Redoing Avatar Better: For Shits and Giggles

After rewatching the original and seeing some critique of Korra, I thought I'd approach some thoughts on how'd you do the sequel

>Instead of early 20th Century, let's take a step back. Avatar was pretty ancient in terms of tech, but we can look at how industrialism changes a world with greater focus.
>The White Lotus never seemed to be a permanent, standing organization or at least not in the open. Instead, it's continued to be left up to the individual Nation, this time being the water nation to take care of the Avatar.
>Korra is especially gifted, learning Waterbending at age 10(Aang was considered a prodigy learning airbending at 12). She's good at Earth-bending, but struggles with Fire and cannot even use Airbending.
>Tenzin has been arguing with the powerful, industrialized Earth Nation over the former Air Nation Temples which have been appropriated by the Earth Nation. Even those near the Fire Nation are their property, using them as bases to watch over the Fire Nation who's been heavily managed in the 80 years since the last war.
>Korra wants to fix the issue of Water Tribe members going to Earth Nation cities to take part in the wealth there. the Water Tribe is still living how they did in A:TLA and that's slightly embarrassing to the younger generation
>Tenzin shows up, without his family this time to teach her airbending. Korra agrees, going to Balance City, an entirely new City created by a mixture of immigrants and factories. Korra tries to get airbending, but just can't, and feels like a failure. This is made worse when she completely fails to appeal to the Water Tribe members to go back home.
>Enter pro-bending!
>Pro-bending is a way for Korra to appeal to the people as a celebrity. She joins up with Mako and Bolin, the only team so desperate they take on a complete rookie in the mid season.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bwv_2OKxZr8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Pro-bending is a way for Korra to appeal to the people as a celebrity. She joins up with Mako and Bolin, the only team so desperate they take on a complete rookie in the mid season.
>Korra becomes friends with the brothers, and learns of their plight of always losing money to jacked up rent prices. They're a mixed heritage family and would gladly go live with their family in the Fire Nation, but straight up can't leave.
>Korra does some digging into the issue, finding Asami Sato, an industrialist's daughter who is ashamed of the conditions her father's workers have to live in. Together the two find out that the rent scam is all over the city, keeping the populace in perpetual debt.
>Korra decides to tackle on the organized Bender crime, the Triple Threat Triad which is responsible. This has her run into Amon who's doing the same thing. He attempts to appeal to Korra on the basis that she should think about Nonbenders for a change. Korra argues she is, and Amon immediately smacks her down for only caring about her homeland's people. Korra gets angry, attacks him, and Amon beats her down with help. He then decides to show her what he can do, taking away a person's bending in front of her.
>This sends Korra into a shock that takes Asami, Bolin and Mako going on a sabbatical to help her figure things out. She decides to really focus with Tenzin how to Airbend now that she's willing to see beyond her physical self and commune with her spiritual self.
>Amon's Equalist movement starts to build a national growth. Amon decides he'll make Balance City his first target, gathering up plenty of muskets and training an army in secret. Bolin is warned by a friend because 'he's one of the good ones' what is going to happen. Mako and Bolin warn Korra, who decides that despite her fears she needs to defend the City.

>The battle for the city begins shortly after. Korra and the gang fight hard, but can't manage to hold them back. Amon captures them all, and decides to take the Avatar's bending if she won't be an ally. This completely severs her ties to the Avatar's, and isn't just chi-blocking. It's Energy-Bending.
>Then General Iroh arrives with the Fire Nation's secret fleet, sent in at the request of the Earth Empress. Fire benders manage to do well, but Korra has to stop the wholesale destruction of Equalists, letting them surrender.
>Amon reveals himself to Korra many days later, leading into a fight, but he manages to calm her down and then thanks her for standing up for his people and warns her against trusting the current Fire Lord and Earth Empress, and even her own family.
>Korra later talks about this with Asami, feeling ashamed that she thought about begging Amon for her bending back. Asami comforts her by saying that Korra is still in shock, and it's not all that awful she'd want her bending back because she obviously has a sense of responsibility when it comes to being the Avatar.
>Tenzin invites Korra to live with his family while they both dig into the nature of Energy-bending to reverse this, as he thinks its possible.

