Just started a brand new job as a Station Engineer for a TELEVISION station today...

Just started a brand new job as a Station Engineer for a TELEVISION station today. I've got a 10 year history in broadcasting. I won't say AMA because I'm not Reddit, but if you want to know about the TV industry, I will tell you what I can.

so you're in charge of cutting out lewd bloopers?

How did you get the job start from the very beginning

Whats the best/easiest position to start in with no experience

nice rack

have people started calling you "that guy" yet?

No self respecting professional would be caught dead on Sup Forums.

I went to a broadcasting class at a trade school for half the day during my junior an senior years of high school. I got a job in Master Control out of high school.

Production Assistant. You should at least be able to do some non-linear editing though and be able to demonstrate it. Careful though, that path points you towards news. Depending on your personality, news can suck. Don't get stuck there if you don't like it.

No, everyone knows who I am.
I'm working on the self respect.

Why some stations only accept RGB files and no REC709?

The colors are all fucked up.

That’s what they called me at my last two jobs. Do you know me?

Which local are you in?

I'm out of Atlanta myself and am working with Turner as of eight months ago. If you're around here, let's have lunch or beers.

Every station has their own acceptable formats because you have no fucking idea how picky and finicky ingest software is for different automation systems. If an ingest transcoder doesn't like a format, it will simply kick it out and not accept it. Not much you can do about it but bitch at whoever wrote it.

Stations should get Rhozet Carbon Coder
That shit will transcode anything

Seattle. Won't get more specific than that.

do you get paid more than me

Pulling in about 65k/yr with this job. Pretty happy with it. More than I've made before and can be comfy.

Why is nbcsn coverage of the Olympics so shitty?

Oh so you work at Komo.
I used to live across the street from the station

I don't work in Seattle proper but in the market. I have a former coworker that works in Creative at KOMO.

What do you do for Turner? I've never worked for them, how is it?

Is your boss a jew?

Not directly. Googled the guy at the very top. Difficult to tell. Probably.

I'm looking for some vector and waveform monitors only for shit and giggles for my office.
I do basic color correction and always wanted some at home.

Are the Blackmagic Design SmartScope Duo worth it?

How does the tv station store/send content? Is it some playlist on a disk drive or something?

Do you still use CRT BVMs?
Do you use them for retro gaming?

Are you a fellow ?

WHATS THE THICKEST CABLE YOUVE EVER TERMINATED

Yo. I'm a broadcast engineer in Seattle. Small world. We are rebuilding a lot of the station right now. Our racks are way worse than that.