What one design element in cartoons do you dislike the most? Doesn't have to be from modern designs

What one design element in cartoons do you dislike the most? Doesn't have to be from modern designs.

Some examples:
>Bean mouth
>Thick lines
>Noodle arms
>Four fingers
>Dots for eyes

Etc etc.

I know most of Sup Forums will say CalArts, but personally I HATE Disneyesque animation. Just can't stand the "smooth" feel of it, it feels so fucking fake. Give me regular, digitally inked 2D any day over that shit

The overstylized eyes in Littlest Pet Shop.

Minimum effort trash everywhere these days.

>Overly angular
>Very thick outlines
>Floating/detached body parts/accessories

Butch Hartman is the worst offender

This here plus Bad storytelling/No Plot.

I can understand if its the style or lack because workforce is shafted into other areas of the property.
But mostly its just "no real story" with minimum effort art.

Giant pupils have always looked awful to me. It's part of why I think a lot of anime and Disney princess designs are fucking horrendous. The only time I thought they looked really good was Powerpuff Girls who stylized it so well to the point of making it a visual trademark.

For me it's not any specific artstyle, it's when people use some I'll fitting artstyle for some genre that doesn't belong because it's popular

>let's take these simple rubber hose comedy designs and put them in some kind of high concept drams show, that won't come off poorly at all! Let's make something you're supposed to take seriously look like a fucking grade schooler's how to read book! And this thing that's supposed to be a dumb comedy? Yeah let's make it look like some weird art house indie comic shit that's totally distracting and ugly and not funny!

Unless it's for meaningful overarching thematic juxtaposition don't fucking make the artstyle something that doesn't fit

These deformed monstrosities without any coherent design (with the exception of Tom&Jerry, Scooby Doo and probably Transformers). I know that 90% of this site feels nostalgic about this shit the same way they worship awful Japanese games for kindergarteners that they enjoyed as little kids, but this style is lazy and degrading. There are almost no meaningful details (as opposed to Futurama, Adventure Time and that Back to the Future parody that everybody hates where you can pause at any moment and there will be interesting props and Easter eggs in the background and characters will convey emotions through poses and gestures in addition to facial expressions).
>LOL SO CRUDE LIKE IT'S DRAWN BY A KID, GET IT?
On the other note, I also hate how there's usually very little meta there, all characters are outlined in the first few episodes and then it's endless circlejerk of all characters being themselves and every episode ends with reverting back to status quo after 'we did it because we're best friends!'

This shit.

>I HATE Disneyesque animation. Just can't stand the "smooth" feel of it, it feels so fucking fake.
Out of curiosity, do you prefer 24fps over 60 fps when you play a video game.

Can i get an example of a "high-concept drama" show using rubber hose comedy designs? Not trying to call you out, but i'm more curious as to what high-concept drama cartoon shows exist.

I remember the Mission Hill creators once said how they initially were going to use rubber-hose designs, but scrapped it because it didn't fit with the tone of the show.

Pretty much every time adventure time tries to be serious.

Steven universe can get pretty bad too, like I'm sorry, I don't buy into this world where everything is so clean and cute that there's some kind of deep dark past and sadness to get over, it comes off artificial.

I don't play video games.
I do prefer 24fps over higher frame rates for video.

With SU, the show's cute style is suppose to lead you into a false sense of security. Everything is bright colored, happy, comfy, then you find out there are zombie gems out there being forced to fuse conscious and screaming mentally about it. Whether or not it's effective is still up to you, but it's better than Adventure Time that started out as one genre and became another unfitting one. SU at least had the intention of having dark elements from the get-go.

SU kind of reminds me of Paper Mario how the series for the most part is pretty standard Nintendo writing and then it gets to certain points like the Evil Queen sucking the souls of the audience who screech in horror.

The art style of a cartoon can make or break it. I will say I very much like the Simpsons and Gravity Falls art styles and don't like most of those CN flat geometric Dexter's Lab whatever kind of art styles. I've never liked John K's art style either.

Phineas and Ferb isn't terrible-looking though the animation is often slicker than I prefer.

Steven Universe is ok. I neither love nor hate it.

I don't like Seth McFarlane's art style.

Mike Judge's art style isn't that cute, but it works adequately for the material.

The horsey show looks nice, it has a lot of personality and improves greatly on the Gen 1 design and the old 80s cartoon.

