Why does every team shit the bed against the Pats in the same fashion?

Every time its the same thing

>team has a decent lead on the pats
>outplays them for the majority of the game
>when they have the lead they suddenly go into "play not to lose" mode and "prevent" mode
>suddenly pats grab the momentum and no huddle march down the field time after time
>when the eventual losing team's offense gets back on the field, they cant covert for shit, go 3 and out over and over
>pats keep no huddle and and marching down the field
>momentum is totally swung, other team is hopeless

Every time, every game. Why do teams always go into conservative, preventive mode and proceed to lose all momentum? Can the Eagles do it differently?

Congrats, you're a step closer to realizing the truth about World Football Entertainment (WFE) and why it belongs on /asp/

> tinfoil hats have invaded sp
> the only tenuous grip they have on the narrative is literally >>>x level conspiracy
ok bigfoot.

>h-heh conspiracy theories are n-never real, g-goy
More and more people are onto you and your tricks, Schlomo.

didn't say shit about real or not, projecting how you actually feel maybe? that's my opinion.
> it's a conspiracy, it has to be. i cannot hear any facts.

>an out-of-bounds receiver can be the victim of pass interference
They don't even try to hide it.

did you read the rules on that? I'm happy to look them up so you can show me how your interpretation is the rule. I'm not claiming it is or isn't, i just am curious if you did, and then i will go get them and we can discuss.

I honestly feel its just the brady/belichick mystique. other teams just dont know how to handle it. thats why they always make crazy mistakes when playing them in critical moments.

>backpedaling this hard
The Patriot is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a cheater and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

what i dont understand is how the Pats D can actually keep their comebacks alive. suddenly they can stop anything

because the other 31 coaches in the NFL are incompetent

the funny thing is they could play a conservative PASSING offense and easily run out the clock on the patriots. Just throw 3-4 yard passes to running backs or tight ends off a bootleg instead of calling run plays. but teams think running is more conservative than passing for some reason.

how is what i said back pedalling. I think you are projecting again.

Bill made his name as a DC before HC. Yes Tom Brady is the GOAT but Bill's defense is the perfect complement to him and is underrated as fuck every single year

>you're a conspiracy nut and you should leave
>h-heh never said conspiracies are wrong
Congrats, you are right on a technicality. How Judaist of you.

no the patriots defense is shit. the problem is coaches don't throw enough. if you are playing the Patriots you have to throw at least 80% of the time, imo. QB runs and targetting the linebackers are always effective against the Patriots, their linebackers are slow and Belichick over-commits to the QB run if it's a threat.

Bill Belichick is a defensive wizard, he was the defensive coordinator for the Big Blue Wrecking Crew Giants (and the LB coach for Lawrence Taylor's first 4 seasons on the team) and he was the one who devised the way to stop the heavily favored Rams and their Greatest Show on Turf in XXXVI

no no no, you've misunderstood.
This is a sports board. Not a board for conspiracy theories. It's for the discussion of sports. Lately, however, all people talk about is conspiracy theories. They don't talk about sports. Like you are doing. I dont give a shit if they are true, they are x tier conspiracy theories and asp tier mandrama. You know what else is gay? talking about wives and off field shit. I bitch at that too. I'm willing to bet you cant even talk about sports, which is why you focus on this, the drama. It's womanly.

i agree they let you a shit ton of yards, but they are right on track with top quartile defenses when it comes to letting up points.

The point of running it is to drain the clock. Dropped passes obviously stop the clock. The problem comes when you're not mixing it up and you make your plan to run it up the middle play after play

Do you think Eagles have this in mind? I hope the coaches are telling the players not to fall into this trap. Seems like teams keep doing it.

i believe a lot of it is because to beat the patriots, you have to do a lot of things very well for 60 minutes. things that tire you the f out. mainly playing man to man coverage and getting consistent pressure.

zone defense is way less tiring on DBs. play man to man all game and by the 4th youre going to be gassed, lose a step, and make mistakes. combine that with d-lines getting less and less pressure due to also being gassed (unless they have a lot of good d-line depth, which most teams with one or two great pass rushers don't have), and you have a recipe for disaster.

that's why a lot of teams switch over to a softer zone scheme later in the game. which of course brady picks apart, but there's a reason why a lot of teams consistently do this even though it seems like it's a surefire way to lose the game. because the alternative is worse. very very few teams are set up to be able to play the patriots man to man all game long.

that's why bill stresses the whole play for 60 minutes thing. it's why the patriots are such a great 4th quarter team. they gameplan for you to not be able to last as long as them. in some way the patriots almost save their energy for when you have none left, and then that's when they turn it on and start the no-huddle.

