Storytime of Pain & Knuckles

PART 3

I'm going to do as much as I can before the big party tonight. Let's do this.

Part 1 (Issues 1-8)
Part 2 (Issues 9-15)

I probably won't finish today, but we'll see

>All in good time
Why would he want to withhold that information?

The Knuckles comics were objectively awful.

The art was decent

I always suspected this guy would turn out to be a villain

Why else would he be dressed as Darth Vader?

Because Penders has 0 original ideas in his head
I agree, but can you not post images during a storytime
Because it adds "mystery" to the book in the most asinine way

I can't not read this as "smega stud" even knowing what it's supposed to say.

That 4th panel perfectly sums up how Penders writes every single female character he gets his hands on

I get why Knuckles is upset here, but at the same time this guy's already 15 times the father Locke is. For one, he doesn't microwave his son as an infant, fake his own death, abandon his son in the wild, and go out of his way to avoid him

To Ken's credit, that really doesn't matter.
You have to be in that situation to understand.

I suppose.

This scene fucking frustrates me so much. Instead of using this chance to give these two believable chemistry and actually give Julie Su SOME semblance of a character, he completely wastes it. I really just hate that whole Knuckles/Julie Su romance in general because there's practically no chemistry

Onto issue 17

I don't think the average 10 year old wants romance in his comic

Don't tell that to Penders, because Penders wasn't writing this for kids.

Pretty much

This pairing always felt forced as hell.

It's a good message for a kids comic at the very least. Seeing your parents divorce and remarry when you're still that young can be distressing. People who have had to deal with that can relate to Knuckles here.

I will give him that, that at least it was handled decently. But I'll immediately take it away because he acts like it was such a big fucking deal and lauds himself over how "progressive" he was for this

Those thought bubbles that spell out how they're tsundere for each other reminds me of CWC's dialogue.

Not that I'm even remotely surprised.

Both of them are as subtle as fucking bricks

Okay, there's two small things about Pender's dialogue that piss me off in particular: that habit of starting sentences on one page and finishing them as a transition is cool the first 3 times, but almost every scene has it.
Also bolding every other word is just annoying

>...This ISN'T what I would call a TEXTBOOK example of SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT!
>Y'know, Archy, I'd be LYING if I said I DIDN'T miss you... But I'm afraid a lot's gone down since I last saw you! It just isn't the same anymore!
>That's WHAT I wanted to talk ABOUT, my boy! The fact that it's been a LONG time...
The way it's written is just really unnatural.

>The way it's written is just really unnatural.
It really is, and it makes the comics he writes annoying to read. He's obviously trying to make it more dramatic than it is, but it comes off as like you said: unnatural and weird

That echidna woman in the first panel. Her arms are fucking twigs!

It's true, some of us have had to deal with being radioactive echidna gods whose mothers that we barely knew remarried.
It's a decent idea, but it should really be done with a more "normal" character like Vector.

>It's a decent idea, but it should really be done with a more "normal" character like Vector.
Well, there were implications in Ian's run that he did have some sort of issues with his parents (Well foster parents) but that never got to go anywhere

It's just that you shouldn't do a story like that with a character who JUST MET his parents.

Also, on point: Tobor is the FUCKING WORST and the final straw on the whole "Knuckles lineage" thing. His convoluted story just cements this as garbage instead of an interesting history.

>Also, on point: Tobor is the FUCKING WORST and the final straw on the whole "Knuckles lineage" thing. His convoluted story just cements this as garbage instead of an interesting history.
Care to explain why you hate Tobor so much? I kind of checked out mentally on the family tree around this time
>It's just that you shouldn't do a story like that with a character who JUST MET his parents.
Oh absolutely. It's like Penders just wanted to do this kind of story without putting any thought of how to actually do it in a believable manner. This isn't even the worst case of that

I only half pay attention to this madness. What's so bad about him?

Wondering whether or not the Flintstones found their oranges is more interesting than anything else in this issue.

It's more interesting than most of the arcs of this comic. Fuck, I'd rather watch Underground than read this

You'll see by the end of this issue.
It's the most redundant shit.

Wait a second, couldn't Tobor have screamed? His mouth was still working and the guy was within shouting distance

>Copy pasted art in the second and third panels.
>Rocks change position in the fourth panel even though it's the same angle

End of issue 17 and I'll be taking a quick break for lunch.

>TO BE CONTINUED...
>(It'll be worth it!)

Oh. I'm sure it will.

Yeah, you see this? This is why Tobor is fucking awful. Ken wanted to have his cake and eat it.

See, Ken wanted a mole in the Brotherhood, so he thought up Tobor (get it? robot backwards?). Problem: The Brotherhood is SOOOO COOOOOL and infallible. So the solution is a body double, and it's a super important Legion guy to make THEM look cool. But if a Guardian DIED and it was in vain, the Brotherhood would look bad!

So now we have two fucking Tobors running around for decades because fuck you, and Ken writes some lore for fake-Tobor next issue. Problem is he clearly wrote that via stream-of-consciousness, because he ended up creating timeline problems! So the next several times we hear about Not!Tobor, there's a bunch of fucking retcons being hurled around.

And, SPOILERS! Once again, regular Tobor ONLY exists to make the Brotherhood look better. So he gets pushed on a bus and randomly dies years later. And Not!Tobor? One issue of Knuckles chasing Cyclops around Haven, vague threats, some retcons, and then NOTHING ELSE. EVER.

It is an entirely pointless waste of time, even by Ken's standards, and is a major source of lore glut. And the IDEA of a robot spy is fine! He just didn't fucking use it.

Fuck. Tobor.

Good point. Also I forgot Tobor randomly comes back to die later

Also, knowing the big "secret" about Remington makes some parts of this issue like 1% more interesting

I really wish you had done a full Penders run, just to get the followup on a lot of this garbage

>This Thread

I was originally considering that, but then I realized that I do not have the time needed to do that. Hell, I realized that I planned this one pretty poorly
>Posting images during an active storytime

I saw people do it three yesterday.

>Not posting images during a Sonic storytime.
It's not like it's ending in this thread anyway. Fuck it.

Yeah and they're kind of dickish for it. If you really wanna post images, at least wait until I move on to the next thread

Someone's never been in a Sonic dump before.

I have, and normally I'm okay with it since they're usually much shorter. Ah screw it, fine, go ahead. Just don't go overboard is all I ask

I posted the 3 I saved for Knuckles series specifically. I don't care to post anything else.

The more I read the more thankful I am that none of this is canon anymore
Okay cool

Why is his penis a dimensional portal?

Penders has weird fetishes?

Also I just noticed that one of the captions has a different font. I assume it was edited