/trek/-Smug Sulu Edition

Why are the only pilots that aren't total douchebags the ensigns on TNG? The black guy from ENT is OK, I guess, but I fucking hate Paris and Sulu is kind of gay.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/7ev1xc/holodeck_contradictions_potential_spoilers/
youtube.com/watch?v=AwQiNBVm5uo
youtube.com/watch?v=mn2tZMk62sY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for Picard is a war criminal

Star Trek Discovery is a way for CBS to purposely ruin the franchise so they don't have to deal with incessant nagging from the "core fans" for the next 15 years.

HOLODECKS
Holodecks
HOLODECKS
Holodecks
HOLODECKS

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/7ev1xc/holodeck_contradictions_potential_spoilers/

>My point was no trials in Star Trek make sense. I'm completely ok with that.

What about the trial for that romulan kid in maccarthyism in space?
Or the time they put that con-artist pretending to be the devil on trial?
Or that time Q put the crew of the enterprise on trial for the crimes of all of humanity?
Or the kangaroo court trial the klingons have for Kirk and McCoy in star trek 6 where Michael Dorn is their defence attorney?
Or any cardassian trials?

If mental illness is cured in the 24th century how do you explain Barclay?

Why are low-quality posts often accompanied by Unix timestamp filenames?

>it's an Icheb and/or Mezoti episode

Barclay, like Wesley, is the next phase in the development of humanity. Wesley is Harry Potter, Barclay is Neville Longbottom.

It was cured in the 23rd, by the 24th they decided the method was unethical and hadn't come up with a new one.

>Why are low-quality posts often accompanied by Unix timestamp filenames?

What?

One eye on Q one eye on the streets

Or the Nuremberg trial episode of Tom's Parisian Chop Shop?
Or that time they got a trial version of the new LCARS menu system then 30 days later in a life/death situation the ship shut down because they didn't begin paying $15/mo to the daystrom estate?

Can you even begin to imagine how godlike your math had to be to pilot a starship? Yes, computers do a lot of it, but it's still mandatory to know your shit without comps in order to graduate the Academy.

Starship pilots, especially for Galaxy class and larger, are math pimps, the Chad's of all numbers.

I'm starting to get annoyed whenever anyone uses the Holodeck. I just can't stop thinking about all the plot holes, the unbelievable decisions that people make, the fact that it's possible for the technology to work flawlessly while not responding to controls because of some major spatial anomaly, there's so much about the Holodeck that doesn't make even a little bit of sense. And then there's the fucking Doctor. They put a bunch of EMHs in a cave system to mine dilithium or something, but they can't set up holoprojectors around Voyager? Actually, we know that they CAN and DO do this--in that episode with the Hirogen, we see it done, it's the entire plot--and no amount of handwaving can make me believe that there is some reason that makes sense diegetically NOT to have done this before. And the mobile emitter almost never malfunctions; when it does, they can fix it, no problem. It's even more unbelievable than Geordi's ability to operate on Data's positronic brain without actually being a cybernetics genius like Singh was. Why the fuck can't they make more Datas? Why the fuck can't Data experience emotions but Moriarty can? If a Holodeck replicates matter on demand, why can't the replicate and android? Why does that replicated matter lose cohesion when it leaves the Holodeck if it's replicated, rather than projected? Who decided that the Holodeck was a good idea?
The Nuremberg episode did a better job of portraying the ethical and technical dilemmas involved in the production and propagation of revisionist history than anything else I've seen.

Computer, place a destination portal behind that lassie's arse eh? Wat do?

>i'm a reddit gold contributer
>i post reddit links, so they are quality posts

Explain

>low-quality
I asked a salient question, as opposed to spamming bad MS paint pictures, reposting Gates MacFadden tweets, or going 127 posts deep about not understanding transporters.

he's trying to besmirch us for posting pics we got from Sup Forums, yeah nobody does that

Who's to say he's ill? Maybe that's how humans are supposed to be and he is one of only a few normal people on earth.

are you asking why people post images with Sup Forums filenames?

