Why was the Scotsman a match for Jack? I understand their swords are equal...

Why was the Scotsman a match for Jack? I understand their swords are equal, but we see Jack trained for decades in every fighting style, while Scotsman is some dude.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yGvVHt6UP2U
youtube.com/watch?v=itzazKOhk94
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the fact that he can stand up to jack obviously means he isn't just some dude

One of Batman's rogues is a guy with a knife.

But is he a match for Batman in combat?

What, you think the Scottsman isn't a match for jack? You shitpostin', fiddlyfingered, bugeyed, no sleepin',,

Guy lives in a post apocalyptic Aku ruled world with killer robots up the wazoo, real life trained him.

Jack is good at everything but the Scotsman is his equal in combat. Clearly the Scotsman has only trained in one thing but trained well enough to excel to Jack's level.

We can't say for no backstory is told, until then he can only assume he is a nobody.

Jack is some dude too

You see, the mistake the Emperor made is training his SON. He should have trained the chosen one whose destiny was prophesied in legend. He let nepotism get the best of him and now everything's fucked.

He's built like a fucking brick shit house and has a magical sword. Not to mention as has been stated he has survived in an apocalyptic hellscape his whole life.

Depends on the writer. In the Arkham series he was a bitch, in other stuff he's less so.

we already know the scotsman from a long-surviving warrior clan
you only get to survive by being good

Batman isn't the best Fighter in the world. One of the Batgirls was a better fighter than him.

>Questioning the magic ruins

Ya shitpostin'

The Scotsman has probably also spent most of his life fighting random robots or dinosaurs or whatever, the future is a weird place.

>Implying magic shit helps

youtube.com/watch?v=yGvVHt6UP2U

BASKET WEARIN

the dynamic works because the Scotsman is very different from jack, he is large, boorish, unrefined and brutish whereas jack is small, precise, reserved and quiet and at first you think they are gonna hate each other but then we see they make great friends as they are connected by a warrior spirit which is the dynamic of all of the show. jack going around and fighting for that which is good in all different kinds of people (scots, spartans, water niggas). jack is a very classical hero in the way that he is a warrior for a universal good and so too is the scotsman which is how they connect.

Jack would have probably beaten him if he had more room to maneuver

He's the second most wanted man on Earth behind Jack.

Everybody comes from a long-surviving lineage

he isn't a match for jack
didn't you watch the episode where the scotsman lost to Jack at tic-tac-toe, a race, distant rock throw, rock-paper-scissors and finally thumb wrestling?

I like to think that Jack isn't the only chosen one and that the gods were edging their bets, the scotsman is another guy on a holy mission to kill Aku.

>distant rock throw
To be fair he had to cheat on that one since Jack is demonstrably shit at tossing rocks. The scotsman's mistake was setting contests of finesse instead of brute strength, Jack looked like he was going to shit his pants when the scotsman suggested wrestling, until he appended 'thumb' to it.

>gigantic burly warrior who's been fighting his entire life
>a fucking highlander
>with a machine gun for a leg
>wielding grenades and a bagpipe
>and a giant sword with magic runes
>married to a even bigger and more agressive beast
>"is just some dude"

The Scottish have a history of notable warriors, comparable to Japan's samurai.

It's funny too because Jack is a Highlander now.

MAGIC RUNES LADDIE

>married to a even bigger and more agressive beast

HOW DER YA

That's true of everyone Jack meets.

I think it's like a Mugen and Jin type of situation.

Scottsman is more freestyle and Jack knows all sorts of disciplines.

One of the batgirls was the child assassin daughter of the actual (alleged) best fighter in the world

They were on a bridge with low mobility.
Scotsman's a bruiser and Jack's agile but the latter can't move around.
Jack excels in taking down an opponents defenses but Scotsman's magic runes prevent his sword from being shattered and his firm muscle tightens his grip on his blade.
In terms of stamina, they are both equal

only the people who survived

It's been said but bears repeating: the Scotsman has been fighting robotic monsters presumably his whole life. Just because we only see Jack's training doesn't mean no other competent warriors exist.

A dude who can lift a tank. He's got superhuman capabilities, probably because of his highlander physique.

Skill is overrated. I'd put my money on body mass when it comes to random street fights. If you're the best fighter in the world but the guy you're fighting has two hundred pounds over you, I'm pretty sure the bigger guy can still beat the shit out of you.

This.

