How do I write a basic story?

I'm an independent filmmaker who is just learning as much as I can. But what are some basic formats for crafting a quick story?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IiWqNkk6L._SY355_.jpg
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wI4AZVi3L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=VAo-b_eN6sk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Use what is around you, and don't write genres.
Start with something close to a documentary, choose your cast and then add more and more fiction over their real personality.

Also try to use as much natural light as you can, and don't focus on the final twist as much as on the subtext of the plot and the character development (but don't fall in love with one character's arch, no one is gonna love it as much as you do and can easily ruin your movie)

I'll definitely take note of that personality part. Although I was also looking for possibly something on basic story elements that I can just kind of "fill in the blanks" to get something easy started. You know just to get my feet wet.

Try to meet some film festival programmers, maybe go to master classes or workshops near you as much as you can. Get personal emails, because in the end open calls and forms for film festivals are usually ignored.
Also don't waste your world premiere ind a Z-class film festival, aim for the best one that you can reach.

Three act story.

There is a problem.
The problem causes problems.
The problem is solved.

OP here, this is incredibly helpful. I've got myself a DSLR, editing software, a few regular lights, and a few college friends for cast members. Thanks for the insight. All I needed was that inspiration to help me write a simple script.

Thank you!

Here's an example story you can look at, notice how the simple concept can develop into such a complex story.

A boy falls in love with a girl. Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl’s phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well. But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush. Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Well it depends, if it's a short film i would not go for romantic subplots or "what ifs". Try to think about why do you want to tell that specific story or why do you want to tell it that way, and develop the missing parts from there.
For example, if i'm writing a story that happens in my home town, i'd try to think what cultural expressions from there/what characters that i've meet there/could add something to my film and in what way. It could be a job for the main character, a location, a fair that's happening at the same time and involves several secondary roles...

OP here

I've been watching a lot of Trailer Park Boys lately and it's inspired me a bit to make something simple and funny like that. I think I'm going to try and just let my story be natural and let comedy take its course just because of how drama is way out of my league. I need to make my short films succinct and easy for not only me to understand, but the audience to under.

If we're talking about a full lenght story, then it gets more complicated.
I'd work with a core (what do I want to tell, no script, no dialogues, just the three-act story simplified) and then think about the location, context, time and start adding from there. Sometimes even the story will change after some research around the initial core.
But everyone has their own method and it can change, just keep trying and you'll find yours.

Reading this book should give you a solid grasp over the basics.

Yes that sounds good. Comedy also allows you to take some diversions from the main storyline and then retaking it. You can try to work with some friends as secondary characters but be careful about the main characters, you might think someone you know for a long time is really funny but it can be just your impression.

Available at libraries or bookstores?

Assuming I make like one 10 minute episode of whatever. Where do I even upload the video to give it a little bit of attention? Is YouTube a good option? If so how do I allow it to be something that people happen upon?

I live in Sweden so I'm probably the last person to ask but if it isn't available, you can always just download the audiobook. I assume you're american?

Yup. A good ole Californian

>situation
>character's goal
>conflict/interruption in achieving said goal
>resolution

now go make some kino

Follow the tried and true Hollywood technique of just stealing it from someone else, changing a few small things, then aggressively sue anyone who accuses you of theft.

OP

Danke freund! I've honestly just been missing those simple elements because I've been over thinking everything

I'd try to film like 6 episodes, even if it takes more time, and then upload them regularly (you can save time and money by using as less locations as possible)
That way the people feel that this is a season of a webseries, and that they're watching something that is structured and organized. And then you create the hype for season 2 and potentially attract producers. Also with a full season like that you can submit to webseries festivals and get some publicity.

OP

Seems like a solid plan.

Youtube is the most accessible but, unless you plan on releasing videos weekly, it will almost definitely get overlooked and/or shitposts from people who do watch it.

Vimeo is slightly better in that there is a really supportive community. But it's the same issue in that it will be overlooked due to how much shit there is on that site. And it's a bit more foreign to normies.
But the compression is better (this only matters if you plan on spending a lot of money on a good camera).

I use vimeo myself but I'm moving towards youtube more and more

Also read this if you're really blocked.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations

Man, this is a pretty good thread. I wish more people were as enthusiastic as OP or at least had an actual interest in movies and filmmaking.

OP here.

