ITT: unbelievably autistic director decisions

>Stanley Kubrick didn't like to travel and was shooting his later films only near home in London. but he needed to film Tom Cruise walking for Eyes Wide Shut on a New York street so he actually used rear projection to make it work

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3DExkPNbo7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All of Full Metal Jacket was shot in England.

I didn't know this.

>Hitler was right about pretty much everything

What did Stanley Kubrick mean by this?

>He wants the realism of shooting on location for a dream movie with dreamy illogical atmosphere.

I pity you, Nolan fan.

But who filmed the scene of New York

Erich Von Stroheim made all his actors wear period correct costumes (even the underwear and clothing in the closets and drawers that noone would see).

wtf I hate kubrick now!?

except the scene looks absolutely real

the autistic decision of actually making this movie

Based.

>George Lucas didn't like to space travel and was shooting his later films only near home on Earth. but he needed to film Yoda hovering for Phantom Menace on an Imperial Palace street so he actually used CGI to make it work

damn, literally couldn't tell

How could Stanley do this to us?

Filmmaking is about creating illusions. Shooting on location is for amateurs or when absolutely no alternative solution is possible. Kubrick, being a master, recreated New York with a projection and a treadmill and no one knew. What a legend.

Why is this so strange to look at

Frederic Raphael, who authored the Eyes Wide Shut script for Kubrick recalled that Kubrick once remarked that "Hitler was right about almost everything", and insisted that any trace of Jewishness be expunged from the Eyes Wide Shut script.

Kubrick's bizarre relationship to his own ethnicity deeply troubled Raphael, a fellow Jew. Raphael was further puzzled over Kubrick's cryptic praise for Hitler, unable to decide if Kubrick was jesting.

Raphael was equally puzzled by Kubrick's trashing of Schindler's List. After Raphael mentioned Schindler’s List, Kubrick replied: “Think that's about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn't it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. 'Schindler's List’ is about 600 who don’t.

Kubrick's friend Steven Spielberg, the director of the film, disbelievingly responded that he "didn't recognize the voice of Stanley" in Raphael's interviews.

Because it doesn't look real at all?

That's really weird since Kubrick was literally a Jew himself.

>why is an alien world so strange to look at

for a director notorious for his many takes and perfection, this suprises me

because it is a horribly overlit green screen shot with atrocious contrasts of textures which make everything look like a playstation 2 game

Its a painting. And not even a proper matte painting. Because this looks like it was done by Ryan Church who is a great concept artist but not good at doing realistic mattes. Altho to be fair even Dylan Cole's work is now very fake in LotR.

I think this is the only shot because he needed some iconic imagery. He actually build a single New York style street with only the buildings he wanted. There's like boxes full of new york street photos of doors so he could pick the right one. This adds to the dreamy quality. Because it looks like New York but isnt, its fragmented.
Also he just didn't want to fly. The Shinning was the last time he came to America.

>who authored the Eyes Wide Shut script

Taking a novel and putting in in script from without changing anything but the time period is being an author now?

they shoot everything in studio

Actually at first he had people go out and photograph thousands of door frames all to find the perfect one for a 30 second shot.
Turns out he never found what he was looking for and built a whole set of the street instead.

:3

Kubrick again when he fake-filmed literally every scene with George C Scott in Dr. Strangelove. It was genius but holy shit.

You make it seem like it's copy and paste, it isn't, it's meticulous process of distilling. Particularly when he was working this out with Kubrick as well.
And if it matters, he really is an author on side, as in he's written several books.

>Raphael was equally puzzled by Kubrick's trashing of Schindler's List. After Raphael mentioned Schindler’s List, Kubrick replied: “Think that's about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn't it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. 'Schindler's List’ is about 600 who don’t.
That's not trashing, he's just saying that the film focuses more on the survivors and less on the actual holocaust. Also, he was asspained because he wanted to make a holocaust movie and Spielberg beat him to it.

Doesn't get better than this, honestly. Maybe Kubrick himself still topping it with doing over 70 takes of the 2-second shot when old black man gets an axe to the chest in The Shining.

I really love that scene though, it's dreamy

Wait what? What do you mean?

Not in this particular case. It's EXACTLY like the story beat for beat, scene for scene. Not one thing changed. Even the dialogue is almost exactlly the same.

Scott wanted to make Buck a well-intentioned extremist. He didn't want it to be a comedy. Kubrick told him to ham it way up for practice takes while secretly he was filming all along. Scott was very unhappy when he found out (which was after the film already released).
Amusingly, since Buck is in almost every single scene in the war room, that means that basically that entire part of the movie except possibly the phone conversation and very few other shots was all practice takes.

just goes to show that someone skilled in their craft can make anything work.

Yup. Dreams seem very real when you're in the middle of them.

Frederic Raphael is a lying little shit lnone of what he said could ever be confirmed dude attacked a dead man with no voice who was already blasted by the shithead media as a psychopath for wanting to make good ass films. fuck that dickhead.

>what are second unit directors

that's not autism. autism would be flying to new york and blocking off a whole street for these shots

this is regular cheap movie effects

he also had a few streets in Greenwich overhauled to look like NYC

Don't tell me what is and isn't autism, okay?
Thanks

You can tell the lighting is really off now.

>autism would be flying to new york and blocking off a whole street for these shots

But user, someone had to film those street shots to be projected behind him.
It is the same, just without Tom Cruise on the set

looks like shit

autism is the most expensive shot of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo being the opening scene where Blompkvist walks into a coffee shop in the rain because they had to build rain machines to cover the entire block in a downpour for the 20-30 takes Fincher needed to get it right.
that's not autism at all. Autism is Kubrick and Cruise going to new york for one day for one shot. You people are acting like even the slightest attention to detail is autism

autism is making the set of 2001 actually suitable for space travel

This guy gets it.

