JSA Storytime: Madman

Good evening owls,

Onwards

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qRBM-yCEOt8
bleedingcool.com/2017/04/20/marvel-legacy-brings-back-planet-hulk-tony-stark-announced-2017-diamond-summit/
twitter.com/TravisEllisor/status/818247320252940289
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

so what was good yesterday other than Best Boy

I didn't even really read anything besides Deathstroke. I skimmed Cap but my enthusiasm is decreasing with the big event approaching.

also do yourself a favor and twitter search for "bucky killed" if you haven't already

>Bucky dead
>Kobik dead
Sweet, merciful gods

I'm behind on Mr. Stroke but that last page wew

it's so good because it's not the what, it's the why and the how, you know?

Hello, Storyteller.

So, um, Dark Matter is a thing. Yay?

Also, Thunderbolts just keeps getting worse. And somehow, I don't think it'll get better just because Bucky and Kobik are dead.

So DC has a new not-imprint with artists being the main attraction of it
The timing is very funny because of Alonso's "artists aren't shit" comments

Deathstroke continues to be amazing

I saw people blaming Nickypoo for killing two lesbians to which I say:

1) For fuck's sake, blame Zub for Man-Killer
2) lol n00b a dead Quasar is when their plot begins

I don't really care about any of the titles but we'll see if they work

Dark Matter feels like a sudden lurch into the 90s. I'm interested in maybe 2 of the books.

>The timing is very funny because of Alonso's "artists aren't shit" comments

This is probably intentional. Like they obviously had the books in the works already but the promotional angle of artists-first seems like it's on purpose.

>also do yourself a favor and twitter search for "bucky killed" if you haven't already
hah, that's glorious

I'm basking in the salt

>Dark Matter
I can't help but find it amusing how no one is excited about this. The SJW-ey side of comic books isn't excited because it's all mostly white straight guys with only like two outliers and the other side of comic books isn't excited because it just sounds generic as all shit.

>I don't really care about any of the titles but we'll see if they work
We'll see if people share your opinion because desu the only ones that'll sell well is Snyder/Capullo and Lee's.

And you know that Lee is going to jump off the book by issue 3.

How is THE BUTTON other than an occasion for people to again talk about how Alan Moore has been deeply wronged for signing a contract

The whole cosmic murder mystery dinner in Quasar is legitimately one of my favourite arcs in any cape comic.

I think the Avril Quasar complaints are just rot though. The character has been around for I think probably not even a full issue? Or just barely one. And very little of that has been character writing. I think if you're a fan, you're a fan because of identity over anything else.

Whereas Man-Killer probably does have some legit fans out there.

the way they're pitching it sounds interesting but man the creative teams are underwhelming

Silencer probably interests me the most but even that just sounds like that one lady from Kill Bill + more scifiy

It was 90% Thawne beating up Batman

I kind of liked the structure of having the whole issue take a minute, but other than that I guess nothing really happened. Showed Saturn Girl in Arkham freaking out about a murder that needed to be stopped to save everything, which could be relevant for our interests I guess.

it was alright, the issue felt pretty short and not a lot happened

but there was an Imra cameo (why is she even in Arkham?) and I'm hype for Jay hints so I'll stick around

also watching Thawne kick the shit out of Batman was nice

If your a Thawnefag then you might like it

>#6 Wonder Woman #20
Aw yeah! Mah gal Circe movin' mad numbers, bitches! I keep telling you fucks she's the best Wonder Rogue, but you don't believe me.

The Silencer sounds kind of interesting? It's basically ever action movie ever, but I can roll with that.

TBF I am not really interested in the big Watchmen Rebirth plot either.

My tastes in amazing comic book artists do not line up with what they've thrown out.

She sold a sandwich!

Pretty sad this the only time Sup Forums gave atention to Savage Dragon.

I like the idea of committing to consistent artists, but that's about it. Rest is meh.

The Silencer sounds really like that Joelle Jones Lady Killer book.

