Everybody is going on about Scaramouch saying penis and Ashi being the focus of the episode...

Everybody is going on about Scaramouch saying penis and Ashi being the focus of the episode, but I don't see a lot of discussion on the ghostly samurai that led jack to the suicide cemetery.
Considering how he had been physically communicating and fighting with Ashi, it's established that he was a real being, unlike the imaginary voices Jack had been arguing with for the last several episodes. So that begs the question as to what or who he was. If he wasn't the manifestation of Jack's desire to kill himself, was he the ghost of samurai honor? Is the graveyard itself magic and that's why Ashi could see it? Have other people been able to see this ghostly horseman following Jack around for some 50 years?
It seems like such an interesting and vague topic, but people are ignoring in favor of the cameos.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ntiPIVSiysQ
mega.nz/#!r5wj3YRL!AeptI4zyNMVBl5tFUP0CLBmKstJEhUJBbole9bmBNJc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ghost of Samurai Honor seems most likely

Although it was never explained in this scene what his relationship with Jack was and why Jack would bother listening to a bunch of random ghosts ( and probably never will be) its just speculation at this point that the ghosts were fallen samurai warriors that watched over other samurai like Jack and made sure they adhered to the code of Bushido.

If they abandoned that code and dishonored them, they would be haunted by them until they give up and commit suicide.

its been said a lot of time, its some sort of japanese spirit that punish the unworthy

hes the Japanese version of the grim reaper

I figured he was a Suicide Spirit

Wonder how long it's been haunting him.
Maybe for as long as he's had that Samurai mask in the first episode?

what
did ep6 air already

I'm sure if you want to dig into the mythology of Japanese spirits you could find some interesting things, but with respect to the show, he was exactly what he appeared to be and portrayed himself as. He was an ancestor spirit which embodied the dishonor which Jack feels and which carried around a big book of Sudoku in case he ever got tired of living.

I remember some user saying a few weeks ago that he looks like his armor is styled after a real famous samurai from history. Perhaps he and the other ghosts are simply ancient samurai who watch over living samurai.

Want to hear some old news?

It's a shinigami.

I think they were testing him. They were expecting Ashi to interfere.

The silhouette of his head is that of a stags skull. It's the Wild Hunt man.

Im pretty sure they wanted Ashi to fuck off since they tried stopping her from interfering several times

Was anyone else really bummed out that he gave up the sword after Jack left instead of training and becoming a wise old master?

Ashi wasn't even the focus of the episode, just the protagonist.

Episodes air saturday.

And what day was yesterday?

shit

Where the fuck have you been dude?

Do you know what day it is?

He was a spirit who, like Jack, also saw him as a failure who abandoned his mission. Jack was trying to fight that feeling by continuing to live and at least save the people since he literally could not defeat Aku without the sword. Even then he still had it in the back of his mind (Sudoku Jack). When he saw the lifeless looking children he felt like he couldn't even do that.
I'm going with the graveyard was his domain and became a more powerful spirit there.

i've been saturated with vodka the last few days
im sorry

It seems like he was an ancestral spirit or some kind of kami representing honorable death.

He wasn't evil, it seemed, he was just REALLY into bushido and therefore wanted the last samurai to die with dignity.

Could some user do a wallpaper with this frame? It looks fucking metal.

I got you bro

Ah, well, at least that makes sense. No need to be sorry.

Good man

I was. I was hoping his relevance would last a little longer than just being a cameo. There's a possibility that he might still bring his bar of broken warriors to the final fight though, don't give up hope for Da Bartender

He's black.

Nice start, but you can do better than that user. I believe in you.

>only 4 more episodes

They better pull off some Gurren Lagann tier final episodes.

>Da Bartender
youtube.com/watch?v=ntiPIVSiysQ

nice

>looks metal
>Jack is in the midst of holding the mic up and headbanging

Gotchu famalam. This is the best I've been able to do so far, need higher quality source to rip from.

Yeah, he was literally an evil ghost that bring people towards suicide.
It was quite disappointing, they should have explained better the fact he was unrelated to the hallucinations or Aku

They made it pretty obvious it was an embodiment of Jack's doubt and/or guilt. It turns out that's exactly what it was. It was a literal enemy he couldn't defeat because he had lost his way. That in itself must have worn on him psychologically.

So far, so good. Thanks a lot mate! Maybe you can use a screenshot from the episode, if you have it downloaded?
I've tried to make one myself, but my ImprPant key is busted.

