Thoughts on Shin Godzilla?

Thoughts on Shin Godzilla?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that scene where he goes apeshit and destroys the town was absolute kino as fuck.

It made the entire movie worthwhile, even though I was bored as fuck 90% of the movie, that scene was glorious.

It could have been better with less retarded editing and better CGI.

big time kino

>modern cinema "fans"

Underrated as fuck. Shits on all the western Godzilla attempts, made Zilla' great again

Fuck off, Anno directs like it's anime, he can't help himself. Unfortunately that doesn't translate very well to the dialogue and it ends up being talking heads interspersed with some cool action. And some of the CGI work really is quite terrible, even for asian film standards.

Not sure why Anno wanted to mourn prince by changing an iconic color of Godzilla's beam breathe but trivial stuff aside I much prefer it to our attempt.

This one is better.

It's shit, all the characters are not even characters and Godzilla does absolutely nothing with the sxception of 2 scenes

now can you stop making threads about it multiple times a day almost 2 years later?

All Godzilla sucks. Fun character works for games anime short shit rides whatever. As a story? Nope lol

I love it. I've had a soft spot for this crap franchise since I was a kid, but all of it pales in comparison to Shin Godzilla, sans for maybe the very first film.

It does get a little boring towards the end, but I feel like it's way more consistantly entertaining than most of those films, even the new american film.

Would love to see a part two, even if Anno doesn't direct it.

Pure kino
Watched it for the first time last night, and it is by far my favorite Godzilla movie.

Extremely boring. Majority of the movie is nothing but bureaucrats going from meeting room to meeting room, discussing what to do. Its obvious that is what they were going for, to criticize government red tape. It should have stopped after the first half hour though. Its like someone telling spending a minute to tell a joke then continuously explaining the joke for another hour. Constant, unending exposition. Not sure if its just a Japanese thing or the filmaker, but it really should have stopped.

If Godzilla films have one major problem its treating the audience like idiots having to unnecessarily explain everything.

It's called FUN

Wasn't it more for bureaucracy than against it? Seemed to me that they were trying to drive home the whole 'humantities strength is its cooperation' feel.

This idea is emphasized with the final scene with Zilla being in the mid process if making human zillas.

>'humantities strength is its cooperation' feel.
This is true, don't know about the rest.

The film poster makes it look like Godzilla is wearing lingerie.

is it good, go ahead and tell me for realz

it's hilarious because it's super subversive about japanese culture and the frustration people felt after Fukushima, but that they can't vocalize or put into art because of their national sense of repressed stoicism.

Godzilla doesn't just come back out of the ocean as a monster. Godzilla comes back to us now from the past to help process the fucking shock and confusion after something ridiculous happens.

I feel that the design looks so silly though. those tiny arms with massive hips and thighs just looks stupid af

you are a dumb simpsons poster

taste was never part of your genetic pool

C'MON

Pure kino

The CGI blends in way better than American CGI does with its hyperrealism

American CGI in movies can't into proper lighting or scene blending

Loved it.

Also made me sad because America's shitty Godzilla is all we will get now. Stupid amecians will never understand nor make a good kaiju movie. Like we needed a shitty marvel verison for kaiju movies.

>Majority of the movie is nothing but bureaucrats

t. Amerimutt who only seen 1998 Godzilla

Looks like Michael Mann's cinematography. Great film, should watch it again.

Wonderful. Best Godzilla movie. Best disaster movie overall.

>tfw no goji gf

Pure kino. Easily 9/10.

no its not. so much exposition and godzilla was virtually a boss fight, invulnerable until find the weakness and shit becomes easy

It's good in a different genre.

A sequel to Shin Godzilla could take influence from this.

for the pic they go through the trouble of lining all the godzilla's next to eachother AND writing their size, but then the godzilla's are not scaled according to their size. Makes 2017 godzilla look like he's at least 4 or 5 times larger than shin godzilla but he's less than 3 times larger

Horrendous english.

