Superhero deconstruction thread, yeah? We love these things, right, iirc

Superhero deconstruction thread, yeah? We love these things, right, iirc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F8qukpfAolY
parahumans.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So check it out: What if superheroes were authoritarian dictators who lost touch with the common man and are using their powers to opress the people instead of protecting them? And like they get their powers from snorting drugs? And they're all like, huge rapists? Yeah, oh man, that's so deep.

More dystopian themes, less smart ass attitude, thanks.

Duuuuude what if superheroes were all incompetent stooges for corporations and the government and the only competent dude who constantly beats them up and kills then is like, a dude in a trench coat who says "cunt"? Wooooooah

It's been done, redone, and done some more. It's all a big mess.

The reality is, superheroes are a juvenile wish fulfillment genre, and any attempt at treating them too seriously ends in a cringeworthy mess. Honestly, the best deconstruction right now would be getting back to those roots, where grimderp edgetards get their shit slapped by heroes who seem to get their power from being goofy and unaware of it. The moment you start questioning superpowers, they weaken.

Powers was closed after 2 seasons. So, no, people don't love these things.
youtube.com/watch?v=F8qukpfAolY

>superheroes are a juvenile wish fulfillment genre
correction, any form of wish fulfillment is juvenile. real men get what they want, not day dream about it.

Isn't all that, minus the last bit, pretty much One Punch Man?

What if their powers are just political and financial, rather than physical?

Deconstruction does not mean "make things edgy", user. You can subvert tropes for comedy as well.
And even without comedy you can still have a lighthearted deconstruction of a lighthearted original, the tone does not necessarily have to change.

>it's what if Superman was . . . EVIL episode.
Ultraman and Superboy Prime are the only acceptable case.

The best "realistic" take on Superpowers is the "Wearing the Cape" series. Worth reading if you want to look more into it.

Anyway, I've always been of the opinion that the current order would not be able to survive in anything resembling its current form, depending on the power level of the metas.

I want an injustice done right sort of thing.

Justice Lords. Humanity united under the Lords. Later arcs being about Earth ascending into the Interstellar community, attracting attentions and finding its niece.

Theres such a huge obsession over "lighthearted" and "fun" to be forced into things, instead of having things be so black and white why cant we have both and every gradient inbetween? Ive done book studies at university and they included graphic novels, pulp comics, heroshit and the array of novels/novellas so why cant we have complex or thoughtful shit along with the "like da good ol days" stuff?

Batman/Wayne's money is what's keeping Gotham down. The dude runs the place as his personal poor people hunting-ground.

What about the Plutonian?

Didn't you like red son?

Not really. Saitama's the strongest by a long shot and the other heroes are selfish asshats, sure, but he doesn't beat up other heroes. Hell, he even works with them and is more then willing to take the blame for them if it means protecting their image.

Who took Earth's niece? :(

This honestly sounds like it would have potential if done right, but the many many many people who brought this idea up were just interested on shitting on Batman/superheroes as whole.

>implying you can obtain heat vision
Unless you'd want to see how toxic waste feels like on the off chance it gives you powers instead of cancer, some things cannot be obtained

Oh, it's you again.

Probably the Guardians

?

parahumans.wordpress.com/

Worm tries to explain a number of tropes and has a darker superhero world.

I was thinking about the careers superheroes have and kinda wonder if they should be updated.

lex luthor- is a wealthy publisher that runs the daily planet and some science journal

flash-an IT guy, always chasing a faster bitrate

superman-social worker

batman-disillusioned police officer

peter parker- twitch/live streamer

it seems like one of the main traits that the superheroes take with them through any iteration of themselves is the careers of their alter-egos.

Total scrub here, what should I read if I actually want non powered people taking down much more powerful powered people?
Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe doesn't count.

So deconstruction of the deconstruction of the superhero genre?
That couldn't be "getting back to those roots" though, you would have to go against the ideas and values of the deconstruction of superhero, reaffirming those of the superhero in a new way, to acknowledge the criticisms they bear and refute them rather to ignore them.
Like I said above, I'm a scrub so I wouldn't know how to do that I admit.
I would be really surprise if it hasn't been done already.

wat

Superman and Spider-Man I kind of get, because of the death of print media (even if Spider-Man hasn't been a photographer for a longass time), but why do you think billionaires and a forensic scientist need "updating"?

>what should I read if I actually want non powered people taking down much more powerful powered people?

I honestly can't think of a single good recommendation for this, most of the time it's justified by retarded writing or the non-powered person just getting powers.

Because the Internet only has two settings for everything. No exceptions.

becuase the current trend associated with those careers.
and just becuase seems kinda odd that in every time line clark is a reporter and barry is a forensic scientist

I mean theres gotta be a universe where all the superheroes work at a fast food restaurant.

kinda wonder how it would affect the superheroes pathos if their dreams they held for their alter egos were different.

firstly a deconstruction of deconstruction is called reconstruction, which basically means accepting the points raised in the deconstruction (why doesn't Batman just use his wealth to help lower crime in Gotham for instance) as valid, but finds a way to have the original idea still make sense

Postmodernism was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Yeah, that make sense I guess. I have the worst words.
>why doesn't Batman just use his wealth to help lower crime in Gotham for instance
Well, since you bring the subject, may I also ask for a story where Bruce Wayne save the day rather than Batman?

All the deconstructions I've seen boil down to:
>What if Superheroes were actually bad
and
>What if our Superman expy was evil

Honestly, the best done Superhero deconstruction set in a semi-realistic world was probably The Incredibles.

There was one time Bruce couldn't give up his martial arts skills while being robbed at gunpoint so he squirted mustard in the gunmans eye, does that do it for you?

I did. She's hot.

>Honestly, the best done Superhero deconstruction set in a semi-realistic world was probably The Incredibles.

This.

This.

How about if a bunch of people are given powers like the Fantastic Four but instead of being horribly warped monsters forced to work under the power of an authoritarian government that keeps their existence under wraps, they use their powers to fight crime and save people's lives?

spider-man and the human torch have both have worked in fast food. what current trends?

>grimderp edgetards get their shit slapped by heroes who seem to get their power from being goofy and unaware of it

literally one punch man

Yeah. If only we would have such a thing

the boys, if you can handle garth ennis in big doses

Fuck you, the Boys is great.