>didn't even remove watermark

I haven't been able to find a download, I just took a screenshot of the frame from a stream. Do you have a link?
Man I don't know how to do that in a way that doesn't look like shit. I could look up a tutorial but I'm a little busy for that atm.

OH FUCK
GENNDY IS HERE

Man this episode was odd.
I enjoyed it but very odd

>I haven't been able to find a download, I just took a screenshot of the frame from a stream. Do you have a link?

Sure thing buddy.
mega.nz/#!r5wj3YRL!AeptI4zyNMVBl5tFUP0CLBmKstJEhUJBbole9bmBNJc

I would do it but I'm on phone. If you have photoshop, the spot healing tool usually works well on simple stuff like this. If not, copying another fragment and unevenly erasing edges should look acceptable.

Ugh, I'm so tired of telling people the same thing over and over, he is just a ghost, samurais have an honor code, he failed as a samurai, he failed as a samurai, the only honorable thing to do is commit sudoku, on this universe ghosts, gods, demons, sirens and other magical creatures exists, he is just a ghost, Honda Tadakatsu's ghost, the samurai warrior "who surpassed death itself" there is no deep metaphorical bullshit going on here, just a mad ghost telling jack to commit seppuku because is the only honorable thing to do.

He is a ghost - a *real* one - but he's also a reflection of Jack. The whole sequence at the end implied there was some sort of samurai-related incident that led to the confrontation. The ghost is like a force of nature that is drawn to fallen samurai.

Thanks user

What if Demongo ends up gaining control over those ghosts? He did say he was looking for the swords of the greatest warriors, and the ghosts refer to themselves as the "greatest warriors of past" or something very similar.

Post yfw the final episode is an hour long

I still think there is someone who is trying to drive Jack into suicide.
I don't think Suicide Jack will disappear.

I'll bet we will see his visions of himself at least one more time in the next episode before he gets his sword back.

>Final episode is a movie.

Genuine laughter

And he will talk to dead people (who are not actually dead)

I wonder if we will see a glimpse of the gods next episode.

I hope so.
Ghost Scotsman will get into Jack's head and throw the parasite out!

I was really glad the horseman wasn't a manifestation of Jack's guilt or some retarded shit like that. But I was kinda hoping he was the guy Jack was fighting when he lost his sword.

>where does the compression begin!?!

>everyone ITT who needs explanations of EVERYTHING that happens and isn't comfortable with ambiguity or mystery remaining in a fictional world.

This postmodernist mentality is what has led to the insane amounts of exposition and the ruin of storytelling in modern media. Jesus fuck.

Holy hell user, thanks a lot. You're a godsend.

Y'all act like mad jack didn't hide away and grow all these years after his defeat, but the madness has been growing in jack what if jack never gets back to the past.

Damn, you did a way better job getting rid of the watermark than I did. Regardless, thanks for the tip

So which do people think will happen first, Jack finds the sword or Aku finds out he doesn't have it?

>Rave keeps going on for fifty years
>CAN'T
>STOP
>THE
>BEAT

>People fucked, got pregnant, gave birth, and their children grew up, all during a massive party

lol, i was just lazy & didn't want to spend time on making the crack under the [AS] logo look nice

>Children are freed from Aku's control
>By then, the damage is done
>Either they destroyed their homes or stigma prevents them from going back to their families
>The majority of them have nowhere to go
>Left with nothing, nothing to lose, the rave continues
>Word spreads and outcasts/runaways flock from all over to join the ever-party
>Nomadic raver tribe forms
And I guess Olivia became the DJ/chieftain at some point.

I think that this episode was suppose to show that the kids had always been ravers and that Aku just turned them into evil ravers.

Shut your fag mouth. Hamurai Jerk is gay and so are cartoons. Fucking kill yourself and your family. Asscheek ruined Samurai Jack, just like females ruin everything. Bravo Snyder.

Grundy is a fucking hack. Ashi ruins everything.

Everything?

>I don't see a lot of discussion on the ghostly samurai that led jack to the suicide cemetery.
Because he sucked. After all the build up, he turned out to be a generic baddie that Jack could fight away.

YA NECK-BEARD HAVIN'

>Not understanding it was a test to find his resolve again or die in disgrace if he couldn't.

Full autism.

It was Mad Jack all over again but with a crappy conclusion.

>what if jack never gets back to the past.