>My tastes in amazing comic book artists do not line up with what they've thrown out.
same

but at least rocafort draws pretty people

Avril's a plot device who may or may not manage to get characterized

Killing Man-Killer is shittier because she's a total Z-lister who no one cares about, Avril is plot-relevant

I like Batman being beaten up but I'm tired of Thawne

Also Zub's last letter just made me angrier enough I'm considering a full-on email to that address saying "More Bolts, No Zub"

Eh. Bruce got his ass beat by Thawne, Imra freaked out because a hockey player got beaten to death on the ice. Nothing makes sense yet.

When I saw the name, my brain immediately jump to "Ooh! Cosmic stuff!". Alas, no.

Someone suggested the guy on the ice could be the Batman of the 31st Century.

To be totally honest I wish they would just leave off Watchmen. I guess I'm a purist with it, but I just roll my eyes. Even with Darwyn Cooke, I'd rather he had gotten to do his own thing over Before Watchmen. But buyers gonna buy, no doubt it's something you can market.

So, did Allred work on something ahead of this to get good will for these Toth and Frazetta sketches?

I'll tell you what wasn't good. Thunderbolts.

youtube.com/watch?v=qRBM-yCEOt8

I'm not convinced that guy was someone important besides acting as a distraction to make Barry late.

Yeah, but Abe might be dead too, and Man Killer defo is.

If they can do something short and interesting with it and not make it a HUGE LINE-WIDE EVENT, then eh, I'm more indifferent than anything. I guess I consider it valid as an Earth in the DCU Multiverse and thus fair game, considering the degree to which it's metafictionally warped the Charlton characters themselves

I think he's always been well-liked in the comics community

What's really funny is the amount of outrage coming from people and out and out admit they don't read comics.

>The Marvel meeting at the Diamond Summit in Chicago just broke. Press and phones were banned from the presentation to comic book retailers, and it wasn’t just so that no retailer would get a recording of another Marvel exec talking about diversity.

>They also talked about Marvel Legacy, teased recently, and what it will mean for a number of their titles,

>So we will see the fall of Peter Parker and Parker Industries as part of the Spider-Man books.

>Tying in thematically with Thor: Ragnarok, we will see the Return to Planet Hulk in the Hulk books.

>And then the resurrection of Tony Stark in Iron Man.

>But this is not a crossover, not an event, not a mini-series, more of a rebranding. There will be a one-shot called Marvel Legacy #1, but that’s it. It’s kickstarting the Bleeding Cool-rumoured “Make Mine Marvel”. Marvel confirmed that, yes, as Bleeding Cool reported they are returning some titles to their legacy numbering, while still crafting the titles to be new reader friendly. And there will be a handout explaining how each title gets to the issue number they arrive at.

>And while there is some factor of moving back to some kind of Nuts and Bolts for certain characters, they insist this will not be at the expense of any of the newer diverse characters.

>And yes, one of the big things they showed was an image of all the new and diverse characters of Marvel, including Ironheart, Ms Marvel, Thor, etc, with the banner saying in large letters THIS IS MARVEL. David Gabriel didn’t give it more than a passing comment without context, but it was a result of the recent internet discussions about diversity at Marvel. It was pretty clear to retailers there that Marvel are committed to these characters, their diversity, and that they were here to stay.

bleedingcool.com/2017/04/20/marvel-legacy-brings-back-planet-hulk-tony-stark-announced-2017-diamond-summit/

hmmm

I came up with that theory, but this tweet makes me think I'm wrong twitter.com/TravisEllisor/status/818247320252940289
>@TomKingTK I'm just now listening to your appearance on Gotham by Geeks from November and I am shocked you weren't aware of Brane Taylor!

Hey Cranky, what kind of bribe do I have to give you to never post in a Wildstorm thread ever again?

>2) lol n00b a dead Quasar is when their plot begins

With how little focus Avril's gotten in a year, I'm not going to start expecting them to start giving shits about writing her into things now, no matter how blatant Spencer copies Gru.

Their tears give me life

it was so much worse than I'd expected

you guys came up with a million better ways to do that plot, last night's thread

I second this.

Also, Griffles best boy

I meant mainly that of course they're not reading and don't give a shit about her as a character, they just want to score points off him killing a lesbian because that's a Bad Thing

>Batman of the 31st Century
I really hope not. The worst thing you can do to the Legion is pander to casuals and Bat-fags.

We've already seen this with Thunderbolts. The Legion needs a good writer, not a Poochie.

