Anastasia on Broadway, based on Don Bluth's animated film, opens tonight!

Anastasia on Broadway, based on Don Bluth's animated film, opens tonight!

Highlights reel: youtube.com/watch?v=nE_c-xm7FrI

Extended Once Upon a December (starts at 1:46): broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-ANASTASIA-Journeys-to-Broadway--Watch-Highlights-20170424

Other urls found in this thread:

broadwayworld.com/article/ANASTASIA-to-Audio-Livestream-In-a-Crowd-of-Thousands-During-Tonights-Opening-Performance-20170424
vimeo.com/channels/939796/188033071
youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm8QdNR_d8
youtube.com/watch?v=tZfuShr27WA
youtube.com/watch?v=-ixs9wihKmU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yo but where's Rasputin tho

Not in the show, because they've made the show historically plausible, which included removing supernatural elements.

well then what's the point

That new song sounds pretty ass. Still a great OST, hope they didn't cut out too many songs.

Also, is St. Petersburg really that gloomy and bleak?

To tell an interesting, dramatic historical "what if" story using lush music and costumes. That doesn't require including a ridiculous caricature of Rasputin who is also an undead wizard controlling an army of glowing green demon bats.

Listen, im fine with all that, but if they got rid of "in the dark of the night" there is no point.

I prefer the Hartford version of "Land of Yesterday," the Broadway version is too expositional about the exiled Russians compared to Hartford, where it was a fun, silly, wild bring down the house number with lyrics about their new life thrown in for good measure.

The only song cut is In the Dark of the Night for obvious reasons. They still use the melody from In the Dark of the Night at various points in the show, including a melancholic new song that is probably going to be the one people consider the best of all the new numbers.

Why would they include a song that clashes with the rest of the music and has no place considering there's no character who would sing it?

Because it's good and maybe they could finally do it justice without a bunch of animated crap flying around and ruining the mood?

Looks good, musicals about Russia are always interesting

But again, there's no place for the song in the show. No character who would sing it, and no moment where it would work. Why would they include it when it would serve no purpose? They can't do it justice when it doesn't belong in the story.

Saw the preview production bootleg, hopefully we get a Broadway one soon.

I wonder how much of the show's book will have changed because of the lawsuit. I hope they kept the line about smoking in her presence.

This is a complete non-issue. Remember the song about a bugspray salesman in Evita?

BOOOOORIIIIIIING

>wahhh why don't they have my dancing bug song in the show :(

fuck you cunt the dancing bugs were the best part

>They cut out Rasputin and all the goofy magic shit, as well as the best song in the movie

Gay as fuck.

Did they at LEAST relocate Tsarina Dagmar to Denmark where she's supposed to be then? That change always made my autism act up.

Rasputin's portrayal didn't trigger your autism?

No, because it was soooo far out there that there was basically no connection to the real thing.

Meanwhile moving the Tsarina to Paris serves no point other than misinforming the audience about the actual history, all because the writers were scared the brain of the average audience member might explode if exposed to the name of a European city they hadn't heard of before.

thank goodness they got rid of this horrid pink dress from Hartford

They used Paris because the original Yul Brynner movie had Anna meeting the Tsarina in Paris, but there she was just visiting the city.

>someone else that recognizes the 1956 movie

Oh please, if it should not be you... don't ever tell me.

every time Sup Forums has a theatre thread i feel a tiny ounce of glee.

i like the songs but i'm not super excited about the show desu... if i had my choice of russia-based musicals i'd go for Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812

and not at all related but i'm seeing angels in america in london in august, and hamilton in march wheeeeeeee

>tfw tickets for the international premiere of Prince of Egypt April next year

Fucking excite

Reminder that the Jews in Bluths company forced him to make Rasputin the bad guy because the real bad guys of the revolution are their communist kike brothers

They pissed on the grave of a good man to protect themselves

They're going to be livestreaming a song from opening night: broadwayworld.com/article/ANASTASIA-to-Audio-Livestream-In-a-Crowd-of-Thousands-During-Tonights-Opening-Performance-20170424

I found out that one of my current flatmates had never seen Prince of Egypt before, so that was quickly corrected. I'm sure it's fantastic on stage, that /soundtrack/

>20XX
Complaining about
>animated crap
on Sup Forums
I have no -fw- for this.