Sisko caca

Daystrom did duotronics, not LCARS.

You apologize RIGHT NOW or I'm going to kill you and donate your organs to every hospital in your area and then I'll use the Tuvix Defense when I go to trial and the jury will declare me Not Guilty.

IT WAS REAL. IN MY MIND

You can't use this pasta anymore.

In the TOS pilot there'ssome aliens who have developed what is basically holodeck technology they can project with their minds. It caused their species to become addicted to chillin in the holodeck to the point where they were completely useless. They warn Kirk that if humans ever got ahold of a similar technology the same thing would happen to them.

Basically what I'm saying is my biggest problem with the holodeck is that everyone who comes in contact with it doesn't immediatly transform into a holoaddicted recluse like barclay

Make way for the best character in Star Trek.

People said the same thing in the thirties about televisions

HE A GOOD BOY HE DINDY NUFFIN

That isn't the Doctor.

The trial never ends, /trek/.

watching with a quasi-critical eye,U simply cannot take the concept of the Holodeck seriously anymore.
At first I started making my Holodeck posts as a joke ("Why don't they call it X instead of a Holodeck? The name is misleading") but I'm starting to get annoyed whenever anyone uses the Holodeck. I just can't stop thinking about all the plot holes, the unbelievable decisions that people make, the fact that it's possible for the technology to work flawlessly while not responding to controls because of some major spatial anomaly, there's so much about the Holodeck that doesn't make even a little bit of sense. And then there's the fucking Doctor. They put a bunch of EMHs in a cave system to mine dilithium or something, but they can't set up holoprojectors around Voyager? Actually, we know that they CAN and DO do this--in that episode with the Hirogen, we see it done, it's the entire plot--and no amount of handwaving can make me believe that there is some reason that makes sense diegetically NOT to have done this before. And the mobile emitter almost never malfunctions; when it does, they can fix it, no problem. It's even more unbelievable than Geordi's ability to operate on Data's positronic brain without actually being a cybernetics genius like Singh was. Why the fuck can't they make more Datas? Why the fuck can't Data experience emotions but Moriarty can? If a Holodeck replicates matter on demand, why can't the replicate and android? Why does that replicated matter lose cohesion when it leaves the Holodeck if it's replicated, rather than projected? Who decided that the Holodeck was a good idea?

Good answers. Now do these

they weren't right?

I had an for about an episode of a group of people in Starfleet that attempt to worship Q. Might be worth a shot, right?

This nigga has NOTHING to do all fucking day but think up this shit to try to troll newfag redditors.

They were right though. Television, the internet and now smartphones are each addictive and are causing humans to become less productive and less happy. Just because society didn't outright collapse doesn't mean these things aren't bad.

You may think that but you're wrong

The majority of the populace isn't enslaved televisi....
My GOD.

Real high-quality post there, my Unix timestamp filename friend.

He's like a Q with all of his powers taken away, but his prankster instincts kept perfectly in tact

user who's been watching DS9 for the first time here. Finally in the closing stretch, halfway through season 7. I can't tell if I love or hate what they've done with Dukat's character - always teasing bits of humanity or redeemable qualities and then having him flip back to being assured in his evil ways. And now I guess he got mindfucked by a space ghost into becoming Jim Jones.

shitposter, tell me about your autism

>Reminder that this shitty Akira ripoff reeked of dog piss and shit
youtube.com/watch?v=AwQiNBVm5uo

>autism
That's a conservative estimate if I've ever seen one.

Dukat only turned full evil because he killed Jadzia.

He only killed Jadzia because Rick Berman forced Jadzia to leave the show.

As with everything else in life, blame Rick Berman.

>always teasing bits of humanity or redeemable qualities
That's because he's actually just a very well-written narcisist. He abuses his power to maneuver himself into positions where he can look like the sympathetic good guy. The moment he sees he can't win peoples affection he resorts to violence.

Attention Bajoran shitposters!
I fucked your mother with a robot programmed using Linux!
That is all!

