What the hell was it?

What the hell was it?

it was Lovecraftian

god

It was the abyss. Abyss of human malice. It was literally hell.

Why wasn't Rust shooting at it then?

It was a drug-induced hallucination. That's it.

it was a perception of god in the context of good eventually winning out over evil

what did he mean by this?

Rust had too much insight so he's finally able to see what's always been there

Pizza did an interview within less than a week of the finale. He explained his intentions and meaning behind everything completely shitting on many theories that were arguably better than what he intended.

In OP's photo Rust may have quite possibly broken the void and had a glimpse into the abyss - implying there is so much more going on in the universe besides humanity and while investigating the child rape/murders he tapped into the omnipresent darkness of the universe. A very "Lovecraftian" concept and I know Sup Forums hates that term.

But Pizza just said "ah yeah he it was hallucinations from when he did drugs" which killed any mystery.

did he ever explain Rust's monologue at the very end?
still pretty weird

gods bullet wound.

fuck pizza though
death of the author

that guy is his own worst enemy

how did he manage to write any good episodes at all

Kek

it was a dreamlike vision that was his brain's way of processing exposure to the raw information that underpins what we think of as reality. his experiences allowed him to glimpse beyond the veil but he still could not truly perceive what was there, only apprehend that something was in fact there. stated another way: it was a tiny crack in the a priori perceptual structure that shapes Being itself but what lay beneath was ineffable.

Nope. Pizza said it was drugs.

he was wrong. authors don't necessarily know what they're doing when they write.

It's a hallucination.

and? is that where your "analysis" ends, brainlet? that was covered in the first sentence.

desu all the shit about it being the actual void like you said is stupid as fuck. your fan theories are shit. hallucinations make much more sense. what purpose would lovecraftian horror have in a story about two detectives solving a murder case?

also, that kind of 'mystery' is bad. something is not bad because it doesn't have any 'mystery'.

stop being a retard.

Everything with you kind of faggots has to establish some kind of marketable universe to satisfy your autism and need for fulfillment. You can't just have a open and close story. You need sequels and prequels and animated shorts and spin-offs and videogames and novels and fucking wikis to hold your hand all the way through. What's most ironic is you are so desperate to appear deep and immerse yourself into lore that you intentionally deny yourself of ever having more than a surface-level understanding of a show like True Detective. Oh no, your shitty Lovecraftian, Kafkaesque, Cosmic Horror reddit maymay fanfic got BTFO by the creator of the show and now you're butthurt. You're probably fat too. Fuck you are so stupid and I will literally kill you if I ever get the chance. Don't even dare replying to my post.

Why is it so hard to understand that his "visions" were just acid flashbacks consequence of his drug abuse while undercover, fueled by his schizoid personality disorder?

I mean, the show spells it out clearly. If it looks cosmic or Lovecraftian, is probably because that's the state of mind Rust was going through. Not so hard to understand, considering he was chasing a follower of the occult through some fucking catacombs.

This show already gives you some very interesting views about life, why ruin it by confirming supernatural elements?

Still nobody has explained his monologue at the end about being in the coma

The idea that there are forces at work beyond human comprehension that may or may not influence the evil we do in this world is terrifying and fascinating and nearly limitless from a writing standpoint.

"It was a drug flashback" is boring and a weak climax.

If this didn't prove Fukunaga was the real brains behind True Detective, S2 did.

It was a portal to Carcosa or wherever the fuck. The guy was performing ritual murders to open it, but Wooderson stopped him before he could finish the job.

As I said here I just don't think people want that. We have the Law & Order procedurals for that.

The first season of True Detective had a promising start hinting it was going to dip it's toes into Ligotti/Lovecraft horror - not tentacles and monsters but the degeneracy of the human race and existential crisis.

For Pizza to come out and lay his cards on the table was disappointing because often the viewer imagine can be bigger than the authors intent and the author shouldn't ruin the viewers experience by divulging everything.

This so much. There could have been a Stranger Things-esque finale and they squandered it.

