The Best of Wonder Woman

Part 16 - The Circle (Gail Simone)

youtube.com/watch?v=XKJbjl9LcXo

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Part 1 - Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
Part 2 - Challenge of the Gods I-II (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
Part 3 - Challenge of the Gods III (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/
Part 4 - "Taco Whiz" (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/
Part 5 - The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/
Part 6 - The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
Part 7 - The Challenge of Artemis (Bill Messner-Loebs)
Part 8 - Paradise Lost + 1988 Bonus Books (Phil Jimenez)
Part 9 - Paradise Found + Girl Frenzy: Donna Troy (Phil Jimenez)
Part 10 - A League of One + The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
Part 11 - The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
Part 12 - Stoned (Greg Rucka)
Part 13 - Land of the Dead (Greg Rucka)
Part 14 - Manhunter: Unleashed (Mark Andreyko)
Part 15 - Marathon (Greg Rucka)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1445/39/1445390230456.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

While reading War of the Gods last night I wrote down every named Amazon that is mentioned:

Hippolyte - Queen
Phillipus - captain of the guard
Menallipe - high priestess/oracle
Euboea - general
Myrrha - Queen's handmaiden
Epione - healer
Hellene - senator
Penelope - priestess/cleric
Pythia - warrior, soul-mother of Julia Kapatelis
Mnemosyne - historian
Ipthime - sculptor
Timandra - architect

I was surprised because the first time I read this I never noticed that Perez actually was drawing from a defined well of Amazons, I thought he was just randomly making up new ones as he went along, but all of these appeared in his first arc.

Humorously he does mix up Euboea and Pythia at one point.

Also I found it odd that I couldn't find any place on the internet that just listed all the named Amazons and their roles, so I'm keeping this in my notebook for later because I can only remember five Amazons off the top of my head.

Pythia's easy to remember because she has white hair, like Julia.

Hey Tex.

I love The Circle. It's one of the stories that got me into the character.

Again, to echo the sentiments of Mark Grundelwald, there's no need to make up new shit when previously existing shit will do.

Thanks for that, Tex. Now I'm all curious about what the Amazon Senate is like.

Absolutely. It just requires a little bit of research.

Again I gotta hand it to Seeley for going back to Dixon's Nightwing and Morrison's B&R for elements to draw from for his Nightwing run.

There were only a couple times it was shown in Perez's run, when they were debating whether to allow men on the island. It seems to just be classic Athenian forum stuff where they all sit in a room and discuss civily.

Gorilla City is underrated.

Sorry Tex. You are lucky I'm not home to post it, but this is the picture that Diana's face in the bottom reminded me off last night:

desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1445/39/1445390230456.jpg

Well, i don't think Seeley is doing a very good job using Dr. Hurt in the current arc.

Sure, it's always good to use what already exist, but there's a difference between just using something because it's an established thing and basically doing a repeat, and using something established to build something new out of it.

I feel that Seeley's use of Dr. Hurt is just nothing more than a fanservice.

I like that that face is burned into your memory enough to trigger that.

Yeah when he revealed Hurt I kind of lost interest and didn't get the next issue. Hurt is so heavily thematic and meta he doesn't really work as just a random bad guy like that.

Frankly disgusted at the man-like weapons these gorillas are using. Don't they have pride in their culture?

Seeleywing has definitely been very up-and-down for me. Also a good argument that story arcs really don't need to be more than three issues unless you just have a really good idea.

LOVING SUBMISSION

Not to mention that he's just redoing Dr. Hurt arc but with him obsessing about Nightwing instead of Batman, with Dr. Hurt trying to sacrifice Damian to a bird-like giant creature associated to Nightwing. Makes no sense.

Diana, why you so sassy? :3

But yeah, it especially applies now, since comics have been going for approaching 80 years now. If you think of a concept you want to use in your story, it's almost guaranteed to already exist somewhere in the archives. All you have to do is google it, because it's equally likely some nerd has drawn up a wiki article about it somewhere.

>Hurt is so heavily thematic and meta he doesn't really work as just a random bad guy like that.
Ha ha what do you mean imgur.com/a/fxGuS

Batman btfo

>ywn hang out with the DK crew

If there's one thing that bothers me about this run, is the whole baby-making quest Diana had with Tom Tresser.

Oh yeah, we're still in the weird post-"Who is Wonder Woman?" era with Diana's secret identity and Nemesis, with the latter's inability to see through this secret identity bordering on Wonder Woman '77 levels of antics.

Simone gonna Simone, and that's what I love about her.

Also, we skipped a fucking weird Jodi Pichoett (spelling) run that got ~3 issues in before getting AMAZONS ATTACK'd

Picoult.

It's just the logistics that bothers me. Diana wanted to grow the number of amazons, right? How pumping out babies the old-fashioned way would help with that? She's not the Mother of Champions or anything.

Yeah it certainly would fall more under the label of a curiosity than a "best of" list, but I'm gonna post it later. I finally read it recently and it's certainly not muh.

I love cocky, confident Etta so much.

>that time Wonder Woman befriended a group of gorilla knights, and had them stay in her apartment
COMIC BOOKS!

But yeah, I really like this intro scene. Diana rolling persuasion checks is always a good time, and it's a nice showing of how Simone writes her.

The trade of The Circle begins with an intro page by Mercedes Lackey, where she praises Gail for portraying Diana as a goddess. She makes some good points, but I don't know if I agree with her overall sentiment.

Well, this is definitely timely.

