Nightwing #20 Preview

Other urls found in this thread:

previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR170320
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1/5

I'm already on board because the original robin wore short pants again.

2/5

3/5
Robintron's entrance was lewd as fuck

4/5

5/5

Variant by Casey Jones. I guess Reis is dead

ROBIN DIES AT DAWN

I really hope she keeps this costume.

Interesting. Wonder what Reis has been up to, since he doesn't seem to be on art for JLA either.

Geez DC Editorial, bit of a heavy handed way to cancel Supersons, don't ya think?

I like the design from the neck down but I don't like the mask design. I think her defacer design is much better. Either way I doubt she'll keep it since last issue she said the only reason she was wearing it was because it's what her dollotron version was wearing and she needed to wear something else.

He might be on an a yet to be announced Dark Matter book.

thigh highs with a leotard. top tier

This whole arc with Dr. Hurt has been pissing me off. It's taking a huge dump on everything Grant Morrison established.

Seriously, Seeley should stop trying to rework things set up by Morrison. He doesn't know how to spin it in a good story.

All the dark matter books have had there teams announced
Hopefully it's something like legion or jsa since they've been teasing it for a while.

This is the logic that leads to characters fade into obscurity even if they're good, writers too afraid to use highly regarded writers characters. This story doesn't need to be as iconic as Morrisons run but if it inspires other writees to try using new characters it's for the best as long as they don't completely destroy em

Alright this was cute at first but she is taking up too much of the book.

Time for her to die.

Yeah, but it's doing nothing different with Dr, Hurt hurt.

First Dr. Hurt didn't die, he was buried alive. Second Dr. Hurt doesn't care about Dick or Nightwing, he wanted to destroy Batman because he was infected by the Hyper-Adapter. So why is here obsessed about Dick, sacrificing Damian for a bird-like creature and acting like Zoom? Not even the deal with Pyg makes sense.

Seeley here is just using the characters because they faced Dick once in Morrison's run. That's it. He isn't using the characters intelligently. He isn't building on the foundation like Geoff Johns. He's just doing a mere repeat. Even the deal with Deathwing is a mere repeat, but with none of the charm.

What's next, a demonic girl with sexually assault Nightwing's OC girlfriend during their wedding?

Outside of blockbuster, nitewing and slade dick doesn't have and real villains synonymous with him. I have no problem with guys like pyg and hurt being used as people to add to his rogues gallery as they were part of his time as batman and it makes sense they'd want to go after him instead of batman. Hurt isn't some untouchable character who only Morrison can use and so far seeley hasn't done anything wrong with the character.

Pyg, i give you, but Hurt being obsessed about Dick makes no sense. I could see him trying to kill Dick for feeling slighted by being upstaged by Batman junior, but being obsessed about Dick? Nah.

And like i said, he isn't using the characters and concepts smartly. He's doing mere repeats and nonsensical repeats at that. The book feels like rundown of all the iconic arcs Nightwing ever had. Just a listing of things that happened being redone.

I'd rather Seeley did something new.

>so far seeley hasn't done anything wrong with the character.

It kinda ruin Dr. Hurt.

The comic show Dr. Hurt glorifying some demonic bird, just because said bird is associated with Nightwing, when that makes no sense at all. There's no explanation to what that bird is.

Dr. Hurt didn't worshiped the giant bat because it was some giant bat, but because he thought it was a demon who would grant him eternal life. And Hurt didn't wanted to test Batman because he worshiped a giant bat and Batman's a bat and thus everything fit. Dr. Hurt wanted to destroy Batman, because Barbatos/Hyper-Adapter compelled him to, because of Darkseid.

Now Hurt's reduced to a guy that will worship random animals for no reason and hunt heroes to make them better through tragedy. It's like a poor man's Zoom. Next he'll start worshiping a giant goldfish and hunt Aquaman to make him a better hero.

It was pretty clear he was still worshipping Barbatos or some other "Great Beast" that is continuing to grant him eternal life, and that Nightwing is simply a new weapon for him to forge to fight some greater evil (probably in Metal). The giant bird is a symbol for what Dick represents, maybe, as a reference to the Kryptonian myths, there really is some sort of mystical entity that Dick is linked to and can draw on if Hurt "forges" Dick as a new weapon.

It's like you didn't even read the last issue at all.

If you want him to do something new you probably won't be too frilled to know the next arc is about blockbuster coming to blüdhaven.

How about creating new characters instead of reusing shit ones like Blockbuster, forcing ones like Slade or using really hard to write characters like Pyg? But hey, who gives a shit about creativity

He isn't worshiping Barbatos, that's just your wishful thinking. The "Great Beast" is just a generic name and the demon now is a bird because Nightwing. There's not even any reference to the Kryptonian myths. If Seeley had implemented the Kryptonian myths and managed it to make it work somehow with Darkseid's shenanigans i'd have excused him. It would be something clever.