If there's no creative mix-up or admission of faults (and their won't be, because nobody is really calling out Marvel for just being plain shitty with most of their comics) then I don't see what changes.

I am there for the Priest Inhumans thing, especially because I don't think Ewing's Inhumans is going to grab me at all.

fuck nine panels we twelve

AND flipbook bottom.

Royals strikes me as self-indulgent Ewing

>>“Our intention was to launch Quasar out of Conquest, but that wasn’t working,” says Bill Rosemann. “I saw how people were responding to [Star-Lord’s team], and it was my favorite part of the whole event. I thought, I want more of this. So then the gears shifted. We were going to try to launch Quasar? No—let’s do a team book.”

You broke Judge user heart.

Absolutely, and the Man-Killer thing doubly so. I mean that was a rare moment of character in the Z-Bolts run because Atlas sees her get wasted and he's like "Shit, I have to try and stop this"

I would be fucking there for the Avril Quasar book with Wendell as mentor, but we've not gotten it and as yet I don't care that much (and it's probably a fake-out death anyway). The desperation to nail Spencer for every little thing is just tiresome.

I would totally have read "Jolt figures out that the best way to save Atlas is to get Helmut's attention and bargain and then they fight SE from the inside", for fuck's sake. She's his little sister, and her relationship to Zemo has always been the most wary.

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get a kick out of the fact my opinions seem to viscerally offend people.

I kinda feel like Savage Dragon only exists at this point because Erik's in charge at Image and still feels like doing it.

I don't mind argument but there's flagellating a dead equine

Hey now, the man has opinions that must be heard, and the conviction to argue for literally 12 hours

>Royals strikes me as self-indulgent Ewing
Yeah. Which I've read before (here's Ewing and your boy Jon Davis-Hunt circa 2008) but fun, self-indulgent Ewing is a different thing to serious, self-indulgent Ewing.

>I'm tired of Thawne

Him being a petty dick is fun, and he's been kinda great on DCCW, but yeah, I can see it. Especially since he kinda wrecked Barry Allen as a character by letting Geoff Johns be IRL Hunter Zolomon.

And it's not as just fucking lunatic as Scioli doing this kind of narration/action

and Fun Ewing aint' selling, even as he rolls with mandatory tie-ins as well as anyone I've seen.

F for Nova

To be honest Cranky the only thing that really bothers me is you'll reply 100% of the time every time until someone makes a joke out of it. Gotta have some levity in my long-term arguments.

Also you'll never back down on any point, will constantly move goalposts and refuse to accept the existence of anything you weren't aware of at the start of the argument as influential in any way, but

I think McFarlane once said he wanted to surpass Cerebus as the longest-running creator owned title out there (nevermind the fact that Cerebus had a more or less consistent creative team through its 300 issues whereas Todd has hired and booted off god-knows-how-many writers and artists on Spawn), maybe Larsen is aiming for something similar? Or maybe it's just what he does when he's bored, who knows? The series stopped making sense a long time ago.

>To be totally honest I wish they would just leave off Watchmen.

This is an entirely fair sentiment regardless of purist tendencies.
It's a fine standalone work and requires little embellishment, and doing something like, making Dr. Manhattan a multiversal villain just punts the ending into oncoming traffic.

I kind of admire that SD is whatever the fuck Larsen feels like doing, there's a certain purity of vision to it--it's really just him and incredibly weird threesomes

F to Kingpin and Elektra as well

>I think he's always been well-liked in the comics community

So then just like con commissions or something?
It's just going from a place of this being the first major work of his that I know of.

>F for Nova
F

It was a good Nova book AND it was also basically the Green Lantern book I wish I had ;_;7 you will be missed

Yeah that's basically how I feel. Watchmen isn't even my favorite Moore work but I do really rate Moore so often feel obliged to argue for him.

And Star-Lord what, three issues? That's just fucking sad, that can't have been planned. At least Foolkiller got a rounded five, Gamora was a prequel and thus always mini-hinted...

I've seen some fussing today about "Why is DC doing this kind of new stuff and not expanding on things like the kids from WAR or more Khalid or another Omega Men story", to which I think "They learned not to keep fucking that one chicken"

Nova was shit hot too. Just proves it's a crapshoot on whether a comic sells relative to whether it's good or bad.

