ITT weird Sup Forums toys

Why dors doomsday look like he just got a shitton of chettos dust dumped on him?

huh, that is weird. he looks dead on perfect otherwise. and it's not just a variant because it says right there on the package just doomsday, not "Volcanic Doomsday" or "2012 Prophecy Adobe Doomsday" or anything

Well, it is a recolor of an older figure. But by the time this one was on the market the standard doomsday was long discontinued.

also-
29.95 for an action figure? GOOD LORD that's a lotta money. Howbout I give you a buck and a quarter and you bend me some pipe cleaners

>Alright, we need money and we've exhausted all the things we own the rights to. Who's got ideas?
>Um, well, the Dam company has let their copyright on troll dolls lapse. Technically anyone can make toys of those right now
>Dammit you lummox, if anyone can, how does that help us?
>W-well I was thinking, um, we don't have boys playing with troll dolls, so...
>That's brilliant! We'll turn them into action figures!
>Oh i was.. I was just going to suggest maybe making them cool or something, like more like Monster in my Pocket maybe
>Nonsense, we'll go full ninja turtles with this! Mutated trolls. No, humans mutated INTO trolls! Yeah, that's it. They get gems in their stomachs that give them powers, and mutate their faces into the butt-ugly visages of those creepy little naked plastic babies. It'll sell MILLIONS!
>Sir are you sure-
>One of them will be a karate guy, one will rollerblade (boys love rollerblades), one'll be an army guy, one'll be a superhero.. it'll be like the village people! kids love those guys, right?
>I don't think-
>Why not go all the way, make them a musical group too! They fight crime and play in a band, AND they have brushable nylon hair! I want designs on my desk by monday!

I don't understand the appeal of collecting action figures. Statues look cool & you can use them as decoration, but action figures? What's the appeal in just keeping them in the box?

Autism.

oh fuck me in the ass, actually that 'better' idea already existed
and i mean, it was better, but jesus
were these things ever actually popular? can you really call a product popular if it's tiny and costs so little? maybe a lot of little girls had a bunch of tiny dolls but they can't have made much money

wait what? it's statues that make no sense. they don't do anything.
>keeping them in the box
OH, I see what you mean. Yeah fuck that. You need to PLAY with the damn things. That's part of the fun of collecting them. Then every so often you can go look at them again, play with 'em a little, remind yourself how they work. Keep yourself occupied in the shitter for a few minutes while you suffer from your adult digestive system (i shat like once a fucking week as a kid. granted it took forever to unload it all)

>keeping them in a box
Are you retarded

>"Count Trollula"
>Clearly supposed to be "Bat Troll", but they were cease and desisted.

If its from your childhood, the box is cool. Sometimes the box interior decoration looks so good, it actually looks better inside it.

Otherwise? Fuck if I know.

>it's statues that make no sense. they don't do anything.
What exactly do you want action figures to do? Be waterproof so you can play with them in the bathtub?

Statues are art. Action figures are toys. Simple as that.

>What's the appeal in just keeping them in the box?

... You don't. You take them out of the box and use them for dioramas you can adjust on the fly.

And sometimes, in the dark of night with the blinds shut, you play with them.

I dont get it either
i take them out and play with them

oh god it actually has BT on it.
reminds me of 'mystery of the batwomen' where they had to add extra lines implying they were vampires

>implying toys arent art
Nice meme my smug african friend

I so wish that i had kept a snippet of each action figure box from everything I ever bought, and put them into a scrapbook. I'm gonna have my kids do that
so why not just have a picture then? I have pictures of shit i like. statues never look very good.

i really hope I'm not the only one that gets this reference

Judging by the price tag itself it seems to be from a collectors store. They over charge on everything.

Well, it had a cartoon, a mediocre beat-em-up and two different toy series (the original and a sports-themed one), so i guess it had SOME popularity.

Although its probably not that much.

Ha ha, oh shit! I was just thinking about these the other day. I actually had Trollminator and Punk Troll for Christmas when I was a kid.

That's nothing. If you squint closely, you can see that Super Troll originally had an S-shield molded on his chest.

