/trek/ general

>Set a course to the Devron system
>Warp 13
What? I thought Warp 10 is the max, and when they reach it they travel instantaneously
Pic is from the last episode of TNG

>when they reach it they travel instantaneously
Sometimes that isn't enough, and you have to get there faster than that: getting there before you even leave. To prevent paradoxes, the longer you travel, the earlier you can get somewhere. Traveling from one end of the universe to the other allows you to cut several hours from the time you started.

that nice mulatto lady looks like she could use some D

The crew were messing with Picard because he was old and senile.

Transwarp lad

warp 10 apparently transports you to every place in the universe at once, whatever that means

Why don't they just teleport themselves to faraway planets like they did in the movie.

that's not how warp works anymore

Are humans the Q? I got the feeling at the end of the episode, that Q wants us to evolve. What happened with Wesley also indicates it

they probably reclassified 9.5 to warp 10 and 9.6 to warp 11 and 9.7 to warp 12 and 9.8 to warp 13

That's how it used to be but they reworked warp speeds. I think warp used to scale exponentially, but your average joe wouldn't understand that the difference between 9.9 and 9.95 would be huge.

No idea how it is now. Also that long range beaming is the most retarded shit ever.

Ok so what's the rundown. I never understood why there were levels in the first place

Warp is a factor. Warp 1 is FTL. Each warp after 1 is exponentially faster than the one that preceeded it. So at Warp 4 you're travelling 100+ times faster than Warp 1.

Why didnt they just define warp as lightspeed +1m/s and double it from there hm? If warp 4 is 4 100 times the speed of light, whats warp 10? Why would voyager take so long to get home if they were supposedly going maximum fast?

>Why would voyager take so long to get home if they were supposedly going maximum fast?
The galaxy is a big place.

this desu, saying warp factor 9.99999975 probably gets annoying

why weren't they using the stargates to get home?

Why did the Enterprise travel so often at stupid speeds like Warp 2 or Warp 3?

You'd figure in the 24th century they'd have a cure for Senility. If they suspected Picard was suffering from Dementia, they could have just sent him for treatments.

>What? I thought Warp 10 is the max, and when they reach it they travel instantaneously

Obviously they went back to the TOS warp scale.

Yea listening to voyager is dumb. Just retcon that shit

I have started DS9 since I just finished TNG, why is the image quality so much worse than in TNG?
I found 1080p version of TNG easily, but only low quality 480p for DS9

Because they haven't made 1080p versions of DS9 episodes.

Enhanced warp drive. It's Like Warp 9.999999

TOS and TNG are the only series that got HD remasters. DS9 would've been next if the TNG Blu Rays sold better but they didn't

weren't the tng-blurries like 100 bucks per season?

You know, for a ship that was designed with fighting the Borg in mind, the Defiant got pretty badly thrashed. I mean, not as badly as the Miranda-class did but all the same.

It wasn't built to 1v1 cubes. It was a easily built weapon platform for mass production

It wasn't designed to take a cube on 1 on 1. It was supposed to be squadron of Defiant class swarming the the motherfucker.

However it wasn't that successful.

That's why Star Fleet designed the Prometheus class. One ship becomes a whole squadron. One squadron becomes a fleet.

I realize, but it wasn't exactly 1v1ing the cube in First Contact. I suppose an argument could be made that given how well the rest of the fleet was doing it might as well have been against the cube solo.

That would've been interesting to see: Starfleet attempting to stop a cube with a swarm of Defiant-class.

The Defiant (and the rest of the fleet) did a hell of a lot better against the cube than the fleet at Wolf 359.

I wouldn't consider it a failure as such. Starfleet basically put the best tech it had in the most agile package they could.

Most ships can only hit warp 10
These go to eleven.

That's fair.
Do you think the Dominion would fair decently against the Borg? Not like the "swarms of cubes" sort of invasion that guy in Voyager who could learn languages fast talked about but just a single cube to prod at them like the Federation. I personally think the Dominion would win in a "conventional" manner, but would have astronomically higher casualties.

To give the crew time to rest

The Dominion would have a very hard time. I think they would initially do very well. However as the borg adapt to their tactics and technology things would go very south. Especially if they got a hold of their cloning technology. They be cranking out tactile jem'hadar drones with thier personal shroud devices. The galaxy would be in a pretty shit circumstance.

God forbid they ever assimilated a founder.

The Dominion has won all its wars by having the superior numbers, firepower, and technology. If the Borg adapt to their tech, they might have trouble coming up with countermeasures. After all, their scientists are all clones. That could present a problem coming up with truly innovative out-of-the-box solutions. Like they couldn't come up with a cure with the virus Section 31 made.