It's overall a really weird direction for the character that I don't think would have worked at all if not for Simone. It just felt stupid under Torres.

I'm trying to see if I can find a scan of the trade for that intro page, but I'm not finding anything so far

Diana having a secret identity is weird nowadays, since she's a foreign diplomat and all. Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying her in that snappy suit. Unf.

Simone Etta is best Etta. For oh so many reasons.

Insert twerking joke here

I'd compare it to the Truth arc in Action Comics DCYou, it's a really neat direction... just not permanently. And also like Truth it came with a really cool costume.

Diana Prince as a secret agent working for meta-human shenanigans with her black shades was cool. Certainly the best use of the Diana Prince secret identity.

The whole army nurse or army secretary with the big rimmed glasses always felt to Clark Kent-ish.

And Etta is a character so few seem to get, even Perez. Perez made her into this nervous character, and then WML made her super insecure.

Like her entire original point was that she was obese but just did not give a fuck. If you're gonna get rid of the fat, sure, fine, but you gotta keep that aspect of not giving a fuck.

>tfw no Alke, Antandre, Myrina, Penthesilea, Antianeira, Lampedo and Marpesia and Orithyia or Amazo and Amazo team-up
F

The whole 'Truth' arc was good in concept but lackluster as hell in execution.

And Superman without a secret identity feels wrong.

I have nostalgia for it because of the TV show but like with Batman and Robin pulling up to the police station in broad daylight to have a chat and a coffee with the Commish it doesn't really belong in the comics.

She was pretty good in WWEO.

Perez failed a lot with Etta and Steve.

Yes! I read a review that complained about her and I was like fuck off.

Well I'm getting to add some more Amazons to my list now

I just find that Wonder Woman as a Bond-like spy character fit so much. Specially with her origin as a WWII sort of character.

Much better than her just playing the role of a wolf in sheep clothing as a nurse or secretary.

Completely off topic: I watched Day of the Dead for the first time last night and it was the most sickening thing I've ever seen.

Which I mean in a good way because that's just how amazing the effects were.

The movie was so dark which I did not expect at all after watching Dawn and Land of the Dead.

I'm sure that's a reaction image.

>unlovely
Uh, Alkyone, even by Amazon standards, the four of you are total hotties. The hell are you on about?

Exactly. She's confident, outgoing, not at all ashamed of who she is. I hate to keep giving Morrison credit, but Etta being Etta was even a major point in Trial. The Amazons were trying to fatshame her, and she laughed it off, showing them how shallow they were being.

>get rid of the fat
Hell no. Etta Candy MUST be thicc. The Dodsons do a good job of that, actually.

Rucka basically has her as happy Amanda Waller right now

Even Nazi's need Diana's love.

Omg Diana you can't just call Nazis Nazis! It's offensive!

Gail just gets it.

>WHALE Simone
Pass.

They prefer the term "ethically challenged".

Unlovely doesn't necessarily only mean physical appearance.

IIRC some battered women refer to themselves as "unlovely", maybe that's where Gail got it.

>even fucking literal Nazis don't want to kill animals

The song is already playing in your heads, isn't it?

Thor/Wondie team-up fucking when

It pops up as a term in Christian mission stuff occasionally, I find. I'm not sure where that comes from.

Wasn't Raijin the guy from Big Trouble in Little China?

Yeah, it's a total tonal change after Dawn, the most beloved of the series, which caught a lot of people by surprise at the time. Still love it though.

I feel like Diana would have fun in Asgard. Just blow off a ton of steam. Not a place she'd want to stay, but a good vacation.

What's this, Moana?

The actual plot here is a bit slow but every page is so much fun.

Maybe they were just afraid of Johns' edgelord OC

This is a really beautiful moment, DESU

when did they learn english

Metal Gear Paradise Island? I'd buy it.

HERE WE HERE WE
HERE WE GO
NOW THEY'RE FINALLY HERE

I think I'll give this prayer at my next family Thanksgiving.

A few threads ago, I said we don't have much luck when it comes to newer Wondy villains. Alkyone is one of the exceptions, and these pages are the perfect illustration of why.

I'd love to see her come back, but not necessarily as a straight villain. I think it would be more interesting to have her and her Circle cronies serving in their position of royal guard, and the conflict with them being more political than physical. Tweak them a little to where they're more of a Themysciran CIA/FBI analogue.

With all the time shenanigans we've been seeing in the Superman books now would be a pretty good time to bring back some of these kinda villains.

Last night we even got an issue that was basically just a rundown of Wonder Woman's condensed history that would fit fine into current continuity. Just add this stuff and the Azz run and you're good to go.

My first thought here was "What is classic Doc Ock doing in this apartment?"

Not gonna lie, I have a bit of a soft spot for Grail. Tryhards are endearing to me in a "bless your heart" kind of way.

I think more people would like her if she were played as more comedic.

I'd be down for her and Diana hanging out, Diana trying to teach her not to be evil and kill everything, and how to order coffee at Starbucks, etc.

I feel like Simone was hinting at wanting to get Wondie for a long time, with how much she used Psycho, Giganta, Cheetah and Circe.

Yeah, but then you'd have the problem of Darkseid's progeny being a joke, Kalibak's infamous jobbing notwithstanding. It was the same problem with Grayven, nobody liked him so people started writing him as a joke, which was even more embarrassing. However, if she was only a pretender, then that's fine.

As Fire Emblem taught me, one arrow is all it takes to completely annihilate a pegasi.