What does Sup Forums think of Chungking Express?

What does Sup Forums think of Chungking Express?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DnqdiH-VKzg
youtu.be/97GwbI27w10
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2998109
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's two good movies

I want to ____ Faye Wong.

Fallen angels is much better, but everything by wong kar wai (except that piece of dogshit Grandmaster) is pure kino

I only found out The Grandmaster was directed by him after seeing it and was really confused. I couldn't understand how that movie was from the same director as In the Mood for Love and Fallen Angels

Facefuck

Adore it, one of my favourites of all time

listen to the singing of

Grandmaster was leagues better than My Blueberry Nights

never bothered to even watch that. I can't recall a single time asian director made a movie with western actors without it being trash.

oh look, two people with zero understanding of the history of chinese film industry history, of which its very foundation was built upon and owed to martial arts culture and its filmic representation and every great chinese film maker from King Hu to Kar Wai has tried to incorporate its ideals into at least one of their works as a celebratory nod or homage to the wuxia crux of chinas long history. Its the same reason every kike director has at least one WWII or holocaust movie under their belt.

people who don't understand this doesn't even understand film as an artists need to express himself, and only want to be "entertained".

Die.

While Ang Lee's filmography has a few duds, I enjoyed Brokeback Mountain, and Hulk. Sense and Sensibility, and Ice Storm were supposed to be good.

WKW made Ashes of Time, so Grandmaster wasn't all that left field, the surprising thing at the time was "ANOTHER Ip Man movie?!".Nobody saw or remembers Ashes of Time because it's a wuxia movie with almost no fights.

save it for tumblr you pretentious film "student"

i love chinese cinema, and seen probably more classic wuxia movies than you've seen total, and grandmaster was not only boring, but also simply badly done movie.

I left the theatre after Grandmaster disappointed, but apparently it got hacked to pieces by Weinstein.

Blow it out your ass, nerd.

There are TWO (2) things to consider with a film:

1. Is it kino?
2. Is it not kino?

And you can filter your value-less opinion out of your hemorrhoidal ass and go back to drinking Arizona iced tea while wearing your trilby and listening to vaporwave and wanking off fallen angels and express, the only two kar wai films you've ever seen because IM SAD CUZ NO GF like the majority of kar wai "fans".

you can't even understand the cultural purpose and implications of the movies you watch. stay in your fucking depth and keep to the capeshit and tarantino threads, homo.

Lol at "cultural purpose"

Mm, yes... we mustn't forget the socioLOGICAL CONTEXTS and RAMIFICA-TIONS. What was the SOCIO-POLITICAL IN-TENT?? HM???

*presses glasses tightly against forehead*

*thumbs through Barthes*

nearly every wong kar wai movie is "im sad because no gf", even grandmaster to some extent.

and my favourite movie of his is 2046, do i get to keep my funny meme hat ?

>nearly every wong kar wai movie is "im sad because no gf",

Literally, actually THIS. Art is actually more about such "shallow" "feels" and "vibes" rather than sociopolitical history or whatever irrelevant lame shit some dorky academic pedophile cares about.

Why would a hipster stereotype stay in capeshit and Tarantino threads ? They are both very popular.

Not as good as In the Mood for Love, but still an incredible film.

In the Mood for Love breaks my heart every time I watch it.

>he thinks the br2049 babbies of Sup Forums can appreciate a masterpiece like Chungking Express

tony leung is such an incredible actor in that.

one of my favourite performances of all time

>he thinks people who love the films of Wong Kar-Wai are mutually exclusive from those who love Blade Runner

Lmao get a load of this faggot. WKW may not be widely known, but he's generally loved on Sup Forums by those who know his work.

He's excellent in 2046, as well. The way he carries that character on is very impressive. He's a hell of an actor.

more like
CHINGCHANG PRETENSIOUS CHOOCHOO

I love how this film features a Cantonese cover of The Cranberries that sounds better than the original

Hong Kong was better as a British Colony

when it comes to movies, most definitely

>youtube.com/watch?v=DnqdiH-VKzg
>do you like pineapple
What did he mean by this? Was she inviting her to suck his dick and swallow his semen?

which cut did you see?

the one on netflix is the dumbed down american cut

try torrenting an original cut, it makes slightly more sense, slightly

not that guy, but i've seen both, and original one in my opinion is even more of a mess

one of my all time favorites. first half is better though

He is husbando tier

agree.

no homo though

I love Christopher Doyle's cinematography in this. Here's a short doc about his work!!!FACT!!! youtu.be/97GwbI27w10

the original cut basically switched main character 2/3 the way into the movie, but the plot lines(?) makes sense, and the razor guy's character wasn't as random.

the US cut left out some vital scenes that left too many loose ends untied.

I remember seeing the US ver first and was like WTF? then saw the original cut and was like Oh, ok.

But then there are scenes exclusive to the US cut that they shot in an attempt to tie the whole thing together

Seen it but barely remember what happened

Leung is my favourite Chinese actor. He was better in Mood for Love, but he did a hell of a job going from story to story in 2046. The heartbeat and standout though was Zhang Ziyi, in the performance of her career.

Wasn't a complete accident that Faye Wong is one of the most popular cpop singers of her generation.

I'm always amused when he tries the pickup line in different languages. He's probably sick of all the canned pineapple and wants to offload some on her.

Rare, but I can respect that.

