The BFG

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

The Money Pit

Jaws

Genuinely? Raiders of the Lost Ark

Does he even still make movies?

A.I.

I don't know about best ever ALL TIME, but I unironically believe that E.T. is the single best film, of any kind, anywhere, to have been released during the 1980s.

Fite me

Goldmember

I wouldn't agree but E.T. is an incredible movie. Definitely one of, if not the, best kids movie ever made.

Is there a reason why Spielberg is never considered hte best director? Is it because he's not exactly an auteur like Kubrick, or because he's directed some bad movies as well? He's easily directed 6 of the best movies ever

People don't like populist directors, snobs like to look down on them.

That being said, some of his most popular movies are some of my least faves of his.

Last two movies he directed were BFG and Bridge of Spies. Haven't seen BFG but I thought Bridge of Spies was pretty good, though not great.

i dunno if i'd go with "best" but it was definitely one of the most influential. i feel like ET defined the early 80's way more than any other film from around that time. that shit was fucking huge

because most of his well known works are huge studio productions, which the actual director has very little influence over. Producers have way more say than them.

I respect your opinion but I think Raiders and Amadeus are better films of the 80s

jaws is the perfect movie

I'll push it a step further. So far as I am aware, the whole ending music, particularly near the coda, is the single best work by John Williams that I am aware of. Better than the rest.

I regularly become misty while listening to it, it's that good.

A boy and his dog. The dog has to leave, now, and the boy is very sad. But the boy knows that the dog gets to run free and be with his doggie friends, now.

And the dog catchers have been totally eluded.

youtube.com/watch?v=uGP2o8lBgV8

appreciate the respectful disagrees which demonstrate basic knowledge of simple kino history. E.T. was a big movie and a yuge cultural meme, which has since died down a good deal. But it was The Elephant In The Room when it came out, and deservedly so.