Armond /ourguy/ White has spoken

Armond /ourguy/ White has spoken
twitter.com/3xchair/status/878274925735313409
nationalreview.com/article/448901/baby-driver-almost-great-beguiled-hipsterdom-last-knight-pyrotechnics

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/not-in-defense-of-armond-white
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I love this dude

>literal faggot nigger the king of Sup Forums
Makes sense

>Almost-Great
So he thinks it's a good film?

Ok, now i'm absolutely sure that he browsing that place

I'm not surprised because he usually loves anything by Edgar.

So Sup Forums loves a gay black contrarian? Makes sense.

>It’s Foxx’s best characterization since Any Given Sunday, and the Black Lives Matter mob should be analyzing it from now on

>armond white is contrar-

>Baby Driver might have equaled Breathless, Bonnie & Clyde, and Chinatown
Damn, he really liked this movie. He thinks it has some flaws that prevent it from being a masterpiece but he overall really enjoyed it. Anti-Wright plebs BTFO.

I haven't even seen this flick but fuck Armond. He's contrarian for contrarian's sake, so I guess in that sense he really is Sup Forums's guy.

>For those who have desperately waited for morality to return to movies after Tarantino’s paradigm shift into nihilism, Baby Driver is almost it
Taranfeeto BTFO

This board has moved beyond White then. Looks like he was never truly Sup Forums. Perhaps reddit would be more his scene, he'd get plenty of upvotes for spewing his meme vetted opinions on the meme movies of meme directors.

Edgar Wright is video games. Out of the 4 flicks he made The Worlds End is the one that's closest to not being a video game. Hot Fuzz is the most autism fedora tip one.

Enjoying SOTD or TWE is not something I actively participate in, but it is at least concievable. Scott Pilgrim and Hot Fuzz on the otherhand are pure Sup Forums autism manchild reddit fedora tip meme. If you enjoy them for one instant you instantly rescind your right to live. They are both autistic children gurning in your face while contorting their image to match all of their favorite meme images.

Fuck Wright.

anyone who claims Armond is a contrarian or a troll is simpleton

>Wright’s movie and song references should return audiences to the principles that post-Tarantino culture has lost. Or have we been Occupied, Antifa’d and Fergusoned so harshly that the young generation Wright addresses enjoys only the shock of violence and no longer cares about the cultural heritage based on those non-Tarantino virtues: connection, respect, obligation, civility, and love?

jesus christ

If you unironically use the word "contrarian" you're quite literally just a lazy pleb who can't even muster defending mediocre mainstream garbage. Fuck off to pleebit.

Wright is a genius auteur, you pleb.

Review is a goldmine

>the only thing Wright loves more than movies is pop music, and the film’s overflow of these pop references prove he is a more talented and artistic manipulator than Quentin Tarantino.

>For those who have desperately waited for morality to return to movies after Tarantino’s paradigm shift into nihilism,Baby Driver is almost it. But that’s exactly how it pampers. Wright’s evocation of cinematic history demonstrates the blinkered moral lookout that once defined the Baby Boomer generation — and now Millennials. The fears and scant hopes we feel today are personified in Baby, a hero on the Asperger’s scale, who shades himself from the world and plugs earbuds into his head, feeding the energy of pop songs into his alienated existence.

>Baby’s scariest criminal colleague is Bats (Jamie Foxx), a black ghetto fiend from the film’s Atlanta, Ga., setting. It’s Foxx’s best characterization since Any Given Sunday, and the Black Lives Matter mob should be analyzing it from now on.

Christ its just a complete fuck you to tarantino. this is great

There are plenty of acclaimed filmmakers Armond White loves. People who think he's a total contrarian don't know enough about him.

Sounds good.

>100% on RottenTomatoes
>even the gay black conservative likes it
Wew, I can't wait to see this film. It sounds like Edgar has delivered another masterpiece.

Read the fucking review you inbred retard.

Did you read the review? Armond loves Edgar Wright and the user you're responding to is shitting all over Wright.

> nod to Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, geek blockbusters that also pampered fans who take pleasure in feigning their innocence.
Fuckin savage

He almost liked it.
>I wantedBaby Driverto be great, but Wright doesn’t risk tragedy asBreathless, Bonnie & Clyde, andChinatowndid. Instead,Baby Drivercaters to the blinkered, solipsistic state of our present-day culture; it’s an Asperger’s masterpiece.

he's so contrarian, sometimes he embraces the consensus to be contrarian against his own contrarianness

>Though not as meretricious as the culture remixing by that innocent amoral idiot Tarantino, Wright is essentially shallow, which is akin to what made Paul Simon a gifted yet minor artist.
LMAO
thank you Armond

see

Lmao. Have sex.

