Alright, fuck it. I'm going to watch Evangelion + End of Evangelion for the first time this week. What should I expect?

Alright, fuck it. I'm going to watch Evangelion + End of Evangelion for the first time this week. What should I expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

mutantminds.bigcartel.com/product/who-cares
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

omedeto

It starts off like it's going to be another typical anime with robots but it gets better as the angels start fucking shit up and the stakes get higher. You will probably enjoy the main characters slowly breaking down. 9/10 series

idk i guess it depends on if you like psych analysis and robot fights or not

congratulaciones

It's a good anime but FLCL is still GAINAX's finest hour. And it's just as """"deep."""""

you got yourself caught

I don't think either are that "deep", their meanings aren't really obscure; the two series definitely capture certain states of life. End of Evangelion really does reproduce an existential crisis and how one's line of thought proceeds. FLCL really reminds me of the weird sexualized frustrations of being an adolescence

Some good shit

This.
Everything up to episode 15 is pretty much about establishing the setting and characters, and fighting angels. From episode 16 and onwards, we're shown how fucked up everything behind the scenes are.

just remember that it's wrong to sexualize asuka and rei because they are underage

K I N O

It's going to get boring around the middle. Stick with it. Don't skip anything. There aren't any filler episodes, even ones that seem like filler have important character moments.

just don't skip or discount the last two episodes no matter what shit advice you've heard

Brilliance. Keep in mind that it's about psychology and mentally ill people, not heroes or robots. You should know what to expect.

Idk why but I've seen so many threads about this lately and am considering doing the same. I've seen or even really wanted to see an anima before but something about EoE seems enticing. How crazy would it be to just watch the movie? Like watching Fire Walk With Me without watching Twin Peaks?

>
Nonsense

You'll enjoy the trippy imaginative visuals but you'll miss out on all the emotional impact.

It's essentially the collective emotional nut of a 26 episode blueball.

it's a character drama, you wouldn't get much out of it without the 26 episodes that introduced and developed everyone

I truly don't know how to feel about this show. I liked it, but I'm not into psychology at all, so I kind of wanted to know more about the back stories of the angels, Evas, NERV, and SEELE, instead of the character stuff we got with Asuka and shit. EoE is one of the most spectacular 'mus I've ever seen, though. The fuck was up with Shinji slapping the ham to comatose Asuka?

OP, don't click this pic, it's an explanation of the series/movie using lore from the manga, so literally every spoiler is contained within it. Just wanted to post it to possibly spark discussion.

It's definitely about robots.

The movie gets hard to follow for a first-time watcher who's seen the 26 episodes. You'd be completely lost from square one.

Something to cosplay on Halloween

Expect to get ANNO'D

he was lonely and desperate, she was in a state that meant she couldn't reject him

Youll be sad for 1 week bc you dont have a redhead fiesty gf but thats rly the only thing 'psychological' about it
Unless you wana go on Sup Forums and talk about how the movie is so deep or about masturbation

It just seemed like such an abrupt tonal shift. One second he's frantically trying to wake her up, then he sees a tiddie and immediately busts a nut.

Make sure you get director's cut versions of episodes 21-24.

Just go in cold you fucking baby

I do not understand how much of a cuck you have to be to prefer the slutty bitch princess over the sweet and caring Rei.

Kys urself

stupid kid

Adding to this, the sephiroth encodes are the best version of the series you will find and include the DCs and EoE.

EoE stands less on it's own than FWWM does, but both are exponentially enhanced when watching the main series.
EoE needs the buildup of the series to really do justice. Keep in mind the visuals you see in EoE are just as maintained in the original series unlike how FWWM classic imagery (The Black Lodge) is barely present in Twin Peaks.

>the absolute state of this post

Why the fuck is Kaworu included in all these pics? He's such a non character that shows up every now and then, then gets Unit-01'd. Aside from initiating Shinji's gay awakening, he's just a le dude mysterious plot device.

I think it's funny that waifu wars came out of this, seeing as how every female in it was trash.

it's intentionally jarring, maybe excessively, but it's supposed to confront the audience and bring them viscerally into how low shinji's sunk after the latter third of the series beats him down.

there's also the aspect that even when trying to wake her up, he's doing out of a selfish (but relatable) need for validation and gratification after his other sources are unable to deliver. so, you could see it as emotional need conflating with physical desire too

It's more like watching Beyond Life and Death without watching the rest of Twin Peaks.

Woah that would be really crazy. In some ways it seems cool, but I know ultimately its wasting what could be really powerful. I'll watch the show, no worries

He's a big portion of Shinji's development, and really popular with the gays. I'm not much of a fan, though.

yeah don't listen to anyone who says you can watch EoE without watching the series.

To watch or not to watch rebuild?

watch them after you finish the series and EoE if you want some more eva. they're fine.

1. Good animation, first of all. The fights are actually really awesome even though that's not really point as time goes on. Aesthetically the robots and monsters look amazing, and the ending of "End of Evangelion" is probably my favorite thing in all of anime visually. It is truly a spectacle.
2. Confusing and obscure story and plot elements.
I highly recommend reading some analysis of the whole series afterward, or during if you can't wait, because it puts everything into a context that makes you appreciate it more.
tl;dr Hideaki Anno made it weird on purpose, and if you're "in on it" it makes it better

EoE is a fucking masterpiece.

they're okay. people hate 3.33, it's the twin peaks 3rd season of evangelion

If you're a fan of "less is more" filmmaking, you'll really enjoy it. Eva has a lot of clues to uncover and reading analysis and fan theories is part of the fun.