And this whole mystical aspect wasn't build up previously and it's just a fucking repeat of what we already went through with the Barbatos shit.

FUCK.

From DC's website. Sorry buddy better luck in July.

His first volume involved him creating raptor who has since gone on to appear in deathstroke. He's creating new characters but at the same time he is bringing back old characters that weren't apart of the new52 as part of rebirth.

So is Hurt using some variant of the omega sanction?

But he could do new thing with old characters. Just repeating the same arcs is fucking boring.

>new characters
like Raptor, the new Owls, the new Bludhaven cast, Dinesh and arguably Deathwing
>Blockbuster
Unfortunately an entire contingent of fans equate him to their favourite run, using him is simply pleasing the fanbase
>Slade
Fuck you, Slade's great and has only gotten better with Prieststroke, we haven't had a Dick vs. Slade fight in years, I sure as shit with they would actually force him
>Pyg
Seeley writes a pretty decent Pyg, probably the only writer who writes the character even somewhat close to Morrison's version.
>creativity
I would think using old characters in new ways to tell a story would take more effort than creating new characters to fit the story that they want to tell exactly.

But you know what? Sure, we don't need to use old characters. They can just use new ones. We don't even need Dick, they can just use a new Nightwing every arc. Fuck Batman, every year they should cycle through a new mammalman, like Whaleman. Who the fuck cares about Lex Luthor, maybe they should never use his character in a comic again and create new characters for Superman to fight, since so many of his villains are shit, forced, or hard to write.

It's also a gang war arc between Blockbuster and Tiger Shark that involves Magog, Shado, Skyhook, and others. It's not exactly the same old shit, it's Seeley's way of getting fucking Blockbuster out of the way while still having fun.

Reis is next in line for the Kamandi Chalenge with Bill Willingham, if i'm right. So maybe that's why he's busy

So is Dick out of Bludhaven yet or?

Dropped it at issue 12 because it didn't grip me much, the Raptor stuff was good but then it kinda went downhill. Should I pick it up again?

>The "Great Beast" is just a generic name and the demon now is a bird because Nightwing.
Pretty sure the other guy is right and bird is an image that appeared to Hurt to guide him. Reading comprehension, man.

He's going back to Bludhaven in #21.

I didn't know we were getting tiger shark too that's awesome, I missed that guy. If rebirth has done anything right it's bringing obscure batman villains into the spotlight. Say what you will about kings run but when was the last time we saw a guy like Maxie Zeus or all those villains on the rooftops during his catwoman issues.

Oh well.

Heard Helena and Tiger are gonna appear soon, I'll probably pick it up again then.

21 is now changed to a guest writer, and is about Wally and Dick

previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR170320

>Owls
>Bludhaven
>Deathwing
Not sure if retarded or just pretending

Fuck off, Shawn.

Fuck you retard regressing Slade to a Nightwing villain is retarded. End yourself.

What the fuck are you talking about? Great Beast is vague, not generic. We don't know who it is. There is no demon bird, it's supposed to represent Dick. Hurt is supposed to make Dick into his weapon. That's literally in this fucking preview. We don't even know why he needs to make Dick into his weapon yet, there's still the rest of the rest of the issue to explain, and chances are, it won't, because this is the build up to whatever comes next where that shit should be relevant. The Kryptonian myths haven't been brought up in this arc, but where in Grayson Annual #2 which Seeley wrote, how that may or may not relate to Darkseid or Barbatos shenanigans we obviously don't know yet.

The mystical aspect in this story is the build up, likely to either a new arc after Blockbuster or to Metal (which Seeley keeps hinting at). The fact that Hurt is the villain is supposed to tell you some mystical shit is involved in the same way you'd expect water when you open up Teen Titans knowing King Shark was on the cover.

I get your complaints, I really do, but not everything happens in one issue, or in one arc, it happens over time. It's not even a "be patient," it's "fucking chill out so you can see the payoff later." I'm not even arguing this is some kind of masterpiece, just that you're spouting some bullshit along with your complaints. On top of that, it's like you didn't read the last issue beyond looking at the pictures, everything I've said should be obvious to you. At least read this preview over again if you're too lazy to read #19 again.

He's a Titans villain, taking that away from him is what's really retarded.

Fuck you. Dickfacer4Life.

Right, forgot about that. Looks like from July's solicits that the Blockbuster arc is pushed back two weeks, so he goes back to Bludhaven in issue 22 instead.

Deathwing isn't new, even if this version is not supposed to be an edgy Dick from an dystopian alternate future.

