New Super-Man #8

>New Super-Man #8

OK, that was one of the most mindblowing things I've ever read.

Is there any chance that the final page of this doesn't end up being the page of the year?

Fuck, the only other page this DECADE that I can think of that was better was the final page of Dark Knight III #5.

We need to talk about this issue, because this was seriously "Issue Of The Year" material and it flew under everyone's radar. And this is coming from someone who was lukewarm on the first 7 issues of this series. But seriously, this one just blew the rest of the series out of the water. If Morrison did an issue like this Sup Forums would not be able to shut up about it and we'd still be making threads flipping out over it days, if not weeks, later.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_Mud_Horse
boards.Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu_10_Mythical_Creatures
youtube.com/watch?v=T2Fl3q5gZNc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post the page?

It's mind blowing, but pure shock value won't elevate the material, even if it was one fo the rare actually shocking returns in modern comics.

>"Issue Of The Year"
Dude, we still in February. Calm down.

And it was already talked about enough in the storytime. The book is good and this issue was interesting, but let's wait and see what he is going to do with it.

It was great. The whole Tiagram sequence was mindblowing and puts the idea of Superman in a uniquely Chinese perspective.

Yang's really got a good thing going.

Why? Shock value? What the fuck happened?

The storytime of the issue is still up in the archives for a few more hours:

The final page is a MASSIVE SPOILER.

See:

At the very least, this is almost guaranteed to be one of the best SUPERHERO issues of the year.

Just for the last page? I liked Kenan part, but the sub plot with Bat-man was pretty meh.

The issue overall was exceptional. The sub-plot might have been weaker than the main plot, but it doesn't really matter when the main plot was so strong and the sub-plot only took up a few pages anyway.

Everything with Keenan was fucking next level shit. The qi shit, the scene with the truck, etc., and the ending was probably one of the most unpredictable in comics history.

>Just for the last page?
Yes, we are in the meme age of comics.

This is seriously one of the best books DC is putting out right now. I hope when it inevitably gets cancelled that they restart it as Justice League of China.

Don't count on it.

BUMP

>Everything with Keenan was fucking next level shit. The qi shit, the scene with the truck, etc., and the ending was probably one of the most unpredictable in comics history
Why Sup Forums love overhyping? This book is one of my favorites from Rebirth, but I still don't think it deserves this praise.

Give an example of a better current book.

I said in the OP that I'm not even really all that into this series. This new issue was just utterly exceptional though.

holy fuck can you make it more obvious you are a shill. nobody cares about this retarded superman just cancel this comic already.

Carolfag triggered.

is it also sold in china?

It's anti Chinese government, so I doubt it.

>DC's very first cover was a villain
>Marvel's very first cover was a hero

Really gets the noggins going.

>DC's very first cover was a villain
Adventure Comics predates Tec. And even then it wasn't the first DC comic publication.

This is good, but it still feels a little off compared to Yang's previous work, and a little shonen-esque. I wish Yang gets to do something a bit more experimental and out of Berganza's control.

>but it still feels a little off compared to Yang's previous work

Why? It's pretty similar with American Born Chinese

How is American Born Chinese comparable to a cape comic?

There's one thing I'm not grasping about the last issue.

Why an Alpaca?

I only read the 3 first issues and the last page of this issue. I understand nuffin, OP.

Just fucking read it user.
Also that's not the last page

And now?

I think someone said in the original storytime thread that it's some kind of Chinese meme

Well for one that's only one part. Go read the 5 other issues and stop being lazy.

That part in particular is the cover of Detective Comics #1 recreated and I'd the first ever Detective Comics villain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_Mud_Horse

It's graffiti'd on a wall in one of the earlier issues too.

In China theres the internet meme 'Grass Mud Horse', which can also be read as 'fuck your mother', which is used to mock the government's censorship. An Alpaca is often used to represent this 'horse'.

I only read the #8 issue in the archived thread linked in this thread and its kinda cool

Not trying to start shit, but inevitably starting, someone must have pointed to New Super-Man as doing radical change and diversity much better than anything at Marvel to Spencer when he goes on his autistic rants, right? What was his response?

