I've never heard of Lasagna Cat until today. I've watched all of them and, well, is Jim Davis a talentless hack...

I've never heard of Lasagna Cat until today. I've watched all of them and, well, is Jim Davis a talentless hack? These are almost CAD tier.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA
youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=3wFnNB6ra3o
theincomparable.com/ump/28/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's called cherrypicking, user.

The question is....

Where's my purse?

Jim Davis is a businessman who built his business around merchandising a marketable cartoon mascot.

He hasn't actually worked on the strip in close to 20 years.

oh no

I'M USING THE CAT BRUSH

YOU DON'T

NEED TO

Gee...

"I ate it." is a standard response in my group of friends when something goes missing

These people made the old spice ads.

BAILAMOS!

NO, SEÑOR

youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA

C A L L T H E N U M B E R

T H E. N U M B E R

I did but I'm a coward and stayed silent.

dude just tell em your name and how many people you fucked thats it

That's not really true. You're thinking of Eric Fensler who did the GI Joe spoofs, and even then, he wasn't responsible for the bulk of the Old Spice ads.

>is Jim Davis a talentless hack?
Making money was always his goal. I remember the US Acres strips being kinda good though.

nice b8 m8

>when you see it..

Its very uninteresting humor. There's nothing stand out or risky about it, its just mildly humorous situations. That being said, Lasagna Cat and Garfield Minus Garfield are works of art.

I have some collections of strips from the late 70s and 80s. Seems they were a little more interesting and fully then.

Don't forget Garfielf youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhJjXl9Rk

>cat

>nothing stand out or risky about it
there's a strip where Jon drinks a cup of dog cum

Just because you have one risky comic doesn't mean the god knows how many hundred others aren't wholesome mild comedy.

That was back when Davis was still drawing them himself, though. Guy's sitting on top of a merchandising juggernaut now, with a team of people under him who do the actual strips.

He's on record as loving Garfield minus Garfield, fwiw

Wait what?
Post it

I've never understood why Garfield attracts such rabid loathing. It's lame, but it's a newspaper comic. What newspaper comics aren't lame? I've unironically smiled at more than a few Garfield strips, which is more than i can say for most of them like Blondie, Hi and Lois, etc.

So, how many sexual partners have you had, Sup Forums?

>Jim Davis a talentless hack?

Isn't it obvious?

>What newspaper comics aren't lame?
Calvin and Hobbes.

That's a pretty funky dance, Garfield!

E
MERGE

FROM NOTHING

_0

I would get why someone like Bill Watterson or Berke Breathed has some contempt for Garfield. That's actually believable. But a lot of times there's what amounts to professional internet snarkers who jump on an easy target in an attempt to be "funny". And they can be funny, at first. But what I've noticed over the decade is that most of the time they inevitably become less funny than a Garfield comic.

>Lasagna Cat is making new videos after nearly a decade
Holy shit what triggered this?

Run Time 78 mins.

IMDB

Will we get a crossover film between lasagna cat and Garfielf?

>had a good job interview today
>got a nice coin in the mail
>now learn Lasagna Cat is coming back after all these years
Today was a good day

For the life of me I cannot find the Jim Davis picture that they use maybe because I'm a retard.

How cucked will you will when this 'trailer' turns out actually to be the whole thing?

This is the highest resolution of it I can find.

>tfw Jon has had more sex than you

>youtube verified
They're definitely planning something big, we'll just have to wait to see what it turns out to be.

Garfield was aggressively, VERY aggressively merchandised. It's actually pretty amazing the empire Jim Davis built on one of those shitty newspaper cartoons. So it's not the fact that it's a bad webcomic, it's the fact that it's a bad webcomic that's made itself a fucking institution. Sure, something like Heathcliff is absolutely a worse comic but nobody knows about Heathcliff, while everyone knows about Garfield.

>it's not the fact that it's a bad webcomic, it's the fact that it's a bad webcomic that's made itself a fucking institution
Hey, we're talking Garfield here, not Penny Arcade. Drop that "web" talk.

I'm so unused to the idea of reading comics in a newspaper that I automatically put that in. I'm amazed they're still printing them down, actually. Surely the geriatrics who still read the funnies must be dying off by now.

You don't understand.

Garfief is KING of the Sundae Funnies.

>What newspaper comics aren't lame?
Sup Forums before swine.

