Why didn't the Futurama fanbase turn out as shitty as Rick and Mortys?

Why didn't the Futurama fanbase turn out as shitty as Rick and Mortys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rDtgt6EsluI
youtube.com/watch?v=3YGxe1oP8yE
youtu.be/1-bCIA_vyVc?t=35s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it didn't pretend to be smart

Its core audience wasnt to cater to man children

It did
You just don't remember it
If I could get a dollar for every shitstain using bender stickers back in the day...

its schtick wasnt nihilism

According to whom?

They were pretty awful at one point.

>If I could get a dollar for every shitstain using bender stickers back in the day...
Were you like 8 years old when futurama was on?

they were but because the internet wasn't flooded with retarded 11 year olds on smart phones that never touched a computer promoting sauce ((ironically)) for marketers you didn't know.

Yes
Futurama was 18 ywars ago

Rick and Morty has a huge problem. The creators will tell you that Rick is a piece of shit and not really right, then go out of their way to make him come out on top every time however he can (except that one self insert asian chick writer).

On the other hand, with Futurama you don't have that. The closest character to Rick would be Bender, and they don't go out of their way to put him as an all powerful always right figure.

For a similar fanbase reaction look at Mouse MD. A main character who couldn't work in the real world is allowed to exist and be celebrated in fiction because he's always right, and smarter than everyone else.

well futurama was actually funny so that's kind of a big difference

You made me remember that Hugh Laurie was on Stuart little.

And fanbases are always toxic, believe me.

look at 9gag 2011-2013
pure futurama shit memes

It was before social media.

this social media ruined everything

>Futurama was 18 years ago

Futurama had some pretty bad fans, but at least their show is actually good unlike Rick and Morty.

It's just a misguided morality of the fanbase, it's just skewed by the fact that it's animated. Rick's a hyperbolic version of Jeff Winger, yet because we saw Jeff suffer, back slide and not accomplish much during his tenure at Greendale we were able to see, first hand, that the unethical way that he lived was "wrong", in spite of coming out on top in the cartoonish shenanigans.

It was pretty obvious in House that he was destroying careers and long standing relationships because of his personality and addiction, but because of how TV shows get renewed and the kind of people that liked it, it turned into Jerkass Doctor is Always Right: Fuck Personal Relationships.

It was a different time. A better time.

oh no, oh no no no no

Honest answer? Futurama actually appeals to people with higher emotional and intellectual quotients.

Futurama was popular pre Reddit

Futurama is better than Reddit and Meme

You would be broke

That was before millennial navel gazers, cringy "science fans", and sucking the life out of pop culture with social media. The last also involving not being connected to every thought that pops into a show talent head and being forced to confront the fact you are watching the product of retards.

Futurama tugged on a lot of a heartstrings. It was done in really obvious and forced sort of ways. Yet, all the characters had positive attributes to them.

In Rick and Morty everyone is just a pit of shit. No one has any redeeming qualities outside of maybe Summer.

None of the characters were mary sues like Rick.

Fry was a retard, leela was sensible and strong but also made awful decisions constantly, bender was a horrible and lazy robot, the professor was brilliant but senile etc... They're all basically realistic people.

There's an Amazing Atheist video where he actually says the words "I love rick and morty because Rick is basically ME!" That's how redditors and autists see themselves, as a hyper intelligent superhero who can do no wrong.

Because they were Simpsons fans from when Simpsons was just coming to the end of its prime?

I remember wanting to watch this show so bad and Fox network kept moving it around and letting baseball preempt it. They were afraid the creators would put all their energy into this unproven cartoon rather than The Simpsons. After it was canceled, The Simpsons started having occasional references to being stuck in that job for life and some jokes about running out of material.

>Futurama tugged on a lot of a heartstrings. It was done in really obvious and forced sort of ways
I agree with what you are saying in essence, but not with what you're saying here exactly. Futurama only began to exploit the heart strings in its final season or so. The emotional moments before then - the four leaf clover, Leela joining hands with Fry as they walked off into the sunset to the tune of a poorly played holophoner etc - scenes like these were resonant. They were fantastic because they were organic; it didn't feel like the writers were intentionally trying to sucker punch you (the audience) emotionally for ratings. The dog episode sort of opened the flood gates, however, and one of the least appealing elements of Futurama renewed was just how aware the writing team was by that stage of this new emotional angle, and how willing they were to exploit it. R&M is even worse because their emotional scenes are even less developed, and somehow manage to come across as even more contrived. Harmon is a total hack, and comes across as a borderline narcissistic in his interviews.

Because Futurama is funny with likable characters. It will attract better people to it.

Did Futurama ever advertise itself as the smartest show ever and only to be viewed by smart people?

>FOX was more fair to MacFarlane's spin-offs than Groening's

J U S T

>Futurama was 18 ywars ago
Oh fuck.

YOU SURE ABOUT SWEETIE?
youtube.com/watch?v=rDtgt6EsluI
youtube.com/watch?v=3YGxe1oP8yE

prepubescent children didn't had as much access to the internet
young adults weren't as brain dead

People associated it with the Simpsons. It wasn't marketed as a show for smart people either.

