/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #398

Will we survive the night? Edition

Welcome to another thread of How's Your Webcomic?, the place where we share the progress and ideas for our webcomic to be. Criticism, advice, idea guys and broken dreams all in one place! Hopefully no one will notice I reused the text from a previous thread!

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
capeworldcomics.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy
foxandcatadventures.tumblr.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

We are running our 4th hyw challenge! Now you have until the end of the month to do so, be an anonymous and do 1 page, 2 pages or 3 pages of comic! Check for other changes in the pic!

>THEME: Magic

>GENRE: (choose one to play around alongside the theme!)
>Lava
>Urban Fantasy
>Inventors

>DEADLINE: August 31

Remember that you can play with the theme as you see fit, we want to see how creative you can get!

Maybe I should specify that the end of the month bit means that's when the biweekly deadline ends, not that the challenges are monthly. Please understand.

Thanks. I'm not really sure how I should change the hands honestly. I just tried to make them look slender and bony. And yeah, that hose is like a rubber covering for the joints. I'm thinking the higher end ones will have propulsion on the back so you have the precise front limbs and then the cybernetic legs are re-purposed as power lifter back arms.

Their anatomy in general is inspired by this model kit which has a similar "transformation" function involved where the legs become arms when it flies.

although if we did them every midmonth and endmonth it might be easier to remember and keep straight

Does anyone here draw their comic by hand and then scan it?

>Bony
they look more like what I would expect a living plant to have, leaflike fingers that form together into a slender blossom.. or something out of dr seuss. if you want them bony, maybe give them knobby knuckle joints. Personally I would imagine the galaxy's most dextrous hands to be something like a gecko's paws except each thick round grippy pad tip has a small pointy tip at the end for finer manipulation. I would also imagine a thumb on each side of the hand for a symmetrical grip and two-sided joystick action
also I love me some robots whose legs become arms. model kits are the best inspiration

if it's any consolation, when they're opened up their hands are radially symmetrical so it is kind of like a flower except each petal is a thumb.

The user whose artist does the comic they write all in watercolor.

forgotten and rotting on the back end of the internet where it belongs

Page came out kind of meh.

Trying to keep the story in small 12-page sections to avoid going off on long tangents. This is the end of a section. There's sort of two possible directions for the next section.

One is to move forward with her narrative, and she finds out about her father. The other option is his narrative, and him moving forward with the item she stole. I -think- it'll probably be his narrative first, and then hers after that. I have a few days to decide which.

I think maybe I should have had a panel with her handing him the thing she stole. Here it just shows her reaching into her bag, then he has it in later panels.

What do you think about this character:
An egomanical monarch who wants to disrupt a decade-old ceasefire among warring kingdoms in order to "cleanse" royal bloodlines of weak members.

Too cliche?

and now for my next piece

Not if it's comedy

and a lil one for bad measure

>that shit eating grin in the second panel

Good stuff. But I don't really get the joke. Have all people decided for tricks or does the guy only go to this one house or what?

I might do a second house but I'm not sure yet. I guess if I have to explain the joke then there is no joke

He's wearing a stage magician outfit as his costume, so everyone says "trick" because they want to see a magic trick.

You need to work on perspective. Panel 5 is...oofadoof.

It's not that jarring calm ur tits

gonna repost this one since it's been a while and i finished the second page

and that's it.
bye forever 8)

New Wilfreda the Wanna-Be Witch strip. Miss Mimi is just trying to teach Math, for crying out loud...

Autism befriends autism?

If that were the case coldfusion and dewd would be friends but dewd hates cf.

We've also started work on the slightly smutty spinoff comic our Patreon patrons voted for.

Oh I'm retarded, this makes perfect sense. My bad.

Hey do you have a blog or something?
Anyway I do have her character worked out but I guess never had considered anything beyond what I initially drew her in (first concept was traveling alchemist working for a wizard but wasn't a wizard herself.)
I guess I'll do a character write up at my computer.

I noticed!

Weird question, but does anyone have some ideas for office themed super powers? I'm trying to come up with a cool super hero comic, where the main characters works in an office or some kind of newspaper publisher like the daily bugle. And he gets some kind of weird office based super powers. I was thinking something like whatever he writes comes to life could be cool.

oh that's perfect then

Something with fixing a printer, that would be godlike in the office. You should watch office space not just couse it's about a dude and his life being part of an office but it's also a very entertaining movie.