Yeah the thing I admire about Armond is he doesn't just blurt out BAD MOBIE IS GUD, GUD MOBIE BAD

He finds legitimate flaws in films people line up to suck the dicks of and he finds legitimate highlights in movies people arbitrarily shit on

It's so simple and effective I can't believe he's the only professional critic who does it

I read that less that it's bad but that it could have been better than just good, there's too many things to like but it just missed perfection in his eyes.

It's funny but as much as people call out Armond as a contrarian if you look at some of the comments on his reviews he takes time to converse with people and is completely fine if they disagree, not even in a passive aggressive way.

He said "I wanted Baby Driver to be great" he didn't say "I wanted to like Baby Driver". He clearly liked the film, he had some major problems with it but he also said tons of nice things about it. Opinions aren't always black and white.

His whole thing is to give good films bad scores over minor errors.

This guy wants to be white so hard. It wouldn't surprise me that he bathes with milk in hopes of bleaching his skin

>Fergusoned
What?

>spewing out random unrelated nonsense during a movie review

>100% on RT
>Armond White likes it

I can die peacefully now.

Memes aside, is it that good?

>Memes aside, is it that good?

Probably not (fuck RT BTW) but Edgar Wright hasn't let me down yet, plus I love car chase movies.

Guys, the best part of the article comes later, in his Transformers review.
>By trying to outdo James Cameron, Peter Jackson, and Christopher Nolan, Bay must have forgotten that he used to be the superior artist.

Not white really. He wants to be an upper class gay pretentious guy like Cocteau and to look down on everything.

>genius
No
>auteur
Yes

blacks rioting over justifiable police actions

This. You can cry "contrarian" all you want but the guy makes a good, solid, sound argument.

>8.5/10
it's probably about that good. Wright's a good if not spectacular director.

top fucking lel

Why is he namedropping those 3 unrelated films? I get comparing Breathless and Bonnie & Clyde, but Chinatown is nothing like them and I don't see what in Baby Driver would compel you to think it would be like any of them either.

He was on an episode of The Canon and was completely civil, friendly and eager to share. Even when shitting on a movie in the podcast he did it with more good humor than any review of his I've read. His review persona is clearly an act, and a stale one

And once again, the big black critic cock triumphs over the cucked white critics.
How can they even compete?

The absolute madman, now I can't wait for Avatar 2!

Saw an early showing and I must say it is a really fun film. All the characters gel well together and the songs are on point.

>tfw your audience will try to legitimize and explain your idiotic ramblings if you go against even the blandest of popular opinions

Some people are desperate for an idol, it seems.

I don't think he is just being contrarian but he is certainly a troll. He shoves BLM or Obama into 80% of the reviews.

How is he even can possibly be contrarian when he watch movie before mass audience and write review in the same time as other critics and release it before premier?

Armond is clearly the one with asperger's

>spectacular director.
KEK

JESUS CHRIST

In the quiet words of the virgin Mary, "Come again?"

Get out, pleb.

>become less conscious
lol whatever buddy

He's saying Baby Driver had a happy ending and didn't "risk tragedy" like the endings of those other films.

How can he be contrarian if he express his opinion before most people even can form it

Not really tho, the language he uses makes it seem like his reviews have a lot of substance but in reality, if you look close enough, he's not saying much. He usually revolves around the same rhetoric, name dropping films and filmmakers as a substitute of a deep argument.

Look I like most of Wright's films but, to call him a spectacular director is pushing it way to hard. He is good.

I get that, but it's a comedy. Does he think all comedies should have morbid endings, or is he saying that he wanted the movie to be something it wasn't?

I can see the comparison to Bonnie and Clyde and Breathless because those are fun, breezy films about young criminals until the law catches up with them, but Chinatown is a full on tragedy the whole way through. It doesn't risk tragedy, that's the whole point. It's a weird movie to reference like that because it doesn't even fit the analogy

People getting buttmad about White haven't read enough of his stuff. I remember when I first read his review of a film I liked that he shit all over. His socio-political rambling and moral nit-picking irritated me a lot and for a long time I disregarded him as a provocateur. Eventually, having read more of his work you realize he's not a contrarian at all. He just sees films through an artistic, moral, social and political lens. Which sometimes leads him to opinions that are completely different to the crowd and sometimes not. If morality and politics are not things you value in film criticism it's pointless to read him because there are better critics out there for the artistic side of things. But bringing a new perspective to film criticism definitely makes him stand out. And I think you owe it to yourself to at least read some of his work for the novelty.

Why is a happy ending inherently worse than a tragic one?

