BvS Star Jeremy Irons Says Movie Got "Deserved Kicking" From Critics

>It's no secret that Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice was massacred by critics on release. But what does franchise Oscar-winning star Jeremy Irons had to say about it? When confronted by the fact that his movie got a ruthless kicking by critics, he said, "Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn’t matter but it was sort of overstuffed…" He went on to add, "It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The script is certainly a lot smaller, it’s more linear," offering some hope that the next DCEU film could perhaps be a littler better. As for what's in it for him he frankly said, "I’m tied into The Batman at the minute [the next instalment, Justice League Part One, is due next year], which is nice because it’s a bit of income… Not that I need a bit of income but it’s nice to keep ticking over."

Should stars of a movie be allowed to trash it if they didn't like it? With a big franchise like this, I don't think it's a good idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-star-jeremy-irons-says-movie-a142113
theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/25/chris-evans-radio-2-show-to-be-investigated-over-jeremy-irons-swearing
youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug
youtube.com/watch?v=Daj9hpLRmsI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When you have the kind of cred Jeremy Irons has, yes, why shouldn't he? I liked BvS as a whole, but there is too many dumb decisions that were made.
Snyder absolutely needs someone to tell him "No, that's retarded" when he goes too far. He shouldn't even be in charge in the first place.

Yes they should. They are directly involved with production and their insight on what was happening at the time, what mood was during the production is very important. Especially hilarious when it's all fucked up, recordings of what was going on during the production of Phantom Menace is a god tier comedy material.

Why don't we just rape Zack Snyder?

>''Ben, you have to rape Snyder.''

>stars of a movie
he had a relatively small role in the entire scope of the movie

Source, OP?

He was also one of the few good parts in the movie.

We'll we get this in the DCEU?

>be allowed

Stars can say whatever the fuck they want about a movie after its release. They're not allowed to say anything before the movie's release because they have to promote it.
It was too deep for Jeremy Irons, he doesn't understand capekino :^)

Sure. If something you've been working on turns out to be bad for reasons beyond your involvement you should very well have the right to criticize it. I mean, if you're doing your best and putting a lot of hard work into it you have every right to call out other people for fucking up.

>Ben is slowly sinking into anger and darkness like Batman
>Leto is becoming an ABSOLUTE MADMAN as the Joker
>Irons calling them out on their shit like Alfred

the lines between the cast and the characters is blurring
hypercrisis soon

comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-star-jeremy-irons-says-movie-a142113

I remember triggered people going "Alfred is alcoholic!"

It's obvious Jeremy Irons doesn't understand the true kino that Snyder created.

>It was too deep for Jeremy Irons

The guy was in Inland Empire, one of the most confusing and best movies ever made.

Hi, Zack.

He probably realized he had more fun with Daredevil.

Irons doesn't give a fuck in general, really. He seems like a fun guy.

theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/25/chris-evans-radio-2-show-to-be-investigated-over-jeremy-irons-swearing

I only know this guy from the D&D movie so he shouldn't trash other movies, he should be happy he has work to begin with

Snyder & Ayer know how to pick em.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Underage please leave.

This.
One of the qualities of kinography is that you disregard everything for your own vision.
Zack Snyder, like the genius he is, disregarded everything, even what the audience would want from a Batman vs Superman movie, to deliver his pure vision.

Actors from other Distributors, maybe.
But with Disney? Not a chance in hell
youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug

>When you have the kind of cred Jeremy Irons has, yes, why shouldn't he?
I agree with this. At this stage in his career, he shouldn't be in crap like this.

What's Irons talking about? He was apart of a spectacle. BvS was a solid 9/10, better than all of those repetitive MCU movies.

>Batman
>Alfred
>Beautiful cinematography
>Luthor's fantastic plan
>Wonder Woman
>Score
>Symbols and themes
>Warehouse fight
>Doomsday

The movie was the best thing since sliced bread.

Whedon has basically stated Age of Ultron was a mistake

>not the first post by this IP
Snyder pls.

Based Alfred

So Irons' opinion was bought by Disney.

