What grading company does Sup Forums think is better? CGC might be more established...

What grading company does Sup Forums think is better? CGC might be more established, but I think they lost a lot of respect with there new case design and the issues that came with it. I think CBCS is the better grading company right now, better customer service, turn around times, and free grader notes.

Bump for actual comics discussion

sad this thread got no responses. I'm not even a grading fag, but I think its a very interesting aspect of the industry. Oh well. Welcome to Sup Forums 2: Comics Bugaloo

I don't have any issues worth grading. I have some 70's comics but they're all in piss poor condition.

OP here glad there are a few people here that care to discuss. I recently got 5 books back from CBCS and was very pleased with the process.

CGC had a new case with terrible light distortion and over time books where starting to gain a waviness from the pressure held on there sides. As you can imagine people with very valuable books in these cases where not happy.

I assume Sup Forums doesn't have much of an opinion regarding grading comics because people here don't regularly get comics graded. I know I don't, at least.

i once tried to buy a golden age comic with a 2.0 score that was ratted up and barely held together
and the guy still wanted $10k for it or some shit

fuck speculators

So far, I've mostly been grading my variant covers, since I have no need to read them, it sorta frames them nicely as art.

>Cancer

What book was it? Golden Age books are actually rare and in high demand. Thats not really speculation that just supply and demand economics. That being said, you can find GA for about as low as $200, but Im assuming what you were looking at was a fairly significant key issue.

>sad this thread got no responses.
Sup Forums really isn't the best audience to address when it comes to comics grading. You might find better luck having this conversation at a place more focused on comics collecting or perhaps amongst collectors at a convention. But most of Sup Forums likely is focused on digital, trades or singles from the past 15 years or so. I myself have a good amount of bronze age and some silver age material but haven't really dipped into grading.

I regularly visit a forum like that, but I was curious if there were any like minded collectors that also visited here. While I agree it's not exactly the target audience for such a conversation, I figured a few might enjoy discussing the aspect of the hobby.

Sup Forums is generally more about reading comics than having them kept in an air-tight container.

ComicConnect the English guy who bought that Action Comics is a complete madman, paid a cool $3 million for it he's also the same dude who paid $650k for the original cover art for Amazing Spider-Man #328 (Cosmic Spidey vs Grey Hulk who's strongest now cover)

I don't know how he intends to get a profit flipping all the stuff he has, their collection is nuts and they've only been at it for 16 years

I'm pretty sure he owns comic art more impressive then that. I know Metropolis has a page of OA from Journey Into Mystery 83.

No reason you cant both enjoy reading comics, and seeing their legacy preserved.

probably, but what he spent on that ASM cover is completely bonkers, the Spider-Man #1 cover only went for half that amount and Miller's Batman and Robin splash from DKR #3 caught $450k and those are way more iconic than ASM #328.

How much does it cost to get a comic graded?

Got a few I've been considering it for.

>he has fingerprints on his comic books

get a load of this slob.

about $20 depending on how old the book is

Books from 1975 or newer cost 18 plus shipping. Older books can be pricier depending on which tier of speed you pick and the value of the book.

I've been waiting for Marvel to get off their ass and make that Runaways movie, I've got a pristine #1 I should really get graded.

Oh, cool. I figured it was something like double that. Thanks

Got a copy of Iron Man #1 (1968, I'm not retarded) that's in pretty good shape.
Not even close to his first appearance, but not bad at all.
Also had first appearance of Vision and Animal Man, plus the Green Lantern issue where Green Arrow comes in and it gets all political.
Same box had Atom #1 but it literally fell apart coming out of the box.
Best garage sale ever.

Invincible Iron Man 1 is definitely a good book, you should post an image, I could give you a decent grade estimate. That is an awesome garage sale find.

Thanks man, but my old-as-fuck phone takes really blurry pictures.
No tears, though. Four or five nicks. No writing, nothing cut out. The spine isn't even rolled. There's what I think are a few scuffs on the front?
The pages are really yellowed.

For all the use a description is.

You really never know what #1 issue is going to heat up these days.

The yellow pages is going to drop it hard unfortunately, depending on the size of the spine ticks and how many of them are color breaking my guess is anywhere between a 6.5-7.5, which is still worth grading, that's still a book worth a few hundred.
I haven't gotten anything that good from a garage sale, but I bought a low grade, maybe 2.5 copy of Giant Size X-men 1 for 50, which is still worth 300 in that condition.

Neat. Thanks, user.
>I bought a low grade, maybe 2.5 copy of Giant Size X-men 1 for 50
Oh you lucky SOB. I love Bronze Age X-Men. The height of cape comics.

Yep Claremont is the height of X-Men for sure.