Here's the panel btw

I'm sure he'd brush it off by saying that it doesn't count because they're not integrated with the other heroes or something and thus their race is being downplayed. Or some similar bullshit. No point in actually bothering with him.

Wait.
This thing is a deliberately made Chinese version of Pepe.

I thought it was pro-chinese government, just that both sides of a clumsy, stumbling-into-it super hero fight are fighting for the same goal: peace in China.
I thought the art style played us perfectly, setting us up to get whacked with the last page.
The batman sub plot was great, because there's a ton of batman lore for new players to careen around in like they're playing bumper cars. Every new character under the bat-section could be any one of a dozen Batman characters. So who was the challenger batman? Azrael? The Joker? Zazzaz? Red Hood?
As for the "omg this is the biggest reverse in comics" history dorks, it's a surprize, yeah, and a 70-year callback, but no more then half the stuff they did in 51 with Egg Fu Yung and Science Island. Personally, I hope they don't "politically correct" the "me so solly" or whatever you call it -ness of the 1950s chinese guy. Downplay it a little, skip the intolerably worst of it to get it more palatable, but not entirely remove the World War 1 or 2 era theme of him. It's probably Fu Manchu or something.

Well this whole book is being written by someone who is actually aware of modern chinese culture especially internet culture which is it's own ecosphere of memes

Honestly I found the Hypercrisis shit way more interesting than the reveal. That whole the S was always there thing was legitimately crazy.

"You have no life" or something like that.

>Is there any chance that the final page of this doesn't end up being the page of the year?

At the very least, Grant Morrison had a immense, spontaneous orgasm when he heard about it.

Here's the thing - the artist, Yang? Suuuuuper smart. Like the guy is legitimately very, very knowledgeable about both history and how pop culture works.

>Gene Luen Yang (Chinese Traditional: 楊謹倫, Simplified: 杨谨伦,[1] Pinyin: Yáng Jǐnlún; born August 9, 1973)[2] is an Asian-American cartoonist. He is a frequent lecturer on the subjects of graphic novels and comics, at comic book conventions and universities, schools, and libraries.[3] In addition, he was the Director of Information Services and taught computer science at Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland, California.[4] In 2012, Yang joined the faculty at Hamline University, as a part of the Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults (MFAC) program.[3] In 2016, the U.S. Library of Congress named him Ambassador for Young People’s Literature.[5] That year he became the third graphic novelist, alongside Lauren Redniss, to receive the MacArthur Fellowship.[6]

>not spoilering this

nigga...

I hope they always draw him with these fucked up proportions.

There's an interview where they discuss how they tried a few redesigns, but none of them felt right, so they stuck to the Yellow Peril look.

Was this the page with the fu manchu guy or am I confused

>fu manchu guy
Ching Lung is his name.

Ching Lung's reintroduction has guaranteed that this book will get 18 issues at least just because DC will have to see through the story line now. They can't just drop this from the backlash. If word of mouth is good they will relaunch it. It strikes me as the Rebirth era's JL3000

They are. It's the whole point

Who fucking cares what Nick Spencer thinks? I'm not even reading Marvel anymore so he's nobody to me

Also I could swear he frequents Sup Forums or at least the storytimes

I think a lot of creators visit Sup Forums but Sup Forums as a whole has a stigma so they could never mention it

Niceee

I also like thay Chinese Superman takes place in China and that the story is good, I've been learning a bunch of interesting stuff too while reading (like the Chinese meme).

You know if Marvel had made this comic the main character would have been a Chinese American living in New York/New Jersey/Queens andit would read like Squirrel Girl or Nu Hellcat, glad that isn't the case.

Pretty sure every creator has at least once.

Maybe not Morrison we are beneath him probably uses 5th dimensional internet or something.

DC comics and American comics in general are not sold in China nor in general east Asia at all until trade release.

>Smug Chinese Man and his Cock.jpg

Morrison has stated he doesn't use the internet much at all. He's actually a bit of a luddite in his life.