Holy shit, Warner Brothers really does not give a single fuck how bad of a hack they put in charge of important projects.

The only person bribed by Disney was Snyder.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed too if my movie made a modest critical and box office success, oh yeah, what a fucking shitheap, Whedon.

Do you think most of the other actors on set knew it was gonna be a disaster as it was being filmed?

So he's not in JL1? Shit.

I'd watch an Alfred movie starring Irons.

& Disney answered appropriately.

>actors hate it
>critics hate it
>didn't live up to WB's standards
>DC responds by involving more beloved creative talent

So, what's next? I'm hype for Rebirth, maybe things will get better after Justice League. I'm waiting until whatever's coming after SS and JL to permanently disregard the DCEU.

Synder's not in charge anymore

SAVE US CEREAL KING

did you not just read the text?

I think when Snyder insisted on settling creative differences over push up competition it tipped some people off.

He's in, but Snyder will kill him.

He was in Dungeon's and Dragons

Whedon left

>"left"
Yeah

>>actors hate it
>>critics hate it
>>didn't live up to WB's standards
>>DC responds by involving more beloved creative talent
Bribes by Disney, the movie is good and there's nothing you can do to change it.

Only one of them.
I think you can see who in here.

So are we taking bets on Irons betraying everyone in Justice League? You know, like Judas.

>implying you can check that

Morrison pla

Poor Ben.

4chanX has a plugin that marks when a post is made by a new IP.
It doesn't associate posts to IPs, of course, but it just uses the same script Sup Forums uses with the IP counter.
Everytime a post ads a new IP to the counter, it marks that post.

>everyone laughing, looking at different places
>not Ben, he's just looking dead inside straight into the camera

I disagree with him on it being a deserved kicking, I think the critics were by far harshly negative without merit.

what a beautiful idea

>The script is certainly a lot smaller

For fuck's sake, it really was 4 hours long

He didn't exactly trash it. He acknowledged its shortcomings, that's not the same thing. It would be weird if he insisted that everything was superb after the reception the movie got.
But anyway, he was one of the best parts of the movie, so he can say whatever the fuck he wants as long as he still agrees to come back for the sequels.

>I only know this guy from the D&D movie
Just... how?

>he knew

While Kenneth Branagh didn't call Thor 'overstuffed' or say it didn't get anywhere near the reviews his other movies (many of which were nominated for BAFTAs, if not AMPAS awards) that those reviews were 'deservedly' received, he certainly has distanced himself from it - likewise, Anthony Hopkins has definitely dismissed doing any more work on Thor post TDW and it didn't sound like he was that into being in that sequel.

If Marvel and WB want to hire nominees and winners (which they do, when they hire people like Natalie Portman as a love interest, and Robert Redford as a villain, just to name a few examples), they should expect that those people might not 100% back the end product or talk it up after the fact (you don't see Redford trashing The Winter Soldier or Civil War, but [a] he rarely gives any kind of interviews unless he's doing promotion and even then he refuses to discuss anything other than what's he's promoting, but he's the rare bird), but when you are going to have a press that's going to ask, "what did you think of the bad reviews (or whatever)" you don't think they are going to soft-ball their response.

I think he was one of the best things in the movie, not just his performance, but the way it was written and how they used the character of Alfred and (in comparison to how the changed some canon aspects of other DC characters) how his role was modified from canon.

>you'll never beat that goofy smile off Snyder's face
>you'll never begin to beat him harder when he starts explaining the deep symbolism behind your punches breaking his nose

He is confirmed to be in The Batman

So he will be dead in that

Who's the one in the left.

Hopkins will be back for Ragnarok, seems like he changed his mind now.

He certainly didn't like working on Thor 2 and said he won't come back, but maybe he likes Waititi's ideas for Ragnarok and has more faith in this one turning out better.

>when the spin-offs become better than the main program.

Damn, Ruth looks exactly the same as in Superman Returns.

Caity Lotz, Sara in Arrow.

"Overstuffed and muddled" is a pretty kind way to put it, tbqh.

