/who/ - Doctor Who General

/who/ can see again borrowing from it's future
Maybe all future threads will be blind
Simulation of a /who/ thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Virgin_New_Adventures
youtube.com/watch?v=qY_BkmUKiOQ
strawpoll.me/13009315
doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/How_do_I_get_into_Big_Finish?
strawpoll.me/13006813/r
radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-20/doctor-who-exclusive-steven-moffat-reveals-the-secrets-of-extremis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Heyy everyone it's Joe from Joey's World Tour

If my eyes aren't real, how can /who/ be real?

IT WAS ALL A DREAM
T

W
A
S

A
L
L

A

D
R
E
A
M

>We're all just in the simulated world from Silence in the Library, shitposting on a simulated imageboard

Watching Extremis now on BBCAmerica.

I don't understand anything that's going on.
Capaldi is already hard to understand sometimes, who thought to bring in Italian accents?

Am I glad that we're not real, and the veritas is out there and the Monks are the Sheriff, and we're out there, and what I wanna know is, where's the caveman?

POST ECCLESTONES NAO

>I don't understand anything that's going on.
What do you mean? You're not really meant to understand what's going on until you've seen the whole thing. It's a mystery

I'm new to the world of Doctor Who beyond the TV stuff. I'm also new to /who/ itself. So, can anyone tell me what the fuck VNA is? Is it actually dark or is it an ironic meme?

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Virgin_New_Adventures

If you're a powerful alien race that has technology powerful enough to simulate billions of different people, personalities, memories and things down to the atomic level, and you're running simulations, why would you not delete a mysterious book that exposes that the subjects in you simulations are simulants?

Why would you not have the ability to delete this book? Why would this book even exist as if you simulated the world back in Pope Benedicts time and ran it into current day? Why would you need to actually go into the program and grab the book as if you can't just give yourself alien powers that let you get it much easier and faster? Fuck why not freeze the simulation and grab it?

I had a dream about a special episode where it was promoted that Tennant and Smith were both back and it was 35 minutes of Ecclestone with 10 minutes of Capaldi, only featuring Tennant and Smith.
Damn sad it was a dream

youtube.com/watch?v=qY_BkmUKiOQ

>What do you mean? You're not really meant to understand what's going on until you've seen the whole thing.
Oh, my bad, I'm watching it for the first time. I hate when movies and TV shows do that shit though.

The answer, in my mind, is to root out possible threats. Whose clever enough to discern that they're in a simulation? Insert character here? Well, they might be a problem when we attempt to invade.

What I didn't get is how is the world being simulated such a depressing notion? In the end the only things that are truly "real" are they that we ourselves grant the validity of reality, a purportedly simulated world is no less real than the world we hold to be real.

My headcanon is that they are projecting the reality itself. They arent in control of it.

Much obliged.

They were a line of novels meant to be a direct continuation of the TV show during the Wilderness Years. They're also the only canon Who stories ever created.

why can the simulation send broadcasts out to the real world? isn't the whole point of a simulation is that it's isolated?

Ah, see, now this is an interesting point. Why not have episodes set in China? Or Ethiopia? Really makes you wonder.

The answer, of course, is that "diversity" is simply a means to an end.

The thing that's stumping me is why there would be any possible way of someone within the simulation contacting the outside world. That would surely be one of the most important things to account for. They couldn't just run the thing on a system with no built-in wirless communications? What gives?

Because it's much cheaper to film in Cardiff and pretend it's London.

Some kind of butterfly effect? You're removing matter, affecting cause and effect, etc. Might mess with the simulation in weird ways.

wats in the vault?

Because maybe the method they use to create this simulation leads to them not having complete control of it?

Have you seen the Matrix?

But removing those from the simulation doesn't remove their real counterparts from Earth. If anything removing them is the worst thing they could do, as they underestimate/eliminate their only credible threat and thus the simulation is pointless.

Is there some kind of /who/ master recommendations list for Big Finish or should I just fuck off to /r/ or Google or something?

They can make and do make changes in the matrix though. They made those walls appear to trap the team in the first movie for example, and fixed up the whole city in the last movie.

That's why there's deja vu, like a cat that passes by twice.

Big changes will be seen so they don't do that, but things like a book, hell yeah they can change that.

lol it's a fucking computer, removing matter isn't gonna do anything or cause and effect. Letting the book be exposed and keep being exposed ruins the whole simulation which is supposed to be about you trying to take everything over. All they ended up doing was letting the Doctor broadcast when the first thing to do when it got emailed and out of their control was to end the simulation. What's the point of having the physical book if it's already out on the internet?

>Cybermen don't just blow themselves up for no good reason, dear. They're not human.
Is this one of Moffat's best gags ever?

If they can do spaceships and the wild west, they could throw in a legitimate ethnic story every once in a while. I think the Sup Forums posters are insane, but that one guy had a point.

