Actually not too bad

Silent films generally don't hold up, imo, due to the approach they took to "acting", and the shitty editing. However, this one wasn't too bad, and I kind of enjoyed the "special effects" they used.

What are some other silent films that aren't complete ass?

nosferatu
the golem

>nosferatu
Watched that one the other day, again. It really suffered from poor editing, and the ending was weak as fuck. Had some great visuals, though.
>the golem
I'll have to try that one out.

>don't hold up

That's like saying that classical music doesn't "hold up" because of the lack of guitar solos. It's not dated, it's just OLD. History has happened. Art history, world history. Get an education.

>It really suffered from poor editing
No it didn't.

>the ending was weak as fuck
No it wasn't.

>the golem
>>inspired by ancient Jewish legend.

Ah, shit....

>That's like saying that classical music doesn't "hold up"

No, it's not.

Classical music keeps excellent time, uses wonderful transitions, and is performed by professionals.

A lot of silent films, on the other hand, are amateurish, at best, and suffer from dwelling on scenes far too long after they've already conveyed the point / emotion they intended. They also suffer from weak writing that fails to properly show the cause or justification for some of the actions in any given scene.

>No it didn't.
Yes, it did. How long does a scene need to focus on an actor making a "startled" face to understand the character is supposed to be startled?
>No it wasn't.
Yes, it was. We're supposed to believe that ol' Count Orlock was capable of killing off an entire crew of a ship, and countless citizens in town, while constantly being aware of and avoiding the rising sun, but the dude all the sudden loses his shit for ONE chick and gets caught at sunrise? That shit was lame, dude.

I love silents but can see why others may not like them. It really is more of an acquired taste. I would suggest other silent horror movies like the Monster, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Phantom of the Opera, the Unknown, the Unholy Three and the Penalty. I'd also recommend films like the Thief of Bagdad, the Crowd, Sunrise, Wings, Two Arabian Knights, Hitchcock's Blackmail, the Three Musketeers, and the silent comedies of Keaton, Chaplin, Lloyd, Linder, Senett and Laurel and Hardy.

To be fair a lot of the plot points were changed from Dracula to avoid a lawsuit from the Bram Stoker family. Nosferatu dies by the sunlight in order to diverge from the book so people wouldn't suspect they were copying the book.

>t. brainlet

Orlock is a metaphor for the plague. That's why he looks like a rat and that's why they talk all the time about some mysterious disease killing people. It's a completely original idea, not borrowed from Bram Stoker's novel. Of course it really helps if you know history and culture. Just few years before the film premiere there was a Spanish flu pandemic which killed more people than WW1.

That's a myth. One of the first intertitles explicitly says that this film is an adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Good list, dude, thanks.
Got it, but they could have done something a little more creative than what they did. The ending just seemed like a total cop-out.
>t. dipshit
Orlock isn't a metaphor for the plague, dude, he's a g'damn beast. A killer. He was using the "plague" to help cover up his feeding activities.

The version I saw said Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horrors but didn't mention Dracula at all. I saw the English translated one though.

>muh plot
Your understanding of this film is incredibly superficial.

>That's a myth.
The studio that produced the original was ordered to destroy all the copies of the film for copyright infringement.

What exists today are essentially bootleg copies that managed to escape Deutschland, and some of those included the "Dracula" reference to capitalize on the somewhat success of the novel.

The history of this movie is much more complicated than that.

>some of those included the "Dracula" reference
The original German copy. They also didn't even change the name of the ship Demeter.

The ship name is changed to Empusa in the movie.

The Phantom of the Opera was God tier. Speaking of old movies the original the mummy movie was absolutely great and hilariously underrated.

My mistake, you're correct.

L’Atalante 1934
The Last Laugh 1924
Ménilmontant 1926
A Page of Madness 1926
Piccadilly 1929
I Was Born, But… 1932
Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler 1922
Broken Blossoms 1919
Vampyr 1932
Pandora’s Box 1929
Greed 1924
Variety 1925
Foolish Wives 1922
The Man Who Laughs 1928
Diary of a Lost Girl 1929
People on Sunday 1930
The Blood of a Poet 1932
Zero for Conduct 1933
The Goddess 1934
L’Âge d’Or 1930

Good picks but Vampyr wasn't silent. It was just light on dialogue.

my bad

Metropolis

solid movie, also a good drinking game if you're friends are drunk enough

forgot to mention:
Japanese Girls at the Harbor 1933
That Night’s Wife 1930
Koshiben Ganbare 1931
The Phantom Carriage 1921
Master of the House 1925

>
A lot of silent films, on the other hand, are amateurish, at best, and suffer from dwelling on scenes far too long after they've already conveyed the point / emotion they intended
Just shut the fuck up, it's clear that you haven't seen more than 5 silent films, embryo.
That shit is lame DUDE XD!