Macbeth (2015)

Is this movie worth watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/
youtube.com/watch?v=kGwtchkiPiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I loved it.

The imagery, the themes displayed by the director, everything was lovely.

The worst thing out of it is Marion Cotillard.

Yes.

the best pleb filter of 2015

The cinematography is beautiful but the acting is some of the worst I've ever seen in an adaptation of Shakespeare.

This. Overall though it was fantastic and certainly worth a watch. The soundtrack is great too.

Related: Is coriolanus any good?

The acting in Romeo & Juliet was super artificial. I don't blame the actors though.

>the acting is some of the worst I've ever seen in an adaptation of Shakespeare.
Did you forget Romeo + Juliet and the fact that Keanu tried to do Shakespeare?

Should I read the play before watching the film or it's not needed?

I mean, I am not a good english speaker: I don't think I understand that English

Oh god don't remind me about that shit, Baz Luhrmann might be the worst thing ever to happent to cinema.

If it's this film, yes. You will get absolutely no understanding of the plot or character from the dialogue. If you really don't want to read the play then watch an adaptation where the actors actually know what the fuck they're saying, like the one with Patrick Stewart.

The Roman Polanski one is better, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make it look like 300.

fpbp

It would be a good idea to read up on the plot to get a general understanding, especially if English is not your native language. It doesn't need to be the play itself necessarily.

It's pretty tedious. Fassbender is good but the movie takes itself WAY too seriously. Shakespeare infused a lot of dark humor into MacBeth and there's none of that here, it's all grimdark and dirty and bleak. Visuals are great but it's not a great adaptation.

I feel like i would have liked it if i could understand what the fuck they were saying.

I know some bits of the story: Macbeth is a general for the scottish king, then he meets some witches who say he will be king, his wife preassures him to be king, he becomes king, cam't decide over some stuff, anothe guys want to be king, his wife keeps preassuring him, the Sound and Fury speech, and then everybody dies

We Angles use SparkNotes.

sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/

this

The Polanski one is better but IMO it's still not great. Again, takes itself too seriously and suffers from some very wooden acting.

fassbender is good, macduff is good

the battle scenes and the vision sequences are really well done, music is also excellent

the stabbing scene is pure kino

>Is this movie worth watching?

Not really. From a Shakespeare perspective, there are better options. From a fictionalised Scottish pseudo-historical movie standpoint, there are again better options.

>Genre is tragedy
>takes itself too seriously

mate..

>fictionalised Scottish pseudo-historical movie standpoint, there are again better options

like?

He's going to say Braveheart and he's wrong.

During the Renaissance the only generic difference between comedy and tragedy was the ending had to be happy or sad respectively. As the other user said there is plenty of humour to be found in his tragedies just as there is bitterness to be found in the comedies.

But he's right, and if you knew anything about Shakespeare you'd realize that. There are parts of all his tragedies that are funny as fuck, and there's none of that here, it's just a slog to get through. Just because something is a "tragedy" doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

It's certainly not bad but the Polanski version and Throne of Blood are both superior

Why are film embryos always so insecure when they watch non-blockbusters? What the fuck is the point of asking if it's okay for you to watch another macbeth movie? Just goddamn watch it or don't.
>b-b-but I wanted opinions!
Before you watched it and formed your own? Go to the bone store and ask for a spine.

I'm a literal brainlet but I loved the fuck out of this film. I mean it's Macbeth line for line. I was watching with other people so I couldn't exactly rewind, so I missed a lot of shit due to the language. Still a fantastic film. I really need to rewatch it.

it looks great but that's about it. for some dumb reason they decided to have everyone whisper their lines, which is fucking stupid when you're doing shakespeare.

What's better?
This or the Playboy version?

This is true but the movie went with the PTSD angle so I can understand why they were kind of hesitant to have too much real humor. That being said, I thought I remembered a few funnier lines left in but I haven't seen it in a while.

Braveheart, for all its smarmy sentimentality, is 10 times the movie this one is.

Or maybe we don't got so much free time to spend watching all the movies we ever considered?

This.
Shakespeare's Macbeth > Braveheart > this movie adaption of Macbeth

What is the best Shakespeare adaptation?
The Merchant of Venice with Jeremy Irons and Al Pacino was nice.

Do I need to be an English native speaker to truly appreciate it? This is apparentally a full adaptation

Didn't they pull this from most cinemas before it's release? For some reason.

This.

The people who gave this movie great reviews are the ones who've never seen a proper adaptation of Shakespeare in their lives.

yes

Branagh's Hamlet, easily. Kozintsev also did some good arthouse ones. Most of the 'Hollywood' Shakespeares are shit.

There's no way you can properly appreciate Shakespeare without a solid and ideally native understanding of English, however I'd watch it anyway because it's so good.

They forgot to call it the Scottish play behind the scenes and didn't want bad luck.

Yes because the beach/castle scenes were filmed near me

It's very good. And I'll probably get flamed out of this thread for saying it, but despite it being heavily abridged the Zeferelli version with Mel Gibson is one of my fave adaptations. Highly underrated.

Also fun fact it's the longest film ever released to cinemas in the US or UK.

this

The "another guy who wants to be king" is the son of the king Macbeth killed.

"Everybody dies" - you're thinking of Hamlet.

The ironic thing about Macbeth is that even though it's the most infamous of his bloody tragedies there are relatively few deaths.

Throne of Blood is better

The movie is amazing.

Great cinematography.

Fantastic music.

Great acting, which was intentional in its flavor, the idea being not to over dramatize which is the way stage plays are usually performed. Just subdued, paralytically and pathetically delving into insanity.

Loved it.

The only downside? It is slow, and most would thus consider it boring.

youtube.com/watch?v=kGwtchkiPiE

There you go, saved you 3 hours.

Yeah the mumbling was fucking atrocious, I'd rather hear a proper voiceover of that

Literally every single line is mumbled. Very strange decision imo.

Watch the Polenaski instead.

>Polenaski
Is this some strange pun or are you shit at spelling

MACDUFF
What three things does drink especially provoke?

PORTER
Marry, sir, nose-painting, sleep, and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes and unprovokes. It provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance. Therefore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator with lechery. It makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and disheartens him; makes him stand to and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.

Yes for the pure cinematographic aspect of it.

No for the plot, since its not exactly a new story.

the keys are like right next to each other

The absolute state of this board