Friendly reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.

Plus the founders are extremely arrogant. Their over confidence would extremely detrimental to opponent that is extremely adapt and creative.

Hence the loss to federation and their allies.

They couldn't take down O'Brien's mine field.

Considering obedience and doctrine are drilled into both Vorta and Jem'Hadar in birth, assimilating one of them will probably fuck over all their strategy in a major way.

Jesus christ stop this pointless spam and get some sleep or whatever you need to stop being an obnoxious fag that shill so hard a character that I'm starting to question the sympathy I had for him before I saw all of your posts in every trek threads.

This is gonna be a particularly speculative post.
Cloaking never struck me as a particularly Borg thing to do. With all their knowledge base and the fact that they've assimilated Klingons and probably Romulans (the colonies along the Neutral zone), the Borg probably just don't use cloaking because it's less efficient in some way and they've determined they just don't need to.
Cloning, too, doesn't strike me as very Borg since "extra manpower" seems to be rather bottom rung in terms of Borg priority under normal circumstances. Assimilation is one part growth of numbers but more importantly is growth of knowledge.
Jem'Hadar would in all likelihood make "excellent tactical drones" but there is the problem where once the Borg had assimilated one, they more or less know everything there is to possibly know about the Jem'hadar. They intend to make the culture and technology of others their own, and Jem'hadar don't really have a culture and don't produce technology.
Vorta might be a bit more interesting, even if their "culture" is equally nonexistent when compared to the Jem'hadar, but at least their genetically engineered minds might be somewhat useful to the Borg. I'd imagine that the Borg would assimilate Vorta and Jem'hadar if they could, but never go out of their way to because unless they desperately needed numbers, they basically don't add anything to the collective.

Do you think they could assimilate a liquid? We don't know how similar Changlings are to "solids," but we also don't know how adaptable Borg nanoprobes are.
Who, the Dominion military or the Borg? I can't imagine the collective being too terribly disturbed by the new drones, but I also don't see Jem'hadar blindly following the orders of an assimilated First. They're a little more clever than that... right?

Assimilating one founder could cause a major civil war inside the Dominion.

There would probably be a Vorta at DS9 within a week begging the federation for assistance.

how do you strap cybernetic implants at a puddle tho ?

>Who, the Dominion military or the Borg?

I meant that assimilating a Jem'Hadar or a Vorta would make pretty easy for the Borg to anticipate and adapt to Dominion strategy.

Nanomachines (-probes), son!

If the Borg nanites could convert the Founder, uh, "goop," then maybe? They could skip the implantation process and the Founder would just take the form of a drone or something, but with "implants" appearing or disappearing as needed.

Nooo the Jem'Hadar are technology. The borg would use them as tactile asset.

Especially if it's the Borg post Section 31 agent Janeway's obliteration of the unimatrix. The Borg who survived that would be a lot more aggressive.

>>If the borg can adapt to species 8472 then could assimilate a founder no problem.

That's a good point. Borg from after that might value manpower as maximum priority if they're trying to recuperate a loss of over a trillion (if I'm remembering that correctly).

what about ketracel-white? could the borg work their nanomagic to replace it, render it unnecessary?

Could the Borg beat the Greek God Apollo?

Most regular humanoids seem to require sleep, food, the presence of an atmosphere, etc. We've seen the Borg walk on the surface of a ship's hull in space without any apparent negative effects. I'd imagine it'd be relatively simple for the Borg to deal with that particular failing.

Of course they could, they have bigger costume budgets.

Implying that only one person posts it

Obviously. Just install an organ that synthesizes the ketracel.

Cleveland was in Starfleet?!

>Why did the Enterprise travel so often at stupid speeds like Warp 2 or Warp 3?

No rush plus faster costs more dilithium.

Impulse is fast man

Why did they turned the lights of in the movie(generations)? It looks weird

To make it more moody and cinematic. The TV show sets were lit like a 90's TV show.

Picard has a light phobia now, because of the fucking Kardashians.

He also has a phobia about numbers.

>Kardashians
>not sure if cheap joke or a very weird auto-correct

I kind of like Enterprise's whole Augment Virus bit with the Klingons because to me it helps rationalize how un-klingon Chang and Azetbur look in Undiscovered Country. Just like their families still have enough of affected Klingon blood to visually make them seem more human. Could go a step further and reason that the reason why Chang was so war-minded and yet also fixated upon Shakespeare was a need to prove his "Klingoness" but also a weird desire to learn his "heritage."