>Scioli
Would certainly be 1000% times more hype for Tom Scioli doing a weird edgy nth metal book than I am for Snyder's.

I'd have a lot more faith in "Marvel Legacy" if Novas wasn't fucking cancelled at #7 instead of getting mad promotion to goose sales.

Star-Lord was Zdarsky, wasn't it?

it's basically what I wanted Rebirth Blue Beetle to be

RIP in pieces

I'm really hoping that Metal isn't just "established characters besides Batman are all fucking useless so that the new ones can look cool"

Please be good.

Fair enough. Though in all seriousness, The Wild Storm was pretty solid this issue. It's really slow, but it somehow has me by the balls.

It's an interesting companion to Rebirth, with both being soft reboots with different approaches. Rebirth is basically "Okay, we fucked up, let us try to fix it.", whereas The Wild Storm is a straight up mulligan and wipes the slate clean from the utter clusterfuck the whole imprint had become, especially concerning the ill-advised attempt at mainline integration.

Was it really 12hours? Damn. Imagine how much of pain in the ass I must been when arguing about something I actually care about.

My feeling on it is that I do understand his position but I know someone who's done a lot of contract law and says "This is...a pretty standard book contract clause" and doesn't have much sympathy for "I don't need an agent--hey, why do I keep getting screwed"

Yeah, and now he's on one of so fucking many Spider books, feels like an oversupply

>The line will kick off in August with Dark Nights: Metal, written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo. That’s right: The team behind a recent fan-favorite six-year run on Batman are once again teaming up for a DC comic, and this one promises to be unlike anything that came before. DC’s vague teaser text promises “a story that will examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, opening up worlds that are forged by nightmares.” In the video above, Capullo elaborates that they’re “opening doors nobody thought we were gonna go through… the promo I did was Batman holding two battle axes, so this is the kind of crazy stuff we’re gonna see in this.”
I was fucking rolling at that last line NGL.

The only reason why I keep suggesting the Tim Drake end up in the Legion is that his bros work really well there, compared to the somewhat crowded DC Present.

I'd rather never see Bart and Kon again if the alternative was the Batfam creeping their way into the Legion

DC wouldn't stop at just one, it wouldn't be long until 70% of the cast was related to Batman

It's doing so far a good job updating the conspiracy bones of the WSU into current tech and not falling into the trap that I see so many novelists do wherein they just don't realize how tech would have to change a plot

Waiting eagerly to see more Voodoo music videos, that's a fine update from 'exotic dancer'

Come to think of it, both old and now new WS have a lot of good women

I actually really hate the flipbook bit because it distracts me from the page. It's probably less distracting in physical.

Shout out to that 16 panel page in the weird Omega Men we read.

Zealot, Angie, Kenesha, Jenny, Voodoo, Adrianna

damn, that's good stuff

I really want a transparent image of that one Grifter panel.

Ellis has a fairly good sense for "this needs to be fukken cool"

F for Nova indeed.

Probably the tightest book Marvel's been running lately.

there is no fairness

OP is a faggot

hi sugartits

what else was good?

those upcoming Mr. Stroke covers are great

did anyone read the new Nick Fury comic by ACO?

I love how Craven doesn't even seem to give a shit that Angela saved the life of one of his high priority enemies, just that her suit is such a huge game changer. You're absolutely right in that technology can and historically caused radical changes to any given field.

>Come to think of it, both old and now new WS have a lot of good women
It's easy to have good female characters when you write them as people. And on Voodoo, changing her profession was definitely intentional, because frankly, having her be an exotic dancer is just silly and kinda pander-y.

I feel like Nightwing was ok, but I can't remember anything about it

>Tearing out a man's heart and double foot stomping on it.

Madman is hardcore, bro

Yeah. Did you? I didn't think much of it.

That's basically the entire book though

no, but the preview pages looked cool

He's an absolute madman.

you're not wrong

What do I need to read for ded Bucky? most recent Thunderbolts?

yeah, it's less "...really?" and it gives the music video imagery and celebrity status possibilities, which are relevant

I downloaded it but didn't read it, I didn't read much