>Thick outlines & thin innerlines
>Double eye(Sonic/Smurfs, most francophonic ones)
>Klasky Csupo style
>Wobble lines
>Angular style
>Flat syle, the worst one is two eyes next to each other and nose aside
>Grotesque hideous edgy wannabe shit(King Star King)

>Four fingers
Well depends because 3 fingers on semi cartoony/non cartoony humans are horrible

The one thing that sticks out to me is the cheeks that Spongebob usually has in the newer episodes of the show (not sure if they dropped that in the latest ones). Something about them just gets at me.
More importantly, the ways shows like the later seasons of Johnny Test or Wayside or even the newest Fairly Odd Parents season flow animationwise. Other Flash shows like TTG bother me as well, but not to that extent where's it's strangely stilted yet smooth.

Kirby's another good example of that, especially in the more recent games where they give backstory to the villains.

What design elements do you all actually like?

>lumpy faggot cheeks (new tom & jerry)
>tiny, exaggerated vertical smiles
>sausage fingers
>klasky csupo anus lips
>pseudo-anime faces

I fucking remember seeing that shit when I re-watched the Duck Twacy short. It stuck out so heavily to me, I never forgot it.

EVERYTHING MUST BE ROUNDED NO ANGLES KIDS HATE ANGLES

2/10 I replied but will not again

>Too small forehead with long nose with small distance with mouth, this shit was common at the end of 90's and begining of 2000's
>Anything with too weird proportions

Triangle tits.
Aaaaaagh.
Thanks for forcing this on animators, standards and practices

Rigid poses and lack of expressiveness. I could forgive most cartoons on TV if they at least had that.

This is the only thing that breaks a style for me, styles that have bad fundamentals like timing and weight.

I suppose I also dislike when an actor with little voice training is hired because they're already famous.

Standardised noses. Reduced, Disney potato-noses or even invisible noses irk me to no end, particularly when the entire cast shares its same design. It really is a significantly underrated area of general character design, and the only author I've seen give it particular attention is Urasawa.

you must not like anime very much then

You might like Fukumoto Nobuyuki then.

>thick lines
in what way?
thick lines used right makes me cum buckets

disgusto

It's probably because assigning certain characteristics to certain types of noses brings to mind racist caricatures in Western animation.

For anime, it's a combination of a lot of anime being adapted from manga, where the tight deadlines forces manga artists to really streamline their designs and the fact that most anime is trying to sell you cute girls and boys.

CalArts/UPA for me, I want WarnerBrosesque animation, not flat lifeless garbage.

Hamtaro will like to have a word with you, it's more Sup Forums then Sup Forums

Overly-rounded teeth.
It literally looks like something a kid would draw.

Modern style they use in animation in general. Things like Gumball, SU and so on.
I just can't stand it, it looks so ugly I want to vomit and beat the shit out of every damn artist and animator who draws such trash honestly.
I don't know if any of the stories over there are good because I can't force myself to watch it.

it looked good in Rocko

>maggot-mouth/turtle-lips
>relying way too much on geometry (ie. canadian cartoons)
>overly simplistic features
>mouth shaped like a shower dildo

>UPA

The UPA style hasn't be utilized to it's fullest in years so i'm assuming you don't recognize the difference between UPA and calarts

Only works in cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life.
Invader Zim has a square-ish variant tbat looks like zippers

I think its the bean mouth that makes rounded teeth like that look 10x worst.

Oh, but I do.

But Calarts nowadays is Adventure time shit
Gendy stopped being influencial in mid 2000's

No, thats Tumblr.

Also, color does matter in cartoons.

>Samurai Jack
>Bad colour

this is bait pic

You never use pink & purple in a cartoon.

Because John K said that?

But Babs Bunny is purple and pink.

It probably is. Maybe there's just too many curves in the design and the only way it would work is if you added angles. But of course, so many cartoons nowadays want to babyproof all their designs and get rid of edges

To me it's not about what is used in designs/animation, but rather how it's used.
Bean mouth can work, if it's a wide happy grin, and it's not the only type of smile the character has.
Noodle arms can work to simulate a silly dance, or being week in the knees and such.

Yes, but it has been in standers before that.
In backgrounds.

Also Kirby.

It's not the thickness of the line, it's what you do with it.

These kind of relate to the uncanny valley in the sense that the stuff that is realistic only highlights the in-human features making it unappealing

>never use pink and purple in cartoons
where did you get that non-existent rule from?

i know there's a lot of hate for SU on this board
but if there's anything they do right, its the backgrounds

Hayao Miyazaki, John K, standers, that rule does exist.
No, this is a background done right.

Too bad people are going to disregard these since it's Steven universe

Read

John K is just an asshole and anime was a mistake

the backgrounds in SU aren't that bad

Comparing apples to oranges. How do you get the same impact from a vista view and a child's bedroom?