That's actually one of the prevalent theories I've been hearing. Since Aku appears to be unkillable (the most the sword can do is seal him away), Jack will ultimately decide that, since he's now effectively immortal, to remain in the future and watch over Aku if he were to break free again, while simultaneously help rebuild the world and free the people.

It reruns Wednesday at 10:00, you can catch it then

>Not understanding it was a test to find his resolve again or die in disgrace if he couldn't
Why do you people think that others don't understand this? Knowing the reasoning of his existence doesn't excuse the shitty execution of the subplot.

Then what was the problem?

You, assuming is you, said he was a generic baddie. Most of the generic baddies in Samurai Jack are minions of Aku who attempt to kill Jack via a direct physical confrontation.

Omen was a spirit that seemed to be independent of Aku, and he tried to get Jack to kill himself for reasons not fully understood. Jack defeated him more by gaining hope and resisting despair than by attacking him with the sword, it was a more psychological confrontation than a physical one. The only other antagonist like that that I can remember was Mad Jack.

Additionally he had a ton of foreshadowing in previous episodes, which is not the case for most generic baddies.

>implying he won't show up to Funk-a-Chop Aku's henchmen in the final battle of Aku and Bounty Hunters vs. Jack and Friends

Grundy sorry.

kek

He just wants some pants

I'm loving the new season thus far but i thought this part was disappointing.

First i thought maybe he was a messenger from the Gods sent to lead Jack back to the sword and was mistaken as the grim reaper since Jack's psyche was so damaged

Then i figured he was a manifestation of his doubts and thoughts of suicide like you said

At the very least i wish he could have been another minion of Aku who was trying to kill Jack this way, it would have been very clever.

The real thing turned out to be much less interesting.

I was hoping the son of the baby he helped showed up as a badass Axeman named Momotaro.

You know the entire thing was "power of friendship" setup from the beggining, right?

I am surprised they still had the Rave going on, despite that episode being originally an aesop "good kids don't go to hardcore parties" episode.

What if Demongo shows up at the beginning of the final battle and gets one shot Jack/Scotsman?

He was a waste of fuckin' time who went down like a chump.

I wonder what would happen if he sealed Aku, went back in time, released a super bet up aku on top of the aku that just sent jack to thefuture in episode one, nd then stbbed both and sealled both at the same time.

The show's pacing and tone have been completely fucked over after episode 3. Too much is being rushed and dropped to fully take in and I'm not nearly as invested in the show anymore because of it. The spirit-horseman has just become another example of the seasons' flaws - in that he just comes off as another completely wasted (and pointless) opportunity that didn't go anywhere. It feels like filler.

If anything, it would've been much better if they had never even included the horseman to begin with, and instead brought back ghost-Jack back for ep. 6's conclusion. It would've added more depth to Jack's inner suicidal turmoils and tied-in with the Ghost-Jack callbacks from previous episodes.

That and Ashi wouldn't be able to see him, since he's just a figment of Jack's PTSD - which would eventually lead Ashi to realize that Jack's a very troubled man suffering from hallucinations about her past (much like herself with her hallucinations about her mother.) It would've given more depth to their parallels and development bond.

It doesn't help that ghost Jack was suddenly dropped either; we haven't seen him since ep. 4.

All in all, season 5 really should've been AT LEAST 15 episodes instead of 10. Hell, maybe even 20 episodes, because ten 20-minute episodes is too damn short for a series finale with an ongoing narrative.

My headcanon is that it was a manifestation of Jack's desire to kill himself that was able to materialized because of the location.

holy shit what if demongo finds the corpses of the other daughters and uses them in a final fight against jack and ashi

They weren't expecting Ashi to interfere, but expecting Jack regain pick up hope.

i think getting a person's essence requires them to be alive

Bullshit Japanese folklore in a show that never used bullshit Japanese folklore to explain anything before
It felt like a cop out, what a let down they can't even make ten episodes right

>a whole episode about an ancient japanese demon that steals the souls of japanese families set in a traditional japanese house that has no connection to Aku is never brought up again

B-b-b-ut not muh

The best part was the other ghost samurai merely returning to their graves in disappointment instead of fighting.

I'm not entirely versed in the Bushido code but I imagine cancelling your own sudoku is the most shameful thing one can do. They came back for one moment to witness their honorable culture still being upheld, yet was treated to the most disgusting thing ever, but could do nothing but disappear back into the void.

>never used bullshit Japanese folklore to explain anything before
Aku is Literally a piece of Amatsu-Mikaboshi granted self-awareness