I dont get it, plz explain

They do sometimes do variants without changing the packaging, mostly because it's cheaper

sure, but by THAT much? is it like 10 inches tall?

Don't worry, I got it. Some of Chris Rock's best work.

AHAHAHAHhhhhhhhhhhhh oh shit i really was a stupid child, i had like 3 of those fucking things. kek

huh, they got away with super troll...

there's a certain irony to how the frankenstein one actually looks LESS grotesque than the others because he has a more human-jawed face instead of big bulbous cheeks designed by a danish poorfag who couldn't buy his kids presents

it's an old.... SNL? sketch. Chris Rock plays an incredibly cheap guy who hears what things cost, declares GOOD LAWD that'salottamoney, then offers the speaker a buck and a quarter to do something lesser

Its not uncommon in my experience to find stuff still available at mass retail, asking an extra 10 bucks over MSRP.
They'll gouge twice as deep for anything imported.

My favorite one is ©1993 Hasbro International Inc. All rights reserved.

He looks like a true badass.

the nice ones are a combination of action figure and statue, like Hot Toys and 3A for example, theyre statues you can change the pose of when you feel like, even the more high quality small scale type are fun to set up in a small scenario on a bookshelf and change it every so often when youre cleaning and such.... wal-mart level toy collecting? no I don't really understand that, other than Lego and Marvel Legends figs i guess.

>instead of big bulbous cheeks designed by a danish poorfag who couldn't buy his kids presents
Oh geez, that made me kek

I have definitely lost my taste for kiddier low-gradey toys over the years. But I swear they used to be of higher quality.
I mean, SOME of them. Playmates hasn't changed a bit, and that's not a good thing, but y'know it's kept the price down. but I feel like the shit Kenner used to put out was downright admirable. Their toy catalogues were a joy. remember? the little foldout things, roughly bible tract size.. you'd get em in any nerf product or whatever and it covered their whole line
it's kind of a sweet story, it's just... christ they're horrible-looking.

I did say originally. That one got hit with the C&D too.

In Living Color, actually. But you got the rest.

I wanted to say in living color, but I thought... no way, that's too early for chris rock
shouldve stuck with my guns

or, y'know, looked it up

Mainstream Marvel Legends and Marvel Select figs run 25-30 bucks retail user, Star Wars black series as well, don't even look at Lego prices if this shocks you, you might possibly die.

Tbh i actually like them because theyre so freakish, but the way you just boiled down their origin was priceless.

weird, so he kept the NAME but changed his symbol, whereas bat-troll had to change the name but kept the BT symbol that only makes sense under the old name, but resembles the changed symbol for-
i am overanalyzing this
why does he have naruto boots

My motherfucking nigga, I had both of those battle trolls. Always sleeking the super trolls hair back and pumping up the army dudes... Hell those might be mine!

>so why not just have a picture then?
Because statues can be admired from all angles, you fuck.

i knew about lego..
are you serious? i read reviews once in a while, and I heard about marvel legends being 12-15, and THAT sounded stupidly high to me.

this makes me uncomfortable

>I have definitely lost my taste for kiddier low-gradey toys over the years. But I swear they used to be of higher quality.

They were, less detailed and stupidly executed stuff overall, but there was way more die-cast and metal parts in toys even in the early 90s, everything is cheaply designed plastic crap now with some few exceptions.

That being said I picked up all 4 tmnt from the more recent set of figs one day on impulse though because i used to have a shit ton of tmnt toys as a kid and it makes me smile to see them sitting legs hung over on my shelf when i walk by.

yeah the new TMNT themselves have decent figures at least. if only the same could be said of the rest of the line, or even this iteration of the franchise as a whole.
i actually halfway entertained the idea of buying the 2003 figures when they were new because I was so stoked at how good the show was. but the thing is, they didn't manage proper front-back hip swivels until the 2008 line, and then they reverted afterwards, so fuckit. that, the joint issues, the scale problems.. and now, paint apps have apparently become so expensive they can't bother making anyone on-model

They haven't been $15 in like 10 years.

