He did the unthinkable...

He did the unthinkable. He was so successful that he was able to completely break away from the Hollywood machine and make his films his way. And not cheap Clerks tier flicks, but 100+ million dollar blockbusters. Completely self funded. Beholden to no one. The director's guild couldn't even get him to put credits on the beginning of his films. Who needs them anyway when you're a fucking billionaire?

True auteur-ship has never been achieved at this level before, and it will never be achieved again because you bullied him until he lost the will to make movies. Instead you've helped to further fuel a mega-conglomerate which will keep buying up every property they can get their greedy jew mitts on and putting out soulless, committee driven movies to be consumed and immediately forgotten. Are you happy with yourselves? Because this is the future you've chosen, and it is the future you deserve.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html)?
youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk
web.archive.org/web/20150217031603/http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you retarded? Lucas single-handedly killed auteur cinema with the first Star Wars. He is to blame for Sorcerer seeming like money thrown away to big studios in a way that is no different from ET ruining the original run of The Thing.

Lucas paved the way for capeshit and the Emoji movie, you stupid motherfucker. He is the enemy along with studio execs who enable his tripe.

There is literally nothing more reddit than liking Star Wars

I like to imagine a timeline where star wars wasn't saved in editing and sorcerer became the blockbuster template, while lucas spends a decade or so as a working director.

Ironic

and yet Sup Forums is still getting its panties in a twist over liberals "ruining" a story that has always been about opposing a fascist regime

Same, because in that reality Lynch would have never tried to direct Dune but some form of Twin Peaks would probably still have happened.

Star Wars was totally Lucas, just like he created Indiana Jones. Stop disrespecting him with old OT loving fanboy fake memes.

You're a retard, Jaws was the blockbuster formula and just because you think "artistic movie = auteur movie" doesn't make it true. Get a clue, kid.

I'm not saying this board hasn't been compromised. SW is legit manchildren shit, and same as capeshit, they cry when girls start stealing their movie franchise.

Jaws was a fucking good movie and did not make literally every fucking studio go into a genre wars for all of the 80's, moron.

It created every horror movie in the 80s and Star Wars was a great movie as well (nominated for Best Picture and Screenplay! Based George!). 80s was also very memorable for films so unless you like Jason and Freddy more than Predator and Alien I don't even see your complaint.

Jaws ripoffs are still being made today. Not that that has anything to do with the original point of this thread. Just because Hollywood tries to emulate someone's success with a slew of shitty movies doesn't make the original auter's work any less valuable.

This
Megacorps taking over Hollywood is the natural consequence of the garbage from Lucas and Spielberg.

This is unrelated, but the irony is that the American left are all about totalitarianism and government overreach, and yet they think of themselves as "rebels".

> The director's guild couldn't even get him to put credits on the beginning of his films.

Explain?

He quit the DGA because of the shit they gave him for refusing to put opening credits on the OT.

>I have a personal net worth of $5 billion. Please feel bad for me.
Fuck you, Lucas.

The Last Jedi is better than every Prequel movie + Return of the Jedi

Bullshit. Lucas had 20 years of good will before Phantom Menace where he didn't direct a single movie. Nobody bullied him out of the director's seat.

Lucas was worth $1.4 billion before selling to Disney. He could have made ten more movies by now and still kept going (even the crappiest SW film is at least going to break even).

He just did what literally every other man does. He got old and sold all his crap so he could fart around on a golf course for the rest of his life.

Jason Goes to Hell was actually the first horror movie I ever watched, and while I agree with that Jaws ripoffs are still being made today, it is not like horror as we see today started with Jaws. If anything, Hitchcock was a lot more of an influence.

this, i get so tired listening to my friends shit on lucas cause they watched an RLM video that validated their pathetic opinions that the prequels were dumb and should have been action movies, fuck world building right? fucking fake star wars fans

>I'm making films just for myself now

what the fuck does it mean

this seriously annoys me, such a horrid combination of a collective victim complex and ignorance being treated as a good quality, fuck i hate shitlibs

it's a mystery

the phantom menace opening scene is better than all the dogshit disney has come up with, but you started watching star wars after 2005 so whatever, not a real fan

Did you miss the quote in OP (it's real nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html)? It's pretty clear the "fans" pushed him too far.

Another bit from that interview.
>When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

Did James Cameron achieve this, and choose to blow it all up on Avatar 2,3,4,5,6,7,8+

Actually, the enemy is you, user.

Is that why Fox distributed his movies? Prequel apologists are all mental patients.

So what you're saying is that George Lucas is a dumb pussy? Gotcha.