XD I think I may have just gotten an idea. Thanks for the suggestion. That movie looks like fun, I'll give it a watch.

Turning the water into coffee a la jesus turning water into wine, you have a worker and a coffee machine all in one!

This is so fucking trueceratops

lovin this earlier halloween every year.
it makes him look super tall, but as we see in prior panels, he IS super tall. Not that tall, but that does mean the error is less bad

I suggest watching SHINESMAN for inspiration and because it's just 2 episodes and is funny

Before visual development gets the better of me, is there anyone in here with experience as an editor? Not just in the dialogue editing bits but overall? (Story telling decisions and the like)

Thats that sentai parody anime right? Its been on my watch list for ages. Will have to watch it now for sure.

Only get to work on this on the weekends, but I'm enjoying thinking about how different intelligent races would operate in the same world together.

I feel like the xenophobia we see in our world would actually end up uniting humanity against non-humans.

Also that Humanity's defining trait may be the unwillingness to just settle down and inhabit a niche in the world, constantly wanting to expand and change new lands to suit their needs.

I don't like the idea that any intelligent race would be "all good" or "all evil"- but I can definitely see massive culture clash.

Nobody uses editors anymore except the nips

My favorite part is that, aside from the requisite red leader, their colors are all acceptable office hues, like brown and olive green

It's Friday, so Capeworld comics has another comic-this time with a bonus text story explaining some of the lore and backstory behind the "Metal Animals" world of B-7-O.

If you voted in the last /hyw/ challenge the comic will look familiar but the text story is entirely new, and I deeply appreciate any feedback and comments anyone can give on it.

capeworldcomics.com/

Why wouldn't I want an editor?

We're going to be entering this one as well.

Does anyone like the mahou shojo genre? We're doing a take on this where the world's first magical girl (called Magical Girl) grows up and becomes Magical Woman-one of Japan's strongest superhumans. When she's not being Japan's Dr. Strange she teaches and protects young magical girls.

Basically "what if Sally the Witch/Megu-Chan grew up and had to deal with the modern breed of "post-modern" dysfunctional magic girls as seen in Madokka and Yuki Yunna is a Hero."

The three page comic won't be that dark, but that's the direction I want to steer the character.

What do you think thread?

I myself am a fan of magical girls and like the concept of there being an elder roping them in rather than something like kyuubei.

>that art. giant head guys
Love it.
>uniting humanity against non-humans
really? you think that?

Yeah- I think humans need to feel like they have a "us" and a "them". And of course in any group of "us" there will be infighting. But if the difference between you and another human is skin color, and the difference between you and a non-human is that they are 10 ft tall, 600 lbs, and can chew rocks- you may see the non-human as the "them" pretty easily.

yeah but we're bound to love some of them
Outlaw Star had the best alien layout, and explained "the Silgrians seem almost TOO friendly"

That's basically the idea. It's almost like Kingdom Come for magical girls except instead of the old heroes having to fight to get the new heroes under control the old heroes have to save them from cosmic predators seeking to stamp out hope.

I don't know. It seems to me that in the absence of a "reason" to hate a group human races tend to hate their own far more than another group.

The Japanese tend to hate Koreans and Chinese more than anyone. The British tend to hate the Irish and French more than anyone. The different states and subcultures in the US hate each other

The US largely didn't give a shit about Japan until Pearl Harbor. People in Europe didn't give a shit about the Mid-East until the migrant crisis.

Humans aren't really going to care about what a 10 ft tall giant does with his spare time unless they start causing trouble and give them a reason to hate.

And with there being so many different kinds of non-humans it's likely humans are only going to hate certain kinds.

It's something that's always bothered me about X-men. Realistically no one is going to lump a group as diverse as mutants together. No one is going to be terrified of people like Cyclops or Colossus whose powers essentially mean they're living artillery pieces. EVERYONE is going to be terrified of Jean Gray and Professor Xavier because our social structures disintegrate when someone can wipe your mind and make you forget they did it.

oh absolutely! There are of course humans and non-humans that can and do get along. Especially when the non-human doesn't seem threatening, or when there is commerce involved.

Goblins in this world are nomadic and constantly scavenging. They tend to find a lot of interesting items, and will happily barter with humans.

