The true sci-fi kino of the last 10 years

The true sci-fi kino of the last 10 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YO-6Ob1h0IQ
web.archive.org/web/20130525172007/http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/physik_astronomie/bericht-81640.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2It-0H0IF3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dude missile the sun lol

You can tell it is sci fi by the way they couldn't think of any way to have conflict other than to have a cereal killer show up half way through.

It's fucking fantastic, but the 3rd act kind of sputters out.

WHAT DO YOU SEE

Poor man's Event Horizon.

KANDA, WHAT RT SCORE DO YOU SEE?

I wanted to love this movie, I really did. The fact that it turns into a slasher just kills it for me completely though, and I typically love slashers.

This.

I wish the movie were about the Icarus I and instead of people going insane, the ship is breaking apart and they have to figure out ways to quickly repair the damage or be destroyed.

No psycho hologram, no bullshit theology/psychology lessons, just level-headed astronauts trying to save the world.

pleb

Unironically my favorite movie, and I have zero problems with the 3rd act.

Soundtrack is great as well.

>cereal killer
Fucking idiot

Arrival is better

>soundtrack was great as well

Even that bizarre, ear-splitting song they chose for the end credits that didn't fit the tone of the ending?

youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YO-6Ob1h0IQ

I flinched like a fucking fag during that segment where you see the close-up shots of the old crew who died. It scared the shit out of me and I had to look away. It wasn't even meant to be a jump-scare, just sad

looked amazing ,story sucked

why was the crew a bunch of 30 year olds, mostly women and coloreds?? real astronaut scientists look like this

Sunshine is actually kino. I have no idea why the reviewers seem to have all hated it, I thought it was a fucking masterpiece when I saw it. Amazing mood and atmosphere, science guys solving problems logically, just what I want from this kind of shit. Got a little bit actiony at the end but I'll forgive that. Really cool, underappreciated gem of a movie.

>physicist is least logical person on the ship
dropped

Event Horizon is the poor man's Event Horizon, because it's garbage.

The complaints against this movie are always funny to read.

This is my favourite scene

Was there some kind of political shitshow concerning this movie when it came out that I don't know of? It really seems weird to me how all critics seem to hate such a good movie.

8/10.

I forgive it's flaws because the execution is so god damn great.

The first time I watched it was a shitty on a shitty chinese stream site and even then Capa's jump gave me goosebumps.

So this giant 16km wide cube of fissile material is now at the surface of the sun, right? And somehow, inside this payload cube, the computers and electronics and air-conditioning are working just fine so that the 3 human beings left alive are still nice and comfy in their 72 degrees Fahrenheit enivronments.

And then at the end, the hero is standing on his gantry walkway as his mini big bang starts kicking into gear, and the ACTUAL SUN ITSELF starts burning through the walls, but our hero stays alive and puts his hands up to the flames itself? He's inside the sun and looking at the pretty flames? Wearing jeans and a t-shirt? All this, after many earlier moments in the film instantly burnt stuff because they were now so close to the sun?

This is a film that should never have been made. It started out with promise, and went down hill the moment they diverted their mission. The ending was PISS WEAK.

Maybe you should just watch Interstellar again instead.

>He's inside the sun and looking at the pretty flames
It was meant to be an artistic expression. He was long dead before that.

It's legitimately one of the worst sci-fi movies ever made

if that movie doesn't have any lions in it then it's not worth watching

Explain why in 50 words or less.

same. also, are you me?

saw this movie 6 times in the theater. My second fave film is Pitch Black.

Because you're a faggot.

I like how punctual it was.

>durr why was Marv so mean to her dad hurr
or let me guess Love!

>tfw you know reigniting the sun (stupid already) by setting off a nuclear bomb inside makes as much sense as thinking a car engine can be fixed by throwing a smaller car engine at it but the plebs ignore this and lap that shit up.

Not who you responded to but the last section of this film only make sense to me as a death hallucination so explain your comment further.

>because no sci-fi film before this made shit up that isn't real

Everyone knows the premise is impossible, but that is not the point of the film buddy.

When the film was released the promo shit made such a big deal about how it was grounded in science and how the production worked with NASA to make it as realistic possible. Your point is now invalid.

>web.archive.org/web/20130525172007/http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/physik_astronomie/bericht-81640.html
>A new $45m British-made science fiction film is being unveiled this week - and a physicist from The University of Manchester has played an important role in bringing it to the big screen.

>Dr Brian Cox, who can usually be found investigating how the universe was formed at the Centre for European Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland, has been working with Sunshine scriptwriter and University of Manchester old boy Alex Garland (The Beach) and director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting and 28 Days Later).

>Oldham-born Dr Cox has been acting as scientific advisor to Boyle and Garland to ensure the dramatic storyline retains some degree of plausibility and isn't simply a far-fetched flight of fantasy.

>retains some degree of plausibility and isn't simply a far-fetched flight of fantasy.

>retains some degree of plausibility

doesnt sound like they're selling a NASA documentary here m8.