That yeti from the monk episode would've killed Jack if he didn't scream like a faggot.

The fact that Aku has a bounty on his head implies that he is definitely threatening.

While if it is 2 random people yes more than likely the guy heavier and longer reach wins.
Trained fighter not so much, while longer and heavier gives you advantages the human body has incredible potential for destruction and a lot of weak points.

this is why the first lesson in self defence is how to avoid getting into a fight in the first place

I'm glad to hear they teach that because TV / movies always seem to communicate the total opposite idea that you can somehow learn karate as a 5'2 110 lb girl and then go around beating up full grown men.

The closest thing to an exception I've ever seen is Bruce Lee. I haven't seen a single other person similar to him though, I think he was as an extreme of a physical oddity as Newton was a mental oddity.

Jack wasn't trying as hard as he could have because he doesn't kill people nor did it seem like the Scotsman was trying to kill him ether.

You have to imagine that Samurai Jack has unbreakable plot armor. He's basically Batman. He can never lose or get injured unless the plot demands it. He's just a regular guy with martial art skills and he's survived hundreds of encounters with killer robots, demons, and monsters; and he's been doing this for over 50 years. It's completely unbelievable, but you kind of just have to accept it.

Rip in peace the dumb nigger that insulted the scotsman's wife.

I mean, the series title is literally Samurai Jack

Bruce Lee was jacked as fuck m8
he was so jacked he started to develop wings

Aku put a price on the scotsman's head, he isn't just some guy.
Plus, the scene in which jack and the scotsman fight is meant to establish them as peers.

He was 5'7 and his weight fluctuated between 125 lb and 145 lb.

You watch too much tv.
There is a reason why weight limits exist.
The bigger guy always has a huge advantage.
The only time the smaller guy has a chance is when you either get rid of all rules or you have enough rules that pull to a smaller persons favor.

When are we talking about competitive fighting? Stop trying to move the goal post.
I said trained fighters I didn't say trained fighters in a competitive setting.

one of my favorite exercises in martial arts classes is the knife exercise, where they ask for an untrained volunteer and give him a marker pen and ask him to use it as if it was a knife and try to slash the martial arts students who will try and take the "knife" from him or disarm him.
it's extremely rare for anyone to come away unmarked at least once, even very experienced fighters and if you fuck up and get actually stabbed, you're probably not going to try a second attempt at grabbing it

so rule #1 is avoiding getting into a fight in the first place, rule #2 is how to break away from a fight as quickly as possible, evasion, escape routes etc

Because a warrior of light can only vanquish the darkness.

Nobody's can be strong too.

this, he doesnt even learn to use ki like some of the xiaolin monks did in that one episode, hes not a superfighter, hes basically just really clevevr and plain lucky

you are mostly right but you are forgetting two factors:

1) its true that the bigger you are the harder you fall, being heavier means that you are more prone to fall injury if someone manages to knock you down

2) being lighter offers legitimate advantages if you take weaponry into account

Nigger looks like he could glide.

when you only have one trick, it's easier to master that trick to perfection. he could probably beat batman in a knife fight

Too bad he couldn't train the muscles that keep your brain from leaking out in a cerebral edema.

Neither can you. Hell you can die from an aneurysm rn.

I'm stating a real life practical example of how even trained fighters know that there is an inherent advantage to just having size.
A 100 lb person vs a 200 lb person will always be in favor of the 200 lb person no matter what the training level is.
You are trying to hard to make this some abstract "master of the hidden palm 99 ballsacks" vs a 300 lb man child.
The smaller the person the less damage they can deal and the less damage they can take.
You will never be able to find an example of a 130 pound trained dude who could win against a 200 lb dude.

No I can't that ridicu

People underestimate how strong Scotsman's sword is. In seasons of death, we see a tribe of trolls go through possibly the most elaborate forging and enchanting process even put on screen to make a sword so powerful, only the strongest among them could wield it, and jack's sword cleaves right through it.
Scotsman's claymore however, goes up against it without a scratch. Where the fuck did he get that thing?

Simple, his culture is more refined than theirs and his God is real unlike theirs from what we know. Therefore, the same magic that made Jack's sword is around the same that's used in the Scottsman's. So you can expect some holy durability from it.

It probably helps if you don't make your sword out of ice.

never underestimate a durid

Bullshit. A 200lbs man-muffin isn't going to do shit against a 130lbs musclehead. You're putting more emphasis on size than is realistic. If we're talking equal muscle ratios, you're absolutely right, but we never made that distinction.

