GREEN LANTERN

What went wrong Sup Forums?

What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bxnz82_dB8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only thing that went right was Mark Strong. Everything else was just wasted potential brought about by lack of imagination and producers thinking they could make a quick buck without trying

Good casting. Bad everything else.

Hal Jordan may be a reckless goofball

But he's not fucking Kelso

There's way too much mythology crammed in this movie. Paralax and all the yellow ring stuff are unfilmable until you establish something. Myth is great, but DC/WB probably needs to step back and focus on the basic premise of the movie and character. He's a fucking cop in space.

Not enough space opera. Bad uniform. Wrong casting for Carol. Probably would be better if they adapted something like New Frontier but based in Irag or Afghanistan, but with the same feeling, morality, etc., and then everything else happens in space.

>What went right?

youtube.com/watch?v=bxnz82_dB8o

That scene where Hal chants the oath to keep from feeling fear was giving me chills.

>The rest of that fucking video

I am really glad I missed this movie.

>What went right?
Mark Strong as Sinestro and the stuff on Oa.
>What went wrong
Everything else.

Though even then it's not like the movie is painfully bad unlike the current DCEU it was just pretty boring and plain.

Blowing their load early.
You're seriously starting the first of what you were hoping to be a series of GL films with Parrallax?

Parallax was a mistake. It should've been a personal conflict.

Johns was screenwriter.

This first movie could have been like most of First Flight. He gets trained by Sinestro as a space cop doing space cop things.
If they would have done it well they could have made more with all the wacky colours they want

I am in the minority of people who don't really like Ryan Reynolds and depite them becoming a couple afterwards him and Blake Lively had no chemistry the scenes trying to establish that they knew each other and secretly loved each other fell short.

Fusing Hector Hammond and Parralax didn't really work and both villians came off as weak.

CGI suit seems a good idea until you see it, shouldn't have made it past screen tests.

Sinestro's heel turn was too quick and sudden should've been saved for sequel or third film fi any were to come.

He was just a consultant to get all the lore and stuff correct. I believe the guy who created CW's Arrow was the screen writer.

>He was just a consultant to get all the lore and stuff correct. I believe the guy who created CW's Arrow was the screen writer.

Johns supplied a lot of dialogue and lines, just like he always does. Berlanti (DCW) wrote (co-wrote?) a treatment and the first pass on the script and was doing the direction, until they decided to rush the film and something else conflicted, so they hired the Bond guy, who had no idea of comic books in general, much less DC comics or Green Lantern lore in particular. The script was re-written, etc., etc. You can find the initial script on line and supposedly it is a far better and different story than what we got. I've never read the script myself, but the treatment itself makes more sense than the film we got and everything else here is factual.

I often wonder: would it have succeeded in the 90s?

I liked it.

I felt more sympathy for Swolehead than Hal

He did nothing wrong until he got brain damaged

If you like the MCU, nothing, because it's about as good as your average Marvel movie.

>What went right?
The cgi animated costume. This is the one time a cgi costume makes sense.

I liked it

i liked it up until he bitch out of Oa and went back to Earth and the mandatory DC movie narrative clusterfuck took over

RIGHT
> the movie up until right after abin sur died
> mark strong
> constructs looked pretty good I thought, especially in final battle
> cgi suit was OK, too veiny for me but a decent concept
> thought ryan reynolds was OK desu he definitely wasn't the problem with this movie

WRONG
> parallax. too big for the first movie. they should have hinter at his presence maybe, shown him whispering to sinestro in the after-credits scene or something after he puts the yellow ring on.
> earth-centric plot instead of space-centric plot. it made no fuckin sense. hal shouldn't have come back from Oa in this movie until the very end. we needed to see what the Corps was all about, not what daily shenanigans hector was getting up to back on Earth.
> hammond was too dumb to use for this movie. maybe they could have done him in a way that didn't look so goofy but he's always been one of hal's more cringy villains.
> the soundtrack was the worst music i've heard in a movie in my entire life

TL;DR should have gone with a more First Flight type plot. Set up the corps, establish what they're about and Hal's squad (Kilowog, Salaak, Sinestro) to save Oa or some intergalactic threat. I think Manhunters would have been an excellent set-up for this universe simply because their origin forces the plot to elaborate on the origins of the green lantern corps & the guardian's intentions. hal gets to Oa, joins the battle against the manhunters, saves the day with the help of his bros and some GOAT moves, heads back to earth to get some Suckin from Carol. Movie ends with Sinestro arguing that they almost lost everything because they're too afraid to utilize the yellow spectrum. He gets the wring, have a faint whispering of Parallax or something to set up the larger threat for future movies etc.

Hector was an intelligent, socially awkward man with daddy issues. General comic audiences relate to him better than Hal, who's just a douche.

The helicopter crashing Hot Wheels scene should have been impressive, being the first big thing Hal does with his powers, but it looks stupid.

Hal defeats Parallax using the first lesson he ever learned in Lantern training, which serves more to make the other Lanterns look incompetent than Hal seem smart.

Sinestro's turn is based on him believing that the Green Lanterns don't have enough power to defeat Parallax, and that using Yellow Rings will give them that power, except that Parallax feeds off of fear and gets stronger from it, making him seem like a retard.

Sequel
> sinestro corps vs green lantern corps
> intros Guy

Third movie
> hal getting slowly possessed by parallax and his bros have to save him
> intros John & Kyle

hire me dc

wow this is awful

To much to early.it got so bad that i expected them to go full zero hour.

Bad special effects and starting with a poorly designed really big had instead of building up.

The problems with Hammond's character all stemmed from the fact that they did nothing but underline with a giant highlighter that he was reverse Hal who took a different life choice. They did it so much and so often that I'm convinced their intended audience was blind and deaf.

Parallax looked like a giant fart cloud.

Everything

It made sense that the costume be CGI, the problem is that it looked fucking awful.