I've only really seen New Who, was the classic show this dramatic?
And I really enjoyed Series 5 and 6, but I wish the show was more episodic again like the RTD era.

Shouldn't River still have this? She took it with her to the library. If Nardole came straight from Derilium, how could he have it?

I've seen headcanon that their simulation is so good that the Doctor's sonic sunglasses like the real thing presumably was able to get reach outside of the sandbox.

>program simulation of 5 billion years of earth's history
>every human shares the same rand generator instance
those aliens deserved to fail

>expecting continuity from Moffat

But the Monks weren't the ones removing them, they were committing suicide. Am I understanding you correctly?

There used to be a /who/ suggestion list somewhere. Lemme see if I can find it.

It was basically just sitting on a ledge somewhere in the library after she died, having it transported would be trivial.

They all died like Nardol and Bill did, I presumed.

So how does a book written in the early whatever it was century written about the aliens and the simulation they create suddenly come to exist if they're just projecting reality?

Why would reality already have that book about the simulation?

Here it is. It's not really up to date, but it should be more than enough to get you started.

Sounds like bullshit. You know, at this point I'm fully expecting a "simulation within a simulation" twist next episode that accounts for all the weird stupidity.

He stopped by the Library on the way, or whatever. I kinda prefer they don't explain every tiny detail that most people won't give a shit about. Some shows get too bog down, and get tedious quickly.

Leave it to Moffat to write the worst episode of the season.

He was aware of the machine and took control from within it by exploiting the machine itself. A virus in a computer can control the computer to some extent. The Doctor was a virus, using his sonic "universal hacking tool" sunglasses he used their computer to send his recording to the real doctor.

Do you have a bigger image? It's impossible to read senpai

That would be fine if he didn't say, "followed you from Derilium."

Right but they don't have total control over it,only limited.

We don't even know the monks made the simulation with their tech. Maybe it just makes a blank copy of earth and then runs the sim from there and they can't affect it other than entering the sim themselves. We don't know anything.

Maybe The Doctor creates the Veritas next week with another bootstrap paradox.

Following the Doctor isn't something that can happen in a linear sense anyway, he has a fucking TARDIS.

>lol i'm a fucking lesbian
>look how progressive i am

the entire staff at BBC, every jew, nigger, and faggot should be ovened.

Doesn't explain why the machine running the sim had any exploitable connection to other real-world systems, whether it was wired or wireless.

>Right but they don't have total control over it,only limited.
I would suggest they have as much control over it as we do of a computer program. We can shut the program down at any time, but if we leave it running and it does something we don't want before we manage to shut it down, what's done is still done.

Come on.... The Doctor Falls hasn't even aired yet, give it a chance at least

So 12 took a trip to the library right after River died and 10 left and the whole place was being evacuated because the library was full of things literally ready to eat anything that stepped foot in it after everyone left because?

Maybe he stopped by the library at some unknown point, picked up the book, went back to darillium to serve as a waiter inconspicuously for a bit, then when the Doctor left, traced him to the execution planet. Then went straight from Darillium to the Doctor.

I heard 12 is leaving soon. Will Bill also be leaving?

>You are now aware that the simulation was an introduction to the timelord eye device.
>You are now aware he will certainly use it either in the next episode or by the finale.
>You are now aware the result will be the creation of the Valeyard.

It's really happening /who/, he's really coming.

Beat me too it.

You're doing the Lord's work.

The Doctor? risk his life for a nostalgic keepsake? I don't think that's out of character at all, actually. Especially 12

It's extremely likely considering Chris Sex Gas Chibnall is taking over.

Ayyyy that's much better, cheers

>Facebook fans will call this "the worst episode ever written"

On the topic, what did /who/ think of it?
strawpoll.me/13009315

Personally, I thought it was fucking amazing. Moffat really has changed his writing.

>Right but they don't have total control over it, only limited.

But they at least have very good control, the problems is changes have to be made very carefully because the people hooked in can't simply be changed or have their memories altered. They learn something they can spread it and if they know the Matrix is the Matrix, they learn to reject it. Matrix had lots of programs in charge of lots of every little thing, the only real big problem they had was when Smith turned all those programs and the people into himself but still they could beat Smith, just needed someone through whom they could link directly to him and already had code to resist him.

>with another bootstrap paradox.

Yet another reason I hate Moffat, timey wimey bullshit

will the sex gas be the new big bad of his first season? can we expect Bill to come back as a sexy cyberwoman in Chibnall's era? I'm excited

So if the sonic glasses were so real that they could send a message to the real sonic glasses wouldn't that mean the Tardis would be also real enough to take the simulation Doctor to the real world?

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/How_do_I_get_into_Big_Finish?