Moron

It's funny how all of those things apply to the alt-right incels more than anyone else.

>from my point of view it is the jedi that are evil
what did he mean by this

>hurgh
Nice counter-argument, dicklips.

>self identifying as a "le true star wars fan"
Fucking surreal, kill yourself my man.

I never jumped on the reddit hatewagon in the first place. II was one of my favorite Star Wars movies as a kid and I has been one of my favorite as an adult.

III is utter shlock though, just a bunch of edgy dialogue and meaningless lightsaber fights.

Reminder that George Lucas has always been a hack and that the original Star Wars was saved in editing.
youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

What does that have to do with anything? They had no say in the way the movies were made, they were simply distributing a finished product.

>What does that have to do with anything?
You have the attention span of a goldfish, you should sue your parents.
>He was so successful that he was able to completely break away from the Hollywood machine

You can't even follow the thread you're posting on. No wonder why you're trying to defend Lucas.

>Wish the OT had never been made/successful
>REEEEEEEE FUKKIN FANBOI
Are you retarded?

Shouldn't you be in school? Your lack of reading comprehension to understand what this thread is about suggests to me that you're underage.

funny how alt-righters aren't out there being like #RESIST when they are clearly the ones being attacked by media and rabid leftees but you guys are clearly the downtrodden underdogs cause the company that makes your cell phone told you so

>Star Wars was totally Lucas
Yeah, Marcia Lucas. George's cut was so ridiculously stupid it might as well have been a prequel.

lol must be why he was the only person who talked when Indiana Jones was created, Lucas was a visionary and you are NOTHING

I don't think you know what distribution means.

Editing is underneath the umbrella of direction, what are you even on about

You're the one trying to change the subject instead of pointing out how being distributed by one of the biggest movie studios is "breaking away from the hollywood machine". It seems quite the opposite.
How do you manage to tie your own shoelaces?

>disney defense shills are in full force
>can't even leave a lucas appreciation thread which speaks nothing of VII alone

You think I give a fuck?

>Star Wars is kino shitlord

lol ok, there are three editors credited and EVERY movie gets edited. Lucas didn't like the original cut so brought in other editors, his wife contributed but not big time. Might as well not credit Scorsese for Taxi Driver.

>lol must be why he was the only person who talked when Indiana Jones was created
Yeah, I don't know what you're going for here. Take a five, collect your thoughts and try again.
>Editing is underneath the umbrella of direction
Perhaps that's why the original cut was unwatchable until his wife went to town on it.

Are you retarded? The whole point was that he made the movies exactly how he wanted to make them, completely self funded and without any outside interference. Who gives a donkey's dick about the distribution?

how can you think people shitting on Star Wars as a whole means they work for Disney trying to promote a new movie

>Are you retarded? The whole point was that he made the movies exactly how he wanted to make them
Except not at all, he only directed star wars, which had pretty much to be rebuilt in re-edits and reshoots. When left to his own devices, not only did he direct some of the worst movies ever made, he took the older movies other people made for him and tried his best to fuck them up.
George is a pioneer in terms of film technology, sound and had some brilliant ideas. A writer and director, he's not.

because disney doesn't even want you to think that star wars existed before they got their paws on it

that's not true, he brought in two others who did the editing after the original cut was boring and his wife helped after she finished with Taxi Driver. as far as Indiana Jones I mean the transcript where he comes up with everything and it all ends up in the various films.

So Disney wants full credit for something a lot of people in this board hate, and to do that they post hating it?

Brilliant marketing strategy.

Source?

There's no source, is talking out of his ass. It's easier to say people are shills than admitting that you have shit taste and that your favorite franchise got overtaken harder than Ghostbusters.

>because you bullied him until he lost the will to make movies
He should have never sold off SW. It would have been the ultimate 'fuck you'

But instead, this greedy fuck decided to cash out.

>that's not true
It's absolutely true, I'm sorry facts hurt your feefees. That movie was completely incoherent until a team of editors collage'd it into making sense.

>Totally Lucas
Marcia Lucas did the editing, Carrie checked the script, John Williams did the music, Ralph Mc Quarrie who created the designs (not the Ewoks though, he hated them but Lucas loved those), the iconic look of Darth Vader among many other things

A lot more people have seen the originals, shill

>After attempting to persuade Jympson to cut the film his way, Lucas replaced him with Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew. He also allowed his then-wife, Marcia Lucas, to aid the editing process while she was cutting the film New York, New York (1977) with Lucas's friend Martin Scorsese. Richard Chew found the film to have a lethargic pace and to have been cut in a by-the-book manner: scenes were played out in master shots that flowed into close-up coverage. He found that the pace was dictated by the actors instead of the cuts. Hirsch and Chew worked on two reels simultaneously

Imagine being this wrong! Kill yourselves mouse shills

I don't like either of them, how am I a shill? SW is fucking shit.

what is Directors Guild?

is it like Navigators Guild?

