ITT: Underrated runs

BatWonder aside, I loved Joe Kelly's JLA.

It was good. It went well with the "bigger-than-life" adventures that were the JLA's stories since Morrison.

But Kelly's self-insert woman was a pain in the ass.

Kesel's Superboy, Emperor Joker, Lobdell's Fantastic Four, Agent of Atlas, Journey into Mystery featuring Sif, Millar's recent work

It gave us Plastic Man vs. Martian Manhunter, which was great.

also I liked Wonderbats a bit

>Kesel
I haven't read much Kesel but what I have read seems great.

>Journey into Mystery starring Lady Sif
Mah Mugga, that run was damn good, shame it ended so quickly

>But Kelly's self-insert woman was a pain in the ass.
Faith? Eh, she was pointless but she wasn't that bad.

She came up with a new convenient power every new arc.

And her past with Bruce was never explained, was it?

I will fight anyone who insults Chuck Austen's War Machine

The first volume or the second one? Because if it's the second one... sheesh.

First one, can't defend the second
but I bring it up anytime people say Austen is the worst ever because its simply not true

agreed

and i unabashedly love Mahnke

Underrated? Isn't this considered part of the legendary 90s/00s JLA series of runs? You got Trial by Fire in there.

>Agent of Atlas
Fuck, I miss them.

Morrison to Waid are usually what people care about. For some reason Kelly's not as much.

Well, Joe Kelly himself is pretty underrated.

>not liking ww x bm
I remember how unused WW was in the team before 2002. She barely got a panel or a sentence per issue. Kelly gave her justice and made an equal member.

he writes a terrific Superman

He wrote my favorite Superman story.

Action Comics 800 is his best issue

Great stuff. I wonder why didn't they give him a proper run on the series.

L.E.G.I.O.N/R.E.B.E.L.S

Jeff Parker's Aquaman, Justice League United, and Hulk.
Jeff Lemire's Superboy, possibly the saddest sacrifice to the New 52.
John Moore's X-Force, although it's fairly well-regarded by the X-Fags of Sup Forums.

>Lobdell's Fantastic Four
nigga that was like 3 issues only

3 really fun issues
plz no bully Lobdell

Lol it really isn't that great. It's serviceable schlock that has a lot of profanity, gore, and some nudity. People probably think it's "artistic" or whatever just because it's black and white.

I can agree that it isn't as outright HORRIBLE as his X-Men, Avengers, and War Machine 2.0 (I consider all of them to be some of the worst runs of all time).

I'll fight anyone who insults any comic that I enjoyed as a 14 year old
where do you want to meet

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Justice League Adventures, Baker's Plastic Man

It was a shitty run, except for Obsidian age. I don't know why Sup Forums like this shit. Kelly's trying to insert his morality about pure golden age heroes in cape comics is pure cringe. Look at this . A 100 times worse than Kingdom Come.

Mike Baron's Punisher
Chuck Dixon's Punisher (which is actually better than half of Ennis' run)
Steven Grant's Punisher
Abnett & Lanning's Punisher (most people don't even know this exists)
Steve Gerber's She-Hulk (this happened between the two Byrne runs and it's legitimately almost as awesome as Byrne's 2nd run and at least in the same ballpark as Byrne's 1st run)
Howard Mackie & Mark Texeira's Ghost Rider (once Texeira left it never quite worked as well)
Mike Baron's Badger (literally the best comic ever)
Mike Baron & Steve Rude's Nexus (probably the best art on an ongoing series ever)
Mike Baron's Ginger Fox (more 80s than anything you have ever seen, a pop culture time capsule masterpiece)
Scott McCloud's Superman Adventures (almost totally forgotten, but nearly as great as Millar's run on the title)
Mark Millar's Superman Adventures (the best run on the overall best single Superman ongoing ever)
Kurt Busiek's Superman (gets overshadowed by Johns' run, which was coming out at the same, and it's nowhere near that level, but it's still worth reading)
Mark Millar's Swamp Thing (arguably the third best run on the character)
Chris Claremont's Man-Thing (gets overlooked for not being by Gerber, but it's actually OK, even if it's far from great)
Kelley Puckett & Ty Templeton's Batman Adventures [INCLUDING BATMAN & ROBIN ADVENTURES EVEN THOUGH PUCKETT WASN'T ON THAT] (THE best Batman series EVER)
Doug Moench's The Hands of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu (only underrated on Sup Forums, THE best overall art of any comic)
Timothy Truman's Scout (the best post-apocalyptic story ever told in ANY medium)
Dean Motter's Mister X (this, along with related titles Electropolis and Terminal City, remain THE single most unique vision in the history of comics, utterly breathtaking in its originality and one of the premiere masterpieces of 20th century visual design and aesthetics in ANY medium)

