Obviously I'm speaking with some bias here, but I loved the film...

Obviously I'm speaking with some bias here, but I loved the film. Definitely one of the most rewatchable films ever and every time I see it I regret not seeing it in IMAX 3D.

I enjoyed watching the story unfold, I felt emotional at the emotional scenes, and I liked the characters a lot. This is obviously on top of the incredible soundtrack and awesome visuals that everyone mentions.

This is what I don't understand: everyone on the Internet, and most people in real life, always say this was a mediocre film because of the plot. Why? What about this plot makes it more unbelievable than any other plot of any other film?

Personally, here's how I approach a film. I read the premise. "Guy gets transported to a digital world to find his father, who was trapped there decades ago." Okay, I say to myself. That's the premise, and no matter how unbelievable it is, I will accept this premise because that's what the entire film is built upon. And nothing in the film contradicted this premise, so what was so bad about the story? What problems did everyone have with it?

The last great music video.

It was good. It had no glaring flaws other than the CG whatshisname

I never had problems with the premise. The execution felt lazy by throwing all the same things:

The movie starts off at ENCOM

MC accidentally gets brought into the computer world

MC quickly gets captured and put into the games

He escaped during the Light Cycle event

There's a scene on the Solar Sailor

Climax is at the point where information from the User comes from

For me it just came off as disappointing after the initial rush wore off. It did everything you don't want a sequel to do which is be the previous movie again. It just like what Disney is doing with Star Wars with all the constant references to the OT that are either pointless or don't make sense in context to the place and time. They missed a good opportunity to expand on the world. They tried by introducing those naturally emerging digital lifeforms, but then had them all killed off during a montage. In the end the movie could have been a lot better.

It's a flawed gem, but I do love it. it's comfy, visually/aurally stunning… a sense of deeper things going on outside the camera's purview.

Where it gets messy is where I feel Disney was wanting an all-ages sci-fi franchise to push and market, but Kosinski & Co was trying to make a more subtle and relatively-contemplative film.

It's a modern myth, really…a fractured, embittered son travels to the underworld to redeem the life & work of his father. There's the resentment and disillusionment CLU has for Flynn (Flynn's other "son"). So, in the end, CLU fails because he cannot grow or realize a reality outside how Flynn made him. He can't see beyond the no-holds-barred ambition & ego (and skewed comprehension of "perfection") Flynn had when CLU was created. Flynn is coming to grips with his own hubris, face to face—and snuffs it out by embracing it—while Sam learns to love and forgive his father. Sam carries on Flynn's legacy (in the form of his magnum opus, Quorra), and the film ends on such a bright, optimistic, human note…Quorra seeing a sunrise.

There's a lot of good redemption, tragedy, and beauty in a film that was just being pushed as a throwaway spectacle (and toy & merch line) by the production company.

I love it. I rewatch it quite often too.
Sad to read that the planned 3rd film was cancelled.

I really loved it in IMAX, went with my uncle. But it's only "okay" plot wise like Avatar. That said, I think the "soft reboot" nature hurts it because it is so similar to the original, but it felt like Disney could've done at least one more film to explore the world they'd established.

soundtrack and general atmosphere were really good

Flynn didn't make Quorra. The Isocons naturally came into being which he states during the montage of everything that happens between the two movies. He was protecting her because she was the last one. I can't remember if she knows or not for her own safety. But either way Flynn had not prepared for the Isocons coming into existence. He was just trying to build a digital world to inhabit and be use its capabilities to help humanity. But he embraced them once they emerged and saw their potential as a species that could also help humanity as they were a bridge between the two worlds of DNA based life and AI comprised of zeroes and ones.

the story was lazy in the second half and the whole bar scene with daft punk showing up was a crap action scene. the music and visuals helped the movie coast til the end, but the good action scenes and the brunt of what the movie brings to the table, an update of the tron world, is fully digested by the time quora rescues the main kid.

Yes, so in other words, Flynn's exploration led to a discovery he wasn't expecting, and leagues beyond what he ever COULD expect. Biodigital jazz, man.

Sure, you and I could get into a semantic spat here, but you're right; I should have said “in the form of [Flynn's] magnum opus, being the discovery of Quorra and the ISOs)”. Thanks.

And yes, Quorra was aware of the ISO purge, and her being the last survivor.

One of the only movies where it's acceptable to CGI the fuck out of and it was great.

Exactly this.
Saw it in theaters and spent the whole time waiting for it to be Tron 2 instead of telling you what happened in Tron 1.
I've watched it like three times because I WANT to love it, but there's absolutely nothing that interests me in it.

Love Tron in Space!

This is now a Only The Brave thread.

Sacrilege.

Have you seen it? Thoughts?
Any comfy living spaces via Kosinski's architectural/design eye?

upon rewatch, I noticed that a good chunk of the story beats are the same as the first movie. It doesn't really bother me as much, because a lot of new stuff was thrown into the mix to make it really interesting. How often do you get to see a sequel in which the main villain was something created by the original hero? And Im giving CGI Jeff Bridges a pass because he's inside The Grid for 90% of his screentime so it looks more natural.
The cinematography is fucking flawless and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.
Don't even get me started on the music, man. I still bump that OST 7 years later.
oh shit Kosinski did this one too? well now I gotta see it.

I liked it but I really would have enjoyed seeing them push it more towards being a a live action Interstella with the music being the main aspect.

It was a great movie and I could tell it was Kosinski because I've seen everything he's ever done (including the commercials) but nothing visually as strong as Oblivion or Tron.

That's great to hear. Looking forward to seeing it.

It's hot garbage.

Sorry man. We're talking about “Tron: Legacy” in this thread. Not your mom.

>its a stealth remake episode

There were a few ways to make the movie better. Dropping the lead into a vat of acid is my personal choice. making the entire movie just a music video like insterstella 5555 would've also been a nice choice. The dialogue served practically no purpose.

Better than the original.

HOMEWORK IS BETTER