However another underlying element in this world is that humans can only use magic when utilizing the proper medium. The best medium to use is harvested organic parts from creatures with inherent magic in them.

Unfortunately for non-humanoids, almost all of them have inherent magic, and so to make a glyph of speed, or a wand you'll need something like a goblin bone, or orc blood, or dragon tooth, and etc.

And thanks to some breakthroughs in magic (and a few other background things going on) humanity is going through a magical (militaristic) renaissance.

That's my thoughts as well. Think aliens in Star Trek. No one there hates "aliens" in general. They hate certain types of aliens. The reason humans dominate the Federation is because they're smart enough not to piss other races off.

I agree- right now things have been pushed into a fever pitch thanks to a combination of humans attempting to colonize a new continent (new as in they only were able to access it a few hundred years ago), and the recent discovery of how to work very potent magic through the use of non-human essences.

(to clarify, humans have known how to work magic for a long time now, but it was all "unstructured" magic. Only usable in small amounts, or else it became too dangerous. It was the discovery of how to employ non-human essences to create "structured" magic.)

The worst thing in the world isn't someone totally alien, you can forgive that. It's someone who's ALMOST right, but fucking it up. For one thing, you see that others outside your group(s) will start confusing you with them.

i think i just about got the anim right

A friend suggested we caption this page "double penetration".

Cool idea

I missed the update date, I'm closer to being a real webcomic artist now!

Welp done with this strip. Now that I got more motivation I will work more on this so I don't get caught by the schedule again -and I can already get that tumblr page done for these english ones-

>back after weeks of traveling
>notebook full of panel sketches and further adventure ideas

I'M ON FIRE
TIME TO MAKE SOME MORE COMFY PANELS

Damn, I'll do my best to enter this time!

Something about making my character into a scientist has made me eager to make my comic even more. I can just imagine how many goals and Sci-fi stuff I can come up with using this concept. Altho I feel the labcoat is an overused thing on Sci-fi characters I plan to remove it when she's doing normal stuff

>scientist
I bet he has only a bachiller and believes gender is a spectrum

Nah, more like a Rick-tier Sci-fi crap. Using normal science isn't interesting.

Is she going to be another preachy scientist who can't control his euphoria? I'll be honest, there's a lot like that out there.
Also, is that down there her name or is the artist name (female)?

brainlet here
what is urban fantasy?

It's like Tolkien, but with more Hip-Hop music.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy

Moar comics!

Dracula's gonna make a comeback.

okay

- Also, how great would it be if you could just not have any text in any comic pages? And still convey all the necessary information?

Yes, I hate those bubbles too. Mess up all of my composition!

What do you think guys? I'm planning to make a webcomic about summer camp, semi-realistic, semi-magical with a creepypasta wibe.
Also do I have a chance on comissions market?

beautifully done!

Was this a sketch from your imagination, a study, or a combination?

Thank you! It's based on a photo from Artek, famous soviet pioneer camp. I'm going to draw from live figure or use photos. Maybe in color.

Redid her actual clothes save for the pants but without the poncho, the silhouette feels a little bare. Plus not exactly knowing where to throw her potions belt.
Any ideas for clothing additions?

>Chun Li buns

good taste

>pic
Where can I read the rest?

foxandcatadventures.tumblr.com

Be reminded I can't draw for my life.

Also, I got fanart by mail! Holy fuck, this is amazing!

Have you ever gotten fanart, /hyw/?

Would a four person cast for a horror story work well?
Some of the main cast is going to die, but I feel like leaving the main cast at only 3 people as early as I want one of the characters to die won't work out very well.

I also want the entire main cast to watch another person die from the threat in the comic just to establish it as a threat, but every time I try and think of a character to put in there as a jobber it feels kind of forced.

You and your writer fuck im sure of it...

where do I find an artist for a relationship like this?

>the silhouette feels a little bare
I think the main robe is perfect. You could make the pants match by having a broad, unbunched ankle. Maybe little boots
>not exactly knowing where to throw her potions belt
part of it is that her legs are twice as long as they should be.

wow, a real actual postcard. that's awesome
I've gotten some fanart.. here and there..