I said he wasn't spectacular

>but it's a comedy
Is it?

my favourite part of most of armond's reviews is you can't tell if he likes the movie or not because instead of actually talking about the movie, he talks about other filmmakers or popular culture instead

>Why is he namedropping those 3 unrelated films

Literally in the first part of the review you idiot. Read the review.

I can buy Bay having been better than Peter Jackson and Nolan at some point, but Cameron made The Terminator.

I've been asking this for years, maybe people think it's more "mature" or "realistic", that regardless of Baby's snappy positivity and love for the girl, it doesn't change the fact that he's a criminal, even if those he associates with are even more morally bent than he is.

The guilty must be punished, and the innocent protected, but even then the latter gets broken so many times in crime dramas with innocents getting fucked up.

Damn...

>Bay having made anything nearly as good as LotR
kek

Or Frighteners, or Dead Alive...Okay Bad Boys is better than Frighteners

my favourite part of most of tarantino's movies is you can't tell if he try to make some point or not because instead of actually talking about something important, he talks about other filmmakers or popular culture instead

>the film’s overflow of these pop references prove he is a more talented and artistic manipulator than Quentin Tarantino.
See pic

Also, what does he mean by "Aspergers masterpiece"? Does a character in the movie actually have Aspergers or is he just pulling shit out of his ass again? You know, to make sure people know he "analyzed" the film.

>Or have we been Occupied, Antifa’d and Fergusoned so harshly that the young generation Wright addresses enjoys only the shock of violence and no longer cares about the cultural heritage based on those non-Tarantino virtues: connection, respect, obligation, civility, and love?

BASED
A
S
E
D

>He even employs a new little robot, in the mode of The Phantom Menace’s BB-8
???

Why don't you read it and see why he did call it like that?

>Or have we been Occupied, Antifa’d and Fergusoned so harshly that the young generation Wright addresses enjoys only the shock of violence and no longer cares about the cultural heritage based on those non-Tarantino virtues: connection, respect, obligation, civility, and love?

>mentions nigger coons and tarantino out of the blue

Is he Sup Forums incarnate?

maybe you should read it you faggot
one excerpt doesn't cover it all

>his review is just an excuse to take passive aggressive shots at the "mainstream" and other "critics"

He's such a fucking faggot

It's not passive

Because Baby Driver uses the same imagery as those films, as stated earlier in the review. Armond is saying that Baby Driver only copies the surface level stuff of those great films and that is why it isn't great.

I don't think it's worth reading, honestly. He often uses a bunch of big words to make himself sound smart and to pad out the review. It's irritating to read pseudo-intellectual garbage like this. He's not writing a fucking thesis, and I don't want to read one.

he's literally my hero

So why bitching about it?

>I don't think it's worth reading, honestly
I don't think it's worth you posting, honestly

Seriously, fucking retarded faggots like you and the ilk of normies from Sup Forums and constant media exposure is what made this site shit, along with ironic posting involving Poe's Law

Read it or shut the fuck up, fag

>random tarantino rants
>random nigger rants
>a single piece of visual homage to previous movies means the movies has to represent similar values and themes
>says the character is on the autism spectrum because he's a bit introverted

he could easily shitpost on Sup Forums

>random
>random
it's not random, it's legitimate context
>means the movies has to represent similar values and themes
no, it means that copying imagery without thematic context is hollow. so the answer is don't copy imagery unless it reflects the same thematic content
and yes baby driver is obviously on the spectrum dumb dumb.

>it's not random
>black guy appears on screen
LEMME TELL YOU ABOUT THESE FUCKING OCCUPY WALL STREET PEOPLE, THIS FUCKING BLM COONS...
>copying imagery
it's a slight nod at best, anyone looking for a deeper connection to the movies the scene is referencing is the one that's autistic
>baby is on the autism spectrum
......... i drive part deux

I'll read the review if you read this:

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/not-in-defense-of-armond-white

The man clearly isn't right in the head. He purposely writes bad reviews for the publicity; he insults people who disagree with him; and he's even been kicked out of screenings for being an obnoxious jackass. Ad hominem, I know - but these are all qualities that can and obviously do impact the integrity of the writing.

read this
it's coherent as hell. people want blood and violence, and justified violence in movies against said "bad" or "misaligned" people, like tarantino (see gruesome deaths for every bad person in his films; not a single pity death or let off a little)

>Ad hominem, I know - but these are all qualities that can and obviously do impact the integrity of the writing.
they don't, though. He IS an asshole. But that's doesn't mean he's wrong.

>black guy appears on screen
>LEMME TELL YOU ABOUT THESE FUCKING OCCUPY WALL STREET PEOPLE, THIS FUCKING BLM COONS

Well, you clearly don't understand what random means

'Baby Driver' must be the worst title ever given to a film, it's even me offputting than Live. Die. Repeat