Better example would be correcting the image in question.

that's actually the only good thing that came from this abominable show

Okey explain to me
Why is better then I'm not saying there are better then the bedroom background (you know different opinions and all)
Also why can't you use pink and purple in cartoons?

No it is not, theres a reason why people flocked to anime and it's because it had detail and most importantly of all, construction as if american cartoons still had construction nobody in the west will be touching anime.
There are at least 12 shades of colors in Laura's room compared to the 1 or 2 shades of color(s) of the backgrounds you posted.

Not even that.
More colors and richer pallet.

This is why.
johnkstuff blog /2009/10/jetsons-85-backgrounds.html

Because you are talking to Mr. Famicom who think TMS is the greatest thing ever and the only good cartoons from the 90s is Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Hamtaro

I'm not saying that there bad I was saying that other people will probably say they are bad because they are from Steven universe

No you are not and Hamtaro is a 2000s cartoon.

You're also forgetting about Ren & Stimpy, The Simpsons, Beavis & Butt-Head and Futurama as well.

Also Pinky and The Brain and Freakazoid as well.

Who?

more does not necessarily equal better

Oh yea, guess I was wrong about who posted that, my bad.

It doesnt seem like hes saying "Never use purple" there, though. It just looks like hes saying "use appropriate color, because when I came in to the industry, everyone was using the colors everyone else was using, without actually knowing why and it happend to be a garish purple"

In backgrounds, it does, you want to avoid another Avatar where they just spam 1 color and get their coloring from a box of crayons.

And SU is "everyone was using the colors everyone else was using, without actually knowing why and it happend to be a garish purple and/or brown"

The UPA style looks full of life to me.

>Miyazaki

What are you talking about?

>implying you can't have good art with a small color palette

Just horrible. Miyazaki would roll over in his grave if he had lived to see anime become this.

>Comparing apple to oranges
That's a difference in the size of the palette. Both backgrounds look great. The sky looks unrealistic, but it's appealing and calm. The child's room looks detailed and energetic.

Any art style that doesn't account for anything outside of the 2-dimensions. After Simpsons showed that you could do dynamic angles and perspectives through character designs with weird forms, there should be no excuse for any show that came after.

Thats Goro Miyazaki, I'm talking about Hayao Miyazaki.

>"Illustration from the late 1800s up through the middle of the 20th century was absolutely amazing. In general, American culture was at its highest skill wise in every aspect of human life in the 1940s. It’s all been downhill since then. You just open an old magazine from the 1930s and ’40s and look at the illustrations in it. There’s nobody alive that could touch the way they could draw back then. In old movies, the cinematography is a thousand times better than anything today. Writing, a thousand times better. You buy any book on color theory today and it’s just complete poppycock. Everybody comes out of school painting pink, purple, and green. The whole damn cartoon industry has pink, purple, and green on their mind."

>"Those are the colors of Cutie Honey. Most cartoons are those colors. They have been for many years. Until Cagliostro made that change. Cagliostro changed it, Toshihiko Masuda perfected it. And then there’s been some shows that have followed Masuda’s lead, like Tiny Toon Adventures which has absolutely beautiful color."

>"If you’re a kid wanting to be a cartoonist today, and you’re looking at The Legend of Korra, you don’t have to aim very high. You can draw Korra when you’re 10 years old. You don’t have to get any better than that to become a professional cartoonist. The standards are extremely low. Same as in illustration. Not very many people can draw who are illustrators today, compared to the early 20th century."

Reminder.

johnkstuff blog /2009/10/jetsons-85-backgrounds.html

How flat is too flat, Sup Forums?

how? it's super flat, like a literal drawing on paper

not saying that's a bad thing; its a stylistic choice, but i still wouldn't call it "full of life"

nothing. Sup Forums likes nothing.

That much.

>Sup Forums likes nothing
my man

what was your favorite episode?

The one that doesn't exist.

Those pictures are a compilation of all entirely Hayao Miyazaki films... I don't know where you're getting Goro from.

And he's quite clearly saying you shouldn't focus entirely on those colours, but obviously to completely remove them from your pallet would also be a mistake.

lol wut

Steven Universe and Adventure Time use their colorful, simplistic art-styles to show the main characters, who are young, slowly growing and dealing with adult issues. It's the Earthbound effect.

All of the shots came from Tales Of Earthsea, a Goro Miyazaki film.

>dbz impact

all of those shots are from earthsea dumbass
i don't know of any miyazaki movie that made excess use of post-processing

Tumblr Nose. Just...fucking Tumblr Nose.

I don't know why, but I really like those.

The fluidity of the design makes it look more weighted and fleshy when it flows together. Coupled with squash-stretch and
, this pumps the style "full of life", as it more accurately registers the gravity of our world in the mind of the viewer.