They are fun to watch when you want more Eva, don't hold them to anything really. You're also unlikely to get the last one so it really doesn't matter.

why can't japs into plot

The only argument people have against 3.0 is that the characters treated shinji in an annoying and nonsensical way.

Because 95% of people who watch NGE project themselves into the character that is Shinji, after Shinji was thrust into a situation where people were treating him poorly, unfairly and nonsensically, they were personally hurt and confused. They felt betrayed by all of their favorite characters, and were confused why they would treat him in such a way.

This is how 3.0 is an absolute masterpiece. Just as 2.0 successfully pulled you through a comfy world of girls and overcoming obstacles and made you happy and comfortable, 3.0 just as successfully pulled you into a world of pain and confusion, precisely what Shinji was feeling during 3.0. It is a magnificent achievement in art that people feel exactly what the main character is feeling while the main character is feeling it, the sense of confusion and pain that Shinji is feeling is 100% projected onto the viewer.

Virgins are unable to separate themselves from the perspective of Shinji and look at Hideaki's artwork from the outside, so they turn their pain and confusion into dislike, aka cognitive dissonance(what christians feel when they see literature on natural selection).

This is why a true Chad understands the magnificent piece of art that 3.0 is, and the difficult task that it has achieved of pulling you directly into the feelings of the MC.

1.0 is a carbon copy.
2.0 is a really enjoyable take on the series, but cracks start to show.
3.0 is going to piss you off.

You think FLCL season 2 has any chance to get anything like that right?

that's not sadamoto yknow

Japanese horror is pretty famous for having convoluted plots. It's strange how more anime isn't like this.

Honestly the themes aren't really that confusing if you pay attention to episode 25 instead of drown it out, which I think is what a lot of people do. The show straight up tells you in huge white letters on a black background that it's an allegory for phenomenological egoism. Something along the lines of "All things exist in this world for you to obtain them, you simply must find the means to do so. This is reality."

there is literally zero reason why misato's army wouldn't have just killed shinji if he was such a threat

The designs of the angels, Unit-01, and the Lance of Longinus are fucking amazing.

virgin

it's almost as if denying and shifting blame is a recurring theme in 3.0

I didn't name these files m8

Misato best girl

I'm not a waifufag, and I don't know who this chick is, but I have a sudden desire for her to ask me if I'm stupid.

every evangelion girl sucks except for yui

>Thoroughly dicked old hag

>he doesn't exclusively waifu obscure noncanon girls from spinoffs
fucking plebe

lmao who the fuck is that

I find Kaworu's introduction and storyline, with how Shinji reacts to him, to be some of the most interesting and dramatic moments of the series

>never had sex, so he doesn't realize the value of experience

Whats the best eva merchandise I can get that doesnt out me as an autist?

NERV t-shirt

I mean, I like the character (and the shot of Unit-01 holding him is probably my favorite of the series), but I felt like he just sort of popped out of nowhere, and was gone equally fast.

Yeah I'll take an inexperienced teenager over some thirty year old with a dick mileage in the quadruple digits any day

Dude, good fucking idea

If you're over 18, don't bother. You won't understand or relate to it at all.

>caring what strangers think about you

Sorry lad, I just can't argue with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a fucking freak who's excited to please you, and a girl who'll dead fish as soon as you put it in.

out of print lol

>leaving the house

I dig it.

Holy fuck, there are so many great scenes in NGE and you picked those?

A couple buddies and I watched it for the first time last month, and now whenever something happens, one of us will say "Dear God..." and the other will finish with "The Lance of Longinus returns." Best fucking line of the show.

I just don't want to look like you typical nigger or casual anime fan who says they are "huge" fans of the show.

it's about kinaemotographique

The difference? About fifteen years of sag and weight gain, a context of physical and emotional expectations, and a lack of clean slate to work with.

The other dude had it right, just get a simple NERV t shirt. Anyone who looks twice at the logo will think it's a band shirt, but fans of the series will instantly recognize it.

Been planning on getting this for a while

Where in the world can I buy this shit?

This.

mutantminds.bigcartel.com/product/who-cares
then look like an /fa/ fuccboi instead

Are you saying you are under 18 or that you dont enjoy Evangelion?

Are you implying that adults couldn't possibly have old memories of being a kid like shinji?

Not to mention that the creator, an adult, is over 18

This nigga knows what's up

Show was marketed and targeted to teenagers.

I've seen some relatively subdued hoodies with color schemes based on Unit 1 or Unit 2.

Spongebob is targeted toward children, that doesn't stop it being funny to adults

Not really anything to be insecure about. Evangelion is literally the series that pulled adult-oriented anime to the televised medium. Before pretty much all adult demographic anime was OVA.

Crippling depression

>tfw first watched Eva and End of Eva when I was 14
perfect age to discover it desu. Fucked me up mentally too as I related to Shinji way too much...

It actually got it's funding cut by producers because it was considered inappropriate for it's child's timeslot. That's literally why 25/26 are the way they are.

FLCL is trash

Initially, but wasn't it moved to another more adult time slot later in its run?

I'm 25 now, but got into the show around 2005 when the Platinum box sets came out. First got into to when Toonami showed it a couple episodes way back when. I couldn't even imagine watching for first time today at my age. It would feel really awkward.