Well it seems you just proved that it was not Lucas in charge of the editing, thanks.

Also I find it funny that it seems you think that there are either people with Disney or with Lucas, I wonder what you would have said before the Dysney buy out, do you also think there are only fascists and communists in politics?

No, Cameron's always been insecure at being in Lucas and Spielberg's shadow.
That's why he's so determined to turn Avatar into Star Wars, cause it's his only very successful film that is completely his. Aliens is a sequel, Terminator is ripped off someone else and Titanic is based on a true story and can't really have a sequel.

EVERY DIRECTOR AS AN EDITOR

holy shit you are clueless

>It would have been the ultimate 'fuck you'
Selling to Disney was the ultimate 'fuck you'.

wow that's amazing, couldn't imagine Star Wars without the threat of the death star blowing the rebel's base.

Well, editing is part of the process, a director's job is to filter ideas from his team, calling Lucas a hack for letting the editors do their job doesn't seem right to me.

literally his company by gullett's admission, why shouldn't he just do whatever he wants

The text you pasted proves the other guy right, though. Maybe you should read the shit you copy before posting it.
What a jackass, holy shit.

I'd agree with you, but I did watch the prequels. The man is better as a manager and ideas guy. He's gifted when it comes to filmmaking technology, visuals and audio. He'd probably be one of the best producers ever if he didn't insist on becoming a director or writer.

I think your quote trivializes it a bit. And is worth reading into instead.

web.archive.org/web/20150217031603/http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

Of course he should be able to, that doesn't mean one should not get judged for his actions. Neither should one behave as if they are just better than their peers, unlike what TV may say, intelligence and money should not be free tickets to be assholes.

Imagine if the Sup Forums Mods started banning the discussion of a whatever TV series you like, because Hiroshimoot does not, he can, but wouldn't you call him out?

>When left to his own devices, not only did he direct some of the worst movies ever made
American Graffiti is one of the BEST movies of all time though.

Yes, However, They were still shit!

Well, with the kind of shit Disney has been putting out, maybe you're right.

That way even the OT didn't survive. Everything Star Wars has been thoroughly shat on.

If lucas was an auteur he wouldn't have remade and rereleased the OT a dozen times. He's just some idea guy turned jew then turned whiny fag because he turned jew and was rightly shat upon. Hack should have tried transcendental meditation.

auteur isn't up to your definition

Not that user, but I think we need to be less extremist, the side "against" Lucas should not say that Lucas did nothing at all, is just that, to each his own merit, some people are good at dressing the characters in a movie, some at making the music, some writing the script, some directing.

There have been movies, very old movies and indie productions where someone decided to make most of these and more things, but either it was an exception or it would have been a job done better by someone actually specialized in that job, is the metaphor of the Advocate and the secretary, is one of the economic's pillars, car makers don't tend to make their own tires, they just buy them from companies who specialize in doing them.

Tl dr: Star Wars was a team effort.

I unironically liked Dune

Who gives a shit
Lucas sucks ass

All of you are morons. Lucas comissioned everything and had final say on all designs. Which is all of the GOAT designs you take for granted cant be reproduced. Disney has a literal army of people that cant get it right. Thats how good Lucas is.

True auteurs are never satisfied.

>17:40 Now I'd like to take the time to give a very special thanks to Garreth Gilchrist

There is a difference between wanting more and giving up. LuCASH gave up.

Yes, I thought the general consensus was that Lucas became a bad director because he surrounded himself by yes men on the prequels.

Also the Rough Draft of the first film (Annikin Starkiller story) was bloated with political stuff (that later ended up on Episode I), so we could also say that he was a bad writer without help from his team and friends.

OP is right, regardless if he's baiting or not. Lucas did as he pleased, he followed his vision. You might think that his vision is complete garbage, but I still find him respectable for not being pushed around.

he didn't follow his vision he followed toy sales.

Did his vision include shitloads of toy money?

His vision was toy sales.

sure. you're just mad he's a sucessful bussiness man and you aren't.

George didn't even want to make these multi-million dollar monstrosities. He wanted to make shockly adventure/fantasy/sci-fi like Flash Gordon and The Phantom.