Titans Annual #1 Preview

Here's the link with Abnett's interview attached: blastr.com/2017-3-27/dc-comics-titans-annual-dan-abnett

Storytiming for those who hate slideshows. Also this is a pretty enormous preview.

>Should I call YOU My Lord?

Wally's the best fuck the haters

Thanks for posting. When will Booth stop drawing for Titans. These Annuals/special are a breathe of fresh air

cool, I saw that preview but didn't bother because I hated the sites format. Surprised he said this annual is gonna actually have some ramifications besides being a one shot. Like the batgirl annual with saturn girl, DC are making them more important.

It's a "Justice League are distant/bad parents to their former sidekicks" episode. And Ollie's not even around!

A dastardly villain that everyone totally recognizes and cares about! THE KEY

>Where is he king of again?

Dick BTFO

If/when Wally gets his own book. Man, the shift from Booth to Rocafort then back to Booth is gonna be jarring.

I've kind of been ignoring all the "boy Barry and Wally sure seem gay together" comments but with their ages being squashed together so they're only like 5 years apart and Barry constantly dropping his spaghetti every time he sees Wally it does feel kind of gay.

>w-w-wally i just want you to know i think you're great and i'm sorry if anyone treats you without the respect you deserve i just want you to know i really care about you and and

That skull guy master of dreams. Im forgetting his name.

>Donna pretends she knows Diana

If Wally gets his own book Booth's going to be the one drawing it. The thought alone sickens me. Every Titans issue he doesn't draw feels like an amazing reprieve.

You don't know how bad it is until you get an alternative. Look at how well all these panels are composed! No one's limbs or spines are wildly twisted out of proportion!

Dr. Destiny?

And that's it for this mondo preview. Enjoy the non-Booth artwork guys. This is probably the last we'll get for another half year or so.

Dick is the king of pussy.

So does Wally even remember being a Leagu-er? His memories are pretty selective, he kinda remembers the JSA and Linda but then not much of anything else.

Yes. Bingo.

>We can't trust each other
>But trust me and do as I say

The fuck batman?

thats batman, with every team book i read with batman in it, i see more and more of why Damien is the way he is

A manlet?

arrogant

Wally's the mole, Barry dropped 3 Wally's and Wally has been stopped from saying Barry's name

He probably doesn't remember the JSA anymore. He only remembered them when he was still in the Speed Force. The second he came back his memories started fading.

He probably doesn't remember much if anything about his time as a Leaguer. Dude doesn't even remember his kids.

both supes and bats are over 6 foot, its just supes is taller, how is that a manlet?

ty

No, that was from being raised by assassins who spoiled him and constantly told him he would eventually lead them.

>My lord.
>YOU'RE the leader suddenly?
wtf Garth be consistent

batman is still just as arrogant when it comes to grouping up with others, its not what he teaches as you can see with nightwing, its just how he is and damain is the same way

So? Damian's arrogance comes from the fact constantly spoiled until he was 10.

>for you

Hey now, The Key is a pretty damn classic core Justice League-specific villain, as JL-specific villains go.

The only problem is that so many single-character villains have supplanted whole-league villains in the past couple of decades.

yeah im not disputing where both their arrogance comes from, im just saying they are both arrogant, father and son, assassins or not, he would probably still be that way and a lot of times when batman is in another book with others, the similarities between them seem stronger

I'd suspect WW before Wally.

Assuming this actually even is Diana, her memory's been seriously futzed with recently in her own series, while Wally's just been slowly forgetting people who no longer exist in this continuity.

how does this fuck know anything about Wally?

Based Arthur.

And freak off Garth.

Barry drops Wally's name so there's not two people being called The Flash. Barry's identity is secret wheras Wally's identity is trivial since he doesn't exist to the rest of the world.

He's The Key. He really does have top-tier super-awareness and senses and understanding and shit.

Wouldn't surprise me if he somehow has access to knowledge of Wally that pierces Flashpoint and Watchmanning and whatever else you can think of.

I know Wondy is going through stuff in her book, but I don't like how she's being portrayed with the whole "Nothing is real" shtick.

Is there a reason Diana doesn't even have her lasso here?

Continue reading user.