But the theories about the stupid shit was always stupid shit. Seeing the trees instead of the forest.

And all the people who believed it like are stupid, too.

Why stupid?

GOD

I can't believe you people call the ending weak or dissapointing. They nearly die and the experience actually reconciled part of Rust nature with his own life, and it's purpose.

It ended beautifully, it was from beggining to end a study of the human soul, and you whine because you wanted a tentacle monster in the sky that makes people evil. Maybe then all the True Detectives can assemble to defeat it with a great beam to the sky, right?

I was gonna write some shit but said what I was gonna say.

The show does a fine job of showing Rust seeing strange stuff and letting the viewer decide whether it's a supernatural event or drug-induced hallucination. Explicitly explaining an ambiguous scene cheats the viewer of the opportunity to interpret the scene on their own terms. It shows contempt for the audience and the medium.

tl:dr: Show, don't tell.

I said "not tentacles and monsters but the degeneracy of the human race and existential crisis"

I obviously didn't want to see Del Toro tentacles in True Detective.

I have watched the first season a bunch I love it so much. My only issue is Pizza telling the audience "This is what this means and this is what that means and your interpretation is wrong"

By telling the audience that the "vision" was nothing more than a drug flashback it strips away any possible mystery to the story.

People shit on Lindelof but one of the best things he did was keep his mouth shut about The Leftovers and it added to the mystery and enjoyment of the show.

>Maybe then all the True Detectives can assemble to defeat it with a great beam to the sky
FUCKING FUND IT!

Also the old black lady freaking out was never explained

It's implied she was a child rape victim.

>it strips away any possible mystery to the story.
Who cares? You should be taking Rust's and Marty's growth as men and applying what they learn and experience to your own life. That's what True Detective is about. Are you tending to your family with proper attentiveness? Are you afraid of existence? Of living? Are you afraid that having children will only lead them to a horrible life? etc.
Nice trips.

>You should be taking Rust's and Marty's growth as men and applying what they learn and experience to your own life. That's what True Detective is about. Are you tending to your family with proper attentiveness? Are you afraid of existence? Of living? Are you afraid that having children will only lead them to a horrible life? etc.

It's possible to have multiple themes in a single film/series.

But her talk about dying not being the end combined with Rust's coma experience imply there was always supposed to be a deeper mystery

What did he mean when he mowed Marty's lawn? It's never fully explained and the characters never even revisit it. My own personal theory is there was some kind of lovecraftian entity that was able to mind-wipe the incident from their heads entirely, but to what end?

This

Nick Pizzahutto seems like the kind of guy who thinks of himself as a serious, brooding artist and therefore he could never allow himself to be associated with paranormal fiction.

he needs to embrace his true nature as a hack fraud and just make a really weird creepy southern gothic horror show.

He has Thomas Ligotti to thank for his TD sucess

>how did he manage to write any good episodes at all
the writing was always the weakest part of the show. the acting, tone and visuals were what made it great, at least in s1. s2 was a fuckin mess.

>Why is it so hard to understand that his "visions" were just acid flashbacks consequence of his drug abuse while undercover, fueled by his schizoid personality disorder?

We didn't know that for sure. The show was ambiguous and that's what made it great, because it made it plausible that there was a supernatural element to the murders.

This was a far better narrative drive than a by-the-numbers murder mystery with a kosher conspiracy about buying land.

Don't forget the abortive plot point with Marty's daughter being possibly molested, and setting up his father-in-law as possibly being in on it.

It turns out she was just a stupid slut.

Cosmic horror has nothing to do with capeshit or cinematic universes you idiot. I think season 1 ended perfectly, but I don't think the portal was just a hallucination. What would even be the point?

Of course there is. Don't listen to the idiots in this thread. The show clearly wove a supernatural undertone throughout the entire season.

The fact that this is all you can intuit about what the other user is describing shows a sad lacl of imagination on your part. You should cut him some slack, because what he's talking about is infinitely more terrifying than any physical entity.