Book 2
>Story starts with a focus on Amon, reflecting on his childhood growing up with an abusive Waterbending dad in the South Pole. Story breaks to Amon being introduced to a revolutionary new invention. The printing press.
>Equalist papers circulate everywhere. Korra is still trying to figure out the secrets of it all.

>Asami, Mako, and Bolin show up to Tenzin's place to tell her an Uncle is offering to take her in, knowing the secrets to Energy-bending. Tenzin is concerned, but agrees. Away they go on the sky bison.
>Unalaq rules the South Pole, while Korra comes from the North Pole. Unalaq explains that humans have lost their connection to their own innate energy, and to the spirits around them. Like the Fire-benders learning from dragons, Water-benders studying the moon, and so on, to learn Energy-bending someone has to be learnt from the spirits.
>Asami decides to work with Mako and Bolin while Korra studies from Unalaq about the spirits. Tenzin feels useless, unable to help, so he decides to see what he can do work against Amon's rising influence
>Team Avatar(Sans Avatar) meet up with a Water Tribe Industrialist using Earth Nation techniques to push the modern era on his people. Varrick's his name, and he puts his resources in them to research just who exactly Amon is by figuring out how he'd learn Energy-bending.
>Unalaq explains the past history with Tonraq, her father, how he chose love rather than leadership. Unalaq loves and respects his brother, but Korra admires him for his since of determination and duty
>Insert jokes with Unalaq's monotone daughter liking Bolin here
>Unalaq introduces Korra into his plans to keep the Water Tribe spiritual, by forcibly annexing the North and kicking out industrialists like Varrick. Korra refuses, disappointing Unalaq, but that's okay. His forces are already destroying Varrick's factories. The ones with Team Avatar working in them. Korra still doesn't have her bending, but uses her strength and skill to escape.

>Using his Sky Bison, Tenzin finds the Equalist training camp, but is forced to land due to them firing flak into the skies.
>Amon finds and captures Tenzin, but then sits him down for tea to discuss matters. Tenzin agrees with the Nonbender plight but not the methods. Amon disagrees, and says only through force can the future change. Then an extra comes to say that Unalaq is making his move. Amon then tells Tenzin everything he knows about Unalaq
>Meanwhile, Varrick, Bolin, Mako, and Asami meet up with Korra. Asami decides to give her theory based on the information they have that Amon had to have trained under Unalaq, and he presents the only way to learn Energy-bending.
>It's already too late in the South Pole, but with the help of Varrick the team escapes. The other Nations refuse to help the North Pole from Unalaq's army. Varrick does eccentric things with various plans that are ludicrous and could never work but it's funny.
>Korra arrives in the North Pole, going to the spirit pool where the Moon spirits are kept. Here she interfaces much like Aang into the spirit world, and learns that Unalaq has actually horribly turned it off balance. Iroh appears to Korra, and explains where to find the art of Energy-bending. This involves Korra going through several challenges. At the end of the episode, she finally discovers it
>Korra fixes herself up, but stumbles at first, and has to almost relearn everything. But she's able to commune with the previous Avatars, which helps a lot. Asami, Mako, and Bolin have been preparing for the upcoming battle, which sees a lot of the Water tribe industrialized with cannons and guns.

>Tenzin talks with Amon about the current crisis. Amon wants to help, but feels he can't assist a Bender-led Elder council of the Northern Water Tribe. Tenzin asks why he chose the name Equalists, if everyone was to be the same, to be equal, why choose Nonbenders over Benders every time. Amon threatens to take away Tenzin's Airbending, but Tenzin remains a hardliner about this. Amon divulges some of his philosophy, only wanting a way for the rights and freedom of Nonbenders to be protected. Tenzin then says the best foot forward is to oppose tyrants like Unalaq.
>Northern and Southern Tribes meet. Cannons on ships clash with spirits controlled by Energy-benders trained by Unalaq.
>Korra, with Waterbending mainly proves a massive advantage. She realizes the Spirits are being harmed and forced to fight. She duels Unalaq, calling him a hypocrite for manipulating nature to his whims. His people, obviously lied to, start turning on him. Unalaq shows his true colors and starts mass-controlling the spirits. A whirlwind of destruction erupts as Korra and Unalaq get into battle. Korra then begins to unlock Airbending and Energybending at the same time. She enters the Avatar state, and soundly beats Unalaq.
>Tenzin is let go by Amon, but the man still vows he will press on. As Amon retires, he remembers back to the flashback at the beginning. He runs away from home, but is dragged back by his father who punishes him severely. Amon snaps, and Energybends his life out of him. Unalaq appears immediately, impressed, and decides to train him. Moving forward in the flashback, Amon figures out Unalaq is even worse than his father, and flees - presumably to found the Equalists.