>don't even look at Lego prices if this shocks you, you might possibly die.

I know I did. I ran across a kit of Poe Dameron's X-Wing for $67 at Walmart and I think I actually shouted GOOD LAWD when I saw it.

To be fair, it is basically a 1:2500 model made out of Legos, but damn.

>Their toy catalogues were a joy. remember? the little foldout things, roughly bible tract size.. you'd get em in any nerf product or whatever and it covered their whole line

Aw, man. You're bringing me back. I loved those things. There was something oddly exciting about keeping track of what I had and didn't have. Like there was a whole world of cool shit to discover.

I dont have enough space on my shelf so I keep new/expensive ones in the box for the time being

so? figures didnt increase in price that much between 88 and 98

Yeah, but they did between 98 and 08. The economy as a whole was doing better back then.

okay, oil prices have been known to increase the cost of plastic toys before, that's how GI Joes went from barbie scale to star wars scale, sure..
but oil prices have been down lately, so that's no excuse for 25 dollar marvel legends

Did anybody else have Muta Force Turtles growing up?

The prices aren't going to fall automatically because oil prices came down. They'll only come down once the toy companies can no longer get away with charging that much and people are no longer willing to pay the price.

god what a goofy concept. the cockpit is shaped like their head viewed from above, with a transparent cranium, and then limbs attached to that.. with the actual-arms poking out the sides to get the controls

Then I had this, and it's possibly even stupider

>various pop culture themed trolls
>and then Nunchuk Troll
Why were nunchucks such a big fucking deal back then holy shit

but they're constantly saying their sales are shit and they cant justify doing X or Y that fans want them to

so just lower your fucking prices, asslords. RAISING them by 10 dollars since 2006 makes no sense.
also those reviews i'm reading describing a lower price aren't that old. they're just a few years old. and even that is already too much.

why were TROLLS such a big deal?

Ninjas and martial arts in general were really big in the 80's. One of the ninja turtles having nunchuks basically extended their 15 minutes of fame.

and infamy. remember they were banned in the 90s after being okay in the 80s, which was basically the beginning of the shit we're still suffering from now

becasue literally any dumb kid could make their own, and most of them did.

Outside the US maybe. Sure as hell wasn't the case here.

it was though. mikey's nunchaku disappeared from the show after about the 4th season, and from the opening sequence shortly after
schools had people come in to talk to kids about the dangers of nunchaku. that seriously happened to me in 1992. i got in trouble for knowing what they were already, and answering when the guy asked

In the UK, you mean. They weren't banned in the US.

>mikey's nunchaku disappeared from the show after about the 4th season, and from the opening sequence shortly after
That was done for cost reasons rather than legal issues. They were banned from the UK and other countries so they would have to actually erase them from episodes, so Mikey looked like he was basically awkwardly swinging his fists all the time in the absence of actual weapons. Later on it got to the point where it was just easier to give him the grappling hook and not have to edit the nunchucks out internationally.

Why would you get in trouble for knowing what something was?

why would an american company care if the UK has to spend extra money censoring shit? did they get paid for that? did other countries actually say "We won't buy / won't pay you as much for licensing if you don't make this easier for us" ?

It was probably more for answering the question. For some reason when I was a kid in the 90s, 3 times out of 5 if someone asked a question, you weren't meant to immediately answer. I did it anyway. It's the right way to communicate. Eventually people changed and now they agree with me.

Had the orange haired dude in the skates as a kid.

Because said company is the one spending money to do the edits in order to make them suitable for broadcast.

>Nonsense, we'll go full ninja turtles with this! Mutated trolls. No, humans mutated INTO trolls! Yeah, that's it. They get gems in their stomachs that give them powers, and mutate their faces into the butt-ugly visages of those creepy little naked plastic babies. It'll sell MILLIONS!

Truly, nothing really changes.

