OK, Sup Forums...

OK, Sup Forums. Make the case as to why she's more of a Mary Sue than Anakin (literal Jesus) and Luke (farm-boy/galactic savior).

"She's a girl" is not a valid argument.

Luke and Anakin both took 3 movies to win a lightsabre duel

What's her flaws?
"She used to be poor" Doesn't count.

she's ugly and barren

You get abilities from nature or nurture. Rey doesn't have special blood and she has no training. She's skilled for no reason.

because star wars is my safe space and women and minorities scare me

She was easily captured and barely held her own against a half-dead Kylo Ren. She also accomplished next to nothing, whereas Luke saved the Galaxy in the span of one movie with zero training as a pilot.

Luke was arrogant and got his hand chopped off. Anakin believed in his own hype, got his arm chopped off, and then he couldn't let go of his Mom or Padme. Rey is almost always put in the right by the writers, she never faces the consequences of her actions because she always makes the right choice.

I'm only comfortable when a Mary Sue character has the same gender as me

Is "having special blood" really a reason?

Anakin was a convergence of the force, the incannon way of explaining it's Mary Sueness while Luke is the Son of that Jesus and having (some) training of the force by Obi Wun and later by Yoda.

Meanwhile Rei is related to no one, had 0 training in the force, yet is more capable then Luke was at that age.
I was really hoping Rei would also be a convergence of the force, or better yet do a Revan and have Rei be too powerful so Luke had to mindwipe her. Or at worst make her either the Child of Luke, or Han & Leia.

The big reason why people are calling out on Rei isnt because she's a woman. It's because after 2 films there isn't an incannon explaination to validate all the things that Rei is capable of doing. She is litterally a no one that can do almost anything. Now that both Snoke and Luke are gone there's nothing that can stop Rei giving no tension to the rest of the trilogy.

That's not a flaw.

You see, barely accomplishing is not the same thing as utterly failing.
She got captured but escaped pretty easily, she almost lost to Kylo, but then suddenly became much stronger.

These aren't fucking flaws, these are just weaker strengths.

She carried a weapon around with her when we met her, implying she's been in melee combat situations before. Furthermore, a lightsaber isn't as heavy as that bulky stick she used to carry around, she could probably move around better with the weight change.

>a half-dead Kylo Ren.

You disprove your point.

Not to dick ride the new movies but she's not a Mary Sue, no more than Anakin or Luke was with their OFF SCREEN training.

Anakin was a terribly written character, but the first film he held a lightsaber he lost a duel and had his arm chopped off. The next film he was the antagonist.
Luke had the shit beaten out of him by Tusken Raiders, Cantina patrons, wampas, Darth Vader plus he failed twice while training with Yoda.
Then he was almost killed by the Emperor.

You fucking halfwit.

>implying she's been in melee combat situations before
How does that have any relevance to my point? She still defeated the main villain without trying in the first movie of the trilogy, something neither Luke nor Anakin ever did

>Furthermore, a lightsaber isn't as heavy as that bulky stick she used to carry around, she could probably move around better with the weight change

By that logic a baseball batter would be able to win an olympic fencing match.

fighting with weapons isn't based on your melee skill, fighting with a staff has almost no similarity as fighting with a plasma sword

Hey this chick is right. I.agree with her Rey isn't a Mary sue. Please date me?

She needs less training to use a blade because her previous experience with her staff transfers over to some degree.

Kylo is the best duelist in the world then? He was wounded in the first movie and a little more than emotionally distraught both as a character and in the heat of the moment. He had just killed daddy, Finn managed to cut him, Rey had eluded him the whole movie.

No one called Revan a Mary Sue, so why are we here again exactly? You guys need Rey to take the "not a Mary Sue" class of murdering sand people or losing a hand?

Cool. And Rey got easily nerfed by Kylo (a demonstrated weakling), and barely beat him the second time (after he'd been shot by a weapon that had previously been shown literally blowing dudes up). So, OK, Luke's not a Mary Sue. And neither is she.

