quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=4j-Lz0D5_ck
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
laserwing.tumblr.com/
barukurii.deviantart.com/art/Step-by-Step-Making-a-Fake-VHS-Screenshot-322804759
angelfirehime.tumblr.com/
bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/150189995455/
discord.gg/PWqXB
phantombiird.tumblr.com/post/149711034204/gkf-chapter-1
monster-lands.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=uSVU7VGVimY
youtube.com/watch?v=mi4iLxzB5fc
youtube.com/watch?v=_qZAMV2uLKA
youtube.com/watch?v=TjP88HbQ1R4
youtu.be/a_Xzp0CmMAo
youtu.be/aYWc2RF-204
youtu.be/3sr4z9s9ROE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme:tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site:pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV (embed)

>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=4j-Lz0D5_ck

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

hmm. correct numbering. correct cleese link. adequately identifying us as faggots. and good timing. thanks, person.

Today I'm finally ridding poor Gyomudo of his hard to draw extra spikes and veins and shit, and getting him back to a healthy NON-overcooked color. He'll be easier to draw now.

This thread was gone when I wanted to post this last night!

I can't seem to settle on a good way to denote flashbacks. I usually just put some kind of color layer over a panel but I dunno how effective that's been? I don't want to use sepia tone unless it's appropriate for the time, which is never true for my story. Most flashbacks are going to be to the 80s, never far back enough for old timey film effects.

site here: laserwing.tumblr.com/

I got the gist of it from the fact that the word bubbles had no tails, like when I do flashbacks or imagination sequences.
These scenes already incidentally seem a bit cooler and purply-bluer than regular non-flashback life, maybe you should go with that. It's almost the opposite of sepia-tone, and it's very 80sy for everything to look all nice and indigo..
Alternatively you could hit the whole thing with a taped-on-VHS filter.. which might be a little extra work, but it's a smash. I used it this one time. based it on these instructions barukurii.deviantart.com/art/Step-by-Step-Making-a-Fake-VHS-Screenshot-322804759

It might take some doing to translate that into GIMP functions but it looks doable, thanks!

dunno if you have an account but there's a comment at the bottom of that page from one "EggNogtheEgghead" who was going to try doing it in GIMP. might be worth dropping them a line

Anxously waiting for that superhero comic to get posted and that user to pick it apart

I want me some drama dammit

Ill make popcorn for everyone

How's your own webcomic, user?

How's yours, you hypocritical fuck?

Post that shit all day without backing it up yourself.

Shut the fuck up bitch

if i post my comic do you promise not to laugh/insult?

Yesterday's update! What do you guys think?

Hell yeah! Gettin me some popcorn

Hi! I was writing a scene for my supernatural detective comic today, and wasn't sure if the following piece of dialogue was grammatically correct or even understandable.

>William Walker: You read my case report?
>Carmen Pennyoga: You mean that blatant blackmail attempt to expose me? ---> I did, and I sure as hell won't be sending it nowhere further than in the cold case limbo for the rest of eternity.

angelfirehime.tumblr.com/
I just finished transcribing another chapter of some awful weeb shit I wrote when I was in high school. If cringe w/ commentary interests you I've got it.

Every year so far, I draw this generic guy from the Prologue to gauge my improvement. This is the results for this year.

bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/150189995455/

I've been awfully slow for the past while. I'm quite sorry about that.

Hopefully I'm close to going somewhere now.

Not sure where.

Composition's a bit dull, but it's a simple, effective page. Everything's on point, the page accomplishes what it sets out to do. Good job.

Why you gotta be like this, shitpost-kun?

It's an improvement.
Still got a ways to go, though

I think you might be too stuck on what you've already drawn.

The next time you try it, focus on constructing the model first. Make the underlying figure; understand how it looks as a three-dimensional figure. Then you can work on things like his clothing.

>no moth ass
0/10

There are certain people who come to the hallowed halls of /hyw/ solely to stir up drama because it's the only joy they can find in their monotonous, pathetic lives. Petty human things.

These threads were a mistake. Let this be the last.

Can I have a discord invite from the discord fairy?

As long as the guy saying 'wont' be sending it nowhere' is meant to be a gangster or other bad grammar user who uses double negatives, yeah.
'blackmail attempt to expose me' is kind of a double use of attempt. You've made it kinda the elbow of that sentence's arm. That's weird, but it's not exactly wrong

You're getting there, by and by. Finally he has a little forehead room. Not a lot, but it's definitely getting there.
did whatsername lady become a futurelady?

Thanks!