>no in the dark of the night
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>base the show around the animated movie
>remove literally the only good thing about the entire movie
Why even bother to use the movie as source then ?

So they made it even more of a generic barebones princess story by removing any magical elements and the only fun character.
Who are they trying to appeal to here ? I love my russian history but there's none of it in Anastasia. And the few people that like the movie mostly like it for the animation and Rasputin.
I simply don't see the point to this.

>implying Once Upon a December isn't another good thing about the movie
that's it though

maybe Journey To the Past

I unironically like Rumor in Saint Petersburg

yes, rumor in st petersburg and learn how to do are my two favorite songs and at least we are getting those so is not all bad

considering its selling extremely well and already has a huge fanbase of varIowa ages, I don't think they'll have a problem with appeal.

the new show has a lot more actual history compared to the film.

The Tsar and his family deserved to die.

>Anastasia on Broadway, based on Don Bluth's animated film, opens tonight!
>Proceeds to explain how the broadway version cuts the antagonist and the most recognizable song from the film.

Just say it's a new product entirely at that point, then. It's more loosely tied to the Don Bluth original than nuPPG is tied to PPG.

Including the children?

it's still based on the Don Bluth film.

I've never really understood this line of reasoning. All "based on" adaptations change things, sometimes significantly. The 1997 Bluth film is still considered "based on" the 1956 live action film (and the 1952 play) despite some serious changes. The Broadway version of Aladdin is still considered "based on" the Disney Aladdin film despite some serious changes. And the new musical doesn't really have that many significant changes minus removing the supernatural element. Almost all of the story beats are the same, the details are just changed in certain cases to be more historically plausible.

For instance: in the film, Anya/Dimitri/Vlad have to jump off the train because the demon bats sent by Rasputin are hunting them down. In the new show, they have to jump off the train because it's been stopped by the police and people with forged papers (so, everyone, since the train is full of fleeing aristocrats and intellectuals) are being taken off and shot.

Or, in the film, Anya has a nightmare about her family because of Rasputin's demon bats. In the show, Anya has a nightmare about her family because she survived but can't quite remember the traumatic execution at Ipatiev, and the trauma gives her nightmares.

Okay, I'll watch it. Those performances looked impressive.

>hamilton in march wheeeeeeee

Goddamn it.

I got into musicals because of Hamilton and it's horrible that there is nothing with the same kind of style out there,the closest that I found was Jesus Christmas Super Star.

I just love the mix of hip hop into it, and Miranda is a damn good storyteller with the musics.

there's In The Heights

Go away, you Hamiltonfags are ruining musicals.

musicals ruined musicals well before Hamilton

Paris smells less of fish than Denmark.

>Jesus Christmas Super Star

What
do
you
mean
by
THAT

There is really nowhere to to talk theater on this site.

He was not a very good Tsar. He should have listened to his uncle and actually learned something about his people.

same for ballet. I wish we had a /performing arts/ board.

Speaking of ballet, I'm glad they kept the Swan Lake turns in "Quartet at the Ballet" as per the footage in the OP. I heard they moved them to a different spot in the song though because the applause from the audience was drowning out the next verse.

Webber ruined musicals way before that.

Think this will win a Tony Award or two?

Dear Evan Hansen and The Great Comet will probably lead the pack

I mean there is In The Heights, and I'd argue that the next closest thing is Sondheim in terms of pace (the Witch raps in Into The Woods, goddamn it)?

I had to perform Getting Married Today for a cabaret and goddamn, that's one hell of a song to get down.

>Hamilton is ruining musicals
>Not "Musical version of a movie #850"
come on, guy

If there was, would it be my new favourite board? Probably.