>Also, he was asspained because he wanted to make a holocaust movie and Spielberg beat him to it.

Yes let's not forget that all his apparently good traits, Kubrick could be a very vindictive person. Just ask Chris Foss.

Almost every David Fincher interior scene is filmed in a stage with green screen just so he can have consistent lighting setups and do as many takes as needed

>autism is making the set of 2001 actually suitable for space travel

That's not autistic. That's AWESOME!

>Kubrick: me and HAL will live hapilly ever after in space!
>Douglas Rain: I don't want to go to space for real!
>Kubrick: Who the fuck are you?

>"There are two ways to film most scenes, and the other way is wrong"

Fincher commentaries are some of the most interesting ways to learn how to watch/write/makes films in a professional manner
>autism isn't awesome
>your sense of "humor"
you have to go back

Wait, where is the shadow for the column behind obi and mace?

>73413
SPOOPY
something to do with my job.

He had no choice. A small group of elites sent him a death threat not to continue the film due to its nature and topic.

So this was taken solely for the intent of making it look dreamy?

Yeah, almost like it didn't happen.

>Raphael was equally puzzled by Kubrick's trashing of Schindler's List. After Raphael mentioned Schindler’s List, Kubrick replied: “Think that's about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn't it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. 'Schindler's List’ is about 600 who don’t.

This is a butchered version of a Terry Gilliam quote about why schindler's list is a bad holocaust movie, not a bad movie in general.

Well, it's smart, but it also makes you go like "eww, what the fuck" if you actually get a look behind the scenes because literally nothing is "real"

If I remember correctly, the soviet movie Waterloo had so many real soldiers in their cast that it was the 5th biggest army in the world at the time.

My bad, it was the 7th biggest army.

>The film includes some 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen as extras—it was said that, during its making, director Sergei Bondarchuk was in command of the seventh largest army in the world.

You have to go back

>Reddit

No, Terry Gilliam is quoting Kubrick as well.

that's why all of his films feel so cold, artificial and emotionless

Why did he live in England though?

the right shot looks like something out of a David Lynch film

and when they suck at their job they make star wars prequels

>original TFA concept involved Han on Felucia where we would be re-introduced to the Falcon and introduced to the Rathtars in the wild
>JJ scraps it and gives us a shitty cargo ship scene instead because of muh nostalgia

Christ, I hate JJ Abrams

>let's make everything a little uglier and generic please
>then throw in some more retarded quips, and I'll cut it real fast so nobody notices how shitty and awful everything is

this looks cool, but I gotta say I loved the introduction to the Millenium Falcon in TFA as it is.
Nostalgia bait yes, but well executed.

The rathars scene was dogshit tho

>I loved the introduction to the Millenium Falcon in TFA as it is.
I guess it was okay if you're not wondering why people never recognised it, but the cargo scene was still bad.

That is BAD ASS! xD

HOLY PLEDDIT

Take your meds sweetie.

Shiiiit I really like that sci-fi gunslinger look they had planned for Han
JJ you fucking dunce

Remember seeing a lot of those little olive branch things on posters. The fuck

>>Kubrick fled the USA & never looked back

gee wonder why?

Malik Hassan Sayeed

this post....hella fkn epic..

I think that is his intention with most films, to have the camera and audience be some objective omnipotent observer slightly removed from the action and characters. The film isn't trying to manipulate you to feel a certain way or necessarily have a distinct message but is more so, look at this interesting thing that is happening and what do you think about this.

A better story is the P.A. who had to photograph every door for five miles along a road in London so Kubrick could find the "perfect doorway" for Tom Cruise to stand in front of for one shot. A fookin master of technique he was.

I wish I could give you gold, kind sir. Well played...

In the Harry Potter movies there's not a single empty book in the library. There was writing/printing on all of them.
FOR WHAT PURPOSE

>photograph every door for five miles along a road in London
Try doing that today without getting arrested

Hey stop making fun of our game show hosts. We have the best game show hosts. Believe me.

so that they could use that as trivia for fanboys of the dullest franchise ever to jerk off to as proof of the perceived dedication and attention detail that went into making the movies giving the illusion of artistic integrity.

Fincher decided Rooney Mara's hair didn't look right in some shot for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo so they CGI'd tiny bits of her forehead bangs out and apparently it cost a big penny.

>consistent lighting
So blue or yellow tint? Fincher is such a fucking hack.

More like, natural lighting changes from hour to hour and day to day, and Fincher is autistic enough to notice the difference between a take shot at 10:35 am and one taken at 10:56 in terms of sunlight.

>there are people like this week watched 2001

So his autistic lighting methods don't actually improve the quality of the movie and still make it hard to look at.

No autism would be building huge sets in London that look like New York, then not using them to film that particular scene

youtube.com/watch?v=3DExkPNbo7I

>still make it hard to look at
Maybe for a sperg, the enlightened(get it?) can appreciate his godly aesthetic

Wasn't he banned from filming in America or something after Doctor Strangelove?

No.
>Creative differences arising from his work with Douglas and the film studios, a dislike of Hollywood, and a growing concern about crime in America prompted Kubrick to move to the United Kingdom in 1961

>le first idea is always better argument

This is youtube comment tier faggotry

Reminder that there are people who claim that cinema is art, even after shits like this.

Not that autistic. Not clever either just convenient. If a cloud moves infront of the sun it suddenly changes the entire picture and light setup. A lamp that was before showing a subtle rimlight is now suddenly blasting the actor. If the house is at some terrible angle and has trees on the side then the light changes ever hour or so. If you have big scenes and you wanna keep filming then this is the way to do it. Most filmmakers would do this if it was an option. Except that most of the time its to expensive.

But it was better.

What you are talking about is color grading which is applied in post production, don't be so ignorant