*turns the art of cinema into a dishonest masquerade of primitive emotional manipulations*

*turns the art of cinema into a dishonest masquerade of primitive emotional manipulations*

Other urls found in this thread:

lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/marc-cassivi/201801/23/01-5151202-les-lecons-de-denis-villeneuve.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Villeneuve truly manufactures films for the low-brow audience who favor cheap ideals of entertainment over artistic merit. His films have just enough stylized gimmickry (the putrid, flat digital, the piss-filters aka grading, the hot-topic cinematographers, etc) to pass off as something above-average to the average moviegoer, from which such people can pat themselves on the back for having sat through their idea of cinema. But his films amount to cheap consumption and are dishonest. You can hear it in his voice, when he talks about, for example, the original Blade Runner and how he first saw it in cinema and how it left such an impression on him all these years later. And of course he's so damn honored and privileged to get to work on the sequel, and to have Scott's blessing in doing so. But it's all inauthentic - he's just happy to have his big break and get to piggy back off the success of greater works. His only sincere actions are those in regards to his native province of Quebec, Canada - because he cannot forget the few honest moments he had back there as he was breaking into the industry, before he had succumbed to Hollywood.

Cheeto

Villeneuve's movies have no distinctive visual style. They're shot like videogame cutscenes.

Stained

>His only sincere actions are those in regards to his native province of Quebec, Canada
As a Quebecois, can anyone explain to me what the fuck this is supposed to mean?

He's essentially a marvel(the capeshit studio) "director"

I think they are saying his early work was his best and "honest" because hollywood hadn't ruined him seeing as he was from canada

But it's written in the present tense, like his current actions in regards to the province are the only sincere thing. Also, films aren't "actions". It don't make no sense.

most of it is bullshit I wouldn't think much about it desu. But they are saying his "actions" as in his motives and directorial choices were not corrupted by money or fame due to being outside of the hollywood sphere of influence. that's how I see it anyways.

>turns the art of cinema into a dishonest masquerade of primitive emotional manipulations
That is, and will always be what cinema is, you fucking idiot. If a movie doesn't tear at your soul, it isn't a great movie.

You're one dense faggot.

here come angry 2049geese

>releases mainstream movie too complex for plebians
psh

>too complex
Original Blade Runner was complex. Maybe not 'deep', but always subtle and elegant in portraying its themes. Why do you think so many people got upset about the voiceover, or the unicorn dream, the only on-the-nose scene crammed in the later cuts of the film?
BR2049 is about as subtle as a monster truck. Every scene in the unicorn dream scene, with Jared Leto's """"acting""" being worst offender. Every shot is some boring, safe, momma-look-I-can-into-symmetry shit with filtered color scheme.

From my point of view cinema has always been a dishonest masquerade of primitive emotional manipulations.

Why is Sup Forums throwing itself against Villeneuve when the epitome of a dishonest filmmaking is also a hated soyboy

Daily reminder that I saved Sup Forums.

Villeneuve is more honest than the Pope. Villeneuve is so honest I told him my childhood secrets. He's so honest I lent him half of my life savings knowing that he'd pay me back with interest. Villeneuve is so honest I let him take my girlfriend out to dinner. Villeneuve doesn't even know how to say "mensonge" in English.

Dishonest art is better than honest one

Nolan Fags are desperately trying to force this meme

You saved it from appreciating the one decent high budget film released in a decade in order to make way for more Star Wars and Marvel threads. Good job.

Calling Deakins a hop topic cinematographer is the most accurate part of this pasta

The themes and how they're articulated are just as complex in 2049 than they were in the original. What the original has over 2049 is a much more original and groundbreaking aesthetic. The movie was a technical marvel in ways that 2049 really isn't.

>filtered color scheme.
The vast majority of the visuals have been done entirely in-camera, like any other Deakins work.

Don't bother, no one here has studied film. They don't understand the difference between camera filters and digital color-grading, how lighting works, what an f-stop is. This is the most Dunning-Kruger board after Sup Forums

Making in camera affects is the pinnacle of dishonesty,

>affects
2049's detractors everybody

First learn the difference between the words effects and affects, secondly it's all done with actual on set lights, not like turning up the fucking yellow spectrum on the camera.

>*post meaningless buzzwords after getting BTFO three times a day since BR2049 was released*
What did OP mean by this?

OP is a faggot etc.

2049 feels like a bunch of rooms with nothing in it that are impeccably clean.

>still samefagging to the full throttle

Movies should evoke thought along with emotion. In fact, a movie that relies more on emotion than thought is ultimately hollow and forgettable.

Cinematography is the McChicken of filmic discourse, cheap and easily digestible but lacking in substantive substance

Please slit your wrists user. There is no difference between the visuals and the story, you tell the story through the visual narrative, the sound and picture is all there is

I don't think you know what cinematography is or how it works.

>substantive substance

Good lord what website are you from

An honest filmmaker wouldn't care about the camera filters or natural lights, as long as the desired look is achieved. Caring about the 'authenticity' of the production is a typical of dishonest 'auteurs'. Pure fart sniffing and something to put on press release.

Yes, and by assuring that he gets the look immediately right on set just like he wants he knows that he has the desired look already achieved, not leaving it for the last step in post production and waiting for all the chinese CGI renderer slaves to shit out their part first. Nice buzzwords though.

>Villeneuve's movies have no distinctive visual style. They're shot like videogame cutscenes
Why do you immediatly contradict yourself by comparing him to a specific aesthetic?

Denis isn't a Nolan luddite though. He's not afraid of CGI. Using non-digital techniques serves a legitimate aesthetic purpose in his films

"THEY SOY MUST FLOW" - Dennis about the dune adaptation.

Is not Sup Forums, is OP, the triggered faggot and his merry band of redditors.

u are retarded. Chazelle is honest as u can get.

-Doesnt give a shit about diversity cast - check

makes movies with white cast - check

-makes un-pretentious movies from passion and heart - check

- makes pure entertainment and doesnt make "deep" or "art-house" dishonest trash.

- makes movies without political agenda.

If you were wondering how Denis feels about not being nominated, he's not surprised at all since he knew BR2049 essentially being a flop killed his chance.
He's very happy with the nominations he got, but disappointed that the OST from Zimmer and Wallfisch didn't get recognition because in his opinion it's the best by far out of all the nominees, along with The Phantom Thread's.
Speaking of which, The Phantom Thread or Dunkirk are the two movies that left the biggest impression on him this year and he is happy to see them in the Best Picture category.

Other than that, he's planning to be more involved in the scripts of his movies from now on, because it's easier than having to change the DNA of the movie when it's already too late.

Here's the link just to prove I'm not bullshitting, but it's in french. lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/marc-cassivi/201801/23/01-5151202-les-lecons-de-denis-villeneuve.php

I think your 15 followers adore you now.

Is as much as complex as the 1982 movie.
If you hate the original I understand hating 2049, but loving the original and hating 2049 makes you sound like the people that did not get the original in 1982.

It drives me crazy that retards like this one Think they did something for cinema. The movie needed all the support for those that knew the original. All we will have from now is capeshit.

Based honest poster

is actually from a real review?
who is cynical and negative enough to believe and write stuff like this?

Because you're new

You look lonely