The only award I think it's a shoe-in for is Costume Design. But I guess it depends on the reviews it gets, too... we'll see tonight.

I guess we'll have an even better idea once the Drama Desk nominations are out, those are usually a decent preview of Tony nominations.

That
Is not
a
musical

I wish there was but it would probably be slower than /po/

If anyone wants to hear the song that incorporates a melody from In the Dark of the Night, the show (for some reason) uploaded a soundboard of it a few months ago from the Connecticut production: vimeo.com/channels/939796/188033071

Melody starts at about :45. The song is sung by former aristocrats/intellectuals and other people fleeing Russia at the train station, including Anya, Dimitri and Vlad.

I'm guessing they didn't mean for people to hear these since they're technically private videos but, eh.

So it's basically a "realistic" reboot of the movie?

Pretty much

Reviews will probably be mixed to positive. If Isherwood was still writing for the NYT he'd probably slam it.

Is the cast recording out?

I don't like they took the best song of the movie from the play though.

I think the musical is at least worth a hear because Ramin is in it.

Not yet. It comes out on June 9th.

I wish they had taken a nod from Groundhog Day and recorded the cast recording months back so it would be released closer to opening.

>Remove this
>youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm8QdNR_d8

So you WANT the show to be shit.

>June 9th

Fucking JUNE?
What were they thinking.
Most shows of this season have already released it.

Eh, to be fair about 2 months out from the show's opening is the norm. Dear Evan Hansen opened in December and the recording came out in February. Groundhog Day is unusual in that it came out, what, a week after opening?

Also, the show is currently undergoing a lawsuit so the producers may have been wary about spending the money to record until they were sure the show was selling well.

>Remove the best character
>Remove the best song
>Remove the most interesting aspect of the movie

It's like they WANT it to suck.

Is this the animatic thread?

youtube.com/watch?v=tZfuShr27WA

Did Spibbles/TeeVee/GalactiBun/Whatever the fuck she calls herself nowadays delete everything?

Why would it?

>Dark undead Russian sorcerer whose motive is to fulfill his destiny of killing the Romanovs
>Killing the fun with "muh accuracy in a children's film"

Why are you samefagging?

>vimeo.com/channels/939796/188033071
OK at least they didn't completely forget it, but its still sad it isn't more present

>why would it?

because his autism was triggered by the grandmother being in Paris instead of Denmark? so "Muh accuracy" should have been triggered elsewhere too.

It's also used throughout the show as part of the instrumental score. Same with At the Beginning, which is referenced twice towards the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=-ixs9wihKmU

"In The Dark of the Night" is the most popular thing out of the movie. Even if someone doesn't like the movie they always say "Well, at least that song was pretty catchy".

It's no surprise that most people are remember fondly that song and Rasputin.

I only wrote one of those, champ.

>The idea was so fucking retarded that everyone unanimously agrees on even how to phrase it.

well that's pretty neato. The best part of the song IMO is that it feels like a bombastic meatloaf ballad, so its kind of sad that the song isn't used for the same tone, but at least it is present in the production.

I'll keep my eye out for this one for sure.

>two people posted within minutes of each other with the same stupid CAPITALIZATION and phrasing

Okay, honey.

I need to charge my phone.

Curtain goes up soon.

Liz Callaway is at the premiere.

Aw the Great Comet cast send Anastasia this

Is Dear Evan Hansen the new animatic hit thing

it's the new hotness musical

Miranda is a hack and Hamilton is an embarrassment to rap.

But I'm glad musical theatre is getting popular again so I'll ignore that.

But what's the point?

Reviews are getting posted. So far 3 mixed-to-positive, 2 positive.

>he doesn't like historical accuracy

>"Musical version of a movie #850"
I seriously hope Matilda The Musical is the exception to that rule, because that shit almost teabagged and pissed all over Wicked for me. Matilda The Musical was that amazing

only one negative so far, and it's just more or less "I was bored, but I'm apparently alone since everyone around me was loving it."

your chart doesn't make any sense