This episode was dark as fuck. Quite possibly the darkest, most depressing episode of any TV show of all time

This episode was dark as fuck. Quite possibly the darkest, most depressing episode of any TV show of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_(writing)#Comedy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How high does my IQ needs to be to enjoy this show?

Not very. As long as you can understand the celebrity animal pun names, the jokes are pretty straight forward.

What did they mean by this?

The way they animated his mother's dementia-riddled memories really creeped me out. Especially the blank-faced people and silhouette of her lobotomized mother.

That whole plot was really forced. They shoved too many things in too short a period and mixed it in with ironic humor which muddled the potential of both, making the drama weak and the comedy awkward. Am I supposed to be bothered by bea's momma's lobotomy when her dad is spouting "le 50's sexist male beliefs"? Or was that a sincere character? And that's only one of the issues.

Dubs check out.

I don't remember any jokes in that plotline after the second episode. I don't actually remember any humor at all in Ep 11.

>people in the 50's arent supposed to be portrayed properly because my feelings

I played 11 now, and in the first minute Beatrice does a bit about "the sun" with Bojack mistakenly thinking she's remembered him but haha she's actually talking to the "ball of gas" in the sky to her right [camera pans over to show the sun].
A little later, little girl's father to little girl: "Now stop making books your friends. Reading does nothing for young women but build their brains, taking valuable resources away from their breasts and hips."
Should I take that line as written to be entirely unironic and sincere by the writers when they wrote it? Or that every line from her father is the same sort of parody and has to include something stupid like "if I had known this is how you'd behave once we severed the connections to your pre-frontal cortex, I'd hardly have bothered." Just a regular line, no humor intended? It's too mixed and muddled, half serious and half ironic and packed too tightly.

>2208x2016

What did user mean by this?

"At least Evers death means no one else will be assassinated this year. 1963. The FBI is on too high alert to allow anything like that to happen again."
Oh I get it lol, because JFK got assassinated that year haha

I tried watching the pilot once and it sucked.

Should I give it another shot or not?

wow someone whose iq was literally too low to enjoy the show

Or that Beatrice jumps over hurdles like a show horse for her debutante ball. We're gonna say that's sincere, not a joke? Packaged in after a reference to her mother's lobotomy which wasn't a joke, accompanied by a sharp sound to associate discomfort. So you have this mix of ups and downs and each one is shittier when packed so tightly next to the opposite.

It's more likely that your IQ is the low one, considering that's its appeased by such poor craftsmanship.

formerly chuck's

First four episodes of season 1 are mediocre at best but it picks up steam as you go. Season 2 onwards are good.

The first 4 or 5 episodes are the worst. The pilot especially. It doesn't really figure out what it wants to be until halfway through season one. If you can stomach that then I think you should give it another chance.

the pilot is considered one of the worst episodes, maybe THE worst (i'd say so, and barring a one-off christmas special joke "episode", imdb agrees).

e01e02 is quite a bit better, and will give you a much better sense for whether or not you'll like the show. with that said, most people who enjoy it do so because of it's combination of dramatic and comedic elements, and they take a while to develop. the series starts very slowly (i think the first half of season 1 in general isn't very good), but by the end of the first season, you'll know for sure whether it's for you or not

... *its combination

Huh. You sure got me for now.

God bless you user. At least you watched the show before deciding it wasn't that great. The world needs more anons like you.

I like you

ThisI think the point was actually kind of cloud atlasy. They were just trying to show how everything in the past still affects the present, from an emotional, human and historical POV.
Bojack grand father wasnt even portrayed as an "evil rich white man" but more like "a straight man from the 50s who is unequipped to deal with emotions".

It's only Sup Forums taht always tries to find the guilt in something, the writers were just portraying what happens

it was the only good part of s4

>tfw spent the next few days depressed knowing eventually we will end up similar to bojacks mom where our memories are fading and we are just a nuisance to those around us

>don't drink,smoke or do drugs
>live as healthy as you can
And youll probably die in your sleep before you lose your mind.

It's simultaneously using the period and culture as a context for telling that story AND using deconstruction to create ironic humor. Unless you're actually telling me that back in the 50s (or any period ever) people actually talked like this: "Fine, I'll take the corner office with the company car, six figure salary and four weeks paid vacation but if my novel becomes bad because I no longer remember what it's like to be working class, we'll know of whom to be blamed!"
You get the joke, right?
Or let's try:
"I don't know why you don't just get a divorce already."
"Oh sure, that's the Hollywood way. We're out of mustard, let's get a divorce! I'm a little sad, divorce! We've grown apart over the years and our adult child has moved out of the house and there's no reason for us to stay together, divorce!"
Did you notice it? Did you notice the comedy? Here, check this out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_(writing)#Comedy

My point is that it's telling a serious story with serious dramatic elements but punctuating it with jokes constantly which makes both awkward. And the dramatic side isn't particularly compelling to me in the way that it's written. It's like when a superhero movie has an emotional moment; I get it but it's too amateur to actually pull something from me, I just have that flashing sign in my head that's saying: [SAD MOMENT] to connect the dots of the story. Here too, I get it; Beatrice's story is supposed to be sad but before anything else, the story isn't some deep well written narrative weaving themes together harmoniously, it's a quickly shuffled together amusement park ride of drama. It's barely enough to elicit emotion on its own unless your heart strings are easily plucked, but then they keep breaking any slight build-up for me with these jokes, and particularly the jokes that function on the basis of simultaneous presence and lack of self-awareness where you have characters articulating ideas exactly in the way that they're meant not to actually understand them which makes the characters and their "sincere" actions seem fake and only there to serve as context/subject for the next joke.
So when her dad's lines are all "50s sexist men" shit that's written in a way where the character might as well wink at the camera every time he speaks I struggle, because if I am to take him as a parody and joke, I don't think he's funny, and if I am to take him as a serious character to give context for the drama of Beatrice's story, how can I when he says such stupid shit? How can I take Butterscotch or Beatrice seriously when they, in the story, say weird shit that doesn't make sense? One second it's a character, the next it's a platform for jokes at any expense. And this is done with probably every character, but there's usually a separation of the dramatic moments for those characters and the wacky comedic moments.

>Bea wishes she had aborted Bojack
>Hollyhock and the Doll are in her memories more than he is

Fucking
Bitch

>He doesn't know about Moral Orel S02
Come back when you've watched it, you puss

>This episode
>Dark
The one with the cat in the future was way darker. They were actually super soft on the whole dementia thing with this, could have gone WAY darker.
Tl;dr: Step it up, nigger.

>MOUSE'D
we takin yo women catboi, what you gon' do?

Are you Confused Matthew?

>most depressing episode of any TV show of all time.
go watch Moral Orel

These.

>dramedies that use irony and humor so they don't have to commit 100% to the drama
>all of the "drama" is "turns out this character has parental issues" or "im depressed"

it's a reference to an earlier episode where it's a poster for uncle buck but instead it says Uncle buck gets cucked

I turned down on Bojack when I was watching the first episode too. Couldn't make it past him and penguin talking at the cafe. Shit pissed me off, gave it another try and binged the whole first season at once. Bojack is now one of my most favorited shows.

Same story, watched 5 minutes and closed VLC. Got back to it months later and now Bojack is one of my favorites aswell. It's funny because I could have missed a good show if I hadn't got back to it eventually.

>So you have this mix of ups and downs and each one is shittier when packed so tightly next to the opposite
Oh look, you do get it after all.

I cried when she said what because it sounded like my grandma when she was dying with dementia.

>could have gone WAY darker
Elaborate.

>"English dub anime"

Remember the episode where he almost fucked the deer's daughter? That was dark.