Found the amerimutt.

>those eyes
what the fuck, is that real? did they actually use that?

Pretty fucking enjoyable. Even the less exciting parts were actually enjoyable

no...it was photoshopped for that image...

retard, of course they used it. It was a fucking puppet.

those eyes look stupid as fuck, no need to get so buttblasted over it

So you think you can do better? Go ahead, craft some eyes for us to see.

You have till this thread dies to post them.

>amerimutt

>21st century equivalent of the 1970s "honkie"
>epithet with no teeth in it
>"mutts" still doing a better job of keeping immigrants out

kek

How did you like the captions and soundtrack?

I thought it was excellent.

Literally the only BAD part is the American. And that's just a waste. They could have found an actual American who would have been HAPPY to do it. Everything else might not be to everyone's taste, but it got the job done.

9/10. Would be 1010 with minor tweaks.

The soundtrack was pretty fucking good. The originals were all fantastic, and the old tracks were well chosen for their scenes.
As for the captions, they were pretty good, and actually did an excellent job of conveying what was being said, rather than being like other captions that just simplified the fuck out of it
I wish they had actually gotten a Jap/American to play Kyouko. She had a very, VERY noticeable accent for someone who was supposedly raised in America

I find it more funny that nip red tape is the one killing them harder than Godzilla destroying the city.

literally what makes you think them using the army killed more people than Godzilla?

And then it's DOUBLE funny when you realize that without that bureaucracy Godzilla would destroy all of Japan.

I'm a SEAnigger, you filthy weeb.

he's saying they could have stopped Godzilla sooner if they stopped arguing.

But in fact if they'd tried the very first things suggested, they would have wasted a lot of time and killed a lot of people with the army.

This film is the triumph of red tape over giant monsters, red tape WINS. PacRim is AMERICA FUCK YEAH versus giant monsters. EVA is giant robots powered by child abuse versus giant monsters. Attack on Titan is 'war is hell' featuring giant monsters. The giant monster genre is surprisingly broad.

When godzilla beam'd the higher ups, things went faster for everyone though.

... that's true.

But imagine if they didn't have the thick bureaucracy at all, then when the higher-ups die the whole thing is lost. Nobody else would be in a position to have the right contacts and experience to keep the army and hospitals or whatever running.

They didn't do it perfectly first time, but they stopped it in the end, and it's the process that allowed them. If one plan didn't work, it was possible to believe they could come up with new ones. If one set of main characters is blasted, it was possible to believe that new people would rise to the challenge.

And then Godzilla also evolves over the course of the film ... hmmm this is better than I thought.

Did anyone else get chills at the ending? I need End of Gojira

typical Anno symbolism garbage

first laser scene was kino and all with the music though

It was kino...but Kayoko Ann Patterson should have been killed by Godzilla

SHit, It was like watching a NGE without shinji,or EVA,and instead of a weird angel I got Godzilla.

Go shill for capeshit somewhere else, kike

I actually enjoyed this

>I wish they had actually gotten a Jap/American to play Kyouko. She had a very, VERY noticeable accent for someone who was supposedly raised in America

She wants to be President of America. That's her motivation and it's the only personal goal in the whole film.

American is a culture, not a costume, bitch!

>that tail swipe at the end

Pure Anime Kinographique

Godzilla but he has his shit together. Imagine a war against one giant monster that is much smarter than you. Shin Godzilla and Monster Planet were great examples of a non-existent genre.

I half expected King Ghidorah to arise at the end!

More of a political deconstruction film using a monster disaster as a backdrop. Very good movie. Anno is a genius

>Shin Godzilla

Is "shin" the Japanese word for obese?

no...it means new
ALSO DELETE THAT FUCKING PICTURE YOU NIGGER

It was specifically criticizing the Japanese civil service for being ass covering and slow to move (see: Fukushima), while still praising cooperation and the heroic Japanese Self-Defense Forces.