>fighting with weapons isn't based on your melee skill, fighting with a staff has almost no similarity as fighting with a plasma sword

On a deeper level? You're right, as a principal of being at the end of a weapon and anticipating/dodging/reacting accordingly it's the.

Except the pilots helping Luke died. Including one of his best friends to help him line up the shot.

in star wars yes
like all the skywalker are good at piloting spaceships

/thread

ok. but Rey has special blood. plenty of people do. They actually had a whole organization.

>anticipating/dodging/reacting accordingly
Bullshit, especially considering everyone's she's fought has equal or greater training compared to her and no beating up random sand bandits doesn't count.

>no beating up random sand bandits

You're making assumptions as well. I haven't the slightest doubt in my mind that at one point in time she's got into fights she couldn't win, was out numbered, and got beaten.

No one went off just the movies in the OT, there was blanks to be filled in by the fans and infinite speculation. Now a days, more media, more money, more answers, but there's still no reason to assume Rey coasted to the point in TFA without any fights.

> He was wounded in the first movie
Why do people still use this retarded argument? You realise it's fiction right? What happened was planned out and executed by a team of writers.

Rey didn't win the duel because Kylo was injured, Kylo was injured because the writers needed a justification for Rey to win the duel.
Having random shit written into the script to favour them is the definition of Mary Sue, you can keep adding bullshit to 'justify' her being perfect at everything but a well written character wouldn't be good at everything in the first place.

Anakin trained for years. From a child to adult. Was shittily acted and written like Rey, but we do see his flaws. He had anger issues. He wants to be a Jedi master but they don't trust him. I don't even know why I'm defending the garbage prequels but whatever

Luke had one notable skill, he was a good pilot. This was established early on in the first movie - he wanted to enroll in the Imperial Academy to be a pilot, he was interested in spaceships (playing with his T-16 toy), etc, and Biggs recognizes him as a great pilot. We don't get an opportunity to see him fly until the Death Star run but it's still relayed to the audience. The rest of his skills are developed over the course of the movies and he is shown training them.

Anakin is worse, he is a small child who is somehow a professional-level racer and pilot, not to mention a great mechanic and engineer (building his own podracer and C-3PO). He has access to junk to build things, yes, but he's still a kid and shouldn't have much time to do that shit either since he's a slave. At least he isn't shown as a competent fighter without training though, and Obi-Wan didn't like him right away.

Rey is about as bad as Anakin, she is older so more likely to have some skills, but still a nobody who is somehow better than everyone at everything and every one of the "good guys" she meets immediately accepts and likes her.

>knows more about the millenium falcon than Han does
that's because it's implied she worked on repairing it, or at least had a relation with the guy who did it

>literal desert scavenger orphan girl who's been on her own since 4(?) requires less training than the farm boy

Hmmmm

I completely agree. They should've had Finn help Rey out in some way or have Luke step in.

desu the Finn/Kylo fight was one of my favourite parts of TFA. It was nice seeing Kylo toy with him then fucking slaughter the guy once he got bored.

And when she is not in a scene, other characters are asking "where is rey".

she uses the force more efficient then both luke and anakin ever did without any training, people always like her from the start she never loses, never even needs to get tought any thing from luke

>zero training as a pilot.
He has a lifetime of experience flying through beggars canyon shooting womp rats.

>She needs less training to use a blade because her previous experience with her staff transfers over to some degree.

That's not how it works.

>living in poverty makes you a genius ultimate warrior
wtf India is a superpower now!

No more than Anakin, sure, but definitely more than Luke. He had way more training on-screen, actually had the time to train off-screen, and was literally only good at piloting in the first movie. It would make sense for her to be slightly more skilled than he was in ANH, since her life appears to be harder, but not to the degree that TFA shows.

>Kylo (a demonstrated weakling)
He's only demonstrated to be emotionally weak, he is consistently shown to be good with a lightsaber and the Force (the attack on the village in the beginning, killing other Jedi trainees, etc).

