Just watched High Rise

Just watched High Rise

It this supposed to be the usual class conflict metaphor?

Also, what should i think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IYfdY4Sl-EQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is about class conflict, but in particular the conflict between different stations of the middle class. More uniquely British, not sure it's something that Americans would get.

it's a message
the director is a communist and the purpose of the movie was to demonstrate how capitalism fails when everything is available to everyone

>It this supposed to be the usual class conflict metaphor?
no it was an allegory for man's love of euclidean geometry

i think Ben Wheatley should go back to smaller movies. Field in England and Kill List is kino

was it kino

>an allegory for man's love of euclidean geometry
what

Finish your dog's leg before it goes cold, OP.

ah, viewing comprehension's not your strong suit, is it?

It was an ambitious, well-made film that regrettably didn't quite work for reasons I fail to pinpoint. I didn't enjoy it very much, but I wish more movies like that were made.

it's shit

the narrative was clear but filmed in a sequence of events that seemed more and more muddled as the movie continued to its rather lackluster climax. still a must see. one of my favs of recent years, but i do acknowledge its flaws. plus, the humor is particularly very British. not many Americans I screened the film with found the dancing sequences or quips funny. not to mention the inferred bestiality.

I agree, love those movies. Free Fire was disappointing in my opinion

>I wish more movies like that were made.
This movie was Snowpiercer but in a building. I enjoyed it too, but pretending it was well made or even thought out is nothing short of pretentious.

> Free Fire was disappointing in my opinion
i enjoyed the hell out of Free Fire, but i don't think it stuck its landing. i'd like Wheatley to alternate between these smaller movies and more ambitious fare like High Rise. he's presently filming what i think is a smaller film called Colin You Anus. lol. i think the larger film he was making, Freakshift, hit a snag and hasn't begun filming so he's doing a smaller film first. man, i love his work ethic. even if his films vary in quality, there's always a sequence or two in each that make them gems.

It's a problem with many of J G Ballard's novels (which are informed by his boyhood experiences in a Shanghai internment camp). They are clinically written and build to a predictable pathos.

i guess you haven't read the book, nor seen the movie

>This movie was Snowpiercer but in a building.
why do people say that

how exactly does the availability of products for everyone cause the failure of capitalism in the film?

limited understanding of the larger if unsubtle themes at play in the narratives. they associate the similar story structures - one takes place in a building, the other on a train.

I didn't like it

capitalism is class based, in the movie we see these upper class people try to hold on to their status as upper class by going to the extreme because simply owning stuff meant nothing because everything was available to everyone
this led to a cascade failure of the high-rise society, where they start hoarding all resources for themselves that ends up ruining the "eco system" of the building. leaving them as a society with stone-age like morals because they held on to the evil sides of capitalism to the point where we see the main character eat his own dog for survival

The score of this film is on fucking point.

I really didn't like it.
Rich people doing rich things like it some sort of a metaphor for everyday life.

Its not, strictly speaking, really a metaphor. The move to build high rise towers was born out of a strand of post-war utopianism. Other user is right that the gradations of class are really within the range of the middle class, which is ostensibly the most civilised, but also the most vicious in reality because its extremely hard to make any upward movement and the middle class are terrified they might slip down (for American readers: this has little to do with money itself).

Ballard's point is what his point is: civilisation is skin-deep and only lasts as long as your stomach stays full and then some nasty stuff inside you could become unleashed. This was obviously his "Empire of the Sun" experience in China and most of his best known novels are variations on that theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=IYfdY4Sl-EQ
Clint Mansell is awesome

Er missed my own punchline here. So what it ties it all together is that Ballard is saying to make it in the English middle class (which he was slightly outside in a special way being a colonial), you have to be a vicious motherfucker. One day its expressed with social barbs and seductions, the next in murder and rape and that there isn't much difference in the underlying morality and character being shown.