The razor guy was the most jarring part of Grandmaster. Regardless of editing, the movie really didn't need Ip Man to have a crush on Zhiyi's character.

Ip Man had a crush on her because she gets the martial arts life, while his own wife doesn't, it's like somebody that can finally share his interest, that's also a chick. Not unlike a video game geek finding out the hot chick in the office is also into call of duty.

I think the razor guy has his own plot line that vaguely overlaps with the plot line of the other characters. If you view the movie like pulp fiction then it makes more sense, you have the Ip Man story, the chick's story, and razor's story, they are their own stories but have some overlap with the other three.

I found his facial hair in Hero kinda skeevy. Infernal Affairs was his swarthy best IMO

True that. The scenes in the bar with the jukebox instantly made an impression on me.

When you put it that way it makes sense. I know it's WKW, but I really didn't expect another story about being lovelorn and yearning again.

Pulp Fiction made me care about its different characters, whereas razor guy seemed to come out of nowhere, and left without amounting to much. At least the fights were pretty good.

Its 6AM and my 25th birthday. Im going to watch the first part to celebrate.

Happy birthday, user

First part was better to me desu.

Happy birthday m8

I like the 2nd act better, for some reason I keep forgetting the first even exists, despite the fact that I really like Takeshi Kaneshiro.

Though still, one of my favorites. WKW is a master of conveying a certain mood through sound and visuals, what REFN tried to do especially with OGF and failed. Shows how much mastery it requires.

Ravage.

Refn didn't quite get all of it in OGF, but I enjoyed it more than Drive. OGF reminded me of an artsier The Counselor that wasn't complete shit.

I think OGF deserves a nod just because it tried to be something other than a prententious reddit flick. Can't say I liked it though.

One of thes best movies I´ve seen in my life desu

have a nice life man.

happy birthday.

I literally did the exact same thing last week

Then I went jogging

happy birthday

I had the same crocodile plushie which appears in the movie.

2nd part > 1st part

I'll read the thread later, but I'm assuming we all confirmed that Fallen Angels is the better movie, and one of the ten best movies of the 90s, right? Right.

He alredy did Ashes of Time so he doesn't need to do another wuxia film. Your opinion is discarded you fucking piece of shit.

>ALL THE LEAVES ARE BROWN

*"And the Sky is Gray" starts playing*

>what REFN tried to do especially with OGF and failed.
imagine being this much of a plebeian

The flight attendant ex-gf was easily the worst actor in the movie, but was quite sexy.

wtf
it's my 25th birthday today too

Happy birthday to you too

2046 was better.

>yfw you will never be as cool and suave as tony leung

fuck off reddit

Thats what I think as well.
I feel like Fallen Angels is a more complete film. It doesn't have that go happy vibe of Chunking though, so it won't be appreciated as much.

I love the first part and how fast paced it is. Strangely everyone seems to prefer the second part, which I found boring.

My nigga.

Is it gay that I reenacted the birthday jogging scene?

Dude, I did the same thing today for the same reason

Jeez I didn’t know there were this many chinks on Sup Forums.

It's all good

m8 see
I did the exact same thing

Please rec similar movies. I'll start.

Lost in Translation has the ennui of the first half. Amelie has the manic pixie dream girl of the second.

found the nigger

>California Dreamin' starts playing for the 50th time
Fallen Angels was better.

Hope you have a great day friendo

Thanks but looking for more obscure titles.

ALL THE LEAVES ARE BROWN, AND THE SKY IS GREY

Doyle is an absolute Master of the Camera. I don't know any Cinematographer who lights up my visual cortex like him.

Lolno.
Nice try, Sofia.

Adrift in Tokyo
Midnight Diner 1 & 2
Rebels of the Neon God

potentially the most pretentious thread I've read all week

>look at me I watched a chink movie I'm so cultured now xD

Yea I don't really understand why chungking express is always the top of the list for people when there's fallen angels and days of being wild. Everything made by him is great though

No one cares lol

What the fuck are you on about? I haven't read anything "pretentious" in this thread, just people talking about movies they like. Are you upset because you haven't seen them and you're really insecure about it because it makes you feel inferior so you go the full sour grapes routine and call everyone pretentious for.. having seen more than you? Please remove your autism from this thread, we're talking about movies, thanks

>look at me i am a fucking retard, pissing on people who enjoy foreign movies

potentially the most pretentious post I've read all week

So your criticism of the film is a criticism of the people who watch the film?? Youre a fucking prole

Cool film, Da Kar Wai !!

>not widely known
He is the most well known chinese director in the wesr after Ang Lee and John Woo

>Rebels of the Neon God
such a good flick

Maybe Zhang Yimou or Stephen Chow? Johnnie To after WKW and those guys I'd guess.

happy birthday user!

>Jonnie To
If only. No one but actionfags know about him.

Even then, he's still not widely known. I've met two people who have actually heard of and seen In the Mood for Love. Three people who have seen Chungking Express. Damn shame, too, because his work is phenomenal. And becoming more influential among filmmakers now, I think.

HP! Hope you're happy today

i've been wanting to watch this film for over a year but can't find anybody seeding it pisses me off so much

honest rec is this, not a carbon copy of wkw but feels like it's from the same universe

its entry level gookino m8

>youre only allowed to watch western Hollyjew movies or youre labeled as pretentious

there usually are some seeders on this one
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2998109

thanks it looks like you already posted isabella which makes me feel like suzhou river is what i'm looking for

Gook means Korean. This is chinkino.