I remember on twitter Camstew and Fairbairn were talking about the chronological Pax storytime we came up with.

Important to remember the book was Jim Lee's idea too so there's editorial support already for it.

Though I doubt he saw it being this deep. Probably just assumed it would be a Chinese version of the Rocket Reds in the long run.

He rips off Moore down to that detail?

>Pax storytime
The what now? I don't know anything about that, Sup Forums or Camstew versions.

Sup Forums attempted to post the scenes from Pax Americana in chronological order when the issue came out.

Camstew is Cameron Stewart. He worked on that meme Babsgirl run but has collaborated with Morrison multiple times before and drew the Thunderworld one-shot. He was talking about the storytime on twitter with the colorist of the issue.

Sup Forums is all about extremes. They shit too much on stuff that doesn't deserve that much negativity and praise good stuff as the best thing to ever grace the Earth.

I still have the chronological edit of it.

Do you have the image that let's you see everypage at once?

What in the fuck? There's no way that would fit in a single image on Sup Forums.

Here's an image for ants version.

Reminder that if you don't read Pax in the shape of an 8 you're reading it wrong

Storytime where? Storytime storytime storytime?

boards.Sup Forums.org/co/archive

ctrl+f for it, there was a golden age storytime posted in the thread as well

While the last page is getting a lot of attention rightfully, this revelation was what hit it home for me. It was a 10/10 issue without the callback already.

What happened in Dark Knight III?

And now we know the order of his powers:
>Belly
Invulnerability
>Hand
Strength
>Ear
Hearing
>Thigh (Penetrating)
X-ray vision
>Foot (Inciting movement)
Speed
>Eye (Light giving)
Laser eyes
>Mouth
Ice breath
>Head (Heaven/Sky)
Flight

Why Alpaca? I'm not knowledgeable on Chinese memes.

It kind of reminds me of how dumb we all felt when that first guy realized the multiverse map was a rose. Like we probably should have seen it at some point ourselves given how deep those hypercrisis threads went.

But of course that's secondary to the whole "the S was literally there the whole time, what the fuck" feeling.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu_10_Mythical_Creatures

>I only read the 3 first issues and the last page of this issue. I understand nuffin, OP.
No shit, you missed out on the first arc's climax with the Chinese Freedom Fighters and Kenan's dad.

Also that guy was from the final arc New 52 Superman had when he was dying. He was basically the prototype Chinese superman that came before Kenan but broke out of confinement when Superman and the Great 10 found him.

Threads have found Hypercrisis in DNA, an atom, a rose and chakra. But this passed by everyone.

I feel silly for having once preferred the concept art Kenan shield.

THIS is how you do an ethnic legacy character right in superhero comics.
Him being Chinese adds a ton to the story, and the writer being Chinese lets him get away with shit a white dude would get crucified for (namely the page OP is talking about).
The whole thing genuinely feels like how China's culture and government would react to an age of superheroes.
Also Chinese Supes and Batman are fun.

See:

>X-ray vision is next

I hope Deilan has prepared herself for the inevitable.

>learning X-Ray vision from a blind man

>mfw that last page

H Y P E R C R I S I S

What are some essential Chinese mythology, religion, and literature that I should read in preparation for incoming issues?

Okay okay, what is New Superman? Is he like blessed (by science) with "super genes" or just another Chinese knock off?

Journey to the West (it gets adapted all the time) and maybe Romance of the Three Kingdoms

He has the qi of dead Superbro.

Play one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games by Koei. You can basically stab lords and shit in the back after rising in ranks.

China wants their own western style superhero team so they plagiarize the West (again).
This comes into conflict with The Great Ten (China's first superhero team, they are based on mythology) get annoyed because they hate how their country is reduced to copying the West while the government sees them outdated. Kenan Kong gets selected by the Chinese ministry of Self Reliance and goes through an experiment giving him Superbro's powers (though he can only maintain one at a time).
He's cocky, brash, and reveals his identity to the world early on.

youtube.com/watch?v=T2Fl3q5gZNc

He's a knock off, but that's why he's great!

Siiiiiiick

Superman
Batman
Green Arrow