Same

Can you imagine witnessing that

Honestly skip that one, but between "Capa's Last Transmission Home (the To Heal version as well), Mercury, and Trey's Fate, I have listen to a combined 2,000 times according to laptop.

Does anyone have a webm of "the Earth Room"?

I don't know, fuck critics. I'm talking about nerds on the internet and their "lmao third act hard right turn dumb ruined my hard sci fi but I totally like slasher flicks otherwise" faggot shit when it's set up from the second scene of the movie.

This movie is like the biggest case of people hating a movie in a way where I literally cannot fathom a single one of the complaints as something a real person would give a shit abut. The movie is beautiful and tense as fuck and the atmosphere is perfect throughout and have it in my permanent all-time sci-fi top 10. And it gets no respect. I haven't even been able to find a proper bluray release of it, all I found is a cheapo DVD double pack where it's effectively a bonus feature for Alien 1. Just baffling.

Glad I am not alone.

You didn't like that?
I think it fit the tone of "this is a Danny Boyle movie."

Anybody got pics or a webm of this?

Underrated for sure.

Good film. The people who complain about the third act are all sheep.

But that's not Moon. Also, Moon came out in 2009, and Sunshine came out in 2007 (not in the last 10 years).

Wouldn't think it would be difficult to find it, but it really is.

Here is a kind of shitty youtube video of the scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=2It-0H0IF3k

They sent all the skilled ones on the first ship.

Reason astronauts skew old is they are worried about effects of radiation on reproductive ability.

>Autism

>last 10 years.
>posts movie that's over 10 years old now

But... this thread is filled with people who like this movie a lot? The main complaint is that it becomes a slasher film in the final third. Which is pretty valid. If the enemy remained the fucking Sun itself instead of PTSD astronaut, Sunshine would probably be remembered as an all-time great movie, rather than a great movie with a gaping asterisk*.

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that they're mostly former fighter jet pilots and/or people who hold multiple master's degrees, and those things take a long time to accumulate.

>Mace was always right and if they'd done what he said at every opportunity the next disaster would have been avoided

based evans

People complain about the third act change in tone as if it was a clumsy cheap mistake when it was entirely intentional and set up well in advance, fitting into the themes and character balancing perfectly. It's in no way at all bad film-making, quite the opposite.
If it's not to one's taste, or one didn't like being shocked out of the comfy state they were in, or being presented with something they had to consider themselves instead of just letting the product tell them what to think, that's all understandable, if disappointing.
But to talk about the third act as if it was a fuck up is to betray one's own ignorance.

>it's shit on purpose

I don't really mind slasher guy so much, because it's not like he's just a slasher, he's a remnant of the old attempt to save the planet; sort of a dark foil to the crew that's still trying to save the world, he has instead decided that Earth and humanity should die. I think he's supposed to represent the worst despair that the crew themselves could fall to, and is the dark inverse to the faith that the crew maintains.

>If the enemy remained the fucking Sun itself instead of PTSD astronaut

Somewhat agree with you, but it was certainly not PTSD. It was social isolation and tunnel-vision on the objective. Which allowed the building of delusional meaning from staring at that objective so long before being able to meaningfully act.

wooosh

that's the sound of your igorance not getting the movie

screenwriter alex garland is big atheist and his belief or lack thereof really incluenced the script and the ending of that movie.

YES, the Icarus (and thus science) would prevail and make it, but the religious assholes had to stop progress and derange our trajectory.

you can call this edgy or whatever, but this was written barely five years after 9/11 and it rang true at the time.

If you don't believe me, read that Danny Boyle interview book. He goes all the way into how he adapted it because wanted a scifi movie on his imdb, whereas Garland was all over the themes etc.

>one didn't like being shocked out of the comfy state they were in
What the fuck is comfy about the ever-present threat of an exploding sun?
The first two thirds are about man vs. nature. This movie is cool because nature is not usually explored as "the uncaring universe and the harsh realities of physics."
The third act makes the movie about a crazy guy out to kill everyone.

>of the last 10 years

Its, good, but it came out 11 years ago.

I actually like your reading of slasher guy. I just feel his inclusion is tonally inconsistent and a bit of an anticlimax for these reasons: Yeah, I was being a bit careless with terms there.

>all this trash talk about the third act

Yeah it came out of nowhere but not gonna lie, I was sleep deprived at the time so it was something really surreal to me. I liked it.

>There are 4 life signs on the ship

There was 5 not 4

It is a very normal Hollywood trope, adding obstacles on existing obstacles.

>You will never fug cassie and fall asleep by her side

why live bros

The existing obstacles were how many times could the technology of the ship fuck up. After hte first once or twice that isn't tense. Look at Mission Impossible 4 and how every piece of technology used by the agents fails just to create Hollywood tension. That's a good movie, but not because the gadgets fuck up. It's frankly absurd and jarring. Human tension is much more effective, and they'd (Sunshine) already used the internecine crew strife. And again, as has been mentioned so many times, it was set up from the beginning.

that shit legit scared the fuck out of me, it was a great moment, third act haters be damned.