Davis stopped caring a long time ago, a lot of the more common Garfield strips were made by ghost writers. The last time he cared was in the 90's.

AMIGO ES

BAILA GATO

HEAD LIKE A HOLE

youtube.com/watch?v=3wFnNB6ra3o
the chick they had as Liz was cute.

It's weird how in modern times Garfield is seen as the poster boy for "selling out," but historically, Jim Davis buying his brand back from the newspapers that owned it and building his own self-owned empire around it is the ultimate story of artist independence and personal success.

When I think about's Bill Watterson's refusal to have Calvin & Hobbes merchandise I like to think it was exclusively because of Garfield.

too bad about the bootleg trucker stickers, that shit caught on like wildfire.
To this day i can still see cars on the street with that logo of Calvin peeing.

Seems to be an overreaction on his part. And so many people deciding that Jim Davis was the worst on Watterson's behalf feels like an even worse overreaction. Regardless of the comic's quality, Davis's "selling out" was of the same sort as many cartoonists from that era and before. He was just the last dude who was truly successful at it.

Honestly I think Garfield is so ingrained in people's minds from such a young age that people don't realize how appealing it really is.

Like you may call Jim Davis a hack, but you know the "I hate mondays" catchphrase. Any time you've derived humor from Garfield's catchphrases, even ironically, that's thanks to Jim Davis. Even something like Lasagna Cat and Garfield Minus Garfield are sources of humor indirectly made possible by Davis' work. Davis knows this and that's why he encourages parody of Garfield.

>Davis knows this and that's why he encourages parody of Garfield.
Davis actually seems like a pretty cool guy honestly.

I had a Garfield alarm clock for a while as a kid

Honestly it wasn't just Garfield. Back when he and Berke Breathed were writing to each other on a regular basis, they sent each other cartoons making fun of each other. Breathed shared a comic Watterson made in which he lampooned Breathed's love of power boating needing to be funded by getting the characters merchandised.

Yeah OP remember that run from Feb-April 1993 when Garfield got an abortion? What the fuck, Davis.

to me what ingrained Garfiel in my childhood was the tv movies and the 90's animated series. If it wasn't for those, Garfield would still be a big hit but only in newspapers and not in the blobal scale he was at his peak.
Hell some of the old movies still stand surprisingly well on their own like Garfiel: his 9 lives and Garfield's Babes and Bullets.

C A T B R U S H

>Regardless of the comic's quality, Davis's "selling out" was of the same sort as many cartoonists from that era and before.

This is actually true, a lot of comic strips do what Davis does and uses ghost assistants. It's a tradition that goes as far back at least to whenever it was Mutt and Jeff got successful to the point Bud Fisher could go traveling in Europe while his staff cranked out the comics. Frank Frazetta ghosted for Al Capp on Lil Abner at one point, Jules Ffeiffer, Wally Wood, and others ghosted for Will Eisner in the later years of the comic (though Eisner was still involved in overseeing stuff).

This is probably why it took so long to acknowledge creator credit in comic books, because they were done with the same mentality as the comic strip industry and at the time the comic strip industry was more highly regarded than the comic book industry. Even today I think there are some comic book artists that sometimes have paid uncredited assistants. At one point I think there was a talent search to look for a background artist assistant for Jim Lee.

You have to wonder about how many comic cliches/archetypes/tropes are directly derivative of Garfield's influence.

I mean, whenever I see snarky animal/non-human sidekicks, I think of Garfield.

I feel this type of lovercraftian horror is more effective with Marmaduke than Garfield.

>YOU WERE A DOG ONCE! A DOG!

Wasn't there an edit strip that was actually in a Garfield movie?

>tfw haven't read the funnies in over a decade
I miss reading them with my dad

It was this one, Mega Satan.

Oh wait whoops

>Garfiel: his 9 lives
this was based on a book
Davis hired several artists and they told 9 stories with different artwork each time
the movie adaptation cut out the most insane one, The Primal Self (it's so... outstanding that it's the only story out of the book that you can find online)

Remember, Jon's cartooning style is Jim Davis's cartooning style making Jon a hyperrealist cartoonist in-universe.

An interesting podcast about how Garfield is unjustly hated.

theincomparable.com/ump/28/

garfielf memes

I love when sanitized, censored, bland newspaper comics go completely fucking bonkers for one strip.