E-Man by fucking anybody (one of the most overlooked superheroes ever and easily one of the genre's best offerings outside of Marvel or DC)
John Ostrander & Timothy Truman's Grimjack (so creative it defies description, arguably the best thing Ostrander ever did)
Mike Grell's Jon Sable (even better than Grell's Green Arrow?)
Chuck Dixon's Evangeline
Chuck Dixon's Lawdog
Steven Grant's Alien Legion
Chuck Dixon's Alien Legion
Wendy and Richard Pini's Elfquest
Mike W. Barr's The Maze Agency (most of which featured RARE AS FUCK interior art by Adam Hughes, THE best detective/mystery comic ever)
Max Allan Collins & Terry Beatty's Ms. Tree
Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman
Jeph Loeb's Superman (yeah, the art carried his scripts, but it was still a fun ride all-in-all)
Jim Starlin's Dreadstar
Peter B. Gillis & Mike Saenz's Shatter
Doug Rice's Dynamo Joe (with scripts by John Ostrander and Phil Foglio)
Mike Grell's Starslayer
Steven Grant's Whisper
Jan Strnad, Mark Verheiden & Mark Texeira's Stalkers
Chuck Dixon's Airboy
Steve Englehart & Marshall Rogers' Coyote
Chuck Dixon's Car Warriors
Mike Grell's The Warlord
Mike Baron's Sonic Disruptors (possibly the only MINISERIES to ever get cancelled by DC mid-run)
Don McGregor's Detectives Inc.
Howard Chaykin's Time2
Chuck Dixon's Mad Dogs
B.C. Boyer's The Masked Man
Roy Thomas' Solomon Kane (it tends to get overlooked that Thomas did several adaptations of Robert E. Howard characters other than Conan)
Marvel Comics' Kull (not a "run" per se, but pretty much all of these were worth reading, but are still overlooked in comparison to Marvel's [admittedly superior] Conan comics)
Michael T. Gilbert's Mr. Monster

Don Simpson's Megaton Man
Jim Valentino's normalman
Bruce Jones, April Campbell, & Brent Anderson's Somerset Holmes
Timothy Truman's The Prowler
Timothy Truman's The Spider
Chuck Dixon's The Black Terror
Joe Kubert's Tor
Al Milgrom's US 1
Bill Mantlo's Team America
Larry Hama's Wolfpack
Larry Hama's Nth Man The Ultimate Ninja
Trina Robbins' Misty
Trina Robbins' California Girls
Steve Gerber's Foolkiller (arguably his magnum opus, and also arguably the single best "what if superheroes were real" story surpassing even Watchmen in its accuracy of analysis on the effects of superheroism on the life of a normal person, a masterpiece that should be considered required reading for the genre)
Bill Mantlo's The Human Fly
Dan Slott's The Ren & Stimpy Show (seriously -- in fact, I actually prefer this to the show)
Steve Gerber's Freddy Krueger's A Nightmare on Elm Street (only 2 issues, but legit the 2nd best thing ever done with the franchise behind only the original movie)
Steve Gerber's Omega The Unknown (Gerber attempts to make a totally straight down the line normal superhero comic for once... and fails spectacularly -- oddly... "off" in so many different ways)
Steve Gerber's The Zombie (everyone remembers Man-Thing and forgets his "other" Marvel horror comic)
Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein (there's more of this than most people realize, including two one-shots and a miniseries that cam out decades after the original material)

Bruce Jones' Ka-Zar the Savage
Keith Giffen's Video Jack
Keith Giffen's PunX
Keith Giffen's The Heckler
Keith Giffen's Trencher
Abnett & Lanning's Body Doubles
Doug Moench & Paul Gulacy's Slash Maraud
Neal Adams' Deadman
Mike Baron's The Butcher (one of DC's most obscure heroes)
Max Allan Collins & Terry Beatty's Wild Dog (the ultimate so-bad-that-it's-good vigilante hero)
Howard Chaykin's Ironwolf
Dan Mishkin & Gary Cohn's Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld
Robert Rodi's Codename Knockout (most underrated Vertigo series ever as far as I'm concerned)
Steve Rude's The Moth
Jim Silke's Rascals in Paradise
Jim Silke's Bettie Page
Kurt Busiek's Vampirella
James Robinson's Vampirella (arguably his best work)
Warren Ellis' Vampirella
Archie Goodwin's Vampirella
Archie Goodwin's Blazing Combat
Darwyn Cooke's Richard Stark's Parker
Enrique Sánchez Abulí & Jordi Bernet's Torpedo
Pat Mills' Marshal Law
Victor Santos' Polar

Gerber's everything is underrated
90% Millar's work is absolutely golden
Secret Identity and Camelot Falls are fanfuckintastic
do you like Kupperberg's Vigilante? seems right up your alley
McCloud's Superman sucks
dude is a shitty writer
Austen's Superman, Man of Steel, Metropolis are all actually underrated comic books