Well, the purpose of the exercise is to re-draw the same exact picture so it's more of a stark contrast at how different it is, I usually draw the full figure, but I admit I did kind of get lazy with the torso in this case, so thanks for the advice.

The whole forehead thing is definitely something I've been working on, it's easy enough on certain characters, but I find it difficult to draw a properly proportioned head on a more masculine figure that feels satisfying.

You should use more anti-aliasing, honestly. All of your lines are really subtly jagged.

and rightly so, the relationship between foreheads, crania, and masculinity is very touchy. it's good you have an eye for it, it'll serve you well as you improve

How do people feel about mini-webcomics, like short stories in the form of comics or webcomics?

As long as they're interesting, I always love comics like that.
Definitely go for it, I'd love to see someone in here making one-shots.

>What do you guys think?

Go be a hug-boxing idiot somewhere else, they asked for a critique or at the very least what we thought about it and where things could "potentially" be improved, stop ass patting everyone, or making fun of people for actually saying something somewhat constructive rather than just going, lel, all looks good bra' just keep doing you.

I have a lot of ideas already written out for some interesting really short mini-comics, my main one is such a beast of a thing that I am getting overwhelmed by it a little atm.

I'd like to see more of those, actually. Might be harder do built an audience with though, if that's something you care about.

discord.gg/PWqXB
Don't forget to introduce yourself and post some example of your art/writing.

>I can't read.
It's in response to the "Why you gotta be like that" directed at
They're saying that's a shitpost. Because it is.

No, you misunderstand. I'm not saying to stop redrawing it, I'm saying that your improvement is lacking substance because you're too focused on emulating the original. You should be trying to improve your fundamental skills so you can redraw the pose and character instead of tightening the surface level details on a bad sketch. Get a grip on anatomy and recreate this pose with that knowledge instead of tightening your lines and coloring.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the input.

buhump

So long story short, I'm writefag that wrote the script for the first chapter of a comic if someone could read it and give some insight in where I should improve, thanks
phantombiird.tumblr.com/post/149711034204/gkf-chapter-1

I have a legal question. If you were to pay for your own domain for your comic, does the website copyright your ideas and art?

No.

Fuck. Well is there a guide or sticky to doing this?

I am not a Lawyer, so the usual caveat applies:

Copyright law is complicated and varies by country, but in general (as I understand it), when you publish something, whether in print or on a website, you gain the copyright to it.

If you own the website, all well and good, but if you're publishing it on someone else's website they may have their own terms and conditions regarding copyright and creators rights.

So to your knowledge, if I were to buy a domain from GoDaddy would that work?

Having your own site help, but it's not necessary.

I don't know from what country you are, but most country National Library let you register your creations, which is basically a copyright

But I'm no expert

Alright I have some research to do, thanks for the help user

You're welcome, I hope I helped

Bump

we see a lot of these
yknow what i think? it's hard, it's a lot of mental energy, to picture a script as a comic. People who "can't draw" should just draw stick figure placeholders. copy and paste them if you need to. type out the word bubbles. then show us your comic outline

don't ever work with godaddy. just.. don't
the worst any site ever does is reserve the right to republish your shit to advertise them. To use a clip of your shit in their ad saying "come use our hosting site, look, we have this guy! and this guy!" that's standard promotional boilerplate with any industry, it's just in art they phrase it badly

Who have you had a good experience with then if GoDaddy is a no go?

monster-lands.com/

Eren's monster gets riled up, and then things start to take a different turn in this Monster Lands update.

i hear good things about amazon hosting

little asshole. biting the hand that created you. good luck moving around with the limbs she didnt bother providing

Really? I don't know user... Seem kinda complicated, I tried to write in the slimpliest way possible so anyone can undertand whats going on. The sript in itself was to be read by the artis that was gonna draw it, bet I don't know any.

Well anyway I will keep what've in mind, and maybe try it out.

snowbump

bumpudding

progress on the first page of my comic. should be done tomorrow, hopefully. postan on the site on friday

awesome. make sure to post it here too

Still looks good, but the rough lineart on the hair especially is a little off putting. I think your art might look nice with clean, smooth lineart, since your sketches already look so neat.
Are planning to color it, or are you just going to leave it black and white?

yeah i assume that part hasnt been inked yet

Are there any good sources/methods for picking up on some quick, simple phrases in other languages and/or guides on how to portray accents via text?

I want to spice up my cast with foreign accents but don't want it to come off as stupid and cliche, and I don't really have a means of surrounding myself with actual foreign accents and languages to learn from experience.

