What was their fucking problem?

What was their fucking problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8_UhDPHqM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There are people who disagree with them.

Homosexuality.

>Homosexuality.
This.
It's a problem that has been infesting Sup Forums for a while. DO NOT LISTEN to those guys. they will try to turn you gay.

They could not agree on pizza toppings. A fact that breaks more relationships a part then mario kart

Sometimes people disagreed, which meant that they were wrong.

Why was this show so much better than it had any right to be?

They just wanted to sing, and put you in a good mood

I remember them!

>tfw still have the volume 3 box set of Garfield & Friends I bought years ago
loved it as a kid

They were the face of 80's Reagan conservadurism and as ironic as it sounds, the best way they found to defeat a collectivistic ideology like communism was with more collectivism.

>Garfield has been a very bad dog lately. I'm going to teach him a lesson she'll never forget!
>Don't worry, Kermit.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8_UhDPHqM

Garfield tried to warn us about PC culture, but we didn't listen.

Back in the '80s, networks really pushed the writers of their kid shows to include the notion that going along with the collective group is the only right approach to any given situation.

Even reasonable objections were invariably portrayed as being bad since it disrupted the collective harmony.

So you'd have things like Eric in Dungeon and Dragons always complaining about what everybody else was doing and invariably being wrong by doing so.

This was a parody of that herd mentality.

They didn't know shit about gazorninplats

>that's not a mistake that's how much food I always pack

It confuses me why they would want to do this.

Holy shit, you're right. Maybe because it fit in so well with the D.A.R.E. propaganda, but fitting in and going with the straight and narrow approach was the flavor of the day back then.

It somehow fit with Reagan fans and all the stupid "Just say no to drugs kids" shit.

MOM COME LOOK I USED A MEME ON Sup Forums I HAVE FRIENDS NOW MOM STOP CRYING DAD WILL COME HOME ANY DAY NOW MOM STOP CALLING ME A REDDITOR THAT REALLY HURTS

They were Democrats.

According to Mark Evanier, who wrote for both Dungeons and Dragons as well as Garfield and Friends, it was because of television watchgroups.

>The kids were all heroic — all but a semi-heroic member of their troupe named Eric. Eric was a whiner, a complainer, a guy who didn't like to go along with whatever the others wanted to do. Usually, he would grudgingly agree to participate, and it would always turn out well, and Eric would be glad he joined in. He was the one thing I really didn't like about the show.

>So why, you may wonder, did I leave him in there? Answer: I had to.

>As you may know, there are those out there who attempt to influence the content of childrens' television. We call them "parents groups," although many are not comprised of parents, or at least not of folks whose primary interest is as parents. Study them and you'll find a wide array of agendum at work…and I suspect that, in some cases, their stated goals are far from their real goals.

>Nevertheless, they all seek to make kidvid more enriching and redeeming, at least by their definitions, and at the time, they had enough clout to cause the networks to yield. Consultants were brought in and we, the folks who were writing cartoons, were ordered to include certain "pro-social" morals in our shows. At the time, the dominant "pro-social" moral was as follows: The group is always right…the complainer is always wrong.

>This was the message of way too many eighties' cartoon shows. If all your friends want to go get pizza and you want a burger, you should bow to the will of the majority and go get pizza with them. There was even a show for one season on CBS called The Get-Along Gang, which was dedicated unabashedly to this principle. Each week, whichever member of the gang didn't get along with the gang learned the error of his or her ways.

>We were forced to insert this "lesson" in D & D, which is why Eric was always saying, "I don't want to do that" and paying for his social recalcitrance. I thought it was forced and repetitive, but I especially objected to the lesson. I don't believe you should always go along with the group. What about thinking for yourself? What about developing your own personality and viewpoint? What about doing things because you decide they're the right thing to do, not because the majority ruled and you got outvoted?

>We weren't allowed to teach any of that. We had to teach kids to join gangs. And then to do whatever the rest of the gang wanted to do.

>What a stupid thing to teach children.