>strawpoll.me/13009315
There's another strawpoll already
strawpoll.me/13006813/r

No. Sending an email and 3D printing a TARDIS are rather different tasks.

Holy shit, a new writer too? Is /WHO/ saved?

>new
No, spastic.

Maybe yeah, they can't recompile it live.

Oh wow, I didn't even check.

So how long have we been watching Simulated Doctor Who, rather than real Doctor who?

We have no idea how much control the monks have or if they even made the simulation themselves, just that they were using it to study earth to invade it.

So does the sim mean that they know how the tardis works?

> applying logic to doctor who
Okay, in all seriousness, sending information from the sunglasses is one thing, but actual physical matter is another. The data inside the glasses is real physical data. All the ones and zeroes in the code of the sunglasses are also ones and zeroes in the code of the simulation...

Maybe that still doesn't make sense, but since the Virtual Reality was (presumably) turned off, I don't think you're gonna get a better answer

about 45 minutes

From what the episode itself says they did make the simulations and have done many of them and killed the Doctor in a lot of them, until we learn otherwise, we have to go with them being the ones behind it.

We were only watching it for as long as Real Doctor was watching it, so 45 minutes.

WARNING

WARNING

IMPACT IMMINENT

CONTACT WITH NULL ENERGY WILL RESULT IN TOTAL PLANETARY DESTRUCTION

RECOMMEND MAXIMUM THRUST UNTIL PLANET HAS ACHIEVED CLEARANCE

So why did Nardole followed the Doctor
was that some "Is bad for the Doctor to travel alone thing?"

Simulation Doctor is a construct made out of 0s and 1s. The message that he sends is also made out of 0s and 1s. Every simulation is tapped into the same virtual environment (when asked to randomly generate an integer each simulation generates the same one) suggesting that there is limited sandboxing and so he can send a message to the outside world because he's part of the simulation.

I mean they didn't apply the TARDIS translation circuit, so clearly they don't have a full understanding.

They did have access to the Doctor's memories, so they probably built the TARDIS from that

>You do seem to have an impressive record of fatalities credited to you
So these are deaths of the Doctor or deaths that the Doctor has caused?

Yeah I was like, fuck did Moff forget that the TARDIS translation circuits exist when the monks started talking in another language?

I assume the former. It freaked them out because he's died so many times but come back from them all, i.e. impossible to actually kill.

Deaths that the Doctor caused.

The Doctor said to look him up as "Cause of death"

>Simulation Doctor is a construct made out of 0s and 1s.

Human shit leave, you don't know how alien tech works. Might as well say we can hack their shit with no problems cause lol ones and zeroes

- why would a simulation have the projector inside itself

- why have portals in a simulation

- how did the simulation doctor email himself when he's a simulation

- how did moffat continue to get work

I was confused too. It's deaths the doctor has caused

I thought it was a clue about the virtual reality, but Steven Moffat did a mini interview about the episode, and the actual reason was he just thought italian would sound better

radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-20/doctor-who-exclusive-steven-moffat-reveals-the-secrets-of-extremis

just finished watching Extremis and mama mia this was an interesting episode, Moffat really wants to go out with a bang

should've guessed that Missy was the one in the vault - Simmaster fucking when

were those flashbacks pre-Mysterio then, if so, how did the Doctor convince Nardole to go to NYC to investigate Harmony Shoal

what did /who/ think, are we hype for next week? we finally see the debut of Casual Untucked Red Shirt + Hoodie 12

I'm curious to see what the hell Episode 8 is gonna be about and what the reason is behind 12's raggedy coat

Any machine capable of simulating billions of self aware individuals probably has the ability to send off a signal of some kind even if unintentionally. Any kind of radiation emission, anything that can oscillate, just changing something to emit an electromagnetic pulse can be turned into a signal that can be interpreted. It might not have been intended for use that way but so long as you have a method for sending out a 1 or a 0 you can transmit data.

Overclock one of the processors, make it faster, then slower, then faster again, etc. If the processor emits radiation then you have a signal. Not the best example but an alien computer would have tons of crazy ass shit that can probably be made into a transmitter through the software alone.

Moffat can't conceive of what alien tech would look like because he is human and the only experiences that he has is with human technology, retard.

He can combine ideas and enhance them or diminish them but at the end of the day a unicorn is just a horse with a horn. Humans can't come up with anything they haven't experienced.

So if they're running lots of simulations. I'm imagining the doctor just getting DDoSed by thousands of simulation doctors.

It might not be actually binary, but "0s and 1s" is a good analogy for any information in a program, in this case the doctor and the simulation

>- why would a simulation have the projector inside itself
I think it was more like the center or the begining
>- why have portals in a simulation
easily
>- how did the simulation doctor email himself when he's a simulation
Read previous posts
>- how did moffat continue to get work
MOFFAT A CUTE