BvS was so bad, DC had to change logo to distance themselves from the shame.

JK Simmons pls

After seeing the movies, I was always impressed at how friendly, open, and positive Cavill came across in interviews and such.

I mean, part of that's just naturally how people act in interviews, but he just seems like he's amazing as Superman when he's not in costume.

>Ben's fw Suicide Squad wipes the floor with Dawn of Justice

Really, he always seems kind of aloof to me. Friendly but distant. I actually don't think he could play Clark with personal warmth, though kind, detached god might work.
He isn't warm or personable in U.N.C.L.E., either.

Ben knew for ages. You remember him at SDCC? When we all thought it was cause he broke up with his wife? We were wrong

Yeah they're allowed to say what they want, even if it's wrong. BvS was a masterpiece.

Jesus has Lotz had work done? Her face looks off. Or just a bad picture?

Yeah; despite not getting to do much of it in the films because of Snyder's bizarre creative choice to have Superman be so dour all the time, I honestly think that Cavill has all the makings of a great Superman.

Hell, there are scenes in Man of Steel where he gets to be warm that make me think 'that is Superman'.
youtube.com/watch?v=Daj9hpLRmsI

>Fox is going to become the Deadpool Cinematic Universe
>DC will become the Harley Quinn Cinematic Universe

Tis a strange world we live in.

It's really happening. The evil that is the Joker must be contained, or it'll be like hell on Earth. Maybe they'll reopen Danvers State Hospital.

If only Cavill was allowed to smile as Superman at other times than when he's about to smash a guy through walls, fuck or die, he could make a great Supes

>Keep smiling you dumb fuck, your ass is mine.

from my perspective, this isn't crossing the line. no where does he specifically slam studio, producers, editing, writing, acting, etc, he just refers to it all as muddled, overstuffed.

if i was an exec i literally wouldn't give a shit, especially since he said this after it made its run in theaters (presumably)

I wonder if Sup Forums will turn on Irons or keep up their charade of BvS being a flawless work of art even with seasoned actors calling it out as fraudulent fluff.

What a detestable waste of everyone's time.
Can't wait for Affleck to kick off at full sprint and finally get this ball rolling.
Play time's over Snyder, step all the way the fuck to the side.

eh atleast he's a movie director and not a tv director/whedon

I LIKED BvS and I agree with him. It was overstuffed, muddled and badly edited. I wanna hope the Ultimate Cut fixes some of those issues, but the theatrical cut had problems and you can't deny that.

The fact that he's being that honest about it but also saying the JL Part One will be less crazy is good.

>Luthor's fantastic plan

You're kidding, right?

IT'S HAPPENING

>mfw was this was Snyder's plan all along
>he took a dive on BvS to make upcoming DCEU movies that much better.
zack pls

The 9/10 didn't tip you off?

HOW CAN ONE MAN BE BASED HIS ENTIRE CAREER!?

God dammit.

I know it's stupid to feel this bad for a guy who's won a fucking academy award for writing and pissed away more money on drugs and booze than I'll ever see in my life, but I do.

I hope he hits it out of the park with Batman and JL just so this will stop happening to him.

>Batman on his knees

Kek.

I think his words are kind of being twisted here to make it sound like he's saying "oh yeah it's shit and it deserves the pounding it got." He's being frank about its flaws, which he's very correct about it.

You shouldn't.
Wanna know why? Because he's a hypocrite.
Years ago someone asked him if he'd ever consider doing another superhero movie after Daredevil and he went into this story about how George Clooney keeps a photo of himself in the Batman suit in his office as a reminder of how bad things can get when he you take a role just for the money. Affleck says he feels that way about Daredevil and that he'll never do a superhero movie again.

So now he's falling in line behind Clooney to play Batman.

>tfw our generation will finally bear witness to Batman raping the Joker
What a time to be alive

Decisions and people change over time. He's not a hypocrite at all

Yeah. Anything below 10/10 is obvious bait. People should know better by now.

He wasn't suppose to be though. Napoleon Solo is suppose to be a smug asshole.