Fantastic Beasts Director David Yates Defends Not Firing Johnny Depp

When Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them hit theaters, the introduction of Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindelwald came shortly after allegations of domestic abuse against the actor by his now-ex-wife Amber Heard. With the focus on the next movie in the Harry Potter series centering on Grindelwald, some fans thought Warner Bros. might recast the role, rather than moving forward with Depp.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, David Yates says, "Honestly there's an issue at the moment where there's a lot of people being accused of things, they're being accused by multiple victims, and it's compelling and frightening. With Johnny, it seems to me there was one person who took a pop at him and claimed something. I can only tell you about the man I see every day: He's full of decency and kindness, and that's all I see. Whatever accusation was out there doesn't tally with the kind of human being I've been working with."

Yates considers the matter a "dead issue," continuing, "By testament, some of the women in [Depp's] life have said the same thing--that's not the human being we know. It's very different [than cases] where there are multiple accusers over many years that need to be examined and we need to reflect on our industry that allows that to roll on year in and year out. Johnny isn't in that category in any shape or form. So to me, it doesn't bear any more analysis."

gamespot.com/articles/fantastic-beasts-director-david-yates-defends-not-blitzcrank/1100-6455269/

Can you say "Yates is based"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hMa4hZQbrms
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yates is a no talent hack that should have stuck to television

I highly disliked his take on Order of the Phoenix so I didn't see any of the other Harry Potter films he did but I actually quite enjoyed Fantastic Beasts, as well as that Tarzan movie he did.

*sniff*

*SNIFF*

>as well as that Tarzan movie he did

hooray

>The media still haven't figured out how SHPLOMPH's hair works

It's a very small amount of hair combed meticulously so as to give the impression it's a lot of hair. That's all there is to it. That's kind of difficult for an actor with hair to portray.

is he... /ourguy/ ?

He always has been.

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=hMa4hZQbrms

Yikes!!!

Johnny who?

Johnny Mnemonic.

reminder, Rowling's getting a lot of flack for this

reminder that deep down everybody knows amber made it up. got him liquored up then secretly recorded him on purpose after making him angry shortly after his mother died

the police came and the female cop who examined her saw no marks of bruising

depp was never charged

amber actually WAS charged with domestic violence from her old girlfriend and knows how to game the system

based elon musk pumped and dumped her

she was shit in justice leauge and will be shit in aquaman and help kill the dceu

rowling is eating shit for it, rightfully so.

WB had the perfect casting with colin farrell, and threw it all away for le meme depp

Based Rowling.

>allegations of domestic abuse laid on Depp which he himself has confirmed

I doubt Depp would EVER want to be in a spin-off of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody-just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but its certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

bait

Not the same franchise dipshit.

These books aren't fucking art so who cares.

lol the dude cut off his own finger tip he's a fucking nut job

>muh art

Van Gogh cut off his own ear and he's highly respected these days. It takes time to appreciate genius.

Pottershit is Pottershit. Doesn't matter if it is a book, movie, game, play, spinoff, whatever. It's all the same.

I'm sorry, was depp arrested? Was he tried by a jury of his peers and found guilty? Oh, no, that's right he's just been accused. Accused by a gold digger who already moved on to banging a billionaire.

HE CUT HIS OWN FINGER OFF AND WROTE A MESSAGE TO HER IN BLOOD

I'd probably slap a bitch too if she was being a gold digger and leaving me along with half my shit after my mom just died.

And autism is autism, you dipshit spammer.

from that headline, it seems she got in trouble for engaging

It's alright. My grandma has it on tv all the time

Wow, I wonder which was the inspiration for th elook of the character...

All the time? It's barely a year old. She must love it.

Going by that screencap, if you believe this article you also believe that Donald Trump's approval rating is extremely low.

>David Yates
>Zack Snyder
>Joss Whedon
what is it with WB and attracting bad talent? there's probably more, hell Bret Ratner is also under WB. only good ones they have are Villenueasndowanava and Nolan.

>Villenueasndowanava
You realize you were just one "ve" away from having it correct but instead you started mashing on the keyboard.

Doesn't deserve it for this, but she's a massive cunt on Twitter fairly often. Deserves to be taken down a peg or two.

People often deserve hate but get it for the wrong things.

Ha!