The camera that I have is a Nikon d5100 with a Tamron 18-200 mm, and a prime macro lens (forgot specs)

I use vimeo because it gives you a certain "cultural" value, but if you want views i think a combination of youtube/facebook official page would work better.

OP here

I'm genuinely surprised this many people are this supportive. Just Jesus christ I'm filled with joy

Don't use the DSLR's sound, get an external sound recorder.
Nothing kills a film like shit sound.

Spend some money on a sound recorder (zoom h5n or TASCAM equivalent) if you don't have one, it really makes a difference.

OP here

Trust me I've done so much research on that and all that I can really afford is my Android as a sound recorder, which actually sounds a shit ton better than my Nikon.

Although I am investing in possibly a rode ntg 2 or an xm-55 or xm-88

Birthday is coming up soon so hopefully a couple hundred dollars will make a difference

this
since you're going for comedy sketches it sounds like, I guess don't worry too much about compression/bit-rate etc etc
But you still need to know some cinematography shit, ie lighting properly and how to use your camera

When in doubt, just shine a desk lamp at whoever's talking's face (this is only half sarcastic)

I hope you can buy it, you'll see it's a big step up on the quality.

Which is better? A vidpro xm-88 or the xm-55?

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IiWqNkk6L._SY355_.jpg

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wI4AZVi3L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Also a 5-on-1 light reflector is the cheapest way to improve your outdoor shots.

I've been studying cinematography out of books for the past year, studying movies for the past few years, and have learned my camera so well for the past 3 years.

I suppose that I'm set for an amateur sketch haha. But hey baby steps is all it is

I'm going to have to research that as I'm not necessarily familiar with it.

Do you mean like using those black and white "bounce cards"?

I'd say the XM-88, it gives you switchables ranges for sound recording (supercardioid and cardioid) and also can be powered via phantom, which will be useful when you buy a proper sound recording device to plug it to.

This youtube.com/watch?v=VAo-b_eN6sk
Is cheap as fuck, just get a friend to hold it.

Would you say that these are decent, affordable options? zoom h5n or TASCAM

Last piece of advice then: your first film will be shit.
Soz. There's nothing you can do about it other then hire more talented people to do everything for you. But don't be deterred! Everyone's first film is shit. It's just how it goes.
You keep going and ploughing away non-stop. And this is where the meat is separated from the chaff. Don't give up and you might eventually get somewhere.

I've been doing this for 3 years and only just got my first film into a film festival. It takes time and dedication
>inb4 someone replies that their first short won the Sundance short film competition or something

For the record everybody, I'm just an ordinary community college student. I'm shooting for UCLA and just wanna say that all this information is helping me strive towards it and build my filmmaking strength.

Yep, one XM and a zoom h5n or even zoom h4n (I don't really know about TASCAM since i've always used zoom) gets you a decent sound.

We just gotta keep sucking and sucking until our shit becomes gold.

a boy falls in love with a girl

Does it matter if I'm using something with XLR or 3.5 mm?

No matter how bad your writing is at least have engaging characters.

True.
It's more of a long distance thing. Your first film is going to be shit, your second will be less shitty, your third will be mediocre...
After years of short films I just finished my first full-length film and got selected in a film festival, the first screening is this sunday but they pay for every expense during the week. I even get the plain ticket and hotel nights. Shit's starting to get nice.

XLR is better, but if you don't have access to one, just go with the 3.5mm.
It's not terrible, but be careful with the noise, it can destroy everything if it's not well connected.

fucking nice work man
what was your budget?

is it anything Sup Forums's likely to ever watch?

Another concern I raise is on C-Stands.

I have three scoops but no stands. Is there anywhere I can go for super cheap stands?

Kek

>WOMEN DOING GRUNT WORK
LMAO WHO MADE THIS?

Haha first image I found online and after I started this thread I thought to myself "hmm imagine if there was a strong female movement and company where only female crew members were allowed to make a movie."

Monomyth or the Hero's Journey. You need at least a basic understanding of this to make any story interesting.

I only spent like 1000€, but you know, no one got paid.
Then about 300€ in fees so far, but I got selected because I met the programmer of that film festival and sent him a personal email with the vimeo link and the password.
I don't think Sup Forums will ever see it, it's quite experimental and low-budget. I'll try to aim for Sup Forums with the next one.

I just got a Zoom H6 the other day, it's fun.

That looks nice! I wouldn't know what to do with 4 input channels though.

Bumping this thread is the only way I can help. Hopefully you get all the necessary advice.