>Revan
A player-controlled videogame protagonist has much different standards than a character in other media.

She is not a skywalker

I already posted the answer in the previous thread:
>spends chilhood in captivity without a father
>loses mother due to the jedi's retarded handling of the situation
>slaughters women and children
>gets BTFO by Dooku and loses a limb
>becomes arrogant
>never trusted by other jedi
>tormented by visions of dying spouse and children
>gets seduced by the dark side and tricked into killing other jedi
>slaughters every last child AGAIN
>gets BTFO by Obi-wan and loses remaining limbs
>burns to a crisp
>spouse dies
>never meets luke and leia until they're already enemies
>spends the remainder of life as a machine servant to the emperor
>mortally wounded by son, then by master
>dies from electrocution
>the chosen one from the prophecy
vs.
>orphan who scavenges for a living
>can beat up anyone on Jaaku
>instantly liked by Finn
>instantly liked by BB8
>flies the falcon perfectly
>instantly liked by Han and offered a job
>instantly liked by chewbacca
>instantly trusted by resistance
>instantly becomes a better fighter and force user than the main bad guy
>instantly liked by leia
>finds Luke easily
>offspring of a couple of common drunks

I have yet to see The Last Jedi. Notice I didn't mention their names or genders. Tell me which one is the Mary Sue.

>She carried a weapon around with her when we met her, implying she's been in melee combat situations before. Furthermore, a lightsaber isn't as heavy as that bulky stick she used to carry around, she could probably move around better with the weight change.
wow that makes perfect sense that she is able to defeat some of the most well powerful and dangerous people in the entire universe simply with self thought skills

>writers needed a justification for Rey to win the duel

I don't understand the problem. Are you saying she should have won the duel without him being injured BECAUSE IT'S FICTION?

One of the few posts in this thread with an actual opinion on things and not bandwagon tier hate.

Do tell us the extensive weapon types you're proficient in using and tell us how long it took you learn each one.

Anakin has been fighting with lightsabers and being trained in the force for 10 years, he's also Jesus. He lost till the third movie.

Rey wins every battle ever except against the non existant patriarchy.

>Luke and Anakin got their asses handed to them both physically and verbally on many occasions. Rey is loved by all nearly instantly.
>Luke and Anakin's shtick was piloting for both and tinkering for Anakin, Rey's is literally whatever the plot demands.
>Luke and Anakin had to progress naturally through training and dire battles. Rey opened console and typed in setsaberall_10 and setforceall_3 and defeated the big band in her first encounter
>Luke and Anakin took 3 films to get to a point where they don't get absolutely wrecked by another Force user. Rey took 1 hour and 30 mins in her first film
>Yoda did not want to train Luke or Anakin because he sensed much fear and anger in them. Rey, arguably more hot-headed and impatient than Luke ever was, equaling or surpassing Anakin levels of angst and Yoda just goes "Lol, she already knows everything she needs. BTW Fuck you Skywalker"

>my fucking face when troglodytes try to claim Luke or Anakin as Stu's because of their "power level".

You're defending the garbage prequels because they miraculously made something worse.

>I don't understand the problem. Are you saying she should have won the duel without him being injured BECAUSE IT'S FICTION?

How could you even interpret that from what I wrote.
Clearly the writers did a good job adding bullshit reasons to justify her being a Mary Sue else you wouldn't be here defending it

1. No flying experience, flies the MF better than fucking Han Solo
2. Wins against Kylo, who is a trained warrior, with zero experience. Also wins against a bunch of other soldiers.
3. Jedi Mindtrick without learning it

Not for like 20 fucking years like Han did.

Luke isn't a Mary Sue, but yes, Anakin in the prequels is.

It's more jarring with Rey because you'd expect them to be better by this point, while the prequels had so much awful shit going wrong with the movies, it was easier to forget how bad Anakin was.

>instantly liked by Finn
She's hot, he just got out of an order that most likely was celibate, diversity quota attracted to white girls.