>I don't really have a means of surrounding myself with actual foreign accents and languages to learn from experience.
you have the internet. Look up videos of those people talking, try to transliterate it. you'll pick it up quickly.

that said, if a quick cheater's guide to that exists, i'd love to have it. save some fuckin time.

bump

will do!

Yeah, it looks rough but hopefully when I flesh it out it'll come together. I'd love to ink smoother but with my sloppy pencils I don't think it's possible.

I'm going to leave it black and white for sure. I can't color for shit, haha

Final page of chapter three yeahhhh

aay, that's badass

youtube.com/watch?v=uSVU7VGVimY

>all these desperate attempts to save a dead thread
/hyw/ is finished. Let it rest in peace.

You just bumped the thread too

is that traditional?
I can't imagine how long of a process watercoloring a comic must be

Is it common to be content with your work on paper and then being disappointed with it once you have scanned it?
made me double look as I was just listening to this

No I didn't.

I'm not bumping it now, either.

/hyw/ has reached the end of its lifespan. The humane thing to do is remove life support and let go, forever.

Cheers, user!

Finally managed to get the WIP videos up (apologies for the music):
youtube.com/watch?v=mi4iLxzB5fc
youtube.com/watch?v=_qZAMV2uLKA
youtube.com/watch?v=TjP88HbQ1R4

So why can't you let go? Why do you feel the need to let everyone know that you feel that the threads must end? Why are you making this about (You), and not /hyw/?

You could care less, but you don't. You care just enough to keep watching, and make posts that draw attention to yourself. You care about /hyw/, and don't actually want to see it end.

Work In Progress - one page, roughs.

Drawn last Friday, before heading off to ICE/Comics Uncovered, a one day comics focused comic con, followed by a day of talks, seminars and portfolio reviews by and for people wanting to work in the comics industry. I was able to get a portfolio review of some of my strips by Dark Horse editor Carl Potts, which was very useful. Worth a shot if you're UK based, though to me it does seem weighted towards the Realistic Action/Adventure end of the comics spectrum.

Just fuck off already, tryhard.

actually pretty hilarious~

still better than most of the spam we get
my goddamn sides. I love that she's screeching out whatever the hell accent that is and it still works.

>still better than most of the spam we get

In what way?

go read old threads

I'm familiar with old spam.

I'm asking what retarded reason you think it's better, except that you're the one doing it this time.

i'm just the guy trying to get you to shut up and stop giving it attention
because this is by far weaker than the shit we've been hit with, so if you starve THIS fucker, we'll be done with it entirely

>whatever the hell accent that is

I've decided Fili sounds Northern British, somewhere in the vicinity of Mel B or Sara Cox. Knowing this means she's more likely to use certain turns of phrase when it comes to writing dialogue.
youtu.be/a_Xzp0CmMAo
youtu.be/aYWc2RF-204

Noli is a neutral Mid-Atlantic.
youtu.be/3sr4z9s9ROE

To open it up for general discussion, has anyone else decided what their characters sound like? Or do you prefer to leave it entirely up to the reader's imagination?

why is jimmy kimmel sporting a gorby?

Somehow in my head they were just both very neutral lazy american sounding.. like Simpsony. funny how heads work. now if I try to imagine them talking like this, I get a very 'girl pinky and the brain' feel. Whiiich is even better

Storytime!

>once we're safe, how will you know?
story of my fucking life

I'm going to 'milk' this character for those views

mmm, gotta love the bouncin' of those two big wonderful round eyes

yea man i noticed those eyes a bit too late.

I'd like to draw and write a story about a kid/young man who's part of an exploration team tasked with traveling and charting the world. The main inspiration would be Tintin, where in every location (mostly episodic), the cub photographer and book collector ends up in an adventure where he risks life and limb to get good photographs and collect rare books for the library he works for.

May or may not have an animal sidekick. Not intended to be kid friendly, will have action violence at times, but will definitely go for the charm of youth adventurer.

Any writing tips on making such a comic? Thanks in advance.

just riding your shanks, I'm incredibly impressed by anyone who can do animation

completely awesome.
would it be the boring real world, or something better, so the audience can discover the new places each time? I'd love it if you went full fantasy, and he kept photographing strange new undiscovered creatures. but even if you didn't, I'd still appreciate a sorta ducktales level of amazing unknown discovery

or maybe i'm just projecting the kind of comic i'd love to make, where the story doesn't matter as much and you just do a fun travelogue
only in my version it's drawing instead of photography

bimp

How's the practicing going fellow kids.

Hope you guys are practicing while doing your pages.