>Korra and the crew celebrate, but now Korra must learn the last element - fire. Tenzin arrives, explaining that something must have happened. With all the spiritual energy accumulated by the bound spirits, it seems there is an awakening - a rebalancing event. Airbenders are appearing all over the world. Now Korra has to choose between going to the Fire Nation to train, picking up the new Air Nation and helping them find a place in the world, or dealing with the amassing army of Amon's.
>While this is happening, a new threat appears. The old criminal Zaheer and we change literally nothing about him breaking out and freeing his compatriots as the opener for Book 3

Right, that's about as much self-autism as I can take. I literally came up with all of this being bored out of my mind in Western Civilization(And I love history normally).

>>Pro-bending is a way for Korra to appeal to the people as a celebrity. She joins up with Mako and Bolin, the only team so desperate they take on a complete rookie in the mid season.

>The Avatar needs another avenue as a celebrity since the Avatar isn't a celebrity
>water Avatar
>waterbending rookie
>not wanting the Avatar on your team
Sorry, but you dropped me there. Just like in LoK the probending way didn't grab me.

Ah, sorry, I didn't make myself clear. In this they don't know that Korra is the Avatar, even though she'll tell them in private. I was thinking her family and Tenzin want to keep it a secret till she learns all the elements, so no one knows. Her deciding to go fight crime after this is her big debut. I know precisely what you mean - not wanting the Avatar on your team is SUPER DUMB.

Have about fucking aang and not about the writers new donutsteels

Do you understand the concept of an OC donutsteal

>Have about

Also Aang's story was done. That also means any sequels were unnecessary. And that makes any attempts of a sequel inherently flawed, doomed to fail.

No romance. There, half the bullshit wiped out

I think you saved the everything.

You know when you think about it, there's really no (good) reason for Mako to exist.

And I kinda liked him, but in hindsight he brought *nothing* but shit to the show

>discount zuko
>korra bolin triangle of drama
>that whole asami mess
>shat all over the lightning lore
>became a cop for some reason?
>he basically turned asami and korra lesbian
>fucked up the flow of the Varrick arc

>shat all over the lightning lore
Autism.

>he basically turned asami and korra lesbian
The writers did it, and Korra was a jealous homebreaker.

>Autism.

>posting in a korra fan fic thread
>on a board for comics and cartoons
>hosted on Sup Forums

Autism.

Autism

>follow through from one season's over-arching plot to the next
>Korra doesn't immediately unlock the rest of her powers
>no Durk Uhvutur
>show the same care and attention to subtle details that The Last Airbender had
>less HEY REMEMBER THIS GUY fanservice
>no Meelo

This is a composite of the good ideas I've seen from the 10,000 quadrillion Korra threads I've seen.

I can make Avatar better in 6 words.

End it with a Space Jam.

>I was thinking her family and Tenzin want to keep it a secret till she learns all the elements, so no one knows.
Why would brash, arrogant Korra put up with this? In the actual show she outright brags to Bolin and Mako that she's the Avatar.

Mah watertribe.

man, that thread was great

Did the Earth bending Avatar idea ever go to space?
Because although stupid it is the best way for the Earth Avatar to go ultimate.

Funny joke, but no.

>she outright brags
>Hey can you show me some earthbending?
>Oh I thought with your clothing that you were watertribe?
>Yeah. I'm a waterbender. And a firebender.
>outright brags
She said she could do it and the one that made a big deal about it was Bolin.

I just hope platinum makes a sequel to their korra game that was the only fun I had with korra

There isn't a good Slamatar The Last Jambender mix so let's have the next best thing
youtu.be/bwv_2OKxZr8