>>instantly liked by BB8
Even tech droid's personality quirks aren't that choosy.

>instantly liked by Han and offered a job
>instantly liked by chewbacca

They're both old and could be reminded of when they first met Luke.

>instantly becomes a better fighter and force user than the main bad guy
Injury etc.

Rest of your post is pretty objective.

>She carried a weapon around with her when we met her, implying she's been in melee combat situations before. Furthermore, a lightsaber isn't as heavy as that bulky stick she used to carry around, she could probably move around better with the weight change.
Only experience Force users can use a lightsaber effectively because of the oscillating effect the blade's force field projects. You need to be skilled in the Force to counteract this effect. Originally it was because the saber hilts themselves were extra heavy and you needed the Force to help hold it.

Did someone say, Mary Sue thread?

t. reddit

remember, whoever had the millenium falcon modified it heavily, that explains why Han seems to have a hard time with his own ship, thus it's not out of place for Rey's character to know what the modifications are

MaREY Sue

>She's hot
*inhales*

>Injury
*inhales*

>Forgetting about leia
>"I totally lost the love of my life, father of my kid but instead of hugging his best friend Chewie I'm going to hug this person I never met"

Even Revan the EU mary sue wans't at the same level at her, she's more like Boruto or Sasuke

see Anakin is a Sue in TPM but these are good points as to why he isn't in Ep II and III. He's still badly written in my opinion but not a Sue in the later prequels.

not that user but I'm actually proficient in the bo staff and I've fenced for over a year now, still a gigantic noob

bo staff experience helped very minorly with foot work. almost nothing transferred over. (i know fencing isn't the same as saber combat but it's as close as you're really gonna get since japanese sword styles are a joke)

in fact, experience with the staff hampered me in several ways. Distance judgement was completely different as well as general balance being completely different

It was modified heavily when Han had it too, it's fine if Rey knows a few things about it but not OK that she somehow knows it better than Han and Chewie.

>Only experience Force users can use a lightsaber effectively
I'd agree with you, but it seems like Disney wrote this out. Finn used it moments before Rey with at this time presumably no force. Kreia even has a line about this in Kotor 2.

>Originally it was because the saber hilts themselves were extra heavy and you needed the Force to help hold it.

Couldn't find anything online refering to this. Was this in a book or?

yes, but HE did the mods, obviously he knew what they did. These mods were not made by Solo, he has no way of immediatly knowing what the fuck they did to his ship

in New Hope, Luke is wielding it just fine without knowing how to force. It's just not effective if you can't anticipate the enemy's attacks if you don't have the force to feed you the future. You'd get chopped up or shot to bits and couldn't adequately defend yourself.

Are you retarded or only pretending to be?

>bo staff experience helped very minorly with foot work

I guess this is what I was trying to say, albeit I got it across very poorly.

> experience with the staff hampered me in several ways. Distance judgement was completely different

This would be written off via the force in a Star Wars setting. Just started The Clone Wars and all the Jedi distance judging gods.

>this would be written off via the force in a star wars setting

yeah but Rey has no legitimate reason to be so skilled with the force to begin with

>why do I feel we've picked up another pathetic life form
>fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate . . . leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.
The only people who were kind to Anakin that weren't directly related to him in TPM were Qui-Gon Jinn, Padme, Jar Jar, Padme's pilot and Artoo. Everyone else thought he was just some snot-nosed slave kid from an outer rim backwater.

Well, all I have left to say is that after TLJ training with Luke, people will only get a bigger hate boner for Rey.

>no legitimate reason to be so skilled with the force to begin with
Since TFA came out the justification has been 'just wait and see, maybe she has been trained in the past/luke is her father, etc'
Now that's all out the window, what are fanboys gonna hide behind now?

i thought they were subtly saying leia was her mother in TFA.

something about having a child, but not able to keep it because of the conditions. Then they speak togheter, and it just felt weird.

im guessing she actually daughter of super leia, as she's an orphan of some sort.