Overrated, yet still better than half the series

The film has very good pacing in the first half or so, and godzilla himself at the very least feels like an actual threat. Then after the first atomic breath scene everything comes to a screeching halt and the plot just drags on and on for the rest of the film, culminating in a tone deaf climax that felt more like it belonged in a late Showa era movie than a political satire that showcased real world consequences multiple times over.

I really don't get why fans love it.

Are you really acting like this isn't exactly what goji turned into at some point? Some of those fun goofy showa films are some of the best in the entire franchise if only because they're unpretentious and know how to have fun. None of the godzilla sequels that tried to invoke the seriousness and message of the original succeeded. The closest ones are Shin and GMK, maybe Biollante though the idea was updated to fit the cold war era.

This desire to restrict a series to its original concept is counterintuitive to the act of storytelling itself.

It's just one of his transformations retard

Liked it. I actually enjoyed the bureaucracy parts and the series of rooms it took place in.

54 is still best

Kinozilla

Kaiju movies that have a focus on characters you don't care about doing shit you don't care about will always be the worst kind. This movie excels purely on the fact that you do have characters that have personalities, but their focus IS on solving the problem of the kaiju, not some bullshit family/relationship drama or personal life side plots. I understand that those side plots are meant to characterize by showing drama or relationships or whatever, but this movie does characterization the right way, revealing character traits through actions and conversation related directly to GZ. This movie has a main character yeah, but what do you know about him and his character? You know everything that you NEED to know, no unnecessary exposition about him or his life. Everything revealed about him is relevant to the plot.

This is probably the biggest flaws in kaiju/disaster movies, startup time until the event. If the monster or event doesn't actually happen until 20 minutes, that means the movie decided to take that time to put forth character exposition, but in doing so that kind of puts the monster or event as the opposition the main character and the problem with that is that it usually just likens the monster or event to a plot device to have the character deal with his drama in a more dire situation. This movie is infinitely better than a lot of other kaiju movies in the fact that dealing with Godzilla is the ONLY focus, any other situation or side plot is a result of that.

You're a faggot and probably a netshit shill too

>shin godzilla
>it's not about godzilla manifesting itself on someone's shin
Misleading title.

that scene sucked
the city was evacuated
no tension

and his new flammable barf laser thing isn't as good as his old blue laser

>Anno wanted to mourn prince
pretty sure that was a bs article

think he chose purple cause of nausicaa and evangelion unit 01

loved. my favorite bodyhorror

treezilla a shit, can't believe they actually thought it was a good idea

Actually this movie has more tension than most kaiju movies. When there's a main single main character you know for a fact he won't die and will win. In this there are main characters, a collective, it's more likely for a collective to lose than a main character.

literally a masterpiece,
the ultimate pleb filter

Good. Good.

They were keeping it pretty cool considering what was happening.

Now I want to see the parody version where Godzilla invades some country with a fucked civil service. Italy or Greece or Kazakhstan or something.

Zilla would get smoked in Greece right in his first incarnation. Greeks don't save on the army with Turks right next to them.

He's a fucking radioactive lizard fish and that's not even his final form why would he have edgy badass eyes

>"mutts" still doing a better job of keeping immigrants out
>a country entirely made of immigrants that wiped out the native population into nothingness

Second best after ‘54

fa/tg/uy here, i used one of the tracks for my D&D sessions when my sorc looked at me and said "I use the power" My bud sold his soul to a devil named Sythis the roll he made to choose the effect of the custom ability i made was essentially the atomic breath, as i described how the power worked
youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
This track was going

>EM20_RHYTHM_GZM組織結成 starts playing

It's a fucking tease. It never gets to the brass section. I had to play Decisive battle for 10 mins straight when I got home to unblue my balls.

Yeah same. I could feel my eyes slowly widening in the cinema when it first started playing and I remember thinking it would get built up some more and play triumphantly later in the film.

>retarded editing
i bet you think one shot is the best editing

the Indian was also immigrants, retard

pretty much the whole human race are immigrants

It was pretty damn good.