Archie Comics' Katy Keene (both runs, the original by Bill Woggon and especially the 1980s revival)
Warren Ellis' Down
Warren Ellis' Reload
Christos Gage's Absolution
Gary Carlson's Big Bang Comics
Larry Hama's Dr. Deth with Kip & Muffy (2 short stories of the ultimate /ss/ bait)
Axa by fucking everybody that worked on it
Steven Grant & Mike Zeck's Damned
Mike Baron's The Grackle
Steve Mannion's Fearless Dawn (including related titles The Bomb, Strange Battle Tales, Strange Fairy Tales, Strange Pirate Tales)
Steve Purcell & Art Adams' Gumby
Chuck Dixon's Winterworld
Chris Roberson & Dennis Culver's Edison Rex (what if Lex Luthor finally killed Superman... and had to take his place once he realized that meant there was no one else left to defend Metropolis?)
Mike Baron's The Chronicles of Corum
Steve Moncuse's Fish Police
Chuck Dixon's Young Master (and related titles The Master, World of Young Master, Demon Blade)
Michael Alan Nelson & Damian Couceiro's Hawks of Outremer
Paul Dini's Jingle Belle
Twisted Toyfare Theatre (by the Robot Chicken guys)
Tony Wong's The Blood Sword
Tony Wong's Blood Sword Dynasty
Tony Wong's Drunken Fist
Tony Wong's The Force of Buddha's Palm
Tony Wong's Iron Marshal
Tony Wong's Oriental Heroes
Adam Warren's Dirty Pair
Adam Warren's Bubblegum Crisis
Comico's Robotech (by it's various writers and artists)
Larry Welz's Cherry Poptart
Frank Strom's Dee Dee
Frank Strom's Cheeta Pop
Frank Thorne's Moonshine McJugs
Frank Thorne's Ghita
Frank Thorne's Danger Rangerette
Frank Thorne's Ribit
Harvey Kurtzman & Will Elder's Little Annie Fanny

Probably because DC wont actually publish the Onimbuses we know exist, but Robinson's Starman doesn't get the attention it deserves.

>Emperor Joker, Sif JiM, Millar's rcent work
>Jeff Parker's Aquaman, Justice League United, and Hulk.
>Spider-Man loves Mary Jane
>Chuck Dixon's Punisher (which is actually better than half of Ennis' run)
>Howard Mackie & Mark Texeira's Ghost Rider
>Mike Baron's Badger (literally the best comic ever)
>Mike Baron & Steve Rude's Nexus (probably the best art on an ongoing series ever)
>Mark Millar's Superman Adventures (the best run on the overall best single Superman ongoing ever)
>Mark Millar's Swamp Thing (arguably the third best run on the character)
>Doug Moench's The Hands of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu

All overrated.

Route des Maisons Rouges by icantrememberwho
Steve Mannion's Christina Winters Agent of Death!
Marc-Antoine Mathieu's Julius Corentin Acquefacques, Prisoner of dreams
Vittorio Giardino's Little Ego
Carl Critchlow's Thrud the Barbarian
John Wagner & Arthur Ranson's Button Man
Philippe Francq & Jean Van Hamme's Largo Winch
Stephen Desberg & Bernard Vrancken's I.R.$.
Jean Dufaux & Philippe Xavier's Crusade
Makyo (aka Pierre Fournier) & Alessandro Calore's I Am a Cathar
Arnaud Delalande & Éric Lambert's The Last Cathar
Jean-Luc Istin & Augustin Popescu's The Master Inquisitors
Hammerfall by various writers/artists
Raoul Cauvin & Louis Salverius' The Bluecoats

u are no fun at all

All of Joe Kelly's pet characters got dumped after IC.
Most of them - Scorch, Manitou Dawn, Faith and the JLE all vanished without a trace. Major Disaster was one-shotted by Prime.

Tomasi's Nightwing

Knauf's Iron Man, the last good Iron Man book, right before the movie came out.

>millar's recent work
>underrated
pffft. people lap that shit up here so easily it's ridiculous. he's still making dumb 4 to 6 issue movie pitches in comic form with little substance but good artists. They're nothing special

Underrated??

It's second to Morrison's only, and the batman wondy thing is still the best example of making the fans happy and at the same time telling a story, It was great becouse it didn't last, it didn't matter and gave shippers a reason to shut up

Morrison sure, but not waid

Geoff johns is such a cunt

Tower of Babel makes so many greatest JLA stories of all time lists. And only Grant and Waids runs are collected in Deluxe Editions. Everything after is just a normal collection.

Superior was a fun ride.

now this is a truly underrated run. part of that sweet spot of late 90s to early 00s dc like 1997-2004

Geoff Johns is what happens when Nostalgiafags are given position of power.

>Lobdell's Fantastic Four
Fuck this run, it dumped into the trash literally everything that had been set-up right before Onslaught.

yup yup

>last good Iron man
That is implying Iron man ever had a good run. Even Busiek couldn't make him interesting.