Hah you're right they are. Always happens when I draw zoomed in. I'll tweak it later but they might also go there.

four is death, why not?
what if they have a dog and it gets killed? that's sad and threatening but doesn't hurt the story
>draw a neckbeard stereotype
>clearly a girl's room

>black butler
>pocky on display
>DRRR
couldn't be more obvious

I have got fanart from when I was in college, we would draw some OCs and then the rest of the group of friends would draw them in their style each.

Good times.

A dog getting killed is what alerts the MC to the threat initially, but the rest of the characters enter the story one by one as time goes on.

The nature of the threat itself is something that's very easy to dismiss, and the personality of some of the cast members would more than likely leave them skeptical about it, so that's why I'm kind of at a loss here. Basically, all they have to go off is a somewhat mentally unstable dude telling them that there's something that will kill them.

Its ac120 on tumblr, by the way.

That description is a good place to start. Have you decided on what an alchemist does in your story? Are they like potion mixers? Poisoners? Is your character traveling around? If so , what type of stuff does she do while she is traveling and and what kind of stuff does she need to carry to do them? Is she traveling in a cold or hot region? Does she wear ethnic type clothing and what kind of personal fashion sense does she have?

I am working on a magical girl comic, although the main character doesn't really view magical girl-ing as a good thing and actively discouraging up-n-comers to participate in something like that. She sees it as something more akin to child soldiering. Depending on which faction the girls join, there could be dire consequences.

I sketch digitally and then print it to ink it traditionally.

I'm sure you've heard this before but it sounds like madoka.

Not him but If I read the wiki right, there isn't much that's the same, why do you feel it's like madoka?

Not that user but maybe it's the zombie thing? Althought that's a bit of a stretch.

In the PSP game which has some extra routes written by the same creator of the show there is a route where one of the girls gets her soul gem (with her literal soul) too far away from her body too long, so the body becomes a corpse and decompose appropiately until they get the gem soul back to her. Thing is, the decomposition stays the same.

To be fair I like Madoka but damn if people overrated it too much on the whole "deconstruction of magical girls!" thing. Now anything that isn't just pink and cheerful is a Madoka wannabe.

i'd rather see the reconstruction of magical girls really. maybe going back to their 60s sitcom roots and including more go nagai kind of shit just to keep it peppery

>we will never get a truck killing a magical girl again

Part of my Magical Woman series is a reconstruction When she's not saving young magical girls from being prayed on by cosmic hope-eaters she's teaching them and caring for them like a surrogate mother.

The tone of the story is generally comfy. The three page comic we're entering for the latest challenge is about her taking on a yokai wolf girl as a student and how shocked the wolf princess is at seeing that the mighty Empress of Croatoan that saved her parents and the entire Makai world...is now just an old lady tending her garden like a commoner.

What was this?

Madoka had a "lose your humanity get turned into a monster" thing for its magical girls. And every magical girl was also a lich on the side.

I do like how your webcomic looks. Do you have anymore?

My interest in Madoka is in the shape of Enron stocks. Once I suspended my disbelief for why no one got an adult and why no one ever really got creative with their wishes I enjoyed it mostly for how cool the witches were. My interest peaked at the lich reveal because I thought they were going to do something interesting with it.

Then it got to muh time travel. And muh heat death. And I didn't even bother watching the last two episodes and according to the wiki I dodged a bullet there.

>Deconstruction

I never got why people attach this to Madoka. It doesn't deconstruct anything because it doesn't actually confront the logical extremes of its genre's conventions and tropes like so say Watchmen did for superheros or Paranoia Agent with several escapist anime genres.

It was just dark and violent and dark and violent doesn't actually make a deconstruction.

>What was this?
Magical Princess Minky Momo (or Gigi if your country is European or Latinamerican). It was a magical girl show from the 80s that was kind of like the grandmother of the "Star vs" cartoon.

The truck bit was because at some point in production the toy company that was their sponsor pulled their support, so the guys on the show made a toy delivery truck kill her at the end of the first season. She reincarnated into an actual Earth human girl so it's fine. Kinda.

People think it is a deconstruction just because it became grim and dark and the magical girls meet dark ends. Most of this people forgot -or didn't know- that pretty much a lot of old school magical girl anime did this already. Sailor Moon had their cast killed a lot and the villains did a lot of deep shit, for one. But of course most of the people that say Madoka is a deconstruction only watched series that were really deep on the sugar side of the genre.