I asked about Dona and Wondy before, but did Aquaman and Garth interact?

>>Dude doesn't even remember his kids.

I think it would be pretty dark for DC current standards for him to remember that he lost his children. I mean he was already miserable remembering Linda, how do you think he would react knowing about his twins?!

I guess there is. Still disappointimg that nightwing realizes it before WW even though she was just trying to interrogate someone and talking about how no one can be trusted

They're not gonna do any Watchmen stuff in Titans. You don't put your big reveals in a c-list book.

It'd at least be an honest take on the character.

Is it any less dark that no one remembers his dead kids? Wally's said it before, there's something worse than being dead -- being forgotten.

You're absolutely right. It's twisted. But for Wally, in this case, I think "ignorance is bliss". I'm sure the kids will be addressed eventually, very interested in seeing his reaction.

this looks decent
thanks, user

>It's a Justice League acts like children to make the Titans look good episode

>I'm sure the kids will be addressed eventually

I wouldn't count on it. Wally's not even going to get his own book and his kids aren't even popular. They're not really expanding on his character, just allowing him to exist.

At least Barry's being nice.

I think Batman's played just about right, paranoid curmudgeon that he is.

Arthur and Diana should probably be a lot more pleasant and reasonable, though.

>So does Wally even remember being a Leagu-er?

It'd be funny if he did. That'd mean he basically has more experience being a leaguer than everyone there, despite them all treating him like an inexperienced kid.

I get the feeling that this story's being written with the expectation that at least long-time readers are supposed to notice this and be amused by it, even if it seems hazy on just how much he remembers.

I mean, Wally would've probably made the fish joke even years into his tenure on the League with Arthur in the old days, too.

AWW YEAH, Arthur and WW working together. They should be Hal&Barry type of friends.

Why can't this be the main artist

Probably couldn't do a team book monthly.

Despite Booth's horrible flaws he's incredibly consistent about getting his work out by deadline, even with really hard, time consuming to draw books like team books.

Also Booth basically called dibs as the Wally West artist at DC offices. It's why he started drawing The Flash the very first issue black Wally showed up.

>Take your Boy
Good thing that isn't BWally Bruce

DCYou era Aquaman brought Garth back. Bunn brought him back and Abnett kept him around.

This is only Jung's second full issue. Let the dude get a feel for the workload first

No Batman is acting like a fucking idiot. Go read the arc in Morrison's JLA where they dealt with the key, in no way is he "being played just about right."

This is Geoff Johns-tier Batman. Pouty, arrogant, loud-mouthed infant who treats his teammates like trash and thinks he is way smarter than he actually is.

Yeah that bothered me. Also kinda bothered me that Abnett writes a really good Arthur in his solo but somehow forgot his personality in this book?

>Wally calls Barry Flash
>Barry calls Wally Wally
I know there are good reasons for it since Barry's true Identity is secret unlike wally's and that Wally isn't considered The Flash to most people in this new universe but it still made me feel sad.

>Pouty, arrogant, loud-mouthed infant who treats his teammates like trash and thinks he is way smarter than he actually is.
Thats every modern batman

Maybe if you're a faggot who knows shit about Batman.

Why is Barry's best characteristics only shown when Wally is around? Barry goes from a flawed character to a truly amazing bro when Wally is near.

Clark's flying to appear taller to piss off Bruce

Wally is love.

I'm really starting to unironically ship these two.

He's not treating his teammates like trash. He's treating people who he's not sure who they are like subordinates to see how they react.

>Batman paranoid and arragant
>Aquaman a dick with a king complex
>Diana, a bitch
>Barry, a wanna be father
These all seem in line to me.

Wally is a really good character who plays off basically every other character in comics very well.

I know I sound like a sopping Wallyfag but he really was the character DC got the most right post-crisis for a long time.

>Go read the arc in Morrison's JLA where they dealt with the key, in no way is he "being played just about right."

That's hardly a comparison because in that they were being mind controlled into living lives through dreams and the only reason he got out was because he didn't trust/believe what was around him.

Hello, Geoff.

That's because all other characters were "iconic" and therefore couldn't be changed. Wally on the other hand was a complete blank slate that the writers could do whatever they wanted with him, they could even age him and mature him over time. On the other hand the rest of the Leagers were basically the same age and person outside of a few retcons that didn't feel natural.
I wouldn't mind seeing another leaguer get replaced for a while with a side kick.

