Victory of the Daleks to the second half. "Let's redo Power of the Daleks in the most Doctor Who setting ever" is pointless but comfy and entertaining; "Let's take this cool idea from the novels and give it more feels while at the same time coming up with a clever way to explain why the Daleks are a threat again so we don't have to keep destroying them for good and somehow bringing them back again" was the worst 20 minutes of the year.

>They did such a bad job, completely different shade of green
I don't think they were going for the same shade.

I feel like I'd enjoy Gatiss more if he popped up every other series. Just a knowingly comfy comfort Who. But every year, he just rolls out the same bag of 'tricks' and he's often a waste of an episode slot IMO

s9 had lower ratings because clara stuck around. there was nothing new to hook people. they kept davros a secret too instead of marketing him which was a mistake. that's why last christmas had like 8mil, people thought there was going to be a new companion. husbands and mysterio had pretty good ratings, now there's two new companions the ratings should hopefully be pretty good for s10.

Yeah, this confuses me. I mean, human skin isn't all one shade, so why should an alien's skin be all one shade?

>Gatiss cannot do exciting new ideas.
The problem with Sleep No More is more that he thought found footage horror was still an exciting new idea in 2017 than that he didn't pull it off.

Republic is better anyway. Fuck the monarchy.

>I feel like I'd enjoy Gatiss more if he popped up every other series

I'd enjoy him more if he popped the fuck off

It looks bad though.

Exactly.

To his credit, at least Doctor Who had never tried it before.

Sadly, he really didn't do anything new or innovative with the genre - plus the monsters/story was shit, so it ended up being a complete let down.

The Sleepy golems
The awful portrayal of the Abzorballoff
Every Dalek clone apart from the war machines
The ginger cannibal aliens from the Two Doctors
Auton Mickey
Armourless Ice Warrior
Anti man
The furry monster from the androids of Tara

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the thing from Fear Her yet.

He's only stayed around as a reliable old hand and cos he's up Moff's arse, I think. Chibnall might draft Gatiss in if he needs a last minute script but otherwise I think he may pop the fuck off.

Why Mysterio didnt flop?
1) every trailer was very mediocre
2) concept is REALLY outdated (superhero parodies were made by literally everyone by now)
3) no huge guest stars, only literally who from tier2 show

Why didnt it just flop?

Skaldaks face should have been done via prosthetic, the CGI for his face was so shit and it ruined the Ice Warriors for me.

No, monarchy is supreme. Just look at North Korea and other republics. America for example - any old warmongering philistine can become president. This is not a coincidence

>The furry monster from the androids of Tara
kek. this is the worst monster of all time in dw desu.

But the Master generally works alone, does not form relationships with others, and doesn't venture into a moral grey area, he's pure evil.

No show for a year, people were curious?

Which is a reason against his own show. Oh look, week 6 and the Master has another evil scheme that'll be foiled again.

>the Master generally works alone, does not form relationships with others

>ywn marry Missy

brb killing myself

Really? I just assumed they did that to save money.

>The problem with Sleep No More is more that he thought found footage horror was still an exciting new idea in 2017 than that he didn't pull it off.
No, I think someone else could have pulled it off.

Look at the novels. Henrietta Street, Who Killed Kennedy, and the other half-dozen examples of an "experimental" structure were hardly something new to the world of literature, just new to Doctor Who. But that was enough for the authors to make them interesting. Meanwhile, Gatiss was writing Targets of imaginary episodes of Doctor Who (or occasionally of Quatermass), and that was fine, but if he'd tried Henrietta Street it would have been a mess.

And now I see that another user has already made the exact same point more concisely:

idunno. why do you want doctor who to flop?

Looks like a bear-wookie-Skrillex-vampire.

Who the fuck cares about the British public? They still yap about Philip Schofeild

youtube.com/watch?v=OEq7aUYF9jI

Is it just me or can you hear a Dalek saying "move" very faintly in this scene around 0:48, before they actually appear?

Can anyone trace the first mention of the Doctor's basement rumor? Since it's seemingly turning out to be true thanks to that wooden door in the trailer, maybe the first leak that got it right has other spoilers in it

I dont

We should. Cos if the show only appeals to fans, it'll slowly become super niche and eventually they'll decide to drop it again. See also; 1980s

It was a spoilerhound on Gallifrey Base around a month ago - dismissed as bullshit on here, but it looks like it may be true as it was shown in the trailer

The rumor was "12 is keeping something hidden in the university basement".