What are some essential Sup Forums films?

What are some essential Sup Forums films?

Pic related.

Andrei Rublev

Batman v Superman dawn of kino, a deep cerebral masterpiece that only smart people understand, a great pleb filter.

This should keep you busy for the weekend
>Come and See
>Stalker
>Solaris
>Hard to be a God
>Holy Mountain
>Drive

>No BD release for Come and See

It's not fair.

>Mousehunt
>not Mousetrap
Is this some Mandela effect shit?? Wth

Mouse Hunt is the MOST kino mouse movie.

trips confirm

It's Mandola, not Mandela... what timeline are you in?

I know you're baiting, and I'm not a faggot shill that would call BvS one of the greatest movies of all time, but it is legitimately a great superhero film and is an essential watch for any fan of capeshit.

Solaris-Russian or American?

Yeah, it's a damn shame. Do you know what it was shot on? I wonder if it's a medium thing or a rights holder issue

Definitely Russian. Also thought of a couple more:
>Spoorloos/The Vanishing (original Dutch-French)
>O Brother Where Art Thou
>Rec (Spanish Version)
>My Dog Skip
>Memories of a Murder

Mousetrap was a popular board game type-thing at the time too. You're getting them mixed up

can someone help me understand this movie, ive watched it three times now and nothing makes sense so ive grown to dislike it when i know i shouldnt. i feel like its too self indulgent with ridiculous analogies and symbolism

I see you post this a lot. You really love this movie, huh?

It's a good movie. Lee Evans is 10/10 as always.

It's an underappreciated classic and Verbinski's best work. I also put a lot of effort into finding frames that properly tell the brother's story and showcase the human elements of the film.

I wish both of the leads were in more things or would do some sort of 20th anniversary reunion.

It's really about Nietzschean philosophy.

The song that plays in the beginning is called Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which is named after a book by Nietzsche. I'm not an expert on his philosophy, but I think the basic point is that to live in a post-religious society without becoming nihilistic we must become the super man that leaves behind religion and morality and uses his will to achieve what he wants and to impose his values on the world.

This philosophy influences what happens in the movie. When the main character and HAL end up in conflict, it's pretty much the battle between nihilism and the super man. HAL is nihilistic and thinks humans should be killed off because it is inevitable that they will make errors.

The end of the movie is the main character reaching the next evolution of man and becoming the starchild, which is supposed to be like Nietzsche's concept of the super man.

Mandola, Neilson Mandola

The Tree of Life is obviously essential

>Gummo

rolling

Roll

Reroll

>Hard to be a God
looks really neat, thanks

Roll

>a great pleb filter
It is but not in the way that you think it is.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I didn't realise you went to the effort of changing the frames. Good on ya, mate.

rolling

25 get

Soul Coughing - Rolling

True Kino

roll

Nice

Not really sure what constitutes "essential Sup Forums" because in reality that would just be memes, but it seems like a thread with quality recs so I'll add

Dogtooth
F for Fake
Lost Highway
The Trial
World on a Wire
Woman in the Dunes
Nostos: Il Riturno
Inherent Vice
Landscape Suicide

femanon version

how did you found out about nostos?

>the portrait watching them fucking
This movie is a very odd children's movie.

Stumbled across it in some list on Letterboxd. I like Piavoli a lot now

Was the CGI cat a mistake?

rowing

>

roll

Screw it let's see

reroll

ESSENTIAL Sup Forums FILMS

The Hunt
No Country for Old Men
The Vanishing (Spoorloos)
Drive
12 Angry Men
Wake in Fright
Memories of Murder
Threads
Heat
Lawrence of Arabia
The Thing
Das Boot

essential /sleep-core/.

roll

>mfw this movie made me cry when I was 6yo

Roll

last time I tried this, I got the battle of algiers
hope to get another hit

rerolling for something I haven't seen

roll

Roll

I never understood the praise for The Hunt. I mean it's well acted, but it didn't anger me like "why would they do that???" but instead just frustrated at what I perceived as unrealistic actions. Also, while it has some nice shots, that doesn't matter when there's no flow. Sometimes there's just be nice shots of nature thrown in and the editing, camera movement, whatever just felt off, like it wasn't sure what it wanted to look like. I feel like that doesn't make sense at all, I call it "visual coherency" for lack of a better, less pretentious word. Some films just flow and every frame adds to the experience, while often times in The Hunt I was drawn out by shots that just jutted out of the texture. Probably not even an important aspect of film to some, but to me smoothness matters, and a lack of it in instances such as The Hunt, because it's "nice shots" it almost feels like they're used for the sake of having nice shots, not because they add anything to the movie, and to me that's either a little ignorant pretentious

Rolling for this list because it appears to be better

rollin

rolling

>DUDE KUCKBRICK LMAO

why you faggots are so obsessed with him?
His movies are so overrated / reddit.

Rerolling for something I haven't seen

roll

fuck that I'm not watching red I haven't seen blue or white yet, rerolling

watching my left foot then, meh at least its ddl

rolling

explain why

Martha? Martha is that you?

rolling

Go

>great movies
>animes

pick one

Watching Paris, Texas now, wondering what to see next

alright

Goddammit, I am not watching a kid's anime

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

How has pic related not been brought up yet? I'm disappointed

Problem Child 2

any tips or reading material on choosing the perfect frame to showcase a movie?

just thinking that I might like to do this myself with a few of my favorite flicks

rollin'

I watched it and screenshotted a lot of frames then put together the ones that worked best.

roll

Rolling

rollerino

This

Tokyo Story

roller

Of course the pleb would say Russian. The other version is fine.

Lawrence of Arabia is so overrated.

roll f

I used to watch this all the time as a kid. I probably still have it on VHS.

Excalibur
The Beguiled
The Deep
The Old Dark House
Bullitt

HAS ANYBODY SEEN "A Cure for Wellness"???? I'm dying to see it, since he's been so pre-occupied with Pirate schlock.

you should check it out again. it's really made for adults

Yes. It had great potential and looks beautiful, but the story became absolutely ridiculous. It made me sad that the director wasted his talents on that script.

>but the story became absolutely ridiculous.

I'm open for anything, wish it was online, cause it's not in muh theatres.