Anytime a characther had a retarded costume with ridiculous accessories. Like those Batman or Ninja Turtle toys in the 90s.

since the fuck when? an american company is an american company. if shit airs somewhere else, someone else licenses it, pays them, and does what they're allowed to do to it.

those were actually pretty cool compared to the more infamous examples..
I miss when people actually cared about cool proportions and aesthetics. nowadays those bat-men would have gigantic hands and feet and a big goofy buzz lightyear grin, complete with big round blue eyes

Did that line get its own Mr Freeze?

I didn't ... but I do still have my old Exo-Squad figs which i think those were probably based on.

I'm missing alot of the projectiles though, which sucks.

remember when projectiles could be spring-loaded instead of 'you just poke it from the other end and hope momentum keeps it going a bit'

I grew up in the early-mid 90's and i honestly don't know. I even had Troll dolls and i still didn't know why.

This was pre internet times, if a thing, was a thing? It was a thing.

>nowadays those bat-men would have gigantic hands and feet and a big goofy buzz lightyear grin, complete with big round blue eyes

and perhaps, perhaps..... some elbow and knee articulation ffs....

Yeah one of the exo squad mechs has 5 missles in a barrel gun and you twist the knob at the back to rapid fire them, shits sweet.

I only have two of the missles though, i should see if i can ebay all the bits I'm missing

>Exo squad

I never watched the show but for some reason my parent brought me some of the toys as a kid.

I had that, I always used to pretend the Venom symbiote took over a hulkbuster

ah. I do seem to recall I was kinda unusual for thinking for myself

I think something-like-that was its story
i miss when toys had stories. and when they sold shit based on the comics, with a proper description on the back of what happened. Like, I didn't know who the white queen was or what the hellfire club was, because you sure couldn't say that on tv, but I did think that the version of iceman posessed by her was a fucking awesome toy. before the internet, toy packaging was how I learned about what was going on in comics.

I also had this fucker, which is apparently the symbiote gone berserk and trying to make its own body on its own without eddie

y'know i keep speaking in the past tense, but I do have these in a box

It really bothers me how the guy on the right is just a bit slower than the other two.

It looks like the symbiote bonded with a xenomorph

But does anyone here collect the more mid-range stuff? Like mezco, figma, figuarts or anything around that price range.

ha, it kinda does
though actually it has these big rabbit ears.. well more like Arthur antennae
i only collect zoids, and since those stopped being a thing, I only collect transformers.. and since those went the babby one-step route, undoing 30 years of engineering progress, I just collect nothing.

Just buy masterpiece transformers, mate.

indeed, i've kept my eye on the uh.. Generations line, i think? ever since they put out those absolutely goddamn perfect rhinox, rattrap, and waspinator remakes.
but they're currently in the middle of just vehicle shit, and very little of it is tempting beyond a jet here or there, so for now my nonexistent money is remaining in the theoretical pocket

Well, they're making Optimus Primal for the masterpiece line if that interests you.

interest achieved. any prototype pictures?

oh my ever-loving garry chalk. that looks... fucking amazing.
though just to nitpick, I mean, his gorilla neck is weird and the head's too small. seems like that would actually have been harder to do, since it becomes the chest piece, which also looks too small

still gonna get it if this isnt one of those inexplicably massively overpriced things. I mean I justified the mild expense of leader-class starscream and that feels totally worth it.

holy shit while trying to look it up, I found this
is.. is this even possible? this design started out insane, making no sense, intentionally looking like a goddamn mutated tiger creature.. i want this so fucking much

Oh fuck, I had the Michelangelo one and completely forgot about it until just now. That shit was the bomb.

aaand i just looked up the predicted prices.
fuck me.

>obligatory "dicks out for harambe" post

The Beast Wars stuff were mostly shelfwarmers when they came out awhile back, which made Hasbro take a step back and not add any more to the Generations line for the time being. Have to depend on Takara for BW stuff for now.

Beast Wars is old enough to the point a large amount of kids have no idea what it was, and to those who aren't nostalgic for the series the Rhinox and Rattrap toys looked goofy compared to all the other stuff in the line.
The Sky Byte toy shelf warmed as well.

lies. complete and utter lies.

Holy shit. They finally caught up to the BW era? This is incredible. I think I'm gonna faint.