Hold up a second. You take 130 lb mma fighter and put him up against a 200 lb regular Joe the mma fighter should win 9/10. Now if the 200 lb dude has even the most basic of fight training the odds would probably swing 180 or at least be 50/50.

Idk man in highschool I started wrestling as that 220 lb man muffin and had little to no experience and the 145 lb seniors with 8 years exp would still lose to me after my first week of training.

Jesus Christ he looks like a stingray

You think wrestling is fighting?
jesus are you dumb.

youtube.com/watch?v=itzazKOhk94

Stream link?

>The only time the smaller guy has a chance is when you either get rid of all rules or you have enough rules that pull to a smaller persons favor.

Plenty of smaller guys win in MMA all the time.

Sure, a featherweight going up against a heavyweight would be at a huge disadvantage, but one weight class apart isn't that different.

I don't think you can forge ice in dragonfire.

Wrestling, striking, and street fighting are completely different animals. A weight advantage means far more when grappling and wrestling than in an open fight. The small musclehead's advantage is going to be striking, and they will avoid wrestling at all cost. One of my best buddies is a 5'7" Bruce Lee esque build, and he would always destroy our 6'2" muscle mountain friend in sparring sessions. He would dance around him, wear him out, and the big guy would be panting and defenseless.

Also, bro, you were probably stronger than you realize. Real muffin men are like baby-soft.

Anyway, my anecdote is definitely the exception, but that exceptions exist is very much worth noting.

What was the stream?

>Some random blue guy beat Jack
>Jack trained for 10 quadrillion eons
>Blue guy has an MBA in accounting

Gendy is a hack. What can you say?

What's more effective? Training for decades in every fighting style, or training for decades in ONE fighting style and becoming the absolute master of it?

What

Way too open-ended for a meaningfully short answer. If the basics of multiple styles give you the counters to one mastered style, then the premise becomes much more complicated. And surely a master will have counter-counters, but the all-arounder's training could still adequately account for those.

We need more factors between the two, particularly the specifics of their styles if all else is equal.

Lots of people are a match for Jack. Jack is as OP or as down-to-earth as the plot demands.

That means a lot more if you are a human in Aku-future. Specifically, one who defies Aku.

SHE'S SO BEAUTIFUL THAT SHE MAKES ANGELS TELL JACK TO KILL HIMSELF

This has already happened in mma plenty of times. Go watch some fights in pride or any of Fedor's earlier fights. Or the first UFC lol.

There is this episode where a race of snow orks make their own magic sword and you get to see them forging it and then they beat each other until the strongest one earns his claim to it and he challenges jack and loses instantly
There is a reason why other characters lose to jack and that's the best part of the show, sure most of them are either robots or just mercenaries who are probably not trained well enough and not willing to die for aku
The Scotsman is good at what he does, we don't know why, he may have trained every bit as hard as jack, he may have gotten superb training, he may have amazing warrior DNA since he is part of a human tribe who survived aku and we know that's hard as balls, it goes to show that you are never truly the best at what you do

Size is an advantage, yes. But weight classes exist in competitive fighting, where generally BOTH FIGHTERS are skilled and have trained hard in their chosen style. That's not an example of "skill doesn't matter" because THE BIG GUY IS SKILLED TOO.

Plus there will always be a "heavyweight" class with no upper limit, and that class does not in fact get automatically dominated by the biggest guy.

when is the next episode?

If it's a fist fight sure
Your average street rat knows eenough about handling a knife to stab you somewhere it will take 40 seconds to kill you

With some martial arts like tai chi you can have old manlets throw around a heavyweight like a ragdoll.
>At the age of 60, Huang Sheng Shyan demonstrated his abilities in taijiquan by defeating Liao Kuang-Cheng, the Asian champion wrestler, 26 throws to 0 in a fund raising event in Kuching, Malaysia.

CELTIC MAGIC

It is time.

>Runes let him come back as a ghost

STR>DEX and Scotsman is pure STR build while jack is DEX/INT/CHA

>he dies when he recently gets a meme

LEWDS OF HIS DAUGHTERS WHEN
I NEED THAT SCOTISH AMAZON BBW NOW PLEASE DRAW FRIENDS

Jack said himself that he is a great fighter. That being said its still implied Jack could beat him if he got serious.

CELTIC
MAGIC
LADDIE

5 minutes 23 hours and 6 days