>the patriots defense is shit.
ok, that's why they're #5 statistically this year, why they shut out the falcons in the fourth quarter last year, why they were disciplined as fuck against the hawks (that's the real reason butler made the int), and why tim brody used to be considered a game manager who relied on his defense

the eagles absolutely have this in mind, it's going to be doug going for it every single chance he gets. think of those big pre-halftime FG attempts in both playoff games. the game is ultimately going to be brady vs jim schwartz defense though.

The Jags for instance started running out the clock at the start of the second half though. No reason to start doing that until at least halfway into the fourth quarter.

Also, against the Patriots you might not be able to get a first down on 3 runs or 2 runs + pass. But you can march down the field on them relatively easily.

They're much worse than that if you measure defensive efficiency, with say DVOA. The Patriots basically play defense with offense by way of good defense and special teams - teams have to string together more first downs to score.

you know why they call it the prevent defense because it prevents you from winning

No this is exactly how the game will go
>eagles score first, look unstoppable
>already acting like childish niggers halfway through the first quarter and only up 7-0
>patriots score 3 times before half
>score again after half
>eagles will make adjustments and score again
>patriots answer the adjustments and continue to dominate the game
>patriots win their first blowout super bowl
>filthydelphia eternally BTFO

Exactly this

Brady in no-huddle is fucking dangerous

meant to say
>play defense by way of good offense and special teams

i would add shit like clock management. So many teams waste a time out and don't have it at the end. Pats usually have the upper hand when it comes to actually having all the time they need for a final drive, and not leaving time for opponents. This is so fucking important in a 7pt or less game. I mean, that's so fucking obvious, im not a genius for thinking that, why can't opponents sort that out?

Eagles are too talented to be blown out, it'll be another 3-4 point win with both teams scoring 20+

> teams have to string together more first downs to score.

fuck yes. I analyzed this, patriots have the #1 "yards to score." meaning opponents have to work harder to get a point. This means even if they get yards, and even if they have possession, they are scoring less per drive (3 vs 7) or turning it over. this stat is never fucking said and is basically critical.

If you aren't scoring more points per yard or per play, you are not winning the game. This lets games get unbalanced possession wise and pats still win. If a team goes 400 on them, and pats go an average amount (325ish lets say) pats should still win because the 400 yards nets the opponent less points. on average of course.

Is there no antidote for it?

No, the patriots are too good to get memed on by foles like Minnesota did. Think of every other game he started in, they didn’t even reach 20. They’ll be lucky to score 17 on the pats, while Brady will score at least 24 on them

Only one team can stop them and they get meme'd on prior to the superbowl consistently.

Patriots super bowl margins under Brady:
Win by 3
Win by 3
Win by 3
Lose by 3
Lose by 4
Win by 4
Win by 6 (OT)
Patriots Owls are never blowouts regardless of the outcome.

The bizarro version of this is the Chargers. There have been a few years where they were high in offensive and defensive efficiency but their special teams were so bad that teams had low "yards to score". Of course, they missed the playoffs most of the time...

Also, more possessions favor the better team, yes. This is why you'd always see teams that beat the Patriots try to slow the game down and hope for the best like the Giants and Ravens. Jags tried to do this too I think but they didn't pass enough and their QB is too much of a meme.

Nigga that doesn't mean shit. Overtime had never happened in the SB, Pats said otherwise.

jaguars defense got tired, philly's won't. philly on the corner is very underrated, you have ronald darby and jalen fucking mills almost shutting out jones, thielen, diggs.

a blowout won't surprise me but this defense is hard and surprisingly disciplined

to add to this the patriots kryptonite would be basically russell wilson or cam newton with a competent O line and coaching staff

A pass rush, corners who can stay in man coverage, and an offense that doesn't score all at once but churns the clock.

>t. Giants in 2007/2011, Broncos in 2015, and the Ravens/Jets at various times

I don't think it was that they didn't pass enough, they just went full retard in the last quarter. It became "run up the middle on 1st down, run up the middle on 2nd down, throw on 3rd, punt." What was killing the Pats early on was more runs to the outside, which Fournette should have to speed to do, or even throw in Yeldon/the other back. But instead they refused to do what worked in the first half. No play action, the crossing routes got shut down in the 4th, and they just tried to wear out the Pats DLine, and it failed.

nah, sorry m8. eagles r fucked.

is it possible to cover gronk?

maybe but the Patriots are awful at defending the pass. especially their linebackers.

yeah i agree philly corners are way better compared to jags. jags corners are total shit. who are they again, anyway?

whoever they are they're certainly no all-pros i can tell you that.

