The Matrix trilogy

Why do people shit on the sequels so hard? The last one was the weakest and it showed, but it was still decent and Reloaded was quite fun and good, I'd say it's on par with the original, although it's probably a bit weaker. Also, for the record, the first one wasn't even that great, I mean it was good, but nothing extraordinary and hardly a 10/10 material people made it out to be.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=geuWYhCiFos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because its anti escapism
>both redpill and bluepill keep you inside the matrix

In retrospect the first movie has a lot of the same gobbledygook as the sequels, but it was done about a thousand times more competent & functional on a basic storytelling level than Reloaded and Revolutions. That applies to plot, character, tone, action, exposition, everything.

The hype for the movie killed itself. People were acting like it was the greatest thing ever created and sequels couldn't live up to such high expectations.

muh standalone argument. even though neo basically becoming god at the end of the first movie solves none of the problems happening outside of the matrix.

the second movie is great, after the first 40 minutes. the third movie is honestly boring ass shit though.

At the end of 3, how did the real world become nice again? Didn't the machines scorch the sky? How could destroying a computer program (the matrix) cause changes to the world outside of it? Surely it would make more sense to destroy the machines and then be like "shit I suppose we better start rebuilding the earth"

Why did they need to get to the phones to get out of the matrix?

definitely the prime example of it

Neo was a deus ex machina by the end, because they probably couldn't make a solid explanation for it, but the sequels still have their moments, especially the second one, even though it's a bit more over the top and the crappy CGI is eye striking there, but it nicely blends action with philosophical questions the first one was jerked all over for.

the second one is mostly on par with the first one, crappy CGI outside.

when 1 came out it was well well ahead of it's time and still holds up today
I'd say that makes it amazing

Thats the reset matrix not "zion/there is no spoon land"

the phones aren't phones

that's the Matrix, not Zion

how was it ahead of it's time?

The second film is my favorite. It came along at a very crucial point in my life and the film's exploration of philosophies helped me immensely when I was going through rough times. Neo's second visit with the oracle in particular and even Smith's monologue before the burly brawl are stamped in my mind forever. The third film less so, but still philosophically interesting, though the second half chokes pretty much. As for the first film it didn't do much for me, the whole red pill-blue pill thing does not resonate with me as it does for others. Sorry, but that just how it is for me.

>the phones aren't phones
what are they then? Interfaces? Who decided to choose phones? If it was the agents why didn't they just make 1 to make it more difficult for unplugged people to get back out? If it's the people making them why not make loads of them so it's easier to get away when shit goes wrong?
>that's the Matrix, not Zion
I thought the machines destroyed themselves? How are they still running? Were the people unplugged? If so, where are the machiens getting energy from to continue running the matrix?

because the action wasn't nearly as good and the stuff in between the action was retarded

redpill/bluepill is a metaphor for wanting to be special, neo stops questioning reality when presented with a "reality" helping the matrix resent itself like it has done a whole bunch of times already

>Why do people shit on the sequels so hard?

Because they are fucking awful. They are dogshit.

First one still holds up and is still good even today, but it was lightning in a bottle. Everyone involved were hacks who have made nothing but terrible garbage ever since. M1 was like their fluke where they fell over and dropped the cans of paint they were holding like usual but the paint splashed on the wall and by some incredible fluke made a masterpiece. And everyone thought they were geniuses for a while, but after every movie they made since it just became apparent they got lucky and it was just an incredible fluke.

there is no machines/zion, its another matrix failsafe

Such a memorable and powerful scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=geuWYhCiFos

>The first Matrix is so old that it heavily features pay phones and there's a dial-up tone when Neo gets unplugged from the matrix

They can't rewrite the Matrix, if I'm not mistaken even Neo couldn't do it, the only one capable of it was Mr. Smith and/or The Architect.

The action in the second one was good, especially the chase scene at the end, but crappy CGI ruined some of it, but why was the in between stuff retarded?

I prefer the first one, but Reloaded was neat and Monica Bellucci's character, as well as french man's, were interesting and I liked them, one of my favorite things about it, also enjoyed the over the topness of it, although CGI was really shitty in it, it still didn't bother me that much and I consider it to be of equal quality as the first one and never understood the hate on it. My biggest grip with it is Neo stopping the machines out side of the Matrix at the end and some of the new characters being just okay, nothing special, but yeah, it's focus on causality was a welcome change.

The one later on where Trinity is fed up with everything is one of my favorite scenes in the trilogy.

>Why do people shit on the sequels so hard?
I know. The entire trilogy is equally garbage.

90% of the dialogue is delivered in monotone

Matrix was a solid action blockbuster with some simple philosophical questions after years of mindless blockbusters trying to be Independence Day or Terminator. It was kind of a perfect combination for a beloved blockbuster which of course makes it go down later as some great thing.

Jaws saw similar success for the same reason and Jaws is alright at best but the impact it had at the time carried it into classic territory

>Jaws is alright at best

definitely seems like that's the case, as was with Inception, although it's a bit worse.

>Jaws is alright at best

you share a board with these """"people""""

the real filth lies dormant in /lbx/ generals, those are the real vermin shitting up this board.

i like reloaded
the highway sequence is incredible, as is the atrium melee weapons fight. 15 year old me thought the smiths fight was great, but that cgi is pretty terrible, even by the standards at the time..

revolutions was dogshit. the battle for zion was a cg jerkfest.

>be machine
>enslave humanity
>create unstoppable killbot squiddies that can act independently and effortlessly murder hundreds of people
>create batlle pla....PROCESSOR ERROR NOW ALL KILLBOTS ACT LIKE PREY FISH
>get rekt by one dude in a mech suit

>Jaws is alright at best

I have to breathe the same air as this person.

This is the only scene I remember in the 3rd movie which means the entire movie is actually that bad. Unfortunately in this scene no one can seem to hit anything and it looks slow and drawn out.

I recently rewtached the Matrix sequels and while they aren't as neat at the first movie, they're definitely worthy sequels to it. At the time I don't think I liked them as much because I thought I "got" what the first one was about but the direction it ended up going was way different than what I expected.

I love Merovingian, though. The line
>But if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?
really stuck with me on this viewing. the philosophical explorations in this trilogy are by far the most gripping part of the whole thing for me, much more so than the action or effects. I kind of hope they don't reboot it like rumors seem to predict unless the Wachowskis are running the show and keep the philosophical themes

>Jaws is alright at best

jesus fucking christ. being a cultural phenomenon doesn't necessarily make a movie great, but that shit caused a downturn in beach tourism for decades. it led to shark week. anyone who swims has hummed the theme at least once.

this was a hacker type movie
hackers used phones in the 80's and 90's
aka 2600 magazine
if you were around then maybe you wouldnt be so fucking stupid

Have you ever seen the picture of "Mr. Anderson's" passport with the 9/11 date on it?

>You have no idea how deep this rabbit hole goes.

The other thing it had going for it was that it was different than most movies being produced...and was origional, and not a remake of an earlier movie/TV show/cartoon...

That's a nice analogy. But this one is better. The 2nd and 3rd fell because they tripped over heroine and fell into a vat of schizophrenia and razorblade covered dildos.