No, he got out because he knew his body shouldn't have been responding as well as it was, and then he proceeded to work with his teammates when they showed up. It had nothing to do with not trusting others.

Aquaman hasn't been a dick with a king complex for awhile. He's actually usually loathe to toss his title around and only does it when forced into political situations.

Heck Abnett is even writing Arthur in Aquaman as a lot more laid back than this. It's obviously something to do with The Key -- he's probably ratcheting up certain behaviors like Arthur's leadership, Batman's paranoia, Diana's aloofness, and even Barry's more fatherly/coddling instincts.

You can kind of see how none of this stuff actually seems to bother Wally -- it's bothering Barry more. The JL treating him like a kid is old hat to Wally.

Whenever they try that people just get mad because they don't care about the sidekicks. It only worked with Wally because he happened to actually end up being more popular than his predecessor. It's hard to pull that off.

Nightwing's a popular enough character, but Batman is too popular to replace, which is why Nightwing basically only cameos in JL rather than being a full fledged member.

>Not muh Batman!!!!!!
Kek

Yes, he worked with his teammates after he figured out he was in a dream and that the others must be too, but who is to say that isn't exactly how it's going to go down again once he realizes what's going on? He has no idea what happened other than him and 7 others were kidnapped and thrown into a secluded area that is barred off from telepathy so of course he's going to be suspicious of those around him. I'm sure the end of the issue is everyone learning to trust eachother and getting out so there's no point in claiming not muh until it's out.

>>Diana, a bitch
Too be far do anyone know what Donna is? What her history is?
Titans make it even more confusing.

From the thumbnail I thought we were getting Dickbats again.

He's being more of a hindrance than help. Instead of even trying to play along, he plays his "I don't trust any of you" card immediately, creating a shit teamwork environment and helping nobody, not even himself.

Nightwing and Garth seem to have already figured it out. Batman's going to feel like a fucking idiot at the end, as he should.

I would not mind this at all considering Dick>Bruce
Though a Dick Kassidy team up book where they fill in for bats would be cool too.

It's WW.
Either she or Garth.

Wally is just him being Wally, the guy.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm betting Dick because he wants people to open up.

No one cares.

Enraged and depressed Wally is actually kind of fearsome. It could be interesting to read for a while in the far future.

There were some anons guessing a time ago, in certain thread that I cannot remember (maybe a supes thread?) that this Wally maybe never had his children. Or more like the Wally he's remembering never had them because some things changed retrospectively.

Batman's probably right, though. He just wants people to follow orders because he believes his orders will solve the problem. Once he starts solving it he imagines any impostors will be forced to out themselves.

I know it seems kind of assholish but this isn't even slightly out of character for Batman. I could see many different Batman writers of the past, good and bad alike, writing him similarly to this.

It just seems unfair because we're not getting his inner monologue and the story isn't focused on him to flesh out his viewpoint. But Batfags are so goddamn sensitive that anything that doesn't spell out Bruce as perfect or in the right miffs them. Of course Bruce comes off as standoffish from the perspective of other characters. And we're meant to be seeing things from the Titans' perspective.

This is why I fucking hate Batman. He shows up in everything but people get whiny about it when he's not the focus, so he always ends up being the fucking focus. It's exhausting and tedious having to spell out even the most simple narrative concepts.

Maybe it's intentional.

Nah, in DCU Rebirth he flashed back to the Flash Rebirth scene which still had Iris II. The previous universe memories Wally had are the ones we know at least up to that point, which might as well be all of them because it's not like Wally showed up after Flash Rebirth (the first one).

wtf is "aquatelepathically"?

Jesus christ Bruce, get your shit together, you're being schooled in leadership by Dick here.

Telepathy that only works on aquatic creatures.

ooh, i see.
thank mate!

>This is Geoff Johns-tier Batman. Pouty, arrogant, loud-mouthed infant who treats his teammates like trash and thinks he is way smarter than he actually is
This unfortunately how he is currently being potrayed in most of his appearances. Heck, this is why I keep saying that Batman needs a new writers.