Triple coverage, even then it's 50-50

Not sure i got your point, but i said the losing possession is fine when your defense makes scoring difficult. Pats points/yd advantage on defense mean they can LOSE the possession battle and still expect to come out on top. Expect being the key word of course.

yes, but their redzone is so good it converts to less points than the average team with equivalent yards let up.

i didn't say shit about jags corner. just that I wouldn't be surprised if philly held on at the corner. jaguars d-line got tired. philly has 7 1st or 2nd round picks in constant rotation; they can stay fresh for 60 minutes against tom

That's the 'bend not break' strategy, they've done it for a while

you need a Big Guy like him. The jags db was supposed to be a good match, and gronk had almost no targets, then was out of the game. So unfortunately we'll never know. I was REALLY looking forward to that match up.

Some user said it before the game: you need to take shots from 25+ yards out while the field is still spread. obviously riskier, but if you get the field goal anyways, you might have a higher shot at a TD. Would love to see teams try it more than twice a game.

It happens because Brady's opposing defense gets intimated by Brady's mere presence when he is in GOAT mode.They lose all their collective confidence and have no answer to what Brady is doing. He literally seems in bullet time in situations where his offense is down late in the game.

its impossible to stop the patriots no huddle and gronk at the same time. literally impossible

here is your gameplan to beat the Patriots from an actual patriots fan

Offense:
>target running backs and tight ends against linebackers heavily, the LBs are slow
>DBs are also bad, will give up big plays or get a pass interference, don't be afraid to go deep
>Run defense is their strength, don't bother running anyway when the pass defense is so weak unless they play 6 or 7 DBs.
>the patriots over-commit to the QB run and will forego pass rushing to stop it and change to a zone scheme since it's more advantageous vs. the QB run, so bootlegs are your friend.

Defense:
>Control of the middle of the field is key, the Patriots do most of their work between the numbers. you need to force Brady to throw outside the numbers.
>Bracket coverage on Gronkowski at all times
>Don't blitz
>You need at least some degree of competence from every level of the defense, pressure used to ruin the Patriots' offense but I think Brady had the highest grade of all QBs against pressure per PFF... team speed is more important so that your LBs don't get burned by the manlet army

@steelers

I don't know why more teams don't use the ol Joe Flacco strategy. Just throw it deep and get PI every fucking time.

Fuck the Ravens.

yeah just do this and youll be able to hold him to only like 80 yards and a td.

brady used the old elite joe strategy a few times against the jags, lel

Also be ready for 3 meme plays per game in the play-offs.

Yeah yeah

You're playing checkers OP. Did you ever notice how they throw the same 40 year old bomb five times per game that almost never works? They do it so that when they are in the fast paced offense later in the game the safeties are forced to play deep and the underneath throws are open all day. There are a lot of subtle things like that going on throughout the game that most casual fans, even other coaches, don't always notice.

They are the best team at adjusting in the league and there are things they do early in the game to set up what they will do on critical possession late in the game when it matters most. This is why you see the same pattern over and over again. They'll play soft on a certain type of passing pattern all throughout the first half so that the opposing team thinks it's an easy money play, and then suddenly in the key time of the game they'll have some exotic look, maybe jam one receiver and double the other and the qb never saw it coming. This helps set up a lot of their late game turnovers, which are usually strip sacks on a confused QB.

Of course, they prefer to win a game in a comfortable blowout, but even most of their blowouts have the same pattern of the other team marching downfield and scoring easily on the first possession, then getting the ball back marching down again but only settling for a FG this time, and then never score again the rest of the game. It's because Pats get you to expose your hand with soft vanilla defense in the early game when the situation isn't critical yet.

The DBs are fine now that Gilmore has finally figured it out. Problem is the pass rush but Harrison seems to be helping out Flowers enough to where it's not that awful now.

really interesting post

Conditioning.
It takes constantly running at 110% to stop Brady on offense and get through their elite defense, and a lot of teams can manage to do that for an hour or so, but by the time it hits fourth quarter, everyone's too gassed to keep that constant pressure up, and they get shut down by the defense and Brady cuts them to shreds

IIRC, Romo mentioned something like this in one of the games. He said they will intentionally make decisions to fuck with opposing analytics on how often they run certain plays, etc.

how do the pats play without getting gassed?

blood doping

its more common for the pats to beat teams by 21 points

but yes teams play scared with a lead against them and often lose as a result

they don't run 15 yards to celebrate a sack

no pass rush in the first half

good post, but other coaches are very aware that belichick does this. the problem is how do you counter it.