Anakin is not a Mary sue what the actual fuck? He has tons of conflict and fails at multiple things. Being gifted is not the same as being a Mary sue. Having 0 faults is a Mary sue. Anakin had plenty of faults.

harsh but lmao

>like Boruto or Sasuke
Pfft,you wish. Sausage is Anakin and Burrito is Luke. Neither are nearly half as big of Sues as Rey. Rey is the quintessential Mary Sue. She never struggles with anything, can do anything, and is loved by everyone regardless of situation.

In many ways Anakin is the opposite of a Mary Sue. He was inherently talented, but that made him arrogant and distrustful of his mentors (who he perceived as holding him back), eventually leading him down a dark path to become more powerful.
If Lucas' writing wasn't total shit Anakin could have been a 10/10 deconstruction of a Mary Sue.

He was still inexplicably hyper-competent for a child.

>she's not a mary sue
>fucking yoda destroys force scrolls because Rey is that fucking god like

yeah sure she's not

Anakin is literally the son of the force, and has precognition, and nerfs the trade federation at age 8.
Star Wars heroes are Magical Sues. Get over it.

No one liked Anakin. I don't like Anakin. Rey is liked by every character she meets except the bad guy...who is the bad guy. She never fails.

People think that making a character powerful turns them into a Mary Sue automatically. But it's what they do with that power and how the world responds to it that make all the difference.

>anakin is the opposite of a mary sue
>single handedly taking down all the droids by destroying their main spaceship, as a little child

>massive Star Wars spamming
>mods are not pruning it
interesting. wonder how much money Disney paid them.

Anakin was still fucking trained.

not in TPM

>Trains for 10 years but one of the best Jedi ever
>Stills fucks up constantly
compared to
>Grabs a lightsaber for 5 secs
>Skilled beyond peer, beats everybody

Oops, I seem to have dropped my image.
I also seem to have dropped the truth bomb that Anakin killed women and children by Episode II and is not flawless.

He was a pod racer and therefore could be a pilot
Rey never flew anything

You use the worst character in the SW series that everyone dislikes. Sure, he's a Mary Sue and everyone hated him and the Prequels. They also hate the new series for being girl power bullshit, Thank that kike kathleen kennedy.

So, could you force-fuck her somehow?

Lucky Luke makes a 1-in-a-million shot that saves the Galaxy, having never flown an x-wing before. Meanwhile his highly-trained counterparts all suck by comparison. Flawless character development.

>Luke had to train his force abilities for months with Yoda
>Luke lost to Vader in their first fight
>Luke lost to emperor and needed his father, a more experienced Jedi, to save him
>he showed arrogance and impatience throughout ANH, ESB and all the way towards the end of ROTJ

>Anakin trained as a Jedi for years
>Anakin lost to Dooku and Obi Wan
>had the flaw of lack of control of his anger and frustrations
>desired power over all and to be a dictator

>Rey is a good person
>Rey is immediately strong and powerful with, not only the force, but a lightsaber and a master pilot despite always living on a junk planet and only ever riding a speeder
>has a tiny moral wobble for a split second in Last Jedi before being super good again
>Rey is yet to be defeated in a fight with a villain
>faced Kylo Ren twice and won twice and now he's the big bad for Episode 9

there you go, faggot

happened to shmi

>he was a pod racer, so he could navigate a completely different type of vehicle into destroying a space station
come on

>Rey is immediately strong and powerful with, not only the force, but a lightsaber and a master pilot despite always living on a junk planet and only ever riding a speeder

She sucks with a lightsaber and has been taking apart ships her whole life. That's why mechanics can never drive.

Anakin is like a 75% Mary Sue what with the space jesus prophecy

Rey is more 100%

She used land vehicles, just as the little boy did. They're both equally relevant in terms of piloting a space ship (in that neither of them should've been able to do that shit)

>she sucks with a lightsaber

In any fight where she has used her saber she won, explain how she sucks with it?

They're both 100% Mary Sue at the start.
It wasn't until AotC and RotS where it became less ridiculous.