And what's good in using old characters when you aren't adding nothing to them?

The bird is there just because Nightwing use a bird as a symbol. That's it. Dr. Hurt is worshiping a bird creature now without rhyme or reason just because Seeley wanted something connected to Nightwing. It's a repeat of the Barbatos thing but with a bird now, not a bat, and there's not clever explanation for it.

>Say what you will about kings run but when was the last time we saw a guy like Maxie Zeus or all those villains on the rooftops during his catwoman issues.

Tom King making random old Batman villains cameo isn't clever. Anyone with Wikipedia knowledge can do that.

Anyone can make an obscure villain show up to go "See, that old guy? Ha! I bet you didn't knew i knew about this guy!".

He will always be the titans biggest foe but during the Dixon era nightwing and beyond deathstroke always showed up for different reasons to the point where he could be considered a nightwing villain just as much as he is a titans villain.

>Owls
There were new characters during the Owls arc, although it was only really two now that I think about it, Dr. Levitacus and Moloch, both fairly shallow but fun characters, if they showed up later in this run I'd like that.
>Bludhaven
Again, new characters along with old ones. Shawn, Nice, that cop, that prostitute, probably others but they were probably not memorable enough seeing as they likely had two or three pages of paneltime at most.
>Deathwing
He's an all new version of the character. Would you say Barry Allen wasn't a new character when he was introduced as the Silver Age Flash?

Why would Dr. Hurt worship a being that is not Barbatos? The only reason there's a bird now is because of Nightwing. It's gimmicky as fuck.

It's like if a writer decided to use Dr. Hurt in a Hawkman comic and now had him worshiping a hawk creature out of nowhere. It makes no sense.

And the Nightwing and Flamebird myth was only referenced because of the Superman cameo. There has been not connective tissue between the annual and the current arc.

Shawn fucking sucks. She's a generic as fuck and forced to boot. She's literally action movie tier old girlfriend from the past that the action hero falls inexplicably in love again and does everything to save her from the bad guys.

Fucking Jason Statham tier too.

>He's an all new version of the character.

Following the same gimmick of the old one.

Was Jason Todd not a new version of Robin when he was introduced? I forgot all about the fact that the biggest problem of Dick's solos is that characters are always introduced but are never relevant again afterwards, and the few times they are, it's for shit like Lady Vic in Batwing's solo.

>bird worshipping
You fuck. He isn't, he's worshipping the Great Beast shit that brought him back. Nightwing his his weapon. Read the preview. We still don't know why he needs Dick because we haven't been told, how impatient can you be?

So did Barry Allen and Hal Jordan.

If that's how you feel, then maybe what you should be arguing for is for more reusing of old characters?

THE GREAT BEAST APPEARED AS A BIRD! And he needs because this is a Nightwing book. That's it. It's all very gimmicky.

>So did Barry Allen and Hal Jordan

Fuck no. Hal Jordan had an entire different setting and fucking genre than Alan Scott. Or was Alan Scott in space battling weird aliens? No, fuck not. Scott was foiling gangsters and having a dog upstaging him.

It's symbolism retard. It's better than having the great beast appear and having a conversation with hurt that he needs nightwing. It's also a much more striking and powerful image.

People forgot what happened in the last issue. Here are the pages. First Hurt being a melodramatic creep

Next is the striking image of a giant ass blue bird.

They haven't forgotten, they just can't agree on what it means.

I'm glad Shawn is here and I like the possibility of Dadwing. I hope nothing shitty happens to her when the creative team eventually switches over.

We could eventually have both supes and dick with children. If dick stayed as batman this would be best timeline.

It seems pretty clear in those pages. Must be that weaponized NotMuh impeding their higher brain functions

No, you're a fucking retard.

Pretty page.

Is this referring to pre-Flashpoints continuity? I thought Deathwing hadn't appeared since FP prior to this arc.

>Only stabbing Damian in the stomach
>No blood on the knife
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

I know you are angry, user. I feel like you, but chill. Different anons,. different opinions.

I share yours, by the way. But I also think Morrison isn't so good as other anons either.

>What's next, a demonic girl with sexually assault Nightwing's OC girlfriend during their wedding?
Sounds fantastic to me, honestly. Defacer is a pre-existing character, though.

It's a ruse.

Would people be as mad with Shawn if she remained the exact same but they named her Clancy instead and gave her an Irish accent

God this is gonna suck when Seeley leaves this comic cause this is a fun character.

>old D-list jobber villains now form an ex-villain support group
>Blockbuster in a criminal mob war with half a dozen non-street-level villains

Sounds like Seeley is doing new things with old characters

>this goalpost-moving

Fun things with old characters

I just listed fun things

I was agreeing with you friend

Reis is still alive

Gorgeous page