The Patruots, and Brady himself, have been the best team in the league for the past 15 years of watching what the other team is doing and adjusting as the game goes on. By the fourth quarter Brady has seen everything in the other team's playbook and is able to shred them. The defense makes similar adjustments and the scoring opportunities for the other team dry up.
The defense is criminally underrated. Because they give up yards people don't think as highly of them. But they will allow teams small gains to avoid giving up big plays. Bill is also smart enough to concentrate on crippling the best weapons on the opposing team. Fournett last week is a great example of this. They knew he was Jacksonville's most dynamic weapon so they concentrated on stopping him. As a result he averaged only 3.2 YPC and his longest rush was only 14 yards.

They sandbag. They study their opponents well enough to figure out what schemes, plays, and personnel packages they are most likely to run. Once they get a good look at what the other team has planned for the looks they give them, the Pats counter. They don't just do this across games either. If you watch them on both sides of the ball, you'll notice during drives they get a feel for what the other team intends to do before opening it up. It's why they have a great scoring defense, but a bad total defense

If a receiver is pushed out of bounds by a cornerback, then comes back in while the ball is still catchable, it's pass interference.

The Pats will lets them hang with them through the first half, so they stay predictable

Of course if some autist who loves football in Malaysia can see it, then other coaches see it too on levels that none of us are seeing it. The problem is Belichick is simply smarter than them and doing it in ways so sophisticated nobody but the Patriots knows what's going on. Like in chess, if Bobby Fischer offers another pro chess player a free piece, they know there's a reason for it they know something is wrong, but there's nothing they can do about it if they simply don't have the creative brainpower to see the situation as deeply as he does.

Yep, not only in a single game but even throughout the seasons. They'll do something in week 2 of the season in hopes that it will set something up in the playoffs. All year against bad teams they might always drop one safety back against spread with three WRs to the right, all year long, until the fourth quarter of the super bowl when suddenly that safety comes up for the double team, the LB drops back instead, another LB blitzes, etc. There are endless possibilities.

This is another element, they'll purposely do things with the sole intent of tiring out the opponent and conserving their energy. If you notice, most of the first half, their DEs play lots of contain just keeping the QB from breaking out of the box. In the fourth their DEs start bullrushing the QB and they start breaking through against a tired O Line. Their pass rush is usually awful for most of the game and then suddenly starts to pick up at the end. It doesn't hurt that their conditioning is probably the best in the league.

The Jags had literally zero creativity whatsoever in their plays with the lead. I lost the pic now but I'm pretty sure their entire 4th quarter offense before the Patriots took the lead were
>Run on shotgun with Fournette on first down
>Innacurate deep pass on 2nd down
>Desperate innacurate deep pass on 3rd and long
>Punt
>Repeat

One of the things the patriots do the best at is eliminate the best part of your team. Fortunately for the Eagles, their main strength on offense is spreading the ball around and doing different things. This game could go either way but the Eagles match up well enough on both offense and defense to the blueprint for beating the patriots.

New England's no huddle in general is fucking bizarre. I can't imagine any amount of training being enough for that, it can only be Belichick brainwashing his entire offense. They take like 6 seconds tops to line perfectly and snap the ball time after time after time every single time they go no-huddle.

they throw 40 yard bombs five times a game because in the nfl you get spot foul for DPI. literally every team in the league does that.

because bellicheck always spends the first 3 quarters figuring shit out and setting himself up for the home stretch and will only bring out his best plays when absolutely necessary.

you guys act like just because someone has a lead in the 2nd or 3rd quarter it actually means anything, ignoring factors like field position, fatigue, clock management and surprise plays that can only be used once. Bill Bellicheck is a chess master carefully coordinating everything for a checkmate.

actually brady has a losing record against us playing at home

I love this thread. Too much of a casual to contribute but please continue.

I think the most important question to ask here, is what is the magic secret recipe that Eli fucking derped on to beat Brady not once, but twice at the fucking Owl?

it's flawless because Brady's greatest quality is releasing the ball retardedly fast. he might not be rodgers but he's always gonna get positive yardage on each down, he hardly needs game changing plays because of his slant catching manlet army

And if the safety doesn't come over to help on the deep ball, it'll be a touchdown instead of DPI

It's a win win situation. Pats don't have a high % of getting PIs on those plays, it's a very low % play for them, they usually just miss and waste a down or a possession. They're not stupid, they know it's a low percentage play, it's much more valuable as a way to keep the safeties playing deep which leads to many more points later. Their entire offense is those underneath routes to the RBs and slot WRs.

two minute offense + 4 down situations = tom brady unstoppable

Bill is the master at halftime adjustments and stresses his teams to be ready for every possible situation.