Also, Chang is a tremendously unklingon sounding name.

I'm a shipskate.

>Takes 4 days at Warp 9.6 to travel 20ly
>It takes 52 years to travel 10000ly
That doesn't make any sense, it should be 2000 days, or 5 and a half years. And how the fuck could the Federation operate if it takes that long for people to travel across it. "Hey, want to join Starfleet? Great, spend 20 years of your life flying to San Francisco."

The Warp scale was standardized after TNG, Warp 13 is something like Warp 9.9972 in Voyager

>255 years to cross Federation Space at cruising speed

That's just silly, the chart must be wrong. As interesting as it would be to see a sci-fi show deal with the logistical and administrative nightmare of running a society which took upwards of two and a half centuries to cross, that show is not Star Trek.

They were too fucking expensive

>Discovery will be shit
>Still want to see it
Dammit I need my trek dose.

>spend millions of dollars remastering TNG
>release it on Netflix
>wonder why it didn't sell well
Fucking Paramount is run by retards.

And now I'll tell you what it feels like being inside a vagina.

That version of the chart has a typo in that column. All the travel times at that distance are supposed to be x10 faster.

Bags filled with old fishy coins right?

Commander, tell me about your sexual organs.

I don't think Jem Hadar are good drones since they would die without the ketrical white infections

This fucking guy.... What do you think he's up to right now?

Hey Hey there babe, watcha doin?

GUYS

I have this amazing idea for a trek movie. Get this: an alien attacks and its up to the Enterprise and crew to save the day. But here's the kicker, the Enterprise gets DESTROYED HOLY FUCK

What's the alien's motivation? It had better be revenge. I won't watch a Star Trek movie where the motivation isn't revenge.

I Kickstarted the DS9 documentary Adam Nimoy is doing. One of the reasons why DS9 didn't have a HD or bluray is because going back and finding 20 year old negatives to remaster wouldn't have been cost productive. Apparently though they made enough money off crowdfunding for the doc that they can do that now so at least the documentary will have HD clips from the show. Hopefully this may lead to a bluray.

And a twist to make it interesting. Janeway is the captain. The aliens stole all coffee

he wants that beastie boys cd all for himself

>That's all Star Trek is, putting someone on a planet and coming back finding them pissed off.

about to finish the first season of the original series

is there a 'good time' to watch wrath of khan?

Why would you waste your money on kickstarter
You might as well light a cigar with buying $100 bills

*burning

After watching The motion picture, but I watched it after Space Seed for character reasons

Because spending $600 got me a ticket to STLV and a 30 person meet and greet with the cast of DS9.

After you finish the original series and after you watch The Motion Picture.

I'd say cardassians are more a grey than white

I wonder how well The Borg would be able to adapt against their Jihadi tactics. Tractor beams will work against one ship, maybe two or three if they fucking love tractor beams, but eventually one will get through.

If a direct hit from a spread of photon torpedos didn't do anything to a cube, a little ship crashing into it wouldn't do much more. Maybe one of the large jem'hadar battleships.

>God forbid they ever assimilated a founder.

>Do you think they could assimilate a liquid? We don't know how similar Changlings are to "solids," but we also don't know how adaptable Borg nanoprobes are.

I don't think Borg could assimilate a changeling, I think they're some kind of biological crystal structure (Bashir always technobabbled about Odo's morphogenic matrix) which presumably they manipulate to change their shape and size, but borg nanoprobes are pretty clearly designed to take control of humanoid cell structures, they wouldn't be able to attach themselves and would need to be redesigned, which will certainly take years if it's even possible at all.

>They couldn't take down O'Brien's mine field.
Rom's* minefield.

Voyager couldn't travel at constant maximum warp the entire way, because energy is not infinite and they had limited resources. They had to try to travel at speeds that made efficient use of their available power. Also, they were in a lot of uncharted space and had to stop and make course corrections around dangerous areas of space, various hostile species, and now and then for Janeway to get some murder out of her system.

For you.

Photon torpedos aren't anywhere near the same league as a warp core breach, and a ship will penetrate a lot further into a cube than a torpedo before exploding.

I was actually always quite disappointed with the portrayal of warp core breaches, antimatter explosions are ridiculously powerful. Even a leak in an antimatter fuel tank should start a chain reaction that can't be stopped once it comes into contact with normal matter.

Why not just make ten faster?

So like was Worf technically Russian?

No, fun fact: he's a Klingon