Rick Sanchez is an actual sociopath with mary sue level powers. How could the fans not like him?

>There's an Amazing Atheist video where he actually says the words "I love rick and morty because Rick is basically ME!"
I remember when that guy was lauded as the Voice of Reason here

>I remember when that guy was lauded as the Voice of Reason here

Why? Didn't he shove a banana up his ass and burn his nuts with oil?

It was before the Banana and Reddit existed

I'm sure it was just as shitty except it was contained on forums on the internet when the internet still had gatekeepers.

Someone has to screen cap this moment.

>You made me remember that Hugh Laurie was on Stuart little.
I forgot all about that.

Because Futurama is good.

Social media, the fact that watching cartoons as an adolescent/adult wasn't considered cool yet and the fact that the fans -just like the old simpsons ones- were self aware and didn't force their tastes on everyone else

fuck, time flies.

youtu.be/1-bCIA_vyVc?t=35s

What's the best Futurama gag, and why is it Fry missing the button in A Big Piece of Garbage?

>Futurama
>1999
>18 years ago

It's part of the "we're such geeks" phenomenon.

I guarantee you that if Rick and Morty came out (and ended) in the 2000s it wouldn't have the rabid fanbase it has now.

screencap it yourself newshit

what have I done with my life?

Were there any pseudo intellectual and science shows in the early 2000s? Can't remember. The only big thing of a series I can recall is like Sex with the City, Malcom in the Middle, Dexter and after that How I met your mother. Anything but science shit. There were more hospital series at the time.

>Yes
>Futurama was 18 ywars ago

>Were there any pseudo intellectual and science shows in the early 2000s?

Well, there were those flash shorts on the internet by Harmon, similar in tone to Rick and Morty. The House of Cosbys come to mind.

>Where were you on March 28th 1999?
5th grade, everyone freaking out about Y2K, I'm freaking out about that "new simpsons show".

>Malcolm in the Middle
This show was max comfy.

>tfw my business will be turning 8 on Halloween

AmazingAtheist became a greedy narcissistic asshole just like the rest of those e-celeb fucks.

Man, nothing happened. I didn't even have a computer till 2000. Fun times with 56k dialup and all.

Because social media wasn't a thing yet.

Can I get a job with your business?

Can you guys explain to me what's wrong with Rick and Morty?

>The Simpsons could have retired with dignity and Futurama could have carried the torch.

It was such a comfy and funny show, things like always made you smile like a doofus. You've got an entire galaxy of ideas to draw from with Futurama too so it could run for a longer time and not run out of good content.

ah well

give me a job, I suck at doing stuff but I am funny looking so you can laugh at me

>Fun times with 56k dialup and all.
I'm having PTSD flashbacks of the black wall of death in Diablo II

its not funny or clever

I don't think anything's really wrong with Rick and Morty. It's just that the fanbase and bandwagoning is horrible purely due to social media and "we are geeks" thing going on now.

Coincidentally, my friends and I were just discussing yesterday how "tree fiddy" is an 18 year old reference.

because all it takes for "a fanbase to be shitty" is you need a handful of people repeating "the fanbase is bad!" over and over.

The internet wasn't as big of a thing back then.

But the fanbase is bad, it's worse than the sonic fanbase, mlp fanbase, the pewdiepie fanbase....

Those fanbases were at least contained on the internet.

Dan Harmon is involved, if you don't know what happens to anything Dan Harmon is involved with you'll see

House of cosbys was kino, fuck off

I LIKED House of Cosbys fucktard. I'm just saying that the reason the fanbase of Rick and Morty is so bad is cos of social media and "geek is cool".

Heres a question, which is worse: the steven universe fanbase or the Rick and morty fanbase?

Media ruined so many god damn things. Anything that was remotely male or outcast dominated.

Was it at that moment that you realized your friends were actually a single, 15 ton paleozoic monster?

it isn't edgy and cynical enough.

Futurama
>genuinely intelligent people make something entertaining and adventureful

Mick & Sporty
>self-insert written by hacks who thing reading the Daily Beast and /r/TodayILearned makes them a modern intellectual

I have no idea what the Steven Universe Fanbase consists of but people IRL consistently refer to Rick and Morty to me.

Nothing really, it's the fanbase that's really bad and toxic.

No less was expected by someone that refer to himself as amazing.

Futurama didn't need to hide beneath a veneer of sci-fi and teenage nihilism to pretend to be a show for intelligent people. It had a far better understanding of comedic timing, character development, and having meaningful emotional moments. Hell, they even had a math PhD in their writing staff and I believe a few more had their doctorates in science, so they actually understood the sci-fi material better.

Are you familiar with Windows, Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony systems? Can you reliably troubleshoot tech problems? Can you keep any and all fanboyism in check so you can help customers find the right game? Do you have any experience running tournaments? How are you customer service skills? Do you main Hanzo?

No.

Are you running an internet cafe or a videogame shop?

>he is a overbaby
fuck you and your business

Wrong, it's 16 years old

your biz sounds like a scam

been in the pro kidnapping game for a while huh

Hi Brett