Are the things themselves bad, or are the people that fall victim sub standard?

You said yourself that society didn't collapse. There are people who can resist the siren song. Is this simply the new form evolution is taking; those not enslaved by the ubiquitous gadgetry being the one's fit to survive and flourish while the slack jawed australopithices are mired in welfare, foodstamps and overall mediocrity?

Well he is god after all

>As with everything else in life, blame Rick Berman.
You're opinion is shit and you're a pleb. Only plebs with bad opinions dislike the guy who put the pillow over Roddenberry's head back in '91

I will literally repost this in every /trek/ thread until STD is cancelled

Do you think he posts in these threads?

How can mental illness be cured if it doesn't even exist in the first place?

I do like his complex with wanting the Bajorans to love him, and having it not just be him loving Kira specifically. When he gives his whole speech to Kira and she's like "my god you really believe that" was a good moment to see just how far gone he is.

Then of course it turns out he wasn't planning to die with his cult, which was also nice. Dukat is hard to figure out.

>A guy who only exists because his photons are bound by forcefields writes a book called Photons Be Free
Bad title, desu. Perfect episode.

Rick Berman is Lawful Evil

Hes literally the shitposter.

I hate Tom Paris. I want to punch him in the fucking smirk. He's a total piece of garbage. I don't know why people think Neelix is objectively the worst character on this show. He at least tries to keep people's morale up. All Tom does is activate the autopilot when he wants to look cool and tinker around with spaceships and cars. He probably has a tiny dick. B'elanna probably pegs him and makes him wear dresses.

>the guy who put the pillow over Roddenberry's head back in '91
If only Star Wars fans had been so lucky
youtube.com/watch?v=mn2tZMk62sY

>slack jawed australopithices
Oh hey, it's you again.

You should have a hyphen between "slack" and "jawed". And while I'm at it, you should write "substandard" or "sub-standard", not "sub standard". And you shouldn't have that apostrophe in "one's".

>you and 150 other jem'hadar and feddies are trying to infiltrate an iconian outpost taken over by rogue jem'hadar
>one of your soldiers picks a fight with worf so you break his neck and now you're down one more man

Wow, that made no sense. Thanks Weyoun!

I just take the extra step to ensure quality and you should too

See I would have thought he would like beer pong.

New phone, I haven't configured the autocorrect yet

The sacrifice never ends, Doctor.

>people are sub-standard
>social dawrinism
>he's a Sup Forums shitposter complaining about mediocrity in others

You have more excuses than Dukat. Now you forgot to end your post with a period.

Takes one to know one, I guess.

And it's backpedal, not backpeddle

>all Kira had to do was not take the bait
>she couldn't because she knew it was true

Person who shoops this best wins

That still doesn't explain what Armus had to do with the Caretaker.

I couldn't help but notice this filename is that of a Unix timestamp. What a cohen-cidence!

Mea culpa padre

>calls someone a caveman
>types worse than one
WEe - R - /tR-Ek/

klingon titties incoming

Was that one Vorta in the crash-land/stranding episode Elijah Wood?

No it was Joan Cusack

Let's say a friend of yours wants to watch ONE episode of Trek. They've never seen any of it before, not even the movies. They don't care what series it's from, they only want to see the one singular best episode. What do you recommend?

I've noticed this guy has a tendency to just put spaces between prefixes and words

Any Q episode

The Inner Light

>O beautiful for spacious skies,
>For amber waves of grain,
>For purple mountain majesties
>Above the fruited plain!
>America! America!
>God shed His grace on thee
>And crown thy good with brotherhood
>From sea to shining sea!

My friend and I in the living room. My friend and I on the couch. The television with Darmok. My friend with Darmok. My friend with Star Trek.

>miles holding a grill lighter.bmp

You nailed your trekkie friend Darmok on the living room couch?

Darmok and chill.

>With Star Trek

My "friend", his mouth wide

